"The Roman Empire. We take it for granted. It's simply a part of our everyday lives. Not many people question it. However, when one stops to think about it, it's quite astounding that the Empire has lasted to the present, and in such good condition too. Despite all the tribulations it has gone through over the centuries, the Empire stands strong. East and West are at peace and bound closer together than ever before, and the Empire is one of the superpowers of the world. But how did it get here? How did the state manage to endure from its founding in 753 BCE, 2,776 years ago, to today? This is the story of the world's longest lasting state." - An excerpt from Anthony Kaldellis's The Old Roman Empire, a history of Romania from Majorian to the present.
Hello there. I've been fascinated by the Roman Empire since I read Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus series in middle school. My interest was reinvigorated by Oversimplified's First Punic War videos. And while most people imagine a surviving Roman Empire to be polytheistic and filled with columned temples and such, I'd like to imagine a very different Rome.

In 458 AD, the Western Roman Empire was in dire straits. In 376, the Goths asked the Eastern Roman Empire for assylum from the Huns. The Eastern Romans agreed, but treated the Goths horribly. Understandably, the Goths revolted in 378, and defeated Valens at the battle of Adrianople. Following this, they would eventually travel to the Western Roman Empire. On top of this, whenever the Western Romans tried to choose a new emperor, the Eastern Romans intervened, starting civil wars that killed all of the West's legions, and put their own guy on the throne. This happened twice in six years, and the second one led to Honorius. The Western Empire would fight a bunch of civil wars, but their legions had been drained by the Eastern Empire's interventions. On top of this, in 406 the Rhine froze over, and large amounts of Germanic tribes crossed the frozen river. At first the Franks, Roman allies, would hold them back, but they eventually could not. Rome simply didn't have the manpower to fight the Germanen and put down the revolts. It also didn't help that Honorius was totally and utterly incompetent. Fast forward a few decades. The Germanen had carved out their own kingdoms from Roman land. The Huns had raided Rome. Slaves and gladiators are in revolt. The army is even more drained and almost completely Germanized. North Africa, which had hard-carried the Western Empire, had been lost to the Vandals.
One man would rise to this challenge. One man would give his all to fix the Western Empire. That man was Flavius Iulius Maiorianus. Through a series of badly needed reforms and spectacular reconquests, he would seek to rebuild Western Roman power. However, his fleet that he built to reconquer North Africa was burned by traitors paid off by the Vandals, and Majorian himself was killed by Richimer, bitter enemy of Romaboos everywhere. But what if that changed? What if the traitors were caught, and Majorian put Western Rome on the path to recovery?
A couple of notes:
  1. I still fully plan to do a Salians timeline about Henry V of the HRE. However, I need to do more research on that period and the figures from it, and I figured I should try to figure out timeline writing in the meantime.
  2. I will try to avoid "Great Man" theory here, while still giving individuals due acknowledgement. Majorian won't restore the Empire to Pax Romana levels of power, nor will it be fully recovered by the end of his reign. However, he will start Rome down a path to recovery.
  3. Any suggestions, sources, corrections, and constructive criticisms are more than welcome.
  4. I will be keeping the Eastern Empire the same until the mid 500s, so don't come at me with butterflies and stuff.
  5. I will try to post weekly updates, and I'll let everyone know when they will be delayed.
With that out of the way, enjoy!
sddefault.jpg

Credit to this YouTuber for the artwork, I hope he's okay with me using it. He was a huge inspiration for this TL.

Hello there. I've been fascinated by the Roman Empire since I read Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus series in middle school. My interest was reinvigorated by Oversimplified's First Punic War videos. And while most people imagine a surviving Roman Empire to be polytheistic and filled with columned temples and such, I'd like to imagine a very different Rome.

In 458 AD, the Western Roman Empire was in dire straits. In 376, the Goths asked the Eastern Roman Empire for assylum from the Huns. The Eastern Romans agreed, but treated the Goths horribly. Understandably, the Goths revolted in 378, and defeated Valens at the battle of Adrianople. Following this, they would eventually travel to the Western Roman Empire. On top of this, whenever the Western Romans tried to choose a new emperor, the Eastern Romans intervened, starting civil wars that killed all of the West's legions, and put their own guy on the throne. This happened twice in six years, and the second one led to Honorius. The Western Empire would fight a bunch of civil wars, but their legions had been drained by the Eastern Empire's interventions. On top of this, in 406 the Rhine froze over, and large amounts of Germanic tribes crossed the frozen river. At first the Franks, Roman allies, would hold them back, but they eventually could not. Rome simply didn't have the manpower to fight the Germanen and put down the revolts. It also didn't help that Honorius was totally and utterly incompetent. Fast forward a few decades. The Germanen had carved out their own kingdoms from Roman land. The Huns had raided Rome. Slaves and gladiators are in revolt. The army is even more drained and almost completely Germanized. North Africa, which had hard-carried the Western Empire, had been lost to the Vandals.
One man would rise to this challenge. One man would give his all to fix the Western Empire. That man was Flavius Iulius Maiorianus. Through a series of badly needed reforms and spectacular reconquests, he would seek to rebuild Western Roman power. However, his fleet that he built to reconquer North Africa was burned by traitors paid off by the Vandals, and Majorian himself was killed by Richimer, bitter enemy of Romaboos everywhere. But what if that changed? What if the traitors were caught, and Majorian put Western Rome on the path to recovery?
A couple of notes:
  1. I still fully plan to do a Salians timeline about Henry V of the HRE. However, I need to do more research on that period and the figures from it, and I figured I should try to figure out timeline writing in the meantime.
  2. I will try to avoid "Great Man" theory here, while still giving individuals due acknowledgement. Majorian won't restore the Empire to Pax Romana levels of power, nor will it be fully recovered by the end of his reign. However, he will start Rome down a path to recovery.
  3. Any suggestions, sources, corrections, and constructive criticisms are more than welcome.
  4. I will be keeping the Eastern Empire the same until the mid 500s, so don't come at me with butterflies and stuff.
  5. I will try to post weekly updates, and I'll let everyone know when they will be delayed.
With that out of the way, enjoy!
sddefault.jpg

Credit to this YouTuber for the artwork, I hope he's okay with me using it. He was a huge inspiration for this TL.

you caught my attention, I consider this period of the empire very interesting, because it lays the foundations for the future development of some ideas that we associate exclusively as born in the Middle Ages (see the papacy or the concept of "feudalism" for example) also Majorian is one of my favorite emperors of this period, so I have another reason to follow your work, it will be very interesting how you deal with the situation of the Germanic populations in the empire ( particularly in Gaul, Iberia and North Africa with the Vandals, there is Genseric's sack of Rome to avenge ) I think that the empire will manage to remain in southern Gaul ( useful for controlling trade in the Mediterranean and as a land connection with Iberia ) while I see Majorian favoring the Franks over the other Germanic populations ( both because they are quite loyal to Rome, and above all they are less numerous than the others, in particular the Goths )

PS

I also have my pious hope that I would really like to see, namely the possibility of a half-Roman ( an example of this would be Stilicho who was a half Vandal, and whose son was a candidate to succeed Honorius ) or a Roman born in one of the two Rhenish provinces to ascend to the imperial purple in the future, so as to dispel the myth that a ""German"" cannot to be a Roman emperor

you caught my attention, I consider this period of the empire very interesting, because it lays the foundations for the future development of some ideas that we associate exclusively as born in the Middle Ages (see the papacy or the concept of "feudalism" for example) also Majorian is one of my favorite emperors of this period, so I have another reason to follow your work,
Thank you, I hope I do it justice!
it will be very interesting how you deal with the situation of the Germanic populations in the empire ( particularly in Gaul, Iberia and North Africa with the Vandals, there is Genseric's sack of Rome to avenge ) I think that the empire will manage to remain in southern Gaul ( useful for controlling trade in the Mediterranean and as a land connection with Iberia ) while I see Majorian favoring the Franks over the other Germanic populations ( both because they are quite loyal to Rome, and above all they are less numerous than the others, in particular the Goths )
Nothing is settled yet, but I do have some plans for the Germanic tribes on Roman land. And yes, the Franks will be Roman allies, at least for the initial decades after the PoD.
I also have my pious hope that I would really like to see, namely the possibility of a half-Roman ( an example of this would be Stilicho who was a half Vandal, and whose son was a candidate to succeed Honorius ) or a Roman born in one of the two Rhenish provinces to ascend to the imperial purple in the future, so as to dispel the myth that a ""German"" cannot to be a Roman emperor
I fully plan to do this, don't worry.

A genuine question I love to ponder is how fragile majorians reign would be, I feel like it relies on so many things going just right for him.
Like for example Belisarius almost failed in his campaign and he (to me at least) is a far better general.
What will Majorian do so his enemies don't bribe some traitors to sabotage some other campaign or battle?
If you want a half German as emperor, maybe a good start is having Ricimer marry into the imperial family?

Last edited:
I always thought that Majorian had such promise to be someone like Leo I, i.e. someone who was able to remove Germanic dominance over the Imperial Government had he not been killed by Ricimer. His loss was a true tragedy.

Majorian won't restore the Empire to Pax Romana levels of power,

I mean, not even Diocletian was able to do that.

If we're talking about a 2nd Pax Romana, the West probably won't start to properly recover until the 8th century. Why? Because of the ALT Justinian's Plague of course! And there would be outbreaks of plague well into the 8th century. Sure the West would be less effected compared to the East due to being less urbanized, but they would still be effected by it. I could see a 2nd Pax Romana some time in the 9th-11th centuries.

nor will it be fully recovered by the end of his reign.
I mean, Majorian was pretty damn close to pulling it off. He'd already tentatively secured Gaul and Hispania (they were lost again after his death) and was preparing to secure Africa from the Vandals and, if his fleet hadn't been sabotaged, he probably would've succeeded. The only province I could see him writing off would be Britannia. Britannia didn't really have much to offer beyond just more land he'd need to station troops on that he couldn't exactly afford to do. He would continue to focus on bringing the barbarian tribes in Gaul and Hispania to heel rather than wasting resources in far off Britain. So unless you count Britannia as "fully recovered", which I personally wouldn't, Majorian likely would've

On another note, for what happens after the 550s... I think it's fairly reasonable for Islam to be butterflied away, but that doesn't mean we can't have the Eastern Provinces (possibly even Anatolia) be lost during the 7-8th centuries. There's a theory that the Islamic Invasions took place due to an Arabic demographic explosion. If that demographic migration still takes place, you could still have an Arab Migration that would look much more like the Germanic Migrations during the 4-5th centuries.

That could certainly make things interesting in the East... Of course, these migrations would also effect the Persians...

If we're talking about a 2nd Pax Romana, the West probably won't start to properly recover until the 8th century. Why? Because of the ALT Justinian's Plague of course! And there would be outbreaks of plague well into the 8th century. Sure the West would be less effected compared to the East due to being less urbanized, but they would still be effected by it. I could see a 2nd Pax Romana some time in the 9th-11th centuries.
The 10th and 11th century has for the east the worst climate change for Egypt , and north Africa desertification was getting worse that created crisis for the fatimids while it would not hit Syria as badly I don't think there would be a pax Romana were you can't avoid these climatic changes that damage the breadbasket of the empire

The 10th and 11th century has for the east the worst climate change for Egypt , and north Africa desertification was getting worse that created crisis for the fatimids while it would not hit Syria as badly I don't think there would be a pax Romana were you can't avoid these climatic changes that damage the breadbasket of the empire
You're assuming the Empire has Egypt and the other Eastern Provinces.:)

I would point out that Honorius cannot have been completely incompetent, seeing as he never lost the throne and remained in power till his natural death, and he was the last western emperor to do so

I would point out that Honorius cannot have been completely incompetent, seeing as he never lost the throne and remained in power till his natural death, and he was the last western emperor to do so

well he ( Honorius ) didn't lose the throne because he had Stilicho to protect him first, and then Constantine III ( he kept his place more thanks to their useful ability to improvise and get by with little means than on his own merits )

Now in this I have great interest, especially if you could also keep the Sassanid Empire a going concern alongside Rome

Additionally if Britannia would be reabsorbed into Rome, stay Briton, or we still get Anglo-Saxon England

Thank you, I hope I do it justice!

Nothing is settled yet, but I do have some plans for the Germanic tribes on Roman land. And yes, the Franks will be Roman allies, at least for the initial decades after the PoD.

I fully plan to do this, don't worry.

I just forgot to say one thing, namely that in addition to Ricimer ( certainly not a small problem ) , Majorian will also have to deal with the opposing policies among the senatorial aristocracy ( mainly Italian, and enormously rich, just think that the ransom asked by Alaric to avoid besieging Rome in 408 40 tons of silver could be paid individually and with extreme ease by just one of these families ) and the provincial one, who were among the major players in the fall of an emperor in this period ( especially because the former favored a greater defense of the 'Italy, while the latter were of the idea that if one wanted to save the empire it was necessary to defend the borders, therefore to implement an active policy rather than a passive and merely defensive one as instead happens ( Otl ) furthermore it is necessary to also consider how the imperial court will react to east ( also famous for intriguing in WRE politics or in diverting barbarian populations towards the West, e.g. Attila and his Huns )

finally we have the problem of the few soldiers purely loyal to the Roman state/emperor, because it is in this period that we witness the birth of the concept of multi-layer loyalty ( very common in the Middle Ages and early modern age ) that is, the devolution of loyalty on a practical level to the empire all to move towards a more regional one ( also due to the numerous crises not promptly addressed by the central government which alienated the elite citizens, pushing the former towards more effective and closer protectors, e.g. the Germanic kings or local warlords of Roman origin )

Last edited:
Prologue
Prologue: Restitutor Orbis II
The Western Roman Empire in 457 was in dire straits. Germanic tribes ran rampant all over the empire, carving out their own de facto independent kingdoms from Western Roman territory, reducing the available manpower and tax revenue for the empire. North Africa had been conquered by the Vandals, which essentially ruined the Western Roman economy. Constant civil wars, usurpations, rebellions, and wars with the barbarians had weakened Rome. Not since the dark days of the mid third century had things been this bad. A series of ineffective leaders had not helped, and the Roman people themselves were demoralized. People were not as motivated to join the army anymore, leading to the Romans relying on Germanic peoples. Contrary to popular belief, these troops were not actually ineffective or disloyal per se. In fact, some of the greatest Western Roman victories would be won with these foederati, as we will soon see. The Western Roman army could still kick some serious ass. However, the lack of native Romans in the army was a serious problem. All in all, it didn’t look like the Western Roman Empire as a political entity would survive much longer. All of that changed in 457.
Okay, not all of it changed. In fact the only thing that really did change was the ineffective leadership. In 457, after a series of military successes, the general Majorian was proclaimed emperor by his troops after Valentinian III died. The barbarian Magister Militum Ricimer supported this; Ricimer thought that Majorian could be made a puppet emperor, which many emperors at this time had been.
Upon taking charge, Majorian set about getting things together. He launched a series of spectacular military campaigns to reconquer lost territory from the Germanic tribes. He defeated a Vandal attack on Italy in 457, and then defeated the Visigoths at the Battle of Arelate, and then secured Septimania and reduced the goths to foederati status once more, bringing Hispania back into the empire. He then attacked the Burgundians, moving his army across the Alps. He expelled them from the Rhone valley and reintegrated Gaul into the empire as well. At the same time, Nepotianus attacked the Suebi, reducing them as well.
These reconquests were spectacular, but the real prize lay ahead: Africa. In the third century, North Africa underwent a massive economic expansion, which only continued during the late antique period. Securing it would be vital, as it provided the city of Rome with grain imports, provided tax revenue, was a key trade hub in the Mediterranean, and was the largest producer of pottery in the Western Empire at the time. Securing it would be vital for the economy and survival of the state. Accordingly, Majorian prepared a fleet of 300 ships, docked on the Spanish coast.
The exact details of that night in 461 AD are a mystery. We do not know exactly what happened. Historians are only able to reliably put together a general picture of the events surrounding Majorian’s fleet. This may surprise modern readers, given the abundance of accounts in the past, but recent scholarship has revealed that these are mostly embellishments not based on any hard evidence. What scholars do generally agree on is that in 460 or 461, the Vandal king Geiseric attempted to sneak-attack Majorian’s fleet on the Spanish coast before Majorian became unbeatable. To this end, he attempted to bribe several of Majorian’s captains to switch sides. This attempt failed; Historians agree that Majorian’s soldiers must’ve caught Geiseric’s agents in the act. The corrupt captains and Vandal agents were arrested and executed for treason. Majorian’s fleet defeated Geiseric’s, and the invasion proceeded.
In late September 461, Majorian launched his attack on the Vandal kingdom. His fleet did battle with a Vandal armada at Cape Bon, where the Vandals were decisively crushed. His troops landed and he marched on Carthage. Meanwhile, Marcellinus, a Roman general who ruled in Illyricum, sailed and attacked Sardinia, conquering it from the Vandals by October 461.
Geiseric knew Majorian’s forces were stronger than his own, and further knew that the general population would support Majorian over him. Therefore, he elected to avoid directly engaging with Majorian. However, his situation was dire. If he stayed in Carthage, Majorian would siege him, and it was likely that the populace of the city would turn on him. However, he didn’t really have anywhere else to go, and so reluctantly elected to remain in Carthage, hoping to wear Majorian down.
Sure enough, in late October 461 Majorian’s force arrived outside of Carthage and began preparations for a siege. Majorian had taken great care to treat the Roman populace well, seeming like a liberator rather than a conqueror. He was cheered as a hero as he walked through recently liberated towns, most of which gave up without a fight. His forces fought a few skirmishes with the Vandals, which the Romans won.
As Majorian began to siege down Carthage, he was extra on-guard for potential subterfuge from Geiseric. Sure enough, he attempted to bribe several of Majorian’s foederati to desert him, but seeing what had happened to those who took bribes and not wanting to risk their pay and potential loot, they instead reported this to Majorian, who rewarded their loyalty. After two weeks of siege, the Romans in Carthage tried to open the gates to Majorian, but Geiseric’s guards stopped them. Majorian then sent spies to spread discontent among the populace of the city, and Geiseric was forced to spread his troops thinner and thinner to restore order. Finally, after another week of siege, the Romans rose up at night to open the gates. This time, they overwhelmed the guards, who were stretched too thinly.
Majorian’s spies had alerted him to this plan, and his troops were ready. They stormed the city, killing and capturing the Vandal garrison. Geiseric managed to flee, along with many other Vandal leaders, but on November 21st, 461, Carthage was liberated. The next day Majorian paraded his troops down the streets of the city, surrounded by throngs of cheering people. The Vandal leaders who were captured were executed. Majorian took a few weeks to consolidate his position and reintegrate Africa into the empire. Grain shipments to Rome resumed, as did tax payments, although missed taxes from the time under Vandal rule would not have to be made up. New Roman administrators were brought in or promoted, and new garrisons installed.
However, Geiseric was still out there with a force of Vandals a few thousand strong. Majorian gathered his troops to confront Geiseric, who saw the writing on the wall and surrendered. Majorian sentenced him to house arrest in an estate.
Majorian had just won a major victory, and the future of the Western Roman Empire looked bright for the first time in decades. However, they were not out of the woods yet; The survival of the empire would be a hard fought battle. The persistence of the Roman state was never guaranteed. They had to work for it, fight for it, and die for it. It was hard earned. However, Majorian’s victory reinvigorated the Roman state, and without him, it’s likely the western half of the empire would have fallen in the fifth century, leaving the fate of the east unknown.

NOTE: Anything here is subject to future retcons pending viewer comments and corrections, as well as any of my own thoughts. Also, this is my first ever timeline entry. Any constructive criticism is welcome. It will be a while before I hit my stride. I hope to go much more into depth in the future and flesh out the scenario and the world I plan to build. Any comments on formatting and style would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.