The Wars of the Roses

Well, I've always been intersted in this period of time, and earlier on today, I decided to start a small timeline starting @ the Battle of Bosworth Field. Tell me what you think...

1485- After 30 years of intermittent civil war between the two houses of York and Lancaster, a final claimant rose to the challenge of King Richard III's control over the English throne. Henry Tudor, the son of Margaret Beaufort and Edmund Tudor, raised in Brittany after Edward IV rose to the throne of England, and the most threattening claimant for the Lancastrian house, had collected an army of French mercenaries, and landed on the Welsh coast on August 7.

King Richard, growing paranoid after Henry's landing in Wales, used his royal powers and relieved Lord Thomas Stanley and his brother, Sir William Stanley of their control over their feudal armies. However, under the Magna Carta, he was trampling on the rights of the feudal lords, but with the two armies of the Stanley brothers under his control on top of his 6,000 man royal army, the lords did not wish to anger Richard any more than he already was. With the loss of their armies, the Stanley brothers could do little to intervene in the most important battle of the Wars of the Roses, the Battle of Bosworth Field.

August 22, 1485- With 15,000 men on his side against Henry's 6,000, King Richard believed that he was assured victory. However, the Earl of Northumberland, Henry Percy, decided not to answer the king's call to join the battle, and kept his 3,000 men out of the fight, leaving King Richard with 12,000 men to Henry's 6,000.

After five hours of vicious fighting, Richard decimated Henry's army of 6,000, and by the end of the day, had the head of Henry Tudor collected and placed on a pike outside of his tent.

With the Yorkist victory at the Battle of Bosworth Field, the Lancastrian claim to the throne was decimated. Henry Tudor, the last hope of the Lancastrians in their claim to the throne of England, lay dead at Bosworth, along with nearly 5,000 men who came with him to Bosworth Field.

1486- One year after the disasterous battle of Bosworth Field, the last Lancastrian heirs and supporters had fled England for asylum in France, Scotland, and the German states. With this, Richard III now had total dominion over all English lands, and intended to keep it this way for the time being. However, he was still without a wife whom he could produce a male heir to the Yorkist House. Although upon his wife's death, he had named her nephew, the Earl of Lincoln, as the next King of England, he still wished to produce a male heir of his own to replace his dead son. However, it was not to be.

1487-1494- Over the next six years, King Richard continued to rebuild the nation after years of civil war, and continued to hunt down additional heirs to the Lancastrian claim to the throne of England. But thanks to the years of Civil War and the stress of reigning alone, Richard died in February, 1495, leaving his nephew, John de la Pole, the First Earl of Lincoln, to inherit the throne of England.

1495- John de la Pole, the First Earl of Lincoln, is crowned King John II of England. Immediatly, as King John began planning out his next strike into Scotland, he petitioned Pope Alexander VI to redraw the Line of Demarcation to include England in the division of the world. After months of consideration, and extensive talks with the Kings of Portugal and Spain, the pope accepted John's petition to redraw the line of demarcation.

In the end, England was given domain over the northern areas of the Americas, splitting Spain's claim on the new world in half, but at the same time, denying Portugal's claim to Brazil. However, upon hearing this, the King of France was infuriated with the Pope's decision to allow England a place in the new world, while France was not allowed any claims in the west. This issue would come to haunt the papacy in years to come.

Last edited:
Wars of the Roses is one of my favourites, keep this up if you can really good so far, the Earl of Lincon was quite a good military leader wasn't he? It also says on widkipedia that he was impatiant for power (hence supporting lambert simmel) if he was king would this impatience transfer to other aspects of his rule?

Wars of the Roses- Continued, or as it is to be called, "The War for the Throne"

1496- With King John's admittance into the Line of Demarcation by Pope Alexander VI, England immediatly dispatched John Cabot with a royal charter to explore the new world, and scout for possible areas to settle. As Cabot explored up and down the Newfoundland coast, he came into contact with the Beothuk Native American tribes. These were the same tribes encountered by Viking explorers, and the same tribes fought against by Vikings in 1006.

By the end of his expedition, Cabot left 50 sailors at the settlement of Saint John's on the eastern most point of Newfoundland. These 50 sailors would survive in the harsh Newfoundland environment for 10 months until Cabot would bring a group of 100 settlers to found the first English colony in the new world of Saint John's.

1497-1500- As England prepared to expand her colonies in the new world down towards the Caribbean coast, King John prepared for the long awaited war between England and Scotland. The Scottish King, King James IV, had insulted King John on numerous occasions over the preceeding five years, and in 1500, finally had enough.

On January 1, 1500, in the middle of a Scottish rain storm, King John II lead the English army over the Scottish border and prepared for the fight of his life.

1500-1502- For two years, King John II, and King James IV sent armies out against each other, with no real major battle occuring until mid-July, 1502 at the Battle of Flodden Field. After two years of stalemate, the major armies of England and Scotland met at Flodden Field, just inside the English border. For ten hours, the combined armies of England and Scotland met in open battle, and for ten hours, the bloody slaughter continued, until at half past six in the evening, King James IV of Scotland was cut down by Welsh Longbowman, recently re-integrated into the English Army after their brief rebellion during the Wars of the Roses.

With the death of King James, the Scottish Army was thrown into an unorganized run for the safety of the Scottish border. After James fell at Flodden Field, there was no real, legitimate claim to the throne of Scotland, (Since the battle occured 11 years before the birth of James V, he has no son to claim the throne) and thus put the Kingdom of Scotland into almost complete anarchy.

As John marched over the Scottish border and drew closer to Edinburgh, many nobles began to pack their bags and flee to the safety of France, or the Germanic states like their predacessors in the House of Lancaster had nearly two decades before.

On September 3, 1502, two months after James fell at Flodden Field, the English Army with King John II at the head entered Edinburgh. Immediatly, John called for the Scottish crown and a priest. In a brief coronation ceremony, John had himself crowned the King of Scotland. Although, technically, the Scottish lords would have to elect him the King, John didn't bother to ask.

With John crowning himself King of Scotland, most Scottish lords who had yet to flee, left Scotland for mainland Europe. Those left in Scotland immediatly pledged fealty to King John II rather than risk loosing their heads. With these oaths of fealty, John went to the English Parliament in London, and ordered the lords to put together an act unifying all of Scotland, England, and Wales into the "United Kingdom of Greater Britannia." Such a unification would add thousands of pounds of stirling to the English coffers, and give John a decisive advantage in European noble politics for decades to come.

1503- After John's call for unification went through the English parliament, the "Bill for Britannic Unification" passed by a slim margin in the Parliament. On April 1, 1503, all of the Isle of Britannia was unified into the United Kingdom of Greater Britannia, or "Greater Britannia" for short. Greater Britannia was immediatly thrust into the spotlight, thanks to John's announcement of the first English settlement on the island of Cuba named "New London." (New London is where OTL's Havana would be)

With thousands of new feudal tax payers paying out funds to the Britannic Parliament, located in London, and the recognition of John's legitimecy by Pope Alexander VI, King John II was haled by some as the "Greatest King since William of Normandy." Others grumbled that he was a "Tyrant in Sheep's clothes." But whatever the rest of the population may have said, King John II was the first Plantagenet to set foot in Edinburgh as a conqueror, and stay for the long haul.

Go King John, i actually like him lol don't know why though, just for personal interest who would the scotts lord proclaim there monarch in exile? or would they?

Yeah, a fantastic timeline indeed. We'll be getting plenty of King Johns in EUIII I hope ;)

I love the word
Plantagenêt; I dunno' why Henry decided to go with Tudor - I know it was his name, but the best thing would have been to try and legitimise himself by claiming back to Edward III or something.

Ah well, such is life :)

Yeah, a fantastic timeline indeed. We'll be getting plenty of King Johns in EUIII I hope ;)

I love the word
Plantagenêt; I dunno' why Henry decided to go with Tudor - I know it was his name, but the best thing would have been to try and legitimise himself by claiming back to Edward III or something.

Ah well, such is life :)

Wow I see you've hit the ground running mandead, glad to see you stick around and posting too.

Oh if you like medieval TLs check out mine (convenient link in my sig ;) ).

Wow I see you've hit the ground running mandead, glad to see you stick around and posting too.

Oh if you like medieval TLs check out mine (convenient link in my sig ;) ).

Thanks for your kind words :D

I'll check it out shortly. No doubt it'll be a good read!

Divisions of the new lands

The Spanish will not go to war against the English, with the foundation of city in Cuba? This island was already discovered by the Spanish, and there were gold there. They have changed the first agreement with to Portuguese, when realized Cuba and the Caribe was actually in Portuguese territory. Maybe this map can help a little.

The map shows the original proposal to the treaty of Alcáçovas-Toledo, in 1479. The blue line was the first Portuguese proposal: everything south from the Canary Islands should be Portuguese, and all lands to north should go to Spain. It was accepted until 1493, when the Spanish king, realizing that the lands discovered in the west were in Portuguese territory, presented to the Pope the second proposal (red line), making a west/east division, with the border line located 100 leagues west from Cape Verde. This proposal was approved by the Pope.

southamerica01.jpg

Final division

The second map shows the definitive agreement of the treaty of Tordesilhas, in 1494. Portugal accepts a division east/west. But the Portuguese king, John II, using the argument that was impossible go to India making a coastal navigation around Africa, it was necessary a space to maneuver the caravels. He proposed a new line, 370 leagues west from Cape Verde. Accepting some compensations, and realizing Columbus reported that should not exist lands between 100 and 370 leagues west Cape Verde, Spain agreed.

southamerica02.jpg

1496- With King John's admittance into the Line of Demarcation by Pope Alexander VI, England immediatly dispatched John Cabot with a royal charter to explore the new world, and scout for possible areas to settle. As Cabot explored up and down the Newfoundland coast, he came into contact with the Beothuk Native American tribes. These were the same tribes encountered by Viking explorers, and the same tribes fought against by Vikings in 1006.

By the end of his expedition, Cabot left 50 sailors at the settlement of Saint John's on the eastern most point of Newfoundland. These 50 sailors would survive in the harsh Newfoundland environment for 10 months until Cabot would bring a group of 100 settlers to found the first English colony in the new world of Saint John's.
You have missed out the measles epidemic which wiped out two thirds of the initial colony as well as decimating the local Native Americans

With John crowning himself King of Scotland, most Scottish lords who had yet to flee, left Scotland for mainland Europe. Those left in Scotland immediatly pledged fealty to King John II rather than risk loosing their heads. With these oaths of fealty, John went to the English Parliament in London, and ordered the lords to put together an act unifying all of Scotland, England, and Wales into the "United Kingdom of Greater Britannia." Such a unification would add thousands of pounds of stirling to the English coffers, and give John a decisive advantage in European noble politics for decades to come.

1503- After John's call for unification went through the English parliament, the "Bill for Britannic Unification" passed by a slim margin in the Parliament. On April 1, 1503, all of the Isle of Britannia was unified into the United Kingdom of Greater Britannia, or "Greater Britannia" for short.
John II does not need call Parliament in order to unify England Scotland and Wales. All he has to do is invoke Edward I's claim of being Paramount Overlord and the lands are his. To put a bill through Parliament would be to allow the lords and commoners to dictate which lands he has dynastic claim to (which at this time also included France). No selfrespecting Medieval tyrant is going to do that except at the point of a sword.

Of course he might rename his kingdom Britain after the lands the legendary King Arthur ruled, but you would take to check that. If Arthur ruled England then everything is England.

No selfrespecting Medieval tyrant is going to do that except at the point of a sword.

Thats a good point, if I was in that position I don't think I would feel any real pressure to be "Enlightened". "I'm the King, biot......"! just sayin:p

Why would "Greater Britannia" do that move in Cuba? Nobody knows if it would be economically profitable to settle there, King John would have to face rebellious scottish clanlords, the enemity of France that is hosting rebel scottish noblemen, why would they anger Castille, that could become their most powerful ally?