The Union Forever: A TL

Doubt this will affect the timeline much, but I've been wondering if the firearms that people are equipped with will changed.

Like for example, the US Army may use the guns by John Browning a lot sooner. Maybe rifles based on the ones made by James Paris Lee, whose Lee-Enfield is most famous OTL wise.

Doubt this will affect the timeline much, but I've been wondering if the firearms that people are equipped with will changed.

Like for example, the US Army may use the guns by John Browning a lot sooner. Maybe rifles based on the ones made by James Paris Lee, whose Lee-Enfield is most famous OTL wise.

Interesting. I would be more than willing to hear for people speculation as to what weapons the belligerents would be using in this TTL. Remember that technology is slightly more advanced ITTL than OTL.

Interesting. I would be more than willing to hear for people speculation as to what weapons the belligerents would be using in this TTL. Remember that technology is slightly more advanced ITTL than OTL.

I wonder what tanks will look like in this TL, i know that France already has armored vehicles.

I just hope we get to see one of these babys soon:

EMHAR_5002_72_MKIV_FEMALE.JPG

Emperor Ferdinand Maximilian

Oh, yes! Maximilian as Emperor would likely help the Austrians survive all this; he was reputed to be quite liberal after all.

I see the Austrians working out a separate peace once they realize they're in over their heads, and since this is a Napoleonic France we're talking about as an ally... ;)

As his birth date is after the POD, ITTL he was never born.
While I agree that we will not see most of the people that we saw IOTL, I don't necessarily think that someone conceived 5 seconds after the POD in China will not be born. While, we will likely not see General George Patton leading American Troops to Victory in some kind of second Great War. We may very well see someone similiar to a person to OTL (same name, same parents, similar ambitions as the person IOTL).

The Austrians have been able to hold such a long front because the Russians up till early 1909 have been busy either fighting Japan in the East or pushing the Austro-Hungarians out of Russian Poland.

Concerning Japan, it is important to remember that Japan was winning against Russia for most of first part of the war so they had little incentive to make peace. Now, Russia refuses to make peace with Japan unless the Japanese relinquish Korea. That would be tantamount to admitting defeat for the Japanese so they have no choice but to continue the war. Furthermore, Japan is more capable to conduct the war than OTL because ITTL Japan is stronger, having annexed Korea in 1900 as opposed to 1910. However, it is fair to say though that Japan is severely strained by the ongoing war.

So Russia has just spent the war twiddling its thumbs and playing around with the Japanese instead of attacking the Austro-Hungarians? Sure, they may have much of their resources initially focused against the Japanese, but they will quickly focus their power against the Austrians. Considering the Austrians have no Germany to help them, they will get squashed. Considering how worried the Austrian Government was about war with a weaker Russia in OTL, I would bet the Austrians wouldn't last that long.

If they did as well as they did as good as they did in OTL, they have every incentive to make peace, since they have won everything they can and are negotiating from a position of strength. If they fight on, they risk losing their gains and they waste money over a pointless war than neither country wants to fight.

Annexing Korea won't suddenly make Japan capable of taking on the Russians for 4 long years. It will make Japan stronger, but not that strong.

Then again, what is done is done, so none of this matters.

The War in the East will eventually be a Russian victory. Earlier posts have indicated that Russia is rapidly industrializing and preparing for a long war. The Czar probably has ten Japans worth of manpower at his disposal and far more resources to feed his factories. Russian industry and manpower will eventually flattened the Japanese once the body count hits a certain point that Japan will be hard pressed to replace. Russia also doesn't have to worry about a silly naval blockade either. France will have its hand tied with the Royal and US Navies, and he can easily pull any need sources from his own land or from his new allies. Just ask that ships to fly a British flag if you need to ship stuff East.

Presuming the US Army does use a Lee rifle it while either be derived from the M1885, which will end up looking similar to the Lee-Enfield.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1885_Remington-Lee
Alternately, there is the M1895.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1895_Lee_Navy
This one is more modern so there will be less changes of course. But the 6mm caliber is interesting and while the en bloc clips (like the Garand) may be a step backwards, it does still allow for rapid loading.

The Maxim machine gun is likely being replaced by the M1917 machine. John Browning actually had received the patent for it in 1890, but the US Army wasn't interested. The M1917 is updated version of that design.

I wonder what tanks will look like in this TL, i know that France already has armored vehicles.

I just hope we get to see one of these babys soon:
Doubtful, may appear as siege vehicles.
Armored car have been mentioned and armored tracks are likely around.

While I agree that we will not see most of the people that we saw IOTL, I don't necessarily think that someone conceived 5 seconds after the POD in China will not be born. While, we will likely not see General George Patton leading American Troops to Victory in some kind of second Great War. We may very well see someone similiar to a person to OTL (same name, same parents, similar ambitions as the person IOTL).

So Russia has just spent the war twiddling its thumbs and playing around with the Japanese instead of attacking the Austro-Hungarians? Sure, they may have much of their resources initially focused against the Japanese, but they will quickly focus their power against the Austrians. Considering the Austrians have no Germany to help them, they will get squashed. Considering how worried the Austrian Government was about war with a weaker Russia in OTL, I would bet the Austrians wouldn't last that long.

If they did as well as they did as good as they did in OTL, they have every incentive to make peace, since they have won everything they can and are negotiating from a position of strength. If they fight on, they risk losing their gains and they waste money over a pointless war than neither country wants to fight.

Annexing Korea won't suddenly make Japan capable of taking on the Russians for 4 long years. It will make Japan stronger, but not that strong.

Then again, what is done is done, so none of this matters.

*Spoilers*

Mr. Gangster:

Although, not specifically mentioned the Russo-AustroHungarian border has not been entirely without action, but the rough parity of forces has not allowed either Russia or Austria-Hungary to gain much territory either way. Furthermore, the Russians have not been "twiddling their thumbs." As mentioned Russia has been very busy having just successfully repulsed a massive Austro-Hungarian offensive towards Warsaw, a Turkish offensive in the Caucuses, and have driven the Japanese out of Manchuria. As you will see in a few posts, Russia is about to launch a massive offensive into Hungary. The lack of a major offensive against A-H until now has been in keeping with Russian policy of pooling their resources until they are ready to strike. As always thanks for the comments and please keep them coming. Cheers!

The Great War: War in the Americas March-June 1909
War in the Americas

March-June 1909

US+Marines+in+battle+in+the+Philippines+1899-1904.jpg

U.S forces at the Battle of Guadeloupe
May, 1909

The entry of the United States in the Great War turned the conflict into a truly global war as the Western Hemisphere became a new theater of operations. As would be revealed after the war, American Secretary of State, William McKinley, had struck a deal with his British counterpart in the early days of February, 1909, that in the case America and Britain joined the Alliance, the United States would seize all French territory in the New World. This would allow the Lincoln Administration to keep its pledge to uphold the Monroe Doctrine as well as help clear the Western Hemisphere of Entente vessels. As such Secretary of War Theodore Roosevelt made conquering all French colonies in the Americas the Navy and Marine Corp’s primary goal during the early days of American involvement.

The Panama Canal

The single most important Entente possession in the Western Hemisphere was the French built and controlled Panama Canal. The French were well aware of the canal’s importance but also of its utter vulnerability. The United States Navy began blockading both sides of the canal in earnest by mid March, 1909. Although the Canal Zone was protected by a number of coastal fortifications the garrison, like most of France’s colonies, was severely under strength as the majority of troops had been recalled to Europe. The French commander Brigadier General Sinclair Montague attempted to save the canal by “transferring it” to France’s ally the neighboring United States of Colombia. Although the Colombian government was tempted by the offer, they wisely refused when the American naval commander threatened to open fire “on any Colombian forces which might try to take possession of the isthmus’s canal.”

On April 2, 1909 the Battle of Panama began when elements of the 1st Marine Division landed amidst enormous amounts of naval gunfire on the canal’s Pacific coast. After three days of bitter fighting, Panama City fell to the Americans. Although the French canal stretched for nearly another 50 miles, General Montague deemed that it would be only a matter of time before the Americans captured the entire waterway. Therefore, on April 7, 1909 Montague ordered for the locks still under French control to be destroyed and for the remaining French vessels to be scuttled in the canal. Although Montague would surrender the French garrison four days later, the canal was rendered completely inoperable. The United States still possessed its Nicaraguan Canal but the loss of a working Panama Canal proved to be a serious blow to Alliance shipping.

French Guiana

Following the capture of the Canal, the Americans next principal target was French Guiana. France’s only South American territory, Guiana had been ruled by France since 1643. With a population of only 36,000 the small colony provided the French Empire with valuable amounts of raw materials such as gold, timber, and fish and agricultural products. On April 21, 1909 Cayenne, the colony’s capital and largest city, fell to American forces after a brief naval bombardment silenced the city’s defenses. The small French garrison did not stay to defend the city but instead withdrew to the jungle interior to wage a guerrilla war against the invaders. The Guiana Campaign is also notable for the deployment of the San Cristobal Volunteers from the Commonwealth of Santo Domingo. The San Cristobal Volunteers would earn distinction for themselves as fierce jungle fighters as well as being an “integrated” unit consisting of white, black, and mulatto soldiers.

Guadeloupe and Martinique

The Caribbean islands of Guadeloupe and Martinique were the most populous colonies in France’s New World empire. As such they proved to be the hardest nuts to crack. The Battle of Guadeloupe was the fiercest naval battle fought in the Caribbean, when on May 2, 1909 two U.S. Navy Squadrons attempted to blast the French defenses to pieces. French shore batteries proved especially resilient to American gunfire. The biggest blow however was the sinking of the cruiser USS Danville by a French submarine. Despite the heavy losses, the Americans were eventually able to make a landing on the island, but it would take until the end of May before the island was deemed secure and only after heavy fighting. The taking of Martinique in June was just as difficult and resulted in over 5,000 American casualties before the island was finally subdued.

Saint Barthelemey, Saint Martin, and Saint Pierre and Miquelon

France possessed a few other small islands in the Western Hemisphere. The tiny islands of Saint Pierre and Miquelon in the north Atlantic were actually the first piece of French territory to be captured by American forces in the Great War, surrendering on March 12, 1909 after putting up only a ceremonial defense. The small Caribbean islands of Saint Barthelemey and Saint Martin surrendered without a fight on May 11 and May 13 respectively.

Conclusion

In the end, the United States was able to secure all of France’s new world territory in roughly four months. American success came at a price though as they suffered higher casualties than expected. This was surprising considering that France’s Caribbean garrisons were under strength and that the Imperial French Navy, having been recalled to Europe, did not seriously contest American naval dominance. Regardless the string of victories bolstered American moral and strengthen the Lincoln Administration.

Last edited:
wow go America I am loving this so I wonder will these colonies be made permanent territories of the United States and now with no real access to the pacific how long will it be before Vietnam, Philippines and New Guinea fall and what have Britain done to the war effort so far

I bet Brazilian-American Relations would be strained. The French Soldiers fighting Gurellia war in French Guyana would likely get supplies from Brazil, Frances Ally, this could cause big problems with the United States.

South America might be dragged into the war :eek:

I'll bet that's what the French have planned, trying to get an american ally of their own in on the war, or maybe both USC and Brazil enter Entente if things go badly for the US , if both countries are(as implied) friendly to France.
By the way, Russian general Yudenich would still be around in this TL to wage his Caucaus campaign, so what is he doing now? Also, Russian generals Brusilov and Ruzsky are still around in this TL as are their A-H opponents Victor Dankl, Moritz Von Auffenberg, Svetozar Boroevic and Conrad Hotzendorf, excluding Hotzendorf, those guys were some of the more successful A-H generals, in my humble opinion. Also for Eastern Front generals Serbian marshal Radomir Putnik who beat off the Austrian invasion in 1914 is still around in this TL too.
I would love to hear more of the Balkans/Eastern Front.
Great TL, keep it coming

Also, for weapons in use, most of the belligerents would have fewer machine guns than OTL as it was the Russo-Japanese war that caused many to upgrade the amounts of MGs in their unit structure.
The Brits would have the Vickers Mk I MG which in OTL was adopted in 1890 though redesigned following the Boer War so their's is still the original clunky design.
The Germans had the 1908 Maxim in OTL, now the Prussians probably have the Maxim 1901 if any, seeing as they haven't unified Germany.
The Russians have Maxim guns, and they actually should have an edge in MGs as they had large numbers compared to the Japanese in the Russo-Japanese war OTL.
The French have their 75mm artillery pieces(1897) and for their MGs either:St Etienne 1907 MG, which was a flop, withdrawn from service in 1916, or the 1905 Puteaux which also wasnt great(though of this one I don't know as much)
The A-H have the Schwartzlose M1907 MG, a decent gun.
The US probably have the Maxim gun as well, in OTL they used the Vickers like UK.
I don't believe the Japanese have a machine gun officially in use in their army at this time.
The Serbs, Bulgarians, and Montenegrans probably use the Maxim gun or the Schwartzlose obtained from A-H or Russia, don't know how you want to work it now but Bulgaria was main Russian ally in Balkans before 2nd balkans war, then it became Serbia.
The Ottoman army was in OTL modernized by the Germans, if we assume the French took over this role, then they have French equipment, pity them in every department except 3 inch artillery!(jk)
Also, in OTL the French shared their recoil-less tech only with allies, so probably A-H and the Turks have those as well, meaning the Entente has the advantage in small bore artillery on all fronts; with OTL Germans having the firepower advantage with more heavier guns, does this follow to the Prussians, Krupp, etc?
At this time frame most armies except the Russians and the Brits, maybe the French, are simply lacking in MGs and thus the battlefields should be slightly more flexible.
Hope this helps:)
keep up the good work