The Worst WWII Alternate History Cliche

Inspired by the worst American Civil War cliche thread, what cliche bother you the most?

For me, one that always got me is the Rommel becomes Fuhrer has always struck me as somewhat unlikely, especially when its used as a crutch to moderate the Nazis

Last edited:
"Notzi's".... you know, 'nicer' Nazis who still think its fine and dandy to conquer everything in sight but for various reasons don't practice mass murder.

Anything related to German victory in North Africa, successful Operation Sea Lion, Japanese victory, etc.

The Japanese government and military will NEVER surrender unless they get nuclear weapons dropped on them. The fact that the Japanese military was super scared by the Soviet conquest of Manchuria and that they were actually willing to surrender (as long as the monarchy wouldn't be removed or punished) because of the threat of Japanese troops landing on Honshu is always conveniently ignored.

The Japanese government and military will NEVER surrender unless they get nuclear weapons dropped on them. The fact that the Japanese military was super scared by the Soviet conquest of Manchuria and that they were actually willing to surrender (as long as the monarchy wouldn't be removed or punished) because of the threat of Japanese troops landing on Honshu is always conveniently ignored.

We know that the Japanese surrendered after 2 nuclear weapons were used. There are theories like yours but they remain only theories because of what happened in OTL.

We know that the Japanese surrendered after 2 nuclear weapons were used. There are theories like yours but they remain only theories because of what happened in OTL.

Also, the Japan was ready to surrender already crowd forget that even after two nukes there was nearly a coup to silence the Emperor and keep on fighting. So even with everything from OTL it was a crapshoot.

The typical "Luft '44" scenarios
People seem to forget that most of those aircraft couldn't even get off the damn ground

I want to do a 1946-48 World War II (either late start or extended war) timeline eventually because I love some of the immediate postwar British and American aircraft. Which could actually get off the ground.

Japhy

Banned
If Poland avoids getting a Stalinist government everything turns up roses.

As mentioned moderate Nazis/Fascists is overdone and ridiculous.

If France holds for any period of time in 1940 all of the problems of the Third Republic and its senior leadership vanish.

And an Ironic one considering it was a reaction to an older Cliche: If Lord Halifax comes to power in 1940 and goes for a Cease-Fire everything goes off fine, Britain rearms without trouble and comes back for a glorious and better than IOTL rematch in 1941, rather than reinvigorating appeasement and causing a major crisis in Britain and with the US.

That the victorious Nazis will pick new ethnic groups to enslave and exterminate randomly as they successfully exterminate their previous picks, sometimes from among their own former allies. Pure Blood for the Blood God.

That the victorious Nazis will pick new ethnic groups to enslave and exterminate randomly as they successfully exterminate their previous picks, sometimes from among their own former allies. Pure Blood for the Blood God.

You can make a case for that pretty easily actually. Just from their own plans

Not really. Their plans, such as they were, were based around creating an economically self sufficient superstate in Europe that could compete with the United States; exterminating the Slavs was a means to an end, not an end in and of itself. Spinning a wheel to see who to Holocaust next, just because they're bored, is lazy writing.