The Whale has Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that the Banana Bomber is the only good thing ever to come out of that company. Their WW2 efforts were horrid.

Not a fan of the Firebrand and Beverley then? The former was not a particularly outstanding design, but it did give the RN a few years good service as a strike fighter. The Beverley was a well regarded RAF transport.

Blackburn's pre-WW2 aircraft were not any worse than their contemporaries and I'd say that the Skua was not a bad design. It had a lot of innovative features, it holds the historical honour of being the first aircraft to sink a major warship and was only really let down by a lack of engine power. If it had a more powerful engine and the FAA had only used it as a dive-bomber I suspect it would have a better reputation today.
I imagine that he crew of the KM Koningsberg wouldn't have been bothered by what the Skua's post-war reputation was. :p

Peter C. Smith has written an excellent book on the Skua, which I would recommend.

Of course the Roc is the only aircraft that can claim the only kill it scored occurred when the aircraft was on the ground. :D

Story updates will be starting again soon, but in the meantime an update on Book2.

Proofing is all done, as are the maps.
The HardCopy formatting is done.
E-copy formatting will be done this week, then its just the two covers and it can get out in the wild!

BTW, if anyone bought the book off Amazon.com and liked it, a good review would be appreciated - better reviews mean better sales, and more cute little Whales roaming about in freedom (of course, you may think this a bad thing!)

Oh, Book 2 will be on both Amazon and Smazhwords, for those who need non-Kindle e-formats.

Finally, I did some editing of Book 1, to remove some of the text and formatting errors. I'm sure it still has some, but there should be less now. I think you can upload a new copy from Amazon or Smashwords if you already bought it. I'm sorry I'm not sure on this, but the author is treated differently on the site, so I cant tell myself.

Story updates will be starting again soon, but in the meantime an update on Book2.

E-copy formatting will be done this week, then its just the two covers and it can get out in the wild!

BTW, if anyone bought the book off Amazon.com and liked it, a good review would be appreciated - better reviews mean better sales, and more cute little Whales roaming about in freedom (of course, you may think this a bad thing!)

Oh, Book 2 will be on both Amazon and Smazhwords, for those who need non-Kindle e-formats.

Finally, I did some editing of Book 1, to remove some of the text and formatting errors. I'm sure it still has some, but there should be less now. I think you can upload a new copy from Amazon or Smashwords if you already bought it. I'm sorry I'm not sure on this, but the author is treated differently on the site, so I cant tell myself.

You may download on smashwords any number of times any of the 4!!!! versions of book 1.(assuming of course you cough up the ridiculous price of $2.99 for it the first time.......I work for myself....undervaluing one's work doesn t sit well with me:rolleyes:...but then I hope you aren t feeding yourself on the proceeds from this.)

Review sent. I sent something I hope you will like. I think its nice.:)

EDIT: ARRGH! I misspelled "done" as "down".:eek::eek::eek: Sorry...
EDIT2: HEY! They let me fix it!

Last edited:
You may download on smashwords any number of times any of the 4!!!! versions of book 1.(assuming of course you cough up the ridiculous price of $2.99 for it the first time.......I work for myself....undervaluing one's work doesn t sit well with me:rolleyes:...but then I hope you aren t feeding yourself on the proceeds from this.)

Yeah, Smashwords seems a bit weird in that it happily lets me upload new versions, but lists all of them! As its quiet easy to do this a lot to correct small errors...
I dont quite understand why they dont just list the latest one.

Well, you can always cough up $9.50 for a trade-paperback sized copy :D

Seriously, I never intended to make a fortune off the books. It just helps to allow a hobby to pay for itself. And hopefully give some people a good read.

Review sent. Zero stars. Two thumbs down. 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. Told of how I wiped my ass with it, then burned it in a public ceremony at Yale University.:eek:

Actually, I sent something I hope you will like. I think its nice.:)

I can just see it on tomorrows news.

Yale Burns Whale.
President blames Islamic Terrorists

:D:D

Great news about 2nd book, does this mean an update will be forth coming?

Yes, once the book is out, I will be taking a break and going back to the timeline.
Book 3 wont be out until probably October-November as I'd like to get the timeline advanced, and I simply dont have the free time to do both.
Its easier to concentrate on one thing at a time.

Yeah, Smashwords seems a bit weird in that it happily lets me upload new versions, but lists all of them! As its quiet easy to do this a lot to correct small errors...
I dont quite understand why they dont just list the latest one.

Well, you can always cough up $9.50 for a trade-paperback sized copy :D

Seriously, I never intended to make a fortune off the books. It just helps to allow a hobby to pay for itself. And hopefully give some people a good read.

and it takes how many years to find it's way 2 me:(......I kinda like the instant download thingy.
Besides my library is kinda big already.

I bought your hardcopy version of Book 1. It was a great read but--speaking as someone with decades of editing experience--I have to say there were an annoying number of typos, spelling and punctuation errors and sentences that needed rewriting to make sense. Also format issues, e.g., the spacing between paragraphs was inconsistent. Finally there were subheads in plain text that needed either italicizing or bolding. If you're paying someone to proofread or copyedit your work they are not doing their job and you should demand your money back.

I bought your hardcopy version of Book 1. It was a great read but--speaking as someone with decades of editing experience--I have to say there were an annoying number of typos, spelling and punctuation errors and sentences that needed rewriting to make sense. Also format issues, e.g., the spacing between paragraphs was inconsistent. Finally there were subheads in plain text that needed either italicizing or bolding. If you're paying someone to proofread or copyedit your work they are not doing their job and you should demand your money back.

I've taken more time over Vol2, so hopefully it wont have as many errors. I also uploaded an amended book, but sadly there is no way to trade in for a new version as the e-people can.

No, I dont pay for proof reading. No way I could afford that.

I actually dithered for ages over making the small subheadings (the dates, normally) in normal or bold font. In the end, I went for normal as bold just didnt work well on the e-book, and since I couldnt decide I kept them the same. The e-book has all sorts of font issues, basically because you dont know what the reader will actually be showing the reader. The reason books are in a tiny handful of fonts is because those are the ones that should work on all readers. Hopefuly. If the moon's in the right phase...

Now we have the power, no update no reviews. Ha ha!!!!! maniacal laugh. Seriously though just finished book 1 and really enjoyed it but I need whales like a dragon needs coffee! Pony up book 2.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.