The Union Forever: A TL

There was one in Yorkdale somewhere. Although a lot of Canada's Ukrainians were actually from Austrian Galicia (I forgot how stable that area was), and wherever they were from a lot came pre-WWI OTL when both nations were fairly stable. Most ended up in the Prairies though, more than Ontario.

I imagine that the Canadian government ITTL would likely want to resettle IEF refugees in the prairie provinces as well. Still room to have a Little Ukraine in Toronto though.

There. But I am quiet unsure about Kurdistan. And I can just assume that Azerbaijan, Dagestan, Chechnya and Turkic Republics are on Persian camp. I am not sure about status of Armenia and Georgia.

View attachment 306284

Surprised they held on to Tibet and East Turkistan.

Them hardly has good options. If they leave, they probably will go to Technate bloc and probably back to part of China.

Germany's made some amazing gains. Now has a buffer against the IEF.
Wonder why Kurdistan is still with the Orthodox Council, and how come China didn't just annex Manchuria?

Aren't they already? Another thing is can they ever take Manchuria back.

Great comments y'all. After the 2005 or 2006 update I will post an more nuanced alliance map.

how come Romania didn't at least try to take control of Bessarabia? it would make sense given that every other non Russian part of the IEF has broken off.

That didn't stop the rest of its neighbouring countries to support breakaway states. Romania is in the German camp now, which has already ensured the independence of Poland, Finland and the baltics so it seems perfectly plausible for Romania to have moved into bessarabia during the collapse of the reformists in Ukraine and, with German backing, present the conservatives with a fait accompli, similar to what the Germans did with the breakaway states.

It could likely be a Conservative stronghold as well; it's also possible that a separate Moldovan identity had been created OTL. Or, perhaps, Bessarabia could be heavily settled by Russians in similar patterns to OTL (which are helped by the lack of demographic catastrophes), so the region has a strong Russian minority.

One thing that is helped is that the other states in the west were incidents of members of a federation voluntarily seceding from the union, and then granted support afterwards. They did not attempt to penetrate beyond their own defined borders. (the only region where borders changed were Central Asia)

However, no country invaded the IEF the establish these separate countries (well, the Technate did everything but), nor did they invade while seeking territorial gain. If Romania did invade, and in the aftermath they are busy fighting IEF forces during the armistice, it is more than likely that the IEF's initial position would be for the traitorous member of her alliance group to vacate any territory that was yet occupied before talks would even begin on the talk of recognition of the other states. The absence of a rebel group in Bessarabia shows that there simply isn't a major desire for independence, either naturally or due to the presence of a large Russian population... which, in the end, gives the same result.

Regarding Romania and Bessarabia. If you recall Romania's government was much more concerned about self preservation during the IEF Civil War than territorial aggrandizement. As Luminous pointed out, no foreign country actually invaded IEF territory due to the conflict. Also, there was a strong Conservative force located in southern Bessarabia for much of the war.

2005: Foreign and Domestic Developmenents

Foreign and Domestic Developments

Technate of Manchuria.png

Technate of Manchuria
2002 - 2005​

On January 6, the Technate of China officially annexed Manchuria after a hurried referendum declared 97.1% of the population in favor of becoming a “special autonomous administrative district” of China. Having spent 97 years separate from China, nearly everyone doubted the authenticity of the referendum’s results. Conducted during the final days of the Zaal administration and with the IEF still reeling from its civil war the international reaction was vocal but entailed little action. Resolutions in the Fellowship of Nations opposing annexation were vetoed by the Technocratic Union.

The year marked the 25th anniversary of the end of the Asia-Pacific War with observances and commemorations held across the world. President Rowland broke ground on the National Asia-Pacific War Memorial in Washington D.C. The anniversary also prompted some concerns over the lifting of Japanese military restrictions set to expire in five years. The Technocratic Union was adamantly against the Japanese rearming while other power blocs desired Japan to take a more active role in counterbalancing China in East Asia.

In the German general election, Ernest Osterloh was reelected to an unprecedented fourth term as chancellor. However, in order to retain power Osterloh and his Conservatives were forced into an awkward coalition with the Cameroon based KVD and the EKD, Germany’s leading Ecoist political party.

During the spring, Semere Kelati the President of Aksum was ousted from power by a popular uprising when he refused to step down after losing a recent election. Fleeing to neighboring Abyssinia, Kelati secured the backing from fellow strongman and African nationalist Tariku Birra to help return him to power. In May, Abyssinia invaded Aksum and quickly overran the country. While Kelati was reinstalled in the presidential palace, Aksum became little more than a protectorate of Abyssinia. While some called on the Commonwealth of Nations to help their former colony, the fact that Aksum was not a ComNat member prohibited any intervention.

On April 16, Turkey, the Azeri Republic, and the Democratic Union of Turkic Republics signed the Treaty of Baku establishing the Turkic League. While the agreement’s stated purpose was to “promote the fraternal bonds between the Turkic peoples” many viewed it as an attempt to block the growing power of Persia and its Organization for Mutual Progress.

In June, the American company Orion Transportation successfully launched its first satellite into low Earth orbit from its spaceport outside Salt Lake City, Utah. Weighing in at only 13kg, Orion Transportation was a pioneer in the development of microsatellites or micro-sats.

In September, a new pipeline linking Kurdish oil fields to the city of Tartus on the Mediterranean opened. Having begun construction in 2000, the project strengthened the ties between the Kingdom of Kurdistan and the Republic of Greater Syria. King Reza increasingly sought Syria as a benefactor and protector since the withdrawal of the IEF from the region and the growing rivalry between Turkey and Persia.

On December 1, the Canadian territory of Athabaska became the nation’s tenth province. Over the last two decades, and especially since the oil shortages caused by the IEF Civil War, Athabaska’s tiny population had surged after an influx of energy sector and construction workers. Canadian Prime Minister Bernice Alderdice and King Edward VIII attended the chilly ceremony in the capital of McDougall, a bustling city on the left bank of the North Saskatchewan River.

Flag of Athabaska.png

Flag of Athabaska​

Last edited:
However, in order to retain power Osterloh and his Conservatives were forced into an awkward coalition with the Cameroon based KVD and the EKD, Germany’s leading Ecoist political party.
This is good because it forces opposing forces to work together and learn to trust.

Regina is fairly far south (and not on the Saskatchewan river). I would guess Prince Albert, (North) Battleford, or maybe Edmonton.
Looks like McDougall replaced Edmonton, from the looks of things. It is the only main city that is on the North Saskatchewan river.

Perhaps the League of Hormuz, Caspian Collective, Organization of Iranian States, or the Cyrus Alliance?

League of Hormuz

I am not sure. I think that only Persia is next of that.

Caspian Collective

Only Persia and Dagestan are next of Caspian altough Chechnya and Afghanistan are close too. I am not sure if this is very good name.

Organization of Iranian States

Better than previous suggesions altough Mesopotamia, Dagestan and Chechnya aren't Iranic nations.

Cyrus Alliance

I don't know. Bit odd name alliance after ancient pre-Islamic ruler.

Organization of Mutual progress or League for Mutual Cooperation sounds better. One good possibility is Tehran Pact.

McDougall, Athabaska is OTL Regina, Saskatchewan, isn't it?

Regina is fairly far south (and not on the Saskatchewan river). I would guess Prince Albert, (North) Battleford, or maybe Edmonton.

Looks like McDougall replaced Edmonton, from the looks of things. It is the only main city that is on the North Saskatchewan river.

RyderWest is correct. McDougall is located near OTL's Edmonton. ITTL the city of McDougall grows around Fort Edmonton. It is named after George McDougall a Methodist missionary who operated in the area.

Perhaps the League of Hormuz, Caspian Collective, Organization of Iranian States, or the Cyrus Alliance?

League of Hormuz

I am not sure. I think that only Persia is next of that.

Caspian Collective

Only Persia and Dagestan are next of Caspian altough Chechnya and Afghanistan are close too. I am not sure if this is very good name.

Organization of Iranian States

Better than previous suggesions altough Mesopotamia, Dagestan and Chechnya aren't Iranic nations.

Cyrus Alliance

I don't know. Bit odd name alliance after ancient pre-Islamic ruler.

Organization of Mutual progress or League for Mutual Cooperation sounds better. One good possibility is Tehran Pact.

Also, is the Turkic League going to go on the Alliances map? If so, may I suggest the traditional Turkic sky blue for the color?

Interesting suggestions, but I don't think they would work for the reasons Lalli mentioned. Another option could be Organization of Islamic Nations. However, Persia isn't nearly as religious as OTL so the name would be mere window dressing.

The Turkic League will be added to future Alliance maps. Sky blue would make sense, but might be to close to CSAS or the ocean. What about dark green?

RyderWest is correct. McDougall is located near OTL's Edmonton. ITTL the city of McDougall grows around Fort Edmonton. It is named after George McDougall a Methodist missionary who operated in the area.
Ah... I was hoping for a giant Battleford. But I suppose Edmonton is warmer.

I'm guessing it's a lot smaller than OTL though? (Was over a million people at that point OTL, a single city of 200K would probably have pushed the territory into province status.)