The West Wing: 2010 & Beyond

I'm posting this here because I see there's already a WW thread and I'm guessing that means this is the correct forum. If it's not, please feel free to move this elsewhere.

Basically, I'm going to do what I did with my Decision: America timeline and follow the 2010 election as President Santos seeks re-election. I may then continue even farther; I haven't decided just yet.

-------------------------------

SEPTEMBER 5th, 2009: PENNSYLVANIA SENATOR RIKE ENTERS GOP FIELD
In a stunning and completely unexpected turn of events, Pennsylvania Senator Richard Rike announced today that he would seek the GOP Presidential nomination in 2010. The move has to come as an unwelcome surprise for current frontrunner Governor Ray Sullivan of West Virginia. Rike has solid conservative credentials yet also appeals to independents, as his 21 point win two years ago over democratic challenger Sarah Hunnings indicated. In that race, Rike received 62% of the independent vote. "Why am I running? Frankly, I feel the country needs me at this crucial moment in its history." Rike said after his announcement when asked by reporters. "Our nation is more divided than ever, a fact which continues to be exploited by the current administration. It's nothing against Governor Sullivan, but I feel the time is right to put my vision for America forward and let the voters be the judge." It's too early to tell if the Senator will seriously challenge Sullivan for the nomination, but he's by far the strongest opposition to Sullivan to enter the race thus far.

SEPTEMBER 8th, 2009: NEW POLL SHOWS GOP DIVIDED OVER RIKE, SULLIVAN
The latest round of polling among registered republicans both nationally and in Iowa have Governor Ray Sullivan just 2 points ahead of new challenger Senator Richard Rike of Pennsylvania nationally and just 1 point ahead in Iowa. The new poll indicates Rike has leapfrogged the other 6 candidates to take a solid 2nd place spot in both polls:

National GOP Tracking Poll:
Sullivan: 30%
Rike: 28%
Brady: 11%
Mitchell: 7%
Bradley: 5%
Mills: 4%
Brazelton: 3%
Wirf: 2%
Other: 1%
Undecided: 9%

Iowa GOP Tracking Poll:
Sullivan: 29%
Rike: 28%
Brady: 10%
Mitchell: 7%
Bradley: 5%
Mills: 3%
Brazelton: 3%
Wirf: 2%
Other: 1%
Undecided: 12%

OCTOBER 3rd, 2009: VINICK ENDORSES SULLIVAN
Secretary of State and former GOP Presidential nominee Arnold Vinick has endorsed Governor Ray Sullivan for President. In a not entirely unexpected move, Vinick has endorsed his former running mate for the republican nomination. The move was long expected, but some felt the unexpected entrance of Senator Richard Rike into the fray might put Vinick's endorsement in doubt. "Ray Sullivan is a good man, a good friend, an outstanding Governor, and will be an even better President!" Vinick said at a Sullivan campaign event in De Moines, Iowa today. Many felt Vinick might opt to run again himself, but he announced early this year that he would not seek the republican nomination for a second time, instead focusing on his position as Secretary of State.

OCTOBER 29th, 2009: NATIONAL POLLS SHOW RIKE STRONGER AGAINST SANTOS THAN SULLIVAN
New national polling shows Senator Richard Rike is currently polling better than Governor Ray Sullivan in hypothetical matchups with President Matt Santos. In a nationwide poll of likely voters conducted last week, Rike current is tied with Santos at 44% while Sullivan trails the President by 2%. Statewide polls show Rike performs much stronger in his home state of Pennsylvania, which will be crucial to Santos' re-election. He currently has a 6-point lead over Santos and is also leading in swing states Georgia, North Carolina, Wisconsin, & Arizona. Santos currently leads in Oregon, Colorado, Florida, Virginia, and South Carolina. The two are tied in Ohio. Sullivan leads Santos in Virginia, South Carolina, and Georgia, but trails in Michigan, Wisconsin, and North Carolina. Santos currently has an approval rating of 51%.

Last edited:
NOVEMBER 11th, 2009: SULLIVAN, RIKE SPAR IN GOP DEBATES
The first republican Presidential debate was held last night on the campus of the University of Iowa and the focus, as expected, was on Governor Ray Sullivan and Senator Richard Rike. The two frontrunners dueled throughout the night, with Rike at one point questioning Sullivan's conservative credentials as a so-called 'Vinick republican' and Sullivan noting Rike's vote in favor of President Santos' education bill, which Rike defended. Polls continue to show the two locked in a statistical tie for 1st place both nationally and in Iowa, where the first caucus will be held in just over two months.

NOVEMBER 30th, 2009: SANTOS CALLS ON SENATE TO SUPPORT LOBBYING REFORM
President Matthew Santos renewed his call to both Congressional democrats and republicans to support his effort to reduce the influence of special interests in Washington. "This is one of the most important issues facing our country right now." Santos said at during a White House press conference. "Special interests not only lead to rampant corruption in government, but also drain precious resources from other, more important problems in favor of provisions that favor the few at the expense of the many." While he only mentioned Senate republicans, the administration has also had a longstanding disagreement on this issue with many House democrats, most notably House Speaker Mark Sellner, who sources say derailed an early attempt at lobbying reform during Santos' first days in office.