The Whale Has Wings (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrison

Donor
Just a question, what happened at Midway?

I tried to look through the previous thread but can't seem to find anything relevant... and now found out Bulwark was sunk at the battle.

There were multiple long posts about the battle. ITTL it was an Anglo-US force that intercepted the Japanese. US/UK casualties were higher but they did even more damage to the Japanese than OTL.

As usual in this TL, the REAL weirdness is from OTL... :p:D
I believe it was American volunteers.

Claire Chennault's 14th Air Force?

Okay, working from memory:<snip>
Essex class --- still being built at top priority

The Essex-class really can't be built much faster, since its a new design. Somewhere between March and May of 1943 is where one could expect the USS Essex to arrive in the SW Pacific.

Turkey isn't likely to do anything until the Germans are pushed WELL back in Russia. By which time it probably wont matter very much.

Having been so incredibly burned in WWI, and crushed by the British, Turkey's main concern is staying out of it until the Germans are so far away that they couldn't bomb Istanbul save on a one-way suicide mission:rolleyes: Plus, use of the Dardenelles by wartime powers is NOT something the Turks look kindly to. OTL they didn't DoW Germany until after the surrenders of Bulgaria and Romania. On February 23, 1945.:rolleyes: Charge!:p

They did it (really) just to join the United Nations.

Just a question, what happened at Midway?

I tried to look through the previous thread but can't seem to find anything relevant... and now found out Bulwark was sunk at the battle.

The problem with reading the Battle of Midway is that it is dispersed over long RT periods, making for difficult searches.:( But its worth it. The most exciting part of this novel IMVHO. And a great story of Allied courage and mutual co-operation.:)

There were multiple long posts about the battle. ITTL it was an Anglo-US force (1) that intercepted the Japanese. US/UK casualties (2) were higher but they did even more damage to the Japanese than OTL.

1) REPORTED. For forgetting the (big) Free French Naval contingent at the Battle of Midway.:mad: Vive L'France!:cool:

You [fill-in country of origin here:D] Exceptionalist!:p:rolleyes:

2) Just keeping you honest.:) If other Allied powers can bitch about America not joining in the suffering of war, then...:)

And just like that, it's dead again.:(

You know, you really need to be patient. It takes a long time to research and write the quality of updates that Astrodragon produces. It can take months, indeed a year or more. 3 days without an update does not mean the story is dead

All students of Dragon lore know that their reporoduction cycles are very slow and once laid their eggs can take centuarries to hatch so when dragon watching patience is a virtue;)

Saphroneth

Banned
One thing I wonder is whether the way the war's going will result in - not so much a "meet in Poland" as a "Germany collapses with a lot of terrain between the Red Army and historical Germany" -that is, say, the Red Army has done the OTL 1943 offensives during the time which the Allies are making their landings... and also pushing north out of the side-switched Italy.
The practical upshot of which is that both sides need to advance into something looking increasingly like a vacuum, but the Red Army has a lot more terrain to cover before it reaches Germany...

One thing I wonder is whether the way the war's going will result in - not so much a "meet in Poland" as a "Germany collapses with a lot of terrain between the Red Army and historical Germany" -that is, say, the Red Army has done the OTL 1943 offensives during the time which the Allies are making their landings... and also pushing north out of the side-switched Italy.
The practical upshot of which is that both sides need to advance into something looking increasingly like a vacuum, but the Red Army has a lot more terrain to cover before it reaches Germany...

Maybe, maybe...

On the other hand, no-one expected the Allied landings on the Frisian Islands...:p

All I am going to say is that it will not be the same as OTL.

Artaxerxes

Banned
You know, you really need to be patient. It takes a long time to research and write the quality of updates that Astrodragon produces. It can take months, indeed a year or more. 3 days without an update does not mean the story is dead

Honestly Astros thread attracts replies like crap attracts flies, I cannot tell if its dead or not as it gets so many superfluous replies.

(pointless replies +1)

Maybe, maybe...

On the other hand, no-one expected the Allied landings on the Frisian Islands...:p
No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition either, but it doesn't mean they were a nice bunch. Some ideas just don't work.

Honestly Astros thread attracts replies like crap attracts flies...
Nah, more like surströmming attracts swedes. Oh the glory days of TWHW, when even when updates came no more than a week apart you'd get half a page of useful replied and three or more pages of food-related discussions between each post.

Axis CVs

Now let's start working on Axis CVs:

Germany:
Graf Spee --- sunk in the Denmark Straits

Italy:
Not applicable

Japan:
Large Carriers
Shokaku --- body and fender shop after Midway
Zuikahu -- sunk Miday 6/42
Akagi -- sunk Midway 6/42
Soryu -- Sunk Midway 6/42
Kaga --- Sunk Midway 6/42
Hiryu --- sunk Wake Island 12/41

Light Carriers (Most sunk in either Malay Barrier ops or midway, don't have time to account for all of it yet... must reread (damn :))
Tajasaki
Tsurigisaki
Ryujo
Hosho
Shoho
Taiyo
Chitose
Chiyoda
Chitose?

Here are the carriers of the Royal Navy that have been built so far in The Whale Has Wings

Courageous-class Aircraft Carrier (3) - 192
*HMS Courageous - sunk on October 23rd during the Attack on Taranto
*HMS Glorious - used as a training ship starting on June 2nd, 1941
*HMS Furious - used as a training ship/aircraft transport

Ark Royal-class Aircraft Carrier (2) - 1937
*HMS Ark Royal
*HMS Illustrious

Colossus-class Light Carrier (8) - 1937
*HMS Colossus - sunk March 24th, 1942 at the Battle of the Java Sea
*HMS Vengeance
*HMS Venerable - sunk May 5th, 1940 off the coast of Norway
*HMS Mars
*HMS Glory
*HMS Ocean
*HMS Edgar
*HMS Theseus

Formidable-class Aircraft Carrier (5) - 1939
*HMS Formidable
*HMS Victorious
*HMS Implacable
*HMS Indefatigable
*HMS Bulwark - sunk at the Battle of Midway

Audacious-class (2) - 1942
*HMS Audacious
*HMS Irresistible - renamed HMS Courageous

Majestic-class Light Carrier (3) - 1942
*HMS Majestic
*HMS Terrible
*HMS Magnificent

Saphroneth

Banned
I can remember that the USN built Ticonderoga (a Yorkie) in addition to their OTL ones, if that helps, though I'm not sure if they built any CVLs.

I can remember that the USN built Ticonderoga (a Yorkie) in addition to their OTL ones, if that helps, though I'm not sure if they built any CVLs.

The CVL schedule is basically as OTL, they didn't see a need as they needed large fleet carriers in the Pacific. True, the RN ones have proved useful, but they weren't invented in America...

Saphroneth

Banned
The CVL schedule is basically as OTL, they didn't see a need as they needed large fleet carriers in the Pacific. True, the RN ones have proved useful, but they weren't invented in America...

And, being fair, if the US did go all-in on CVs from 1933 onwards they could have built a pontoon bridge across the Aleutians on flight decks alone ;)

Nah, more like surströmming attracts swedes.
What, not nearly as effectively as some people think it does? :p

I'm rereading the story from the beginning. Not only is it great, but reading it the first time round made me realize just how much of a Britscrew OTL was.

Status
Not open for further replies.