The War of the Triple Alliance

Hashemite

Banned
I am reading an History Today article on the War of the Triple Alliance, between Paraguay and the Triple Alliance of Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay's Colorado Party. The war lasted from 1864 to 1870 in OTL, and was one of the continent's bloodiest war (fi not the bloodiest). IOTL, the Triple Alliance beat Paraguay. Paraguayan dictator Lopez wanted to expand land-locked Paraguay to Uruguay, southern Brazil (Mato Grosso) and northern Argentina. Now WI he had succeded in this war, beating the Triple Alliance?

With ASB's handing him some nukes, for sure. :rolleyes:

Lopez was a sicko: if Paraguay resisted 5 years to a combination of Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay, was not due to his military competence, but to his fanatism. After all he started the war, seeking expansion against Brazil and Argentina. A really bad idea. . He was probably the nearest to Hitler the 19th century saw.

Paraguay lost in only 5 years two thirds of her male population. :eek:

*returns to lurker's paradise*

Even worse, about four fifths of the population died, and only one in twenty survivors was a male older than 15. Even Pol Pot is nothing compared to that.

You have to admire the insanity required for Paraguay to attack Argentina and Brazil at the same time, and Uruguay on top of them. I agree with the Doctor, getting Paraguay to win probably required massive changes pre-war, if not ASBs.

trajen777

Banned
There were two possibilities that I can think of

• Form an alliance with one of the three they fought (or with 2 of the three) to divide up the attacked country – such as what happened to Poland wit Prussia – Russia – AH
  • Purchase heavy superior weapons from Germany – Krupp guns – Gattling guns from US – Military training form Brit / Germany - Poison gas from Germany (kinda early for that) – agitate with displaced populace in one of the countries to form a fifth colm. However they still need to tackle there enemies one by one.