• The Maltese Cross

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Unlike Ike

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Paradise In Our Time

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So as ever I have too many ideas for a timeline and consequently never get work done on any of them. I'd like to get matters off to a more productive start on the new board, so I'm throwing open to democratic appeal the several hopefully original timeline ideas I have, with brief descriptions below. (In chronological order)

A. Some Savage Lands
Rather than the Dutch Navy horribly and unaccountably botching the capture of Martinique in 1674, they succeed. The Dutch go on to also seize Guadeloupe. As a result, come the Treaty of Nijmegen in 1678 France is reasonably desperate to trade to get the islands back; in exchange the Dutch get Quebec and Acadia. Dutch settler colony hijinks ensue. As a side POD, a single death means that the U.K. gets a different Hanoverian monarch, one that I'm fairly sure has never been considered in alternate history before. A cookie if you guess.

B. Most Past The Post
Based on a previous map series I did, the 1832 election (easily winning the prize for most obscure election in U.S. history) goes slightly differently and Van Buren fails to get a majority for VP. Enraged at the second election in a row with electoral hijinks, Jackson decided to change the rules; electors will be assigned by PV. In 1836 the Whigs' strategy of divide and conquer works, and without FPTP the U.S. lurched into a multiparty system just in time for the civil war.

C. Speak Softly
The Winter of 1892 is warmer. This has two main effects. Firstly, Prince Eddy lives long enough to marry Mary of Teck. Secondly, David Hill doesn't call a snap convention in New York, and manages to deadlock the 1892 Democratic Convention with Grover Cleveland. As a result the dark horse Calvin Brice wins that election. And he happens to think the U.S. should get active in China.

D. The Maltese Cross
The SS Ohio sinks before reaching Malta during Operation Pedestal in 1942; the island is unable to hold out any longer and falls to Germany. The British end up having to claw their way back from an even more precarious situation in North Africa and the Mediterranean.

E. Unlike Ike
President-Elect Eisenhower's plane is shot down during his trip to Korea, leaving the inexperienced, hawkish Nixon as the presumptive president. Except that the electors aren't, technically, bound to vote for him.

F. Paradise In Our Time
Nixon chooses a different running mate in 1968 - one that I'm confident no one has ever used before. Unlike Agnew, this person is competent, not corrupt, and not hawkish. Rather than political fracturing or warfare we get that rare 1970s timeline that is actually less outwardly shitty than OTL.
Again, cookie if you guess who the VP is.

So, thoughts, suggestions, favorites? I would like to know.

D. The Maltese Cross
The SS Ohio sinks before reaching Malta during Operation Pedestal in 1942; the island is unable to hold out any longer and falls to Germany. The British end up having to claw their way back from an even more precarious situation in North Africa and the Mediterranean.

Idly making a note here that the Anglo-Americans having to retake Malta will delay Sicily, which in turn has the potential to have very a bad impact on the Germans at Kursk...

Does Ohio failing to reach Malta guarantee the island's demise? Besides, the Axis advance into Egypt has already been halted, the 8th Army's massive buildup is already underway as is planning for Torch, Rommel is pretty much screwed whether the Germans have Malta or not. In fact, diverting significant forces to capture Malta takes men, supplies, aircraft, and shipping away from North Africa leaving Rommel with even less.

ben0628

Banned
Dutch Canada sounds interesting so I voted for Some Savage Land. If the Dutch own both Canada and New Amsterdam, will they still sell weapons to the Iroquois to fight Algonquin tribes who were allied to France?

My personal vote is for unlike Ike, as I think that a Nixon '52 timeline is a large rarity we don't often have the pleasure of seeing.

Dutch Canada sounds interesting so I voted for Some Savage Land. If the Dutch own both Canada and New Amsterdam, will they still sell weapons to the Iroquois to fight Algonquin tribes who were allied to France?
Thanks for the interest; a note- the Dutch actually have lost New Amsterdam effectively by the POD. So whether they sell guns to the Algonquians now to fight the Iroquois...

Nixon 1952 sounds pretty awesome.
Thanks! The 50s under Nixon would certainly be a change (if not necessarily a bad one). One more thing - since people seem to like quite a few of these choices I may try to make vignettes out of the options that aren't chosen.

ben0628

Banned
Thanks for the interest; a note- the Dutch actually have lost New Amsterdam effectively by the POD. So whether they sell guns to the Algonquians now to fight the Iroquois...

Dutch retook the city in 1764 according to Wikipedia and you said the British get a different king so I thought they wouldn't have to give it back

Dutch retook the city in 1764 according to Wikipedia and you said the British get a different king so I thought they wouldn't have to give it back

Ah I get what you're thinking - that's a reasonable course of action; but only France is really doing worse in the colonial theatre in TTL. Britain sought a separate peace in OTL where they kept New York; they still have the desire and ability to do so in TTL. So maybe not a full Dutchwank although certainly better for them than OTL.

It looks like it's coming down to a choice between The Maltese Cross and Paradise In Our Time, unless some noble soul can break the three way tie for third place...

Archibald

Banned
I voted for
Paradise In Our Time

Because I want another 1968 election / Nixon TL - once again. Talk about a popular topic on this board.