TL-191: After the End

Oh, one more question about the Papacy I forgot to ask: Does the Vatican City eventually become its own country via an ATL Lateran Treaty?
The independence of Vatican City was not formalized until 1955 in TTL.
Okay, now I'm really curious about other things related to it.

1) Was there a treaty similar to Lateran Pact?
2) What are the borders of Vatican City? Is it similar to OTL, does it include Leonine City or are the borders radically different?
3) Was there ever an ecumenical council? If so, what were the main topics discussed?
4) Did a non-Italian pope ever get elected? When and who? Papal name?

Sorry if these questions may be too difficult to answer without doing some accurate research.

Apparently it’s because the US was too weak to enforce the Monroe doctrine, so European coalition invaded Brazil to re-install Pedro II. I personally don’t like it since Pedro himself didn’t care if the monarchy was overthrown so why would Europe?
I don't remember the books saying that. But, considering all the butterfly effects, like the Central Powers winning WW1 and the Whites winning in Russia, in the series, I'm not surprised that Brazil is still an Empire. And if that was the case, a distant relative of Pedro could have been installed by the European coalition.
In my head cannon, I think the coup does still happen, but it happens on either a smaller scale or it's maybe the same size. This would be as a result of military support and training from the European powers, thus more of that means the Empire are able to quash it, and the end result either way ends with the defeat and execution of the plotters. The coup attempt would still not be to far removed from the abolition of slavery, which was one of the immediate causes for the reactionary, ultraconservative aristocracy to mount the coup. Also, Princess Isabella wouldn't take the throne as the male-dominated society would not have accepted her, even after acting as regent for her father many times in his later years. She herself wasn't interested in ruling. The throne would have realistically passed onto her then-teenage son, Prince Pedro de Alcântara upon his grandfather's death IOTL. In my head cannon as well, I go by zoidberg12's original Empire of Brazil post on Filling the Gaps before he edited it as the most realistic in-universe explanation for Turtledove's mistake of having a Pedro IV rule during GW1, in which he had Prince Afonso, Duke of Porto of the Portuguese branch of the House of Braganza rule as Pedro III. Afonso dies early of Malaria, and Crown Prince Pedro takes the throne by then.

Does the USA still regularly practice the death penalty?
Does the rest of the world?
How are is the second amendment treated in this more militarized, but more authoritarian America.

By 2023, capital punishment is still practiced in the USA, and is also practiced in other countries, including in all of the great powers.

-
By 2023, there is a high level of civilian gun ownership in the USA. However, the laws and regulations pertaining to guns is different in comparison to the USA in our world.

The police throughout the USA have a very wide degree of latitude to confiscate guns from anyone determined to be a danger to themselves or to the community. The legal process for purchasing guns is also more drawn out and bureaucratic than in our world. This is a legacy of laws and regulations dating back to the early 20th Century that gave local police forces broad authority to act against those viewed as a threat to the US government. This is also a legacy of the harsh experiences by US forces in combating insurgencies in Interwar Occupied Canada, Utah, Kentucky, Sequoyah, and Houston, as well as in the former CSA after the end of the Second Great War.

By 2023, a large proportion of the US population has at least some basic experience with using and maintaining guns, because of mandatory military service.

Last edited:
In my head cannon, I think the coup does still happen, but it happens on either a smaller scale or it's maybe the same size. This would be as a result of military support and training from the European powers, thus more of that means the Empire are able to quash it, and the end result either way ends with the defeat and execution of the plotters. The coup attempt would still not be to far removed from the abolition of slavery, which was one of the immediate causes for the reactionary, ultraconservative aristocracy to mount the coup. Also, Princess Isabella wouldn't take the throne as the male-dominated society would not have accepted her, even after acting as regent for her father many times in his later years. She herself wasn't interested in ruling. The throne would have realistically passed onto her then-teenage son, Prince Pedro de Alcântara upon his grandfather's death IOTL. In my head cannon as well, I go by zoidberg12's original Empire of Brazil post on Filling the Gaps before he edited it as the most realistic in-universe explanation for Turtledove's mistake of having a Pedro IV rule during GW1, in which he had Prince Afonso, Duke of Porto of the Portuguese branch of the House of Braganza rule as Pedro III. Afonso dies early of Malaria, and Crown Prince Pedro takes the throne by then.
I guess I still don’t get how anything before the coup, like increased military training, would be any different to the extent that it could prevent/stop the coup.

How is the former Japanese Empire viewed in Ezo and the Ecological Union?

This is what I previously wrote about modern views of the Japanese Empire in the Ecological Union, slightly edited and expanded.

-
By 2023, the newly founded Ecological Union teaches its students that the former empire was yet another terrible mistake on the road to a perfect and final ecological society.

By 2023, most people in the Republic of Ezo prefer not to discuss the Japanese Empire, since doing so would mean discussing the fall of the empire in the Fourth Pacific War and the related Japanese Civil War.

How is Austria-Hungary still around by 2023?

The Austro-Hungarian Empire survived in TTL because of a combination of reforms that led to a measure of political devolution throughout the empire in the 20th Century, the legitimacy gained by the central government by emerging victorious in the two Great Wars, and strong rates of economic growth after the end of the Second Great War.

The Austro-Hungarian Empire also benefited politically, economically, and militarily in the 20th Century through its close alliance with the German Empire.

Curious to see how companies like Nintendo and Sega would be in this universe (Sega was founded in Hawaii, and Nintendo was created in the 1880s in OTL).

Sega's probably butterflied or at least incredibly unrecognizable (Dave's big on the butterfly effect) while Nintendo likely ever expanded their assets like they did IOTL and got nationalized by the JWR or something.

Sega's probably butterflied or at least incredibly unrecognizable (Dave's big on the butterfly effect) while Nintendo likely ever expanded their assets like they did IOTL and got nationalized by the JWR or something.
Parallels to Bacardi will definitely exist: Cuban assets were nationalized, the family moved to the USA and the headquarters were moved to the Bermudas in the case of OTL Bacardi. TTL's Nintendo may just as well move to the Republic of Ezo. Then again, they could move everywhere with a sizable Japanese diaspora.

TTL's Nintendo may just as well move to the Republic of Ezo. Then again, they could move everywhere with a sizable Japanese diaspora.

Point taken but there's no way they got any pull in pop-culture considering this TL is one of the worse Japan screws I've seen. The question is what they're doing without an overseas interest in hanafuda cards if anything at all. Given Nintendo only really started to rise after WWII IOTL and the FPW that lasted throughout the late 60s, I honestly think they just fold by the rise of the JWR one way or another.

This is what I previously wrote about modern views of the Japanese Empire in the Ecological Union, slightly edited and expanded.

-
By 2023, the newly founded Ecological Union teaches its students that the former empire was yet another terrible mistake on the road to a perfect and final ecological society.

By 2023, most people in the Republic of Ezo prefer not to discuss the Japanese Empire, since doing so would mean discussing the fall of the empire in the Fourth Pacific War and the related Japanese Civil War.
But wouldn't they want to vilify everything about the former Empire if they see it as a terrible mistake? 🤔