The Worst American Civil War Alternate History Cliche

Glatthaar goes into much greater depth with his analysis of the army in Soldiering in the Army of Northern Virginia, and concludes that the rank and file were disproportionately better off than the general population, especially when you look at family background; it was a common show of patriotism for a well-off man to serve as a ranker, rather than securing a commission for himself. I think he even specifically denounces the myth of the poor man's fight in the book, though it's been a while since I've read it.

haven't found that one yet (budget requires mostly library reading for now, and libraries are small here in rural America) but I will look for it or see if I can get inter library loan

I'm sorry, that is a whitewash. Lee was an infamous slave owner, known even for the times for his cruelty and splitting up slave families.

That's also a gross exaggeration, in the other direction. Lee owned a few slaves he inherited from his mother. He and his brothers sold off most of their mother's slaves and divided the proceeds. Lee kept a few, whom he employed as servants for himself and his wife at various Army posts; he rented them out when stationed in free territory. By 1850 or so, all these slaves had died off, or been emancipated by Lee. (The records are vague.)

Lee's father-in-law, G.W.P. Custis, owned over 100 slaves at his three plantations (Arlington was just the largest). Mrs. Lee was his only child. When he died in 1857, he left the three plantations to Lee's sons, and $10,000 each to Lee's daughters. However, the estate was heavily indebted, as Custis wa a poor manager. His will emancipated his slaves, but with the provision that they could be held for up to five years, to clear the debts of the estate and satisfy the bequests. Lee (much to his annoyance) was made executor, and thus a de facto slaveowner. Custis was a "kindly" slaveowner, who never sold any slaves. So his plantations were overstocked with slaves, who had become accustomed to slacking. Lee made them work harder, and rented out the extras to other plantations. Those who resisted or ran away, claiming immediate freedom under the will, Lee punished, having some flogged.

This was brutal, and more than enough to refute any notion that Lee was anti-slavery. But it doesn't reach the level of "infamous". Lee's harshness was exaggerated by Union propagandists during the war, to discredit Lee.

Jasen777

Donor
This was brutal, and more than enough to refute any notion that Lee was anti-slavery. But it doesn't reach the level of "infamous". Lee's harshness was exaggerated by Union propagandists during the war, to discredit Lee.

He split slave families, which the previous generations of his family had not done, and those slaves he extended where kept until the a state court literally forced him to free them. Saying that's not "infamous" is arguing semantics.

That's also a gross exaggeration, in the other direction. Lee owned a few slaves he inherited from his mother. He and his brothers sold off most of their mother's slaves and divided the proceeds. Lee kept a few, whom he employed as servants for himself and his wife at various Army posts; he rented them out when stationed in free territory. By 1850 or so, all these slaves had died off, or been emancipated by Lee. (The records are vague.)

Lee's father-in-law, G.W.P. Custis, owned over 100 slaves at his three plantations (Arlington was just the largest). Mrs. Lee was his only child. When he died in 1857, he left the three plantations to Lee's sons, and $10,000 each to Lee's daughters. However, the estate was heavily indebted, as Custis wa a poor manager. His will emancipated his slaves, but with the provision that they could be held for up to five years, to clear the debts of the estate and satisfy the bequests. Lee (much to his annoyance) was made executor, and thus a de facto slaveowner. Custis was a "kindly" slaveowner, who never sold any slaves. So his plantations were overstocked with slaves, who had become accustomed to slacking. Lee made them work harder, and rented out the extras to other plantations. Those who resisted or ran away, claiming immediate freedom under the will, Lee punished, having some flogged.

Yeah, sorry, there is no coming back from that, Union "propaganda" be damned.

The French took away the British Empire, or are you assuming the Americans or Germans did?

I was referring to a conflict known as the American War of Independence, in which most of the British Empire revolted with French help. Perhaps you haven't heard of it, though, it's not very well-known any more.

Apparently that was a Confederate War Department order to allow slave catchers to follow along with his army. I don't have a ready source but I do recall reading that. I would be interested in a source if anyone has one.

If you want to be picky, technically that was legal under US law pre war (Fugitive Slave Act) and unless that Act had been repealed (the exact date of which eludes me) it would still be legal. Unpleasant as that is.

It was troops of the Army of Northern Virginia, not slave catchers accompanying them that enslaved free blacks. http://www.post-gazette.com/news/st...orth-a-military-disgrace/stories/201306300221

Actually, the Confederacy was founded on the idea that the North and the South were fundamentally politically different (much like the US was founded on the idea the US and the UK were fundamentally dissimilar as they stood). They also argued that the Constitution made the association of states voluntary - one reason why their own constitution explicitly forbade secession.

If you follow the at-the-time Confederate logic, you get that secession from the US was legal and that secession from the CS would not be.

The Confederate Constitution did not explicitly forbid secession. It did not address secession at all.

Both of these are wrong, and you've been corrected on them. (Racer could hit 9.3 knots, Immortalite took ten days, and the colliers and supply ships are unneeded.)
If you have criticisms for ITWNMUOTOS, please put them in the right thread.

I provided a source that said Racer could hit 6.8 Knots. What is your source that Racer could do 9.3?

You are correct that Immortalite took ten days, but that does not change my point. In actual history, Immortalite, which was rated at 12.3 knots, took 10 days to travel from Bermuda to the Chesapeake. As the captain later reported "Throughout the whole passage I encountered moderate Gales from the N.W. and West, with a high sea; and only succeeded in making Cape Henry on the evening of the 4th instant. At this time I found the Fore Yard sprung and the Ship leaking excessively throughout her Decks, Waterways, Topsides, and Bends." In ITWNMUOTOS, you have a British fleet make the same trip in 4 days with no apparent damage or scattering of the ships in spite of sailing into a heavy gale. It would be possible for them to leave the colliers and supply ships ungaurded, but why would Admiral Milne take the risk?

I've already looked at this one and corrected it, and you continue to cite your talking points uncorrected. For reference, the three day period is the time taken to tender the orders to the shipyards - which would then do the design work themselves. It was not expected to take long, as the planning documents suggest they would be delivered in 90 days.

To the best of my knowledge, the only ironclad designs the British had in January 1862 were the Warrior class (Length 128m, beam 17.8m, draught 8.2m), the Defence class (Length 92m, beam 16.5m, draught 7.9m) and the Hector class (Length 85.4m, beam 17.2m, draught 8m) The Welland Canal had locks that were 45.7 meters long, 8.1 meters wide, and 3.1 meters deep, so none of these ironclad designs could possibly fit through the Welland Canal. Designing and building a new class that could is going to take a lot longer that 90 days.

"They didn't like Lincoln" is misleading, because it makes it sound like them had some sort of personal beef. Actually the reason they didn't like him was because they thought he was a tyrant, trampling their constitutional rights underfoot. "Rebellion against tyrants is OK" doesn't logically entail "You can rebel against non-tyrannical governments"; and of course, the leaders of an independent CSA wouldn't consider their government to be tyrannical.

The Confederacy had already formed a government before Lincoln took the oath of office, so clearly he hadn't done anything tyrannical when they seceded.

Saphroneth

Banned
I provided a source that said Racer could hit 6.8 Knots. What is your source that Racer could do 9.3?
Times of London, 23 July 1858, which gives her speed on her trials as 9.3 knots.

To the best of my knowledge, the only ironclad designs the British had in January 1862 were the Warrior class (Length 128m, beam 17.8m, draught 8.2m), the Defence class (Length 92m, beam 16.5m, draught 7.9m) and the Hector class (Length 85.4m, beam 17.2m, draught 8m)
You are very much mistaken. They also had the Aetna class (three variants, all of them with less than 9 feet draft) and the Thunderbolt class. None of these ships took very long to design or build, especially not with experienced builders.

Please discuss my TL in the TL thread, as I requested and you quoted.

Anyway, my more unfavourite cliche would probably be the idea that if Britain helps the Confederacy gain independence, the rump USA would inevitably pour its resources into a massive re-armament programme and be back for revenge. Whilst there are examples of countries doing this sort of thing, there are also plenty of examples of former enemies burying the hatchet and co-operating with one another if doing so would be mutually advantageous. Whether or not the US after a Trent War-esque scenario would end up hating Britain forevermore depends too much on the subsequent economic and geopolitical system for us to say that they definitely would or wouldn't do something.

If Britain ends up annexing any US territory, I'd expect the US to be just as forgiving as France was after Germany took Alsace and Lorraine.

there are strong economic reasons for Texas, even before oil is discovered, to go its own way economically as its best market (for all that beef cattle) is in the United States, not in Britain or France or even Georgia

Louisiana and Arkansas also have much better economic opportunities with the US then the Confederacy east of the Mississippi. For that matter Tennessee does too.

Plus a lot of people in those states don't much like the aristocrats running the show in Richmond (transfer the typical rhetoric aimed at Washington to Richmond and its easy to imagine)

That's one possible way an independent Confederacy might split, though Texas or all of the TransMississippi breaking with the Confederacy does not gaurantee they would rejoin the Union. The Border States might split at some point as well, though they'd be more likely to rejoin the Union. And South Carolina was run by a reactionary oligrarchy who had property requirements to hold office and almost didn't join the Confederacy because the forbid the international slave trade, though if they seceded they'd probably end up a failed state. More likely than actual secession would be Confederate states threatening secession in an attempt get the central government to do what they wanted.

Why not as forgiving as Austria was after Italy took Veneto?
Because Venice was only very recently added to the Habsburg Empire when it was lost (annexed in 1814, rebelled for over a year in 1848, lost in 1866). The people there did not speak German, did not identify as Austrian (Republic of San Marco tried joining Sardinia Piedmont), and had not long been part of the nation.

Plus, Austria wasn't friendly with Italy afterwards. Italian nationalists were still eyeing Austrian lands and the Austrians were building up forts and strategies against the Italians just in case. If Austria didn't have to worry about Russia, France, Germany, something might've come of it sooner. But yeah, they weren't so much forgiving as just not able to push for it.

Britain taking parts of the US would be more reminiscent of Germany-Alsace Lorraine-France due to the whole thing of Manifest Destiny and Monroe Doctrine. That the US has a duty to expand from sea to shining sea and that Old Worlders ought to stay out of the New World. Jingoists would be in the streets rallying people to reconquest, the public would be inflamed, warhawks would be sweeping the nation. I mean, it doesn't take much of a casus belli for the US to go to war. Look at the War of 1812, where America went to war over impressment of American sailors. Or the Spanish American War, where the US went to war over the Maine, which the Spanish hadn't actually touched but blew up anyways and provided enough nationalistic fervour to make peace impossible.

Now imagine if Britain, the age old 'oppressors' from whom the founding fathers 'liberated' the USA and had been arming the devil-worshiping, 'evil' Natives to kill good Christian Americans, came back to seize 'rightfully' American lands, in defiance of the US's manifest destiny to expand across North America (is likely what would be said to rile up the public). Pretty easy to get the public to push for war, right? It'll be easy to ride that wave into office, hard to resist it once in, and, after all, hadn't the US won every war against Britain up until that point? (Yes, I'm aware that the French more or less won the American Independence War for the Americans, yes, I'm aware that the War of 1812 was a stalemate and relied on Britain being tied up with Napoleon for the USA to even stand a glimmer of a chance. I'm pointing to the propaganda possibilities, as Americans had seen both as effectively American victories. The first for achieving independence, the second for being able to fight off the old enemy once more). Not only that, there's a huge Irish population in the USA and the Irish aren't well known for having much affection for the United Kingdom. (Twisting the lion's tail, as it were). It's worth noting that Ango-American relations weren't great until the 1890s OTL and that's without Britain seizing American lands.

Plus, it usually takes a common threat or enemy for enemies to bury the hatchet. What potential enemies would there be? The French were aligning with the British, the Russians aren't in a position to project into North America (and would have more conflict with the British than the Americans), the Austrians had no interests nor ability to intervene in the New World nor did the Prussians, the Japanese and Chinese are a long way from being able to threaten anyone outside of Asia. On the other hand, British and American interests are liable to conflict and border skirmishes can easily escalate quickly.

In short, Britain taking American land would probably not end peaceably due to a fair number of factors leading up to such a POD and the general state of the world in the 1860s. Now, butterflies can happen but I'd put my money on a vengeful USA.

so fantasies about Trent Wars where the British have no issues with logistics, military friction, and indeed are invincible, and indeed are at a state of readiness that they couldn't match in either 1914 or 1939 are completely rational and logical?

I have read On War, as it happens, and was familiar with the concept of friction before I had read it due to general osmosis.
The interesting point, however, is that you feel driven to bring up a specific timeline on this board, describing it in terms so slanted I wouldn't be able to recognise it if I hadn't read your comments on it. I'm making a point based on a general understanding of history, not on anything that happens in a specific TL on this board - especially one where the author acknowledges that he has learnt a lot about the period while researching for the TL and would now write some events differently.

Saphroneth

Banned
Plus, it usually takes a common threat or enemy for enemies to bury the hatchet. What potential enemies would there be? The French were aligning with the British, the Russians aren't in a position to project into North America (and would have more conflict with the British than the Americans), the Austrians had no interests nor ability to intervene in the New World nor did the Prussians, the Japanese and Chinese are a long way from being able to threaten anyone outside of Asia. On the other hand, British and American interests are liable to conflict and border skirmishes can easily escalate quickly.
Er, the Confederacy, unless I've misunderstood the context. The Confederacy would be a very obvious common enemy with values contra to those of the British.

Because Venice was only very recently added to the Habsburg Empire when it was lost (annexed in 1814, rebelled for over a year in 1848, lost in 1866).
So only taking areas like Minnesota or California, then, places only very recently added to the US, would be acceptable?

The interesting point, however, is that you feel driven to bring up a specific timeline on this board, describing it in terms so slanted I wouldn't be able to recognise it if I hadn't read your comments on it.
It's also an interesting case of a double-standard, given that the person in question has only good words for a TL in which the US flawlessly captures Norfolk Virginia about five months early (aided by such minor conveniences as the Confederacy ahistorically cutting their garrison in the place by 80%, the disappearance of a gun battery on the beach he has the US use, a fortified entrenchment with 30 guns vanishing from the route the Union takes to 'avoid' the fortified positions, and so on - which is worse than any mistakes I made...)

As for friction in ITWNMUOTOS, I'd invite criticism on the TL itself as to places I should be including it. A point worth making on that score, however, is that the timeline I used (while not allowing for specific weather events from OTL) already incorporated plentiful delays of a day here and there over what could be achieved (e.g. Freeport to Norfolk is 3 days at 9.3 knots, I have them take four days to get there and another ten days before action begins) - whereas in the case of reinforcing Canada it was well within the means of the British. The Brits just have a lot more spare capacity and as such do rather better.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the worst civil war cliche is 'the Union fought with one hand behind its back' while also portraying Lincoln as a great leader. If he was a great leader, why did he stop the Union fighting with both hands?