There must always be a Duke in Prussia (Tl)

There must always be a Duke in Prussia
PRVSSIA1576Casparo_Henneberg.jpg

Map of Prussia ducal Prussia is yellow royal prussia is white made by Caspar Henneberger

The reign of Albrecht Friedrich of Prussia

When Albrecht Friedrich became Duke in Prussia in March 1568 he was just 14 years old four years short of being an adult. His father and his mother died on the same day. This tragic day was the first really horrible day in his life and it wouldn’t be the last. According to the last will of Albrecht I Duke in Prussia and the laws of the duchy his leading four Oberräte (councilors) would take over the government affairs while his liege lord the King of Poland would be the legal guardian of the Teenager. So while Albrecht Friedrich grieved his late parents, four councilors ruled the duchy. These four men however had not the best intentions for young Albrecht Friedrich in mind as they would rather rule and care for their own interests.

On his first Landtag as Duke he encountered a great opposition among the estates. The negotiations for a three year long tax lasted months even though he needed the money to pay for accumulated debts. Thrown into the business of being a Reformation Era Prince with his parents dead and no relatives near him - yes without any real friends he fell into a Depression. Starting in late 1568 he began to be melancholic at times so melancholic hat no dance drink or story could lift him up anymore.

The government of ducal Prussia proved to be hard for the Councilors and Albrecht as well as the nobles, patricians, and churchmen said that Albrecht was mature enough to rule on one day to disobey the orders of the Councilors and appealed to the Councilors again if Albrecht Friedrich ordered them to do something they did not want to do. Before Albrecht Friedrich became unfit for ruling due to his growing mental illness he courted Maria Eleonore the daughter of Johann Wilhelm of Cleves and Jülich in 1572. The couple married in 1573 and they had seven children although only one son and five daughters lived to see adulthood.

Depression and the regency of Georg Friedrich

After the wedding Georg Friedrich of Brandenburg Ansbach visited the young duke as Georg Friedrich was his legal heir if the duke would produce none. In that time Albrecht’s mental state deteriorated further. At times he couldn’t drink or eat anything and at other times he drank and ate more than ever before. Sometimes he would attack people surrounding him and after that he would try to apologize for his actions. It became clear that Albrecht Friedrich was unfit to rule Prussia.

After the prussian laws and customs there would have to be a regency council made up out of the four highest councilors and the three mayors of Königsberg. Georg Friedrich wanted the regency for himself but he would have to wait until 1577. King Steven Bathory of Poland made Georg the regent in that year to the dismay of the estates. Just like the all dukes in Prussia before him the duke-regent had to fight the estates for everything. Luckily for him when the estates appealed to the King they lost.

Fischhausen_Hartknoch.jpg

Copper engraving of Fischhausen Castle and its small town

During the regency of Georg Friedrich the actual duke was retired in Fischhausen a Castle west of Königsberg at the Vistula Lagoon. Away from the court no one really cared for him in Prussia or what he thought about the political affairs of the duchy. Only his wife hoped for recovery and even saw signs for that. Sadly Albrecht Friedrich did not ever recover from his mental illness. He attracted attention of the estates and his regent however when his son was born and actually survived the early childhood as he had already had a son that died early. But Wilhelm Friedrich von Brandenburg-Preußen was born on the 4th July of 1585 and would outlive his father and his regent. Georg Friedrich died in 1603 after which Wilhelm would succeed him as regent of his father.

So yeah this isn't my first attempt at a timeline now I'm way older than when I tried the last time. I hope someone is interested in this little baltic timeline and that my english is good enough.

Last edited:
So yeah this isn't my first attempt at a timeline now I'm way older than when I tried the last time. I hope someone is interested in this little baltic timeline and that my english is good enough.
Quite interesting setting for a TL, I will follow your updates to this TL with great interest.

krieger

Banned
I'm absolutely not a (Hohenzollern) Prussia fan but this does look interesting.

But this is Prussia-screw, something usually done on Polish boards. Lack of union between Prussia and Brandenburg will lead Prussia to be a weak state, subordinated to Poland. Essentially a bigger Courland.

But this is Prussia-screw, something usually done on Polish boards. Lack of union between Prussia and Brandenburg will lead Prussia to be a weak state, subordinated to Poland. Essentially a bigger Courland.

That's why I find it interesting. I'm always interested in a Prussiascrew

Treaty of Gera

When Johann Georg Elector of Brandenburg died in 1598 he left his three sons a will in which he wanted to split the Margraviate in three parts so all his sons would receive their fair share of the inheritance. While it was technically illegal to divide Brandenburg by imperial law since the golden bull and a Hohenzollern House law it was ignored by Johann Georg’s grandfather previously which lead to the establishment of the secundogeniture of Brandenburg-Küstrin. This division of Brandenburg seemed to be rather short-lived as Johann Georg inherited Brandenburg-Küstrin and united the entire march as its sole ruler but as his will dictated Brandenburg would have to divide itself into three parts.

Kur_Brandenburg.jpg

The march of Brandenburg and the original Brandenburg-Küstrin (darker blue in the top left corner)

Joachim Friedrich did not want to divide Brandenburg but also could not just take all and ban his brothers as they had a right for their share. What a coincidence that his relative Georg Wilhelm of Brandenburg-Ansbach, Regent of Prussia, had inherited all of the frankish Hohenzollern possessions and was leaving no issue - no heir to take the two frankish principalities and the silesian duchy of Jägersdorf. Joachim Friedrich’s plan was that his brothers would serve as Georgs heir so he could rule Brandenburg alone. However Georg was not the last scion of the frankish line of the Hohenzollern. The “Domus Anspach” was still alive in form of the prussian Hohenzollern: namely the mentally ill Duke Albrecht Friedrich and his heir Wilhelm Friedrich who was already 13 years old when this happened.

Georg Wilhelm did not want to screw the young duke-to-be out of his inheritance as he oversaw much of his upbringing and education but just like Johann Georg wanted to divide what he connected by inheritance he also saw no issue to divide his principalities as they were seen as separate entities with the same ruler. So Georg Wilhelm decided to divide his territories. In the treaty of Gera in 1599 the family would determine that Joachim Georg would inherit Brandenburg with the Electorship but with a smaller version of Brandenburg-Küstrin stripped away which would go to one of his younger brothers and Brandenburg-Kulmbach in Frankonia which would go to the other brother. Georg Wilhelms remaining possessions Brandenburg-Ansbach and Jägersdorf were to be inherited by the young Wilhelm Friedrich.

Markgraf_Georg_Friedrich_(reg._1557-1603)_Gemälde_von_Lucas_Cranach_d._J._(1515-1586).jpg

Margrave Georg Friedrich of Brandenburg-Ansbach-Kulmbach Duke of Jägersdorf Administrator in Prussia was described by contemporaries as devout lutheran.

The reign of Wilhelm in Prussia 1585 – 1630

Childhood and adolescence

Born in 1585 Wilhelm Friedrich did not have the greatest childhood as his father was mentally ill. Prussia’s regent Georg Friedrich tried to keep him away from the potentially destabilizing influence of Will’s depressed father and tried to take the young lad under his wing. When he wanted to start a Grand Tour through the great cities of Europe he couldn’t as he had to take the regency of the duchy over from his deceased Uncle[1] in 1603. After he was confirmed as regent of Prussia by the King Sigismund III of Poland in Cracow in late 1603 he ruled his heirloom for one and a half year when he would finally start his Grand Tour through Europe during which he would also visit his new frankish and silesian territories where he ruled in his own right.

[1] Georg Friedrich was no actual uncle of Wilhelm Friedrich they’re not as closely related but it was custom at the time to call everyone uncle who was older than you and noble

Sorry for not updating this and probably killing all interest this started to gather. I hope my writing is okay and I'm sorry that as of right now I can't do anything against very similar sounding double-names and Brandenburg-citynames as the names are all still OTL. The only thing that have changed until now is that Brandenburg is screwed compared to OTL as they won't gain Prussia, are being divided by inheritance laws and well the next update will be about Jülich-Kleve-Berg. Feel free to criticize me.

Last edited:
The only thing that have changed until now is that Brandenburg is screwed compared to OTL as they won't gain Prussia, are being divided by inheritance laws and well the next update will be about Jülich-Kleve-Berg. Feel free to criticize me.
You had my curiosity with the Brandenburg screw, but now you have my attention with the United Duchies of Berg.

I'm intrigued and I'll wait for the next update!

I am really interested in this... any Brandenburg screw sound lovely to me (I do not hate them but I am an Habsburg girl so..)

I don't know much about the historical period but it sounds very interesting.
I can't wait for Brandenburg to become the analogue of the Thuringia OTL. 😛