The Union Forever: A TL

It seems that in order to counterbalance the increased diversity of Presidents, around a third of the remaining ones are required to be called Lincoln. Sort of like that old joke about streets in Atlanta.

Awesome. A third Lincoln in the White House. :cool:

It seems that in order to counterbalance the increased diversity of Presidents, around a third of the remaining ones are required to be called Lincoln. Sort of like that old joke about streets in Atlanta.

Will Abraham Lincoln IV be considered "the first Black President"?

Glad we seem to like a Lincoln in the white house.

Will he be considered "the first Black President"? He did capture 65% of the vote from ethnic minorities but I wouldn't go that far.

Also, I am still looking for a good photograph to use for Abe #4 so PM me with the name if you find one.

Last edited:
1988: Foreign Developments

Foreign Developments

On January 5, the British protectorates of Aden and Hadhramaut united to become a fully independent state styled South Arabia. Although the new nation decided to not remain inside of the British Commonwealth, South Arabia maintained close economic and defense ties with Britain. Aden would continue to serve as an important port of call and over the years developed a reputation as a tax haven and resort city for Arabs, South Asians, and Africans. The 1988 Winter Olympics are held in Stockholm, Sweden.

After nearly 47 years on the throne, German Emperor Fredrick IV died at the age of 92. He was succeeded by his eldest son who was crowned Wilhelm III. Unlike his progressive father, Wilhelm III was a more conservative man with deep ties to the German military. In speeches later that year, the outspoken Wilhelm III expressed his support for his so called “three pillars of German greatness”; traditional family values, scientific achievement, and military prowess. Needless to say, these facts did not sit well with many German progressives who saw the new emperor as a reactionary.

On February 2, the oppressive King of Mesopotamia Aqil II was ousted in a military coup and executed sparking months of street fighting and civil unrest. Led by Colonel Isa Abu Samad of Basra the revolution pitted Sunni progressives and most of the Shia population against loyalists in the Mesopotamian army and conservative Sunnis. As chaos swept the country, oil prices spiked helping to trigger a worldwide recession. After failing to capture Ramadi, Abu Samad sought the assistance of Persia to break the stalemate. Shah Hamid Hassan Qajar agreed to help providing money, air support, and advisors. By the end of the year, Abu Samad had gained control over the Euphrates River Valley and established himself as the ruler of the new State of Mesopotamia. Other Arab powers such as Egypt, Arabia, and Syria decried this extension of Persian influence and refused to recognize Abu Samad’s regime.

On July 12, a series of explosions rocked the IEF city of Mukden, Manchuria killing 24 people and wounding 95. A group known as the Manchurian Technocratic Movement took credit for the attacks. The IEF blamed China for sponsoring the terrorists; an accusation the Chinese government denied but did state that the MTM’s goals of a Technocratic Manchuria free from the IEF were “understandable.” Further bombings and targeted killing of IEF officials continued as the year progressed.

In August, the Pan-American Highway was officially declared complete after the final segment was finished in the Colombian state of Darién uniting North and South America. Considered a modern marvel the 30,000 km Pan-American Highway allowed contiguous road travel from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego. Over the next several decades, expansions, spur lines, and tunnels will push the Pan-American Highway even further.

On September 20, China became the fourth nation to send a man into space with launch of Shíxiàn I.

In December, the six year long civil war in Mozambique came to an end when warlord Mario Macumbi gained control of the capital city of Chiveve at the convergence of the Buzi and Pungwe Rivers. Macumbi soon installed himself as the first president of the Republic of Mozambique and began a ruthless crackdown on any suspected rivals. Constantly short on funds, Macumbi would acquire a reputation of cozying up to any foreign power who could supply him with money and weapons to prop up his regime.

attachment.php

Flag of the Republic of Mozambique​

Last edited:
Looks like war between Imperials and Technocrats may be happening...

They plugged the Darien Gap! :eek:

And I think I said it before but I dig this multi-polar space race in the 80s.

So does that make Portugal Bowser? And Wilhelm III seems mixed. On the one hand, I don't like traditional family values, but scientific progress is always good.

Not surprise that in Mesopotamia is happening something.

But more intresting is how situation developes between IEF and China. If there is war between Technocratic Bloc and IEF and its allies it will be pretty ugly when there is nuclear weapons too. Probably there not be so much that it would cause MAD situation but it would has serious consequences.

Looks like war between Imperials and Technocrats may be happening...

They plugged the Darien Gap! :eek:

And I think I said it before but I dig this multi-polar space race in the 80s.

Not surprise that in Mesopotamia is happening something.

But more intresting is how situation developes between IEF and China. If there is war between Technocratic Bloc and IEF and its allies it will be pretty ugly when there is nuclear weapons too. Probably there not be so much that it would cause MAD situation but it would has serious consequences.

I too feel that things are going in that direction.

There is no way America would tolerate China attacking Russia. Of course, that might not phase the Chinese.

We will have to see what becomes of the tensions between the IEF and the Technocratic Union. Obviously, the IEF controls or exerts influence over territory that China has controlled in the past such as Manchuria, Mongolia, Tibet, Uyghurstan, etc. And yes, both have nuclear weapons.

So does that make Portugal Bowser? And Wilhelm III seems mixed. On the one hand, I don't like traditional family values, but scientific progress is always good.

It took me a minute to get the bowser reference. And yes, Wilhelm III likes space exploration and advances in computer science but is not as friendly towards homosexuals, transsexuals, and certain feminist groups.

When did the head of state of Germany become an Emperor? I thought the position title was "King".

If I remember correctly it was from beginning. Might be that original plan was Federal Kingdom of Germany but it became German Empire.

Yes, originally in writing this TL the post Great War German state was called the Federal Kingdom of Germany. That was retconned years ago for greater plausibility. Germany ITTL is officially the German Empire. The Emperors since its creation have been...

Frederick III (1910 - 1914)
Wilhelm II (1914 - 1941)
Frederick IV (1941 -1988)
Wilhelm III (1988-

It took me a minute to get the bowser reference. And yes, Wilhelm III likes space exploration and advances in computer science but is not as friendly towards homosexuals, transsexuals, and certain feminist groups.

Does that also include Climate Change? That is going to become relevant in a few years in this world.

Does that also include Climate Change? That is going to become relevant in a few years in this world.

Hard to say on climate change as that isn't really on the radar yet. He believes that it is happening but doesn't think that Germany should have to suffer unduly to try and fix it.

This picture from 1940 shows the future Emperor Wilhelm III on the right with his grandfather (Wilhelm II) and father (Fredrick III).

Three Monarchs.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, originally in writing this TL the post Great War German state was called the Federal Kingdom of Germany. That was retconned years ago for greater plausibility. Germany ITTL is officially the German Empire. The Emperors since its creation have been...

Frederick III (1910 - 1914)
Wilhelm II (1914 - 1941)
Frederick IV (1941 -1988)
Wilhelm III (1988-

Well, that makes a lot more sense. Are local monarchs (like the monarchy of Bavaria) still official?

I will be giving this TL a re-read soon. I remember the original ending, but to see so much past that - well, wow.

Great job, Mac Gregor, and serious points for building a timeline up to the present day then the understandable goal of a set endpoint. Also, the idea of multiple Lincolns in the White House is definitely fun, so I'll have to see how it is in practice here!

(I won't complain on a link to the when new posts post-'original ending' happen, though ;))