There came a ship to Bjørgvin in 1349

Hello there AlternativeHistory, after lurking around here wanting to contribute something for half a year I have finally settled for a TL. Criticism is very welcome together with contribution towards, for example say how Sweden fared or Denmark fared as my knowledge on that are is not that great on that subject.
Also be aware of grammatical errors or some sentences perhaps not making sense. If you find any of them please tell me! Hopefully you enjoy.

den-norske-love-3.png

There came a ship to Bjørgvin in 1349

August 1347: Sigurd Havtoresson, who together with his brother the most prominent men in Norway after the king, due to him being the grandchild of Håkon V Magnusson, is on the orders of the current King, Magnus VII of Sweden and Norway, appointed lagmann and lensmann of Oslo and Akerhus respectively.

POD

June 1348: The Plague arrives in Oslo and Sigurd tries to combat its spread by putting the city under quarantine. The disease is contained to Oslo, but decimates 33% of its 3500 citizens.
He also sends a decree to the major ports of Eastern Norway to do the same, as he is certain the disease came by ship.

standard_16800.jpg

A popular depiciton of the Black Plague going in Norway, its sickle is used to harvet the humans.

July 1348: Due to Sigurds fast response Eastern Norway is partly spared from the Plague due to a number of important ports like Tønsberg and Skien closing their ports. The only major areas of deaths occur in Oslo and some scattered coastline villages where traders wanted to deliver their goods due to Oslo and other ports being closed.

September 1348: Due to the reports of coastline villages being decimated by plague after buying from foreign ships a stigma grows throughout Norway towards foreign traders.

October 1348: Bergenhus and Stavanger closes their ports after reports of the plague reach them.

December 1348: A great famine occurs in the coastline of Eastern Norway due to the stop grain imports, Sigurd, acclaimed for stopping the plague from spreading, tries to buy domestically grown food from inland farmers and forces other wealthy people to do the same. Even so, about 5% of the Norwegians living in Eastern Norway die to starvation. The church gives Sigurd their full support and follow suit.

April 1349: In an attempt to stop the country from suffering the same fate two winters after each other Sigurd orders every ablebodied man too increase the amount of food stored. He also beings collect food tax. In Bjørgvin they begin encouraging fishing due to the terrain not being well suited for support the entire population through farming. Also, huge swathes of land owned by the church are rented out for free to increase the efficiency of production, and in most monasteries the monks work to help the population.

May 1349: A trading ship lands tries to land in Bjørgvin but due to the port being shut, it have to turn back to England. Unknown to the populations, the ship never makes due to it carrying the plague.

September 1349: Several villages and farms are decimated on the Swedish-Norwegian border and the plague begins spreading up towards the coast. Almost 50% of everyone living on the border dies, but the closer they get to Oslo and Romeriket the percentage drastically falls due to stigma and the local nobles, lagmenn and lensmenn who enforce procedures to fight it.

October 1349: The Church sees a huge amount of donations from the common folk so that they can be spared from famine and the plague.

December 1349: Due to the church and Sigurds attempt to contain famine and plague, the population of Norway is spared, but most people go hungry because of rationing.

January 1350: The last incident of someone dying of plague in Norway is the Bishop of Stavanger, Pål Bårdsson. Even so, at the gathering of the council of the realm (rigsrådet), there was made a conclusion to have the ports of Norway closed for another year just to be sure of no more deaths occurring.

320x.jpg

Depiction of the last known casualty, Pål Bårdsson

Due to Sigurds fast actions and the population’s response to his actions only 20% of the Norwegian population dies.

Lagmann: A representative of the peasants, from 1274 after the reforms of Magnus Lagabøte they functioned as judges.

Sysselmann: The man who had control of a certain syssel, which was way Norways territories was administrated after the end of the 12th century

Lensmann: A tittle a vassal of Norway gained from the King over an area to administrate. After Magnus Lagabøte’s reforms these titles was converted to baron titles. Even so, just to make it simpler for me ill use this to refer to those appointed by the king to govern the larger towns and their surrounding territories.

Romeriket: An area of Norway located parallel with Oslo towards the border of Sweden

Rigsrådet: Or the council of the realm was a council that emerged during the 14th century in Norway as its most powerful institution. It was a gathering of the most influential men of Norway who proclaimed who would be King, how the realm was governed during regencies and in this instance during crisis where the King was absent.

Last edited:

Don Quijote

Banned
This looks good so far, and I'll definitely keep up with this thread. Is this related to the AHC in January about a stronger Norway? And how important is the trading ship which was turned away and never returned?

This looks good so far, and I'll definitely keep up with this thread. Is this related to the AHC in January about a stronger Norway? And how important is the trading ship which was turned away and never returned?

Yes it is, I was the OP of that thread and have long wanted to do a thread on Norway as litterarly no one have done one yet :noexpression:

As for the trade ship? Well, it is more of a symbolic event and was long attributed as the first instance of the plague reaching Norway. It was also recorded in Islandic Sagas as the first event. As for reality, there are records of the plague already occuring in Oslo and Eastern Norway as far up as Hamar (Near Mjøsa the largest lake in norway) during the summer of 1448, but I diverted that to not be as impactful due to the Main character Sigurd Havtoressons actions. Eastern Norway held the largest portion of the Norwegian population due to it being more feasible for agriculture whilst Bergen and the coastline northwards from there focused more trade and fishing, with Lofoten being the prime example of a place fishers travelled during the summer season.

The trade ship most likely did not have that much affect on the outcome of Norways decimation during the Black Plague other than in perhaps Bergen and its surrounding areas which I also diverted.

Even so, the economical effect on Norway for closing its ports for 2 whole years are significant with Bergen perhaps suffering the most of them all

The Situation of Norway in 1350

Population change

After what would later be described as the "mannedauden" [1] over 20% of the Norwegian people had perished from the Bubonic plague but also a large portion from famine. Even so, the state of Norway was in a much better position than almost any other place in the world, except for Poland and Milan.

The hardest struck places in Norway were the coastal towns, the border with Sweden and Oslo. Also there had been deaths due to famine inland and especially around the areas of Bergen where they had little access to grain, though the fishing industry helped a lot.

Overall the population of Norway had went from 350-400 000 to 310 000. The hardest hit groups in society were the priests and burghers. Both had been severely hit for different reasons, many of the priests had tried to care for the sick but had themselves been infected, the last example being Pål Bårdsson. The Burghers on the other hand had been first for the obvious reasons, they lived by trade, in urban centres and near the coast, and thus when the plague arrived many of them were the first to die. Another reason, not such an obvious one, was that during the quarantine of Norway, or rather Norway shutting all its ports, their livelihood had been taken away and many had been forced to move out of the towns to find farmland to work on. Here many had died from famine, and those who did survive had no economic ground to stand on anymore and ended up poorly with what little land they had acquired for their money.

The four biggest cities of Norway had also been severely damaged, but not at all as hard as most other European counterparts.

Bergen went from 8000 to 6500 (most being to famine and emigration to the country side)

Oslo went from 3500 to 1700 (being severely hit by plague, famine and emigration this was the city most severely stricken)

Nidaros went from 3000 to 2500 (mostly due to famine and emigration and it being a religious centre)

Tønsberg went from 1500 to 1000 (famine, plague because of the lands around it being one of the most fertile in Norway)

Economic damage

The economic damage on the Norwegian economy had been severe, with the state barely holding on (though much stronger than in OTL). The country had now gathered itself behind which everyone believed had saved them from certain doom (those who died had nothing to say in the matter :p). Thus the administration of the country was headed by the Sigurd Havtoresson and his riksdag.

200px-S%C3%B8rum_komm.svg.png

The coat of arms of the familiy of Sigurd Havetoresson, the Sudreims

As for the general population, the burghers and clergy had been hit hard, many were dead and some of the churches were without educated priests. The nobility had also lost a lot of its land and economic foundation but was better off, though many less wealthy nobles ended up as farmers of their earlier owned lands. The Peasants of the realm were the ones that fared best, perhaps even profiting from the plague in that century as food prices doubled, with them being the ones with abundance of that item. Also, before the plague many peasants were leilendiger, meaning they rented earth from richer farmers or nobles. When the plague struck, many just decided to take over land that was left without ownership due to everyone there dying, or taking over the rent free land from the clergy. Those who stayed as leiledinger saw the rent of their work lower as it became harder to sell land and their wages increased, again for the same reason. All in all, the plague had for some reason narrowed down the great difference of wealth in the country. However the upper nobility was still much more wealthy than most of the population.

Leilendinger: Was the Norwegian equvalent of Serfs, but here as in OTL this gradually disappeared in Norway because so much earth was left alone and everything became cheaper for them. Also the lower nobility disappeared in Norway in OTL and became peasants themselves.

[1] In our timeline the the Black Death was commonly know in Norway as "Den Store Mannedauden" which litterarly translate to "The Great Mandeath", though ITL I called it "mannedauden" or "Mandeath" due to it killing only 20% rather than 50-66%

Last edited:

Don Quijote

Banned
Good summary of how the different groups in Norway were affected in different ways by the plague. I never realised that peasants (Leilendiger) were able to take over their master's land so easily after he died. Hoping to see Norway recover soon!

If you want I can PM you a list of grammar fixes, but don't worry, it's easy to understand.

Good summary of how the different groups in Norway were affected in different ways by the plague. I never realised that peasants (Leilendiger) were able to take over their master's land so easily after he died. Hoping to see Norway recover soon!

If you want I can PM you a list of grammar fixes, but don't worry, it's easy to understand.

Thanks, yeah I tried my best with what limited information I could find.
Hit me with you best!

Leilendinger: Was the Norwegian equvalent of Serfs, but here as in OTL this gradually disappeared in Norway because so much earth was left alone and everything became cheaper for them. Also the lower nobility disappeared in Norway in OTL and became peasants themselves.

This is at least an simplification. :)

In Norway there were to types of "farmers" belove the owner of the farmed land.

"Leilendinger" rented regular farms, and had no obligations to the owner besides paying rent.

"Husmen" on the other hand, were somehow comparable to serfs, but besides beeing economical dependent on the owner on the land, were considered free men.

This is at least an simplification. :)

In Norway there were to types of "farmers" belove the owner of the farmed land.

"Leilendinger" rented regular farms, and had no obligations to the owner besides paying rent.

"Husmen" on the other hand, were somehow comparable to serfs, but besides beeing economical dependent on the owner on the land, were considered free men.

Well, my knowledge on that certain field is quite limited so this kind of help is very much appreciated. Other than this being a TL I like make it is also a learning experience so thanks :)
Well, the Leilendinger often ended up in debt due to not being able to pay the rent and thus could not move. Also, in the medieval ages in Norway since earth was so sparse and many owned money or other resources to wealthier people they could not really move. So they were infact forced to live there and in my understanding they were generally only this in theory and not practice, but there are always those who are the exceptions. This did though disappear after the Black Death as earth became more abundant and many older farms actually ended up being abonded because there was too few men to work on it.

Well, the Leilendinger often ended up in debt due to not being able to pay the rent and thus could not move. Also, in the medieval ages in Norway since earth was so sparse and many owned money or other resources to wealthier people they could not really move. So they were infact forced to live there and in my understanding they were generally only this in theory and not practice, but there are always those who are the exceptions.

All of this is ofcourse true. My main point is that in no way juridicaly were Leilendinger considered Serfs.

This did though disappear after the Black Death as earth became more abundant and many older farms actually ended up being abonded because there was too few men to work on it.

This is both right and wrong. After the Black death there was an general redistribution of land because of the large loss of population. But the system of Leilendinger actualy did not start to gradualy disapear until the beginning of the 18th Century.

And the system og Husmen continued until early 20th Century! :eek:

All of this is ofcourse true. My main point is that in no way juridicaly were Leilendinger considered Serfs.

Yes, but even so... I am focusing more on the impact on the peasents practical situation generally, not what their theoretical rights were.

This is both right and wrong. After the Black death there was an general redistribution of land because of the large loss of population. But the system of Leilendinger actualy did not start to gradualy disapear until the beginning of the 18th Century.

And the system og Husmen continued until early 20th Century! :eek:

This is too right and wrong, after the black death we see in a lot of instances that the redistribution of land was more of a grab and take thing rather than "redistribution" as many began working on lands which they did not even pay taxes for until the 1390s. This was due to the governments failure of ability to collect taxes from these farms. Even so, though this practice kept on after the Black Death, its stranglehold on the peasants was nowhere near what it was before the Black Death. Overall the peasant got better living standards, many was also better fed. Though I do not disagree with the practice not disappearing, I have to accentuate that it wasn't as present as before. Also, this is an ATL and everything within reason is within possibilty (Though this is not ASB).

This is too right and wrong, after the black death we see in a lot of instances that the redistribution of land was more of a grab and take thing rather than "redistribution" as many began working on lands which they did not even pay taxes for until the 1390s. This was due to the governments failure of ability to collect taxes from these farms. Even so, though this practice kept on after the Black Death, its stranglehold on the peasants was nowhere near what it was before the Black Death. Overall the peasant got better living standards, many was also better fed.
You are quite right. I might have used the Word redistribution in the wrong way. English is not my first Language... :eek:

Sorrowly jolly

Deep into the forest bordering Sweden, east of the river Glomma, the farms lay deserted in the provinces of Bohuslen and southern Akerhus, huge swaths of fertile land had been abandoned. This area would become a land of opportunists, over the course of the next three years after the black plague, over 5000 people would move and take over these farms. Especially many would travel from the area surrounding Hamar and Opplandene. In the 1500s, an unknown historian who lived in Hamar wrote a small script, the so called Hamarkrøniken, depicting what he called the golden age of Hamar. In this script he estimated that the population of Hamar and its closest farms and villages would go from 1800 able-bodied men to 1200. He stated that “And were it very it not sorrowly jolly in summer, when you rowed through Hamar city, with all the herbs and trees smelling so good”, but then he states, “So came the Black Death, though they did not kill our sons. Rather with her she took them, and confused them into sinner’s land”.

012wWWrRVmHi

The river Glomma near it end

Many writers of Norwegian History, would often call the decade after the Black Death for “mørketiden” or “The Dark Times”, signifying an ages of rebuilding and economical desperation. Even so, many of them states, thanks to the geniuses of the Sudreim brothers, Sigurd Havtoresson and Jon Havtoresson, with the authority and sturdiness of Sigurd and the innovation of Jon, Norway dragged itself out of the dirt.

The silence

April 1351
After another year of closed ports, Sigurd who now had the Riksråd solemnly behind him and thus became the most powerful personality in Norway, even more powerful than the King Magnus VII of Sweden-Norway. Sigurd decided that it would be best to still be cautious as the plague could hit anytime again, so on his own vast wealth he funded a series of inspectors along the coastline of Akerhuslen which all traders must pass through. He also encourages in public, though this is considered obligatory, that the nobles in control of the Syssels and lens do the same, although not doing it would be considered suicide.

June 1351
Two trading vessels arrive from The Hanseatic League, offering a much needed amount of resources not found in Norway. They also bring with them stories from Denmark and Northern Germany, both countries had been devastated by the plague and they stated that two years earlier the streets of Hamburg lay littered with corpses.

September 1351
With no word having reached them from the King, the Riksråd appoints Sigurd Havtoresson Drottsete of Norway, making him the “Regent of Kingdom of Norway and all her lands”. Also, with the harvesting of crops all around Norway the economy which is currently in tatters gain a small boost, though insignificant it helps keep the government running.

May 1352
Sigurd and his brother begins working out a new way to administrate Norway, though this is just an idea for now, as the economy cannot tackle any changes for the time being.

June-October 1352
A resurgence of Norwegian Fishers and Merchants arrive once more, with the fishing grounds north of Bergen being especially productive.

012sA3kYizzL

A painting of how the houses up in Lofoten, one of the most productive areas looked like. This is from the 19th century

Winter 1352-53
With no words from Sweden having arrived, Sigurd decides to lead an expedition into Dalarne and Vastergotland to assert the situation.

April 1353
A retinue of two hundred knights and Sigurd leaves Oslo to gain knowledge of what have happened in Sweden. Sigurd leaves his brother Jon in charge of Oslo whilst he is gone, and the Riksråd to fare for themselves.

This TL is interesting the consequences in Norway will under no doubt influence politics in the rest of europe.

I am allways interested in Norwegian TLs and I will follow this closely.

This TL is interesting the consequences in Norway will under no doubt influence politics in the rest of europe.

I am allways interested in Norwegian TLs and I will follow this closely.

Yes, but I try to keep it locally for now, but there is an endless choices of oppertunities.

Sorry for not posting anymore of this, last week was quite hectic with two writing exams and one oral (history). Now that I finally have time to write about this I have gotten a writers block on how to approach the situation in Sweden and Denmark and therefore would ask if anyone could give me a hand?
If you could, please send me a pm or something of the similarity :)

What is the situation in the colonies and overseas territories?
- Iceland
- Greenland
- Faroes
- Shetland

Also, if avoiding the plague(somewhat) does not come to haunt Norway later and reduce the population, that could lead in two ways.
Either the economy suffers greatly due to less people in Europe needing fish, or the same fish/food gets used to have a population explosion in Norway a lá early Viking age.
The mid 14th century was the little Ice age yes?

This looks quite interesting. :)
Denmark would by 1353 see Valdemar IV end the war of reunification of his country with the Holstein counts. It will only be a few years however before Valdemar will have an uprising on his hands as the ever-rebellious Jutland Nobility dislike the Kings redistibution of annexed lands during the time lands had been pawned to the Holstein counts or during the restoration campaign. War breaks out 1357 and runs on and off till 1362 with Valdemar fighting his nobility, the Holstein counts, Mecklenburg, the Hanse and Sweden.
I am however looking forward to whats happening post 1362 as Valdemar married his second living daughter Margrethe to Haakon of Norway. ;)
If the marriage doesn't take place it may well change Danish history quite some as Norway being the personal fief of the Danish King was what was used to institute succession by birth and so abolish the elective kingdom.