The Union Forever: A TL

Does anybody know of a better 1861 map than this? Also is this the kind of map I should use when I recreate the official maps for this TL? If this is the type of map to use does anybody know where to find them depicting future decades? Thanks

That is the most recent 1861 map. For the 20th century, however, this page is invaluable.

This should be Hungary's flag. It was used by the Habsburgs, and since there'll probably be a Habsburg on the throne (maybe II. Ferenc Ferdinand? ;)), that'd be the flag they'd use. For Serbia, I pasted together a flag in five minutes out of the Serbian civil flag (the Serbian tricolour has existed since 1835) and the royal coat of arms. Croatia can be this; it was used by the Habsburgs, but I think it fits a republic just as well. Slovenia and Slovakia I don't know about.

As for the peace treaty, I think:

- Abandonment of Peruvian claims on Arica and Tacna (both of which were Chilean at the time).
- Favourable border settlements for Ecuador against Peru and for Paraguay (they were in the Free Americas, right?) against Bolivia.
- Restrictions on the Peruvian and Bolivian militaries.
- Free elections to be held in both countries.
- Limited war reparations for Peru and Bolivia.

That is the most recent 1861 map. For the 20th century, however, this page is invaluable.

Great! thanks for the help. But don't you think that Croatia's flag is to much like that of the Netherlands and Luxemburg?

For me too flag of Croatia is too similar with the Netherlands.

But there is my idea about flag of Czech.

Czech.PNG

- Favourable border settlements for Ecuador against Peru and for Paraguay (they were in the Free Americas, right?) against Bolivia.

According to this update, Paraguay didn't join the Free Americas because they had territorial ambitions against Bolivia. I kind of thought maybe they would join the war effort in order to gain the Chaco, perhaps as a distinct co-belligerent, as the FA probably wouldn't allow conquest in their alliance.

- Abandonment of Peruvian claims on Arica and Tacna (both of which were Chilean at the time).
- Restrictions on the Peruvian and Bolivian militaries.
- Free elections to be held in both countries.
- Limited war reparations for Peru and Bolivia.

OTL After the Pacific War (TTL First Atacama War) Chile annexed Tarapacá, and retained Arica and Tacna for 10 years when a plebiscite must have happend - never happend :eek:.
Finally in 1929 under the Treaty of Lima Chile annexed Arica and returned Tacna to Perú.

According to this update, Paraguay didn't join the Free Americas because they had territorial ambitions against Bolivia. I kind of thought maybe they would join the war effort in order to gain the Chaco, perhaps as a distinct co-belligerent, as the FA probably wouldn't allow conquest in their alliance.

Paraguay joined the FA at the very end of the war before they could seize any territory.

1949: Part 6

Part 6: Beyond the War

Although much of the world’s attention during 1949 would be concentrated on the war in South America, other developments both at home and abroad would mark the year as one of the most important of the 20th Century.

Guadeloupe and Martinique join the Union

attachment.php

Flag of the Commonwealth of Guadeloupe and Martinique​

On November 11, 1949 Congress admitted the Caribbean islands of Guadeloupe, Martinique, St. Martin, and Saint Barthelemey into the Union as the nation’s 54th state under the name the Commonwealth of Guadeloupe and Martinique. Guadeloupe and Martinique (GM) obtaining statehood was unique for several reasons, including being the first of the territories acquired after the Great War to be integrated into the Union, and also the first predominately French speaking state to join since Louisiana in 1812. In the 48 years since being annexed by the United States the state’s four islands have seen rapid development in tourism, agriculture, and fishing. Like her Spanish speaking counterparts, Guadeloupe and Martinique uses English as the language of government and teaches it alongside French in public schools.

Beginning of the Indian War of Independence

1949 would mark the beginning of the end of British rule on the Indian subcontinent. On March 13 a protest in Delhi turned bloody when British troops fired into the crowd after being repeatedly struck by rocks killing 48 people and wounding nearly 150. Often compared to the Boston Massacre of the American Revolution, this incident proved to be the match to the Indian powder keg. Within days, riots had spread across the British Raj as British and Loyalist forces struggled to maintain order. On April 5, the annual party congress of the Indian Independence Party (IIP) in Calcutta was raided by police. The delegates resisted causing several deaths before the congress disbanded. Three days later the more radical members reconvened at Calcutta University as the United Front for the Liberation of India (UFLI) were a declaration of independence was issued stating “all inhabitants of South Asia currently ruled by the Government of Great Britain are henceforth and forever free from any allegiance to the same” and that “the territories of the so called British Raj now constituent the independent state of the Free Indian Republic.” The British government under Liberal Prime Minister Isaac Pickering refused to acknowledge the declaration and with the support of King Victor I reluctantly began the deployment of tens of thousands of British troops.

Germans break sound barrier

On December 2, 1949 Major Andreas Scherer of the Imperial German Air Force became the first man to break the sound barrier when piloting his rocket powered MF-49 Komet over German Kameroon. News of this unexpected development sent shock waves around the world as other militaries scrambled to catch up. Embarrassingly, news of the Germans’ triumph reached President Conner only two days after Secretary of War Bernard Kelly had briefed him that “the advent of supersonic aircraft is at least 5 to 10 years away.” Nowadays many historians point to Major Scherer’s flight as an important predecessor to the beginning of the Space Race in the 1950s.

Last edited:
Whatever happened to the INC? Also, is the struggle for independence universal (i.e. do both Muslims and Hindus take part)?

Whatever happened to the INC? Also, is the struggle for independence universal (i.e. do both Muslims and Hindus take part)?

Wiki says the INC wasn't founded until 1885. The IIP/UFLI is basically the TL's counterpart. The struggle for independence is widespread but there will be several competing organizations and movements that will be discussed in future updates.

Sweet flag ;)

Can't wait to see how this Indian Revolution turns out. Also very interested in seeing this space race play out in friendly competition rather than cold war. Who will reach the moon? We don't know!

I'm liking the second one, actually - it's rather similar to the flag of the German puppet kingdom in Lithuania, but that won't exist ITTL, so neither will the problem.

EDIT: Might we see the British trying to recapture some of the glory of times old in space? Either way, if you need some advice on space exploration, don't hesitate to ask. I do think it will start later than IOTL, though, what with the lack of WWII and the rocket reseach at Peenemünde.