The XK-BAM map series

europe bedrock.png

Europe bedrock coastline (RIP Finland).

Hello folks, this thread has been dying down so I have decided to come back and start making a new XK-BAM or remake an existing one (to clarify, I will only care about natural features for now, but I might later add political stuff to it, though until then, I'll most likely make a placeholder with resized 8K-BAM borders)
One question though - roughly which size would you prefer?

Hello folks, this thread has been dying down so I have decided to come back and start making a new XK-BAM or remake an existing one (to clarify, I will only care about natural features for now, but I might later add political stuff to it, though until then, I'll most likely make a placeholder with resized 8K-BAM borders)
what kind of natural stuff are you thinking of? bc i dont know if there is any need for a higher resolution, ig u can make a 16k-BAM but the most usefull thing would be making the 8k-BAM better like finishing the river map or pre-1900 coastlines

Ah, I see. Though I didn't say I was going to patch the existing maps, as those would be sisyphaean tasks. Instead, I said I was going to remake them. If 8K-BAM is the most popular and most used map here, then I am going to remake it.

does anyone know how to get the exact dimension of the 8k-BAM pixels are? at the equator its ~5km x ~5km but im working on a map of unpopulated areas and siberian pixels are not going to be the same size

Ah, I see. Though I didn't say I was going to patch the existing maps, as those would be sisyphaean tasks. Instead, I said I was going to remake them. If 8K-BAM is the most popular and most used map here, then I am going to remake it.
the 8k-BAM is definitely the most popular, but what do you mean remake? like redo all the coastlines?

the 8k-BAM is definitely the most popular, but what do you mean remake? like redo all the coastlines?
Yes, exactly that. Though since nobody would care if Greenland or Antarctica are correct or not, I am tempted to remake a lesser known XK-BAM or make a new one, as I said before.

does anyone know how to get the exact dimension of the 8k-BAM pixels are? at the equator its ~5km x ~5km but im working on a map of unpopulated areas and siberian pixels are not going to be the same size
Well, if you take the secant of the exact latitude you are working with, then you'll get the value of how scretched a single equatorial pixel would be in your latitude.
For example, at 85 degrees N/S, a single equatorial pixel becomes ~11,5 pixels wide. The height stays the same though, assuming a spherical Earth. Oh also, a single pixel at the equator and the 11,5 pixels at 85 degrees N/S equal the same real world distance in kilometers, just that their widths in the map are different.

Well I have been working on my own custom-made coastlines since 2019, but it is strictly a personal passion/hobby project and I am not sure if I feel comfortable in publicly revealing it for now, I have also made my own custom 2K coastlines, but I consider it finished for all intents and purposes.

A reproyection of the most recent QBAM by @Sharklord1 to 8KBAM standards

PD: Sorry for so many images, I don't know how to upload larger images
PDD: Posted the imgur image as @athgtq16129 said

As you all know, the QBAM does not correspond to the equirectangular projection of 8KBAM so many borders have thickened, others have disappeared, and the borders of the coasts do not match between the two maps, so use it with care. Above all I think it is a useful resource
Hello, the Imgur link is no longer working for me, and I cannot find the map in my folders anymore, could you please re-upload it?, I urgently need it.

Edit: I have found the map in my folder, but I do not know which version of this map it is, for the sake of convenience if anyone needs it, I have reuploaded it on my own Imgur, I have uploaded it but Imgur is not working for me, so it must be either a glitch on their part or due to my browser.

Last edited:
2K-BAM 1884 Part 1: Europe
This one was a bit more difficult than the 1930 map I made in 2022 because I had to make some of the borders myself.
I'm using Q-BAM as a source here.
(ill finish the provinces later, I'm keeping the 1914 german provinces as placeholders so I can change them easier due to similarities)
1714666348834.png