The Union Forever: A TL

Foreign Developments

attachment.php

After considerable debate, the Republic of Spain joined the Turin Pact alongside France and Italy on January 29. Smaller in population and GDP than France or Italy, Spain had much to gain from joining its neighboring Catholic republics. Understandably, Spain’s ascension to the Turin Pact, now also known as the Triple Alliance, cemented the divide with the monarchist and German aligned Kingdom of Spain that controlled the Balearic and Canary Islands.

On February 4, Burma became a fully independent nation inside of the British Commonwealth. Former general Khin Hlaing was sworn in as the new Prime Minister. Khin Hlaing immediately sought monetary help from the British Commonwealth and Community of South Asian States to develop his country and fight the myriad of Krulikist and ethnic minority guerillas that were threatening to tear it apart.

In the spring, East African author Rose Musyoka released the Road to Mombasa a critically acclaimed work of African surrealism that became an international best seller.

In Germany, Chancellor Hermann Lasker and his Democratic Union (DDU) lost control of the Reichstag during the general election largely due to his plan to grant the colony of Cameroon full statehood. The Conservatives who had campaigned to keep Cameroon a colony swept into power with Ernst Osterloh becoming chancellor.

On March 26, the Persian Empire conducted its first successful nuclear weapons test becoming the 8th nuclear armed nation after Germany, the United States, Britain, the IEF, France, Italy, and China. The incident sparked protests from anti-nuclear groups and renewed calls for an international treaty to curb nuclear proliferation.

In the 1990 British General Election Prime Minister Cledwyen Bates-Morgan and his Liberal Party lost control of the government. Most pundits pointed to the ailing economy and unhappiness with decolonization failures such as Chad. A Conservative/Imperial Progressive/Unionist coalition government under Ned Frasier was formed vowing to rescue the British Commonwealth form its “slow decent into irrelevance.”

The 19th Summer Olympics were held in Vancouver, Canada. The damage suffered during the 1977 air raid by Imperial Japan had long been repaired by the time King Edward VIII and Canadian Prime Minister Hector Marchand opened the games. Coincidently this would be the first summer Olympics attended by Japan since the Asia-Pacific War.

On September 30, Heng Jiang the founder and leader of the Technate of China died at the age of 79. In the technate’s first ever transfer of power; Heng’s chosen successor Yu Qishan assumed the position of chief executive without any serious challengers. Yu, the aggressive former head of the Directorate of Defense, declared that he would lead China into the twenty-first century making it the “pinnacle of nations.” Yu also voiced his continued support for “forward thinking” irregulars fighting IEF forces in Manchuria.

In Costa Rica, six new national parks were established by the ruling Natural Front the first Ecoist political party to win a majority in a national election.

In December, Norwegian astronomers Lene Nilsen and Gunnar Abrahamsen announced the discovery of a 10th planet in the solar system. Named Niflheim after the primordial world of ice and cold in Norse mythology the small planet reaches a maximum distance of 6,303,637,000 miles from the sun in its heavily elliptical 558 year orbit.[1]

260px-Eris_and_dysnomia2.jpg

Niflheim and its unnamed moon
Johannes Kepler Space Telescope
Imperial Space and Aeronautics Commission
[1] Known in OTL as the dwarf planet Eris

Last edited:
Regarding Germany, colonial autonomy will eventually have to be done.
Yu, the aggressive former head of the Directorate of Defense, declared that he would lead China into the twentieth century making it the “pinnacle of nations.” Yu also voiced his continued support for “forward thinking” irregulars fighting IEF forces in Manchuria.
Yu seems bent on causing a war. Technocracy is going to be very bad to China.

I had a feeling Republican Spain would be a perfect candidate for the Turin pact. Let's hope it doesn't come to blows in Europe. Doesn't seem terribly likely, but it's possible there could be some economic... disagreements.

But hey, this is a different world. 2 big multi-continental-player wars in Asia in the last 20 years could mean a lot of differences.

What's China's position in Burma at the moment? Burma was part of the South India economic agreement a while back in opposition to the Technate influence in SE Asia, but China helped liberate Burma just a few years before that. I'd imagine the Krulikists and other guerrillas could find an easy backer in China.

Looks like the German populace is doubling down on empire.

There are 8 nuclear-armed nations; how about nuclear-powered ones? How about nuclear-powered navies?

Don't think the British Commonwealth has any possibilities of reversing course on individual independence of the constituents, but I suppose a way the British (spec. the conservative wings that are unhappy with the downfall of "relevance" could push for a more united supranational front.

Fuck yeah, Costa Rica.

Wow, discovering Eris 15 years early?! That multi-polar space race is paying off in spades!

Listen, MacGregor, you have made this world into a comparable utopia with no Nazis, no Bolsheviks, and no WWII. Please do not ruin it with thermonuclear war between the AES and the Turin Pact!

Regarding Germany, colonial autonomy will eventually have to be done.
Yu seems bent on causing a war. Technocracy is going to be very bad to China.

A typo, you said Yu would lead China into the twentieth century. Unless China has time travel or you meant out of, it should be twenty first.

I had a feeling Republican Spain would be a perfect candidate for the Turin pact. Let's hope it doesn't come to blows in Europe. Doesn't seem terribly likely, but it's possible there could be some economic... disagreements.

But hey, this is a different world. 2 big multi-continental-player wars in Asia in the last 20 years could mean a lot of differences.

What's China's position in Burma at the moment? Burma was part of the South India economic agreement a while back in opposition to the Technate influence in SE Asia, but China helped liberate Burma just a few years before that. I'd imagine the Krulikists and other guerrillas could find an easy backer in China.

Looks like the German populace is doubling down on empire.

There are 8 nuclear-armed nations; how about nuclear-powered ones? How about nuclear-powered navies?

Don't think the British Commonwealth has any possibilities of reversing course on individual independence of the constituents, but I suppose a way the British (spec. the conservative wings that are unhappy with the downfall of "relevance" could push for a more united supranational front.

Fuck yeah, Costa Rica.

Wow, discovering Eris 15 years early?! That multi-polar space race is paying off in spades!

Listen, MacGregor, you have made this world into a comparable utopia with no Nazis, no Bolsheviks, and no WWII. Please do not ruin it with thermonuclear war between the AES and the Turin Pact!

But... but...

Calling it. Chinese gets nuked.

I hope Korea comes out strong (nationalism arggh).

Damn those techs!

Rallying cry of the Second Great War? :D

Thanks for the feedback y'all. To touch on a few questions.

China is increasingly interested in Burma, although Manchuria has priority right now. It is financing and harboring Kurlikist guerrillas and would love to see a technocratic government come to power in Rangoon. Overt aggression against the Burma or Siam isn't really being considered at the moment.

Nuclear power is spreading and like OTL is more widespread than just the nations with nuclear weapons. Nuclear navies are less common with only the USA, IEF, Germany, and UK operating more than a few token nuclear vessels. However, China is developing a larger nuclear powered blue water navy.

Thanks for the feedback y'all. To touch on a few questions.

China is increasingly interested in Burma, although Manchuria has priority right now. It is financing and harboring Kurlikist guerrillas and would love to see a technocratic government come to power in Rangoon. Overt aggression against the Burma or Siam isn't really being considered at the moment.

Nuclear power is spreading and like OTL is more widespread than just the nations with nuclear weapons. Nuclear navies are less common with only the USA, IEF, Germany, and UK operating more than a few token nuclear vessels. However, China is developing a larger nuclear powered blue water navy.

Thanks for the info

I was bored. Heres a better map of the world before the great war. A couple questions, what exactly were the fronts of the Chinese Civil War at this point, are the borders in Africa correct? Anything else?

before the war.png

Profile: Kendrick Arneson
Kendrick Arneson(1891-1920)

Kendrick Arneson in his flying gear.

Born in Smithville, Absaroka, May 14th, 1891, Kendrick Arneson was determined to make a name for himself. At 18, shortly after graduating high school, Arneson joined the army to fight in the Great War. After a few months in the trenches, Arneson transferred to the U.S. Army Flying Brigade where he quickly rose in rank to Sergeant. After the war, he stayed in the U.S. Army Flying Brigade and was eventually promoted to Captain. He married Maud Lindburgh on June 12th, 1912. They had four children, Theresa, Joan, Irene and Robert. A believer and promoter of flight Arneson saw the potential of the airplane to connect the world together. Sadly, Kendrick Arneson was killed in a plane crash on June 19th, 1920 at age 29.

Last edited:
I was bored. Heres a better map of the world before the great war. A couple questions, what exactly were the fronts of the Chinese Civil War at this point, are the borders in Africa correct? Anything else?

Something seems off to me about the Nebraska border; do they have the panhandle in this timeline? Also, Alaska and Hawai'i are definitely territories at this time. I can't remember which other nations were.

There should be no American Panama territory; it was purchased after the Great War. The Panama Canal should be French, and the rest belonging to Panama.

St. Pierre and Miquelon should be French as well. Belize should be a British colony. I don't think Iceland should be independent at this time. The Palatinate should belong to Bavaria, not Prussia. Poland's eastern border looks a little wonky. Vatican City is missing. Dalmatia belongs to Austria proper, while Bosnia should be separate from them both (I believe) or still under condominium with the Ottomans.

I'm not sure if Tuva should be independent at this point. Should Nepal be shown the same as Bhutan and Sikhim? It seems odd for them to be shown differently than those two. Also, New Caledonia should be long to France; it went to Australia after the war. Southeast Papua should be a separate colony from Australia (I think)

Something seems off to me about the Nebraska border; do they have the panhandle in this timeline? Also, Alaska and Hawai'i are definitely territories at this time. I can't remember which other nations were.

There should be no American Panama territory; it was purchased after the Great War. The Panama Canal should be French, and the rest belonging to Panama.

St. Pierre and Miquelon should be French as well. Belize should be a British colony. I don't think Iceland should be independent at this time. The Palatinate should belong to Bavaria, not Prussia. Poland's eastern border looks a little wonky. Vatican City is missing. Dalmatia belongs to Austria proper, while Bosnia should be separate from them both (I believe) or still under condominium with the Ottomans.

I'm not sure if Tuva should be independent at this point. Should Nepal be shown the same as Bhutan and Sikhim? It seems odd for them to be shown differently than those two. Also, New Caledonia should be long to France; it went to Australia after the war. Southeast Papua should be a separate colony from Australia (I think)

I think that Vatican was part of Italy on this point.

But there is few things more:

Afghanistan and Nepal were under influence of United Kingdom.

Korea was part of Japan.

Sweden-Norway was still exist.

I think that Siam-French Indochina border is wrong.

Ireland get dominion status after Great War.

Clipperton belong to France before Great War.

I think that Vatican was part of Italy on this point.

But there is few things more:

Afghanistan and Nepal were under influence of United Kingdom.

Korea was part of Japan.

Sweden-Norway was still exist.

I think that Siam-French Indochina border is wrong.

Ireland get dominion status after Great War.

Clipperton belong to France before Great War.

Ah, point. I forget about the Vatican captivity.

Also, about the African internal borders: I think that Tunis is still separate from Tripolitania. The Tripolitanian-Algerian border shown is the one that was finalized after the war (I think. It was a result of the retcon of the world maps). I think Cameroon was the same, and it was closer to the OTL borders. (Maybe. take that one with a grain of salt)

Nebraska border is wrong, it will be fixed

Indeed, the Panama Canal should be French while the rest goes to Columbia

St. Pierre and Miquelon are indeed French

Belize is British. Its just hard to see because of the claim lines of Guatemala

I guess the Palatine should go to Bavaria, the old maps have it as a Prussian puppet.

I gave Poland and extra province by mistake

Vatican city didn't exist

I will give Dalmatia to Austria, but I would like to see MacGregors opinion on the situation in Bosnia

Tuva actually is De Jure independent, so are Tibet, East Turkestan, and Mongolia, China is colored by spheres of influence, I was reading the old chapters, China is even more of a mess than OTL at this point, as the civil war between Imperialist and Republicans dragging on

Afghanistan and Nepal ARE under British influence, forgot to put that on the map

Is Korea part of Japan? I'm pretty sure its just a puppet

Sweden-Norway is still a thing. Forgot it lasted long ITTL

I think the Siam-French border is wrong too, but I don't know what it would be

Again, I'm pretty sure Ireland was already a dominion

I will give clipperton to France

You are probably right about Africa. I will change that.