The Union Forever: A TL

I was really glad when I got to "rejected" in Halberd. Holy shit.

Anyway, is it really that steep a price to pay? From what I can see the only thing the UK and Portugal are losing are Macau and Hong Kong; everything else is coming from the supposed losers. I suppose they might count the loss of SE Asia in their sphere of influence as a price they pay.

Also,

methinks this means bio/chem weapons are indeed to follow.

It does remove all foreign influence from China proper. Both countries lose a base in China, which hurts Portugal a lot more than Britain. A friendly China that has the east and south buffered would look north and west toward Russia, which would push them farther into the Commonwealth's camp.

I do note Burma does not fall into China's influence, though.

This might wake Portugal up, though, and actually have them work harder at keeping their colonies. East Timor suddenly becomes that much more vital. I wonder if they'll manage to integrate the half of the island or their African colonies. No matter who wins in India, I think Portugal loses Goa.

Hrm. What would happen to Japanese Malay Peninsula if it is lost? Returned to Siam/added to Malaya/split along ethnic lines?

I mean what did they think China would ask for first from the UK and Portugal? I mean their recognized hegemony in East Asia is there to sweeten the pot since China has them by the balls, but of course they're going to want China Proper back.

Allow me to clarify. Hainan and Formosa are givens. Giving up Hong Kong and Macau no doubt hurts, although this is offset somewhat because both cities are heavily damaged by bombing. The "steep price" to pay is that the Cape Town Conference basically grants Chinese dominance over Southeast Asia and Korea. Remember that the world is still skeptical of China due to its Technocratic government.

Good that they decided that not use nuclear weapons. I am bit surprised that Commonwealth decided ask help of China nor United States. But probably USA join on some point to the war.

The USA will have to be attacked; what could the Commonwealth offer the US that would make the Americans want to go to war?

Nothing directly that I can tell. The US would love to topple Venezuela's government (at least I imagine as such) and cut Japan back so US Micronesia and the Philippines aren't as threatened. There's no Pacific cession that would be worth it on its own.

Although, they might jump in if bio/chems are used by either side, if only so the enemy (whichever one it may be) might be defeated quicker. The potential lives saved might be worth it. And even then, that would be a stretch for an untested president to pull off.

While the Commonwealth would like the USA/LAR to get into the war, there is nothing that they could offer them that would be worth it. Nor would the USA be interested in the kind of horse trading that brought China into the war. With that being said, the U.S. is a long time opponent of the Japanese and would like to see them fall. As will be discussed in the next update, Venezuela's invasion of British Guyana and Trinidad has sent shock waves throughout the LAR. Colombia for one, is clamoring for war.

80-95 weap--:eek::eek:

Damn! Glad Halberd got rejected; bio-weapons retaliation would be no picnic either! :(

Welp, the Technate's in, with its population and hopefully a decent tech / manufacturing base to get weapons production geared up. I wonder when they'll realize they're the Commonwealth's meat shield in the Asian theater?

And does the USA have anything like Lend-Lease going with the Commonwealth?

So far the USA has made some generous loans to Canada, New Zealand, and Australia to keep their war efforts afloat. The USA has also shared valuable intelligence about Japanese naval movements with the Commonwealth. The incoming Stewart administration is currently considering their options about possibly selling weapons or some older naval vessels.

While the Commonwealth would like the USA/LAR to get into the war, there is nothing that they could offer them that would be worth it. Nor would the USA be interested in the kind of horse trading that brought China into the war. With that being said, the U.S. is a long time opponent of the Japanese and would like to see them fall. As will be discussed in the next update, Venezuela's invasion of British Guyana and Trinidad has sent shock waves throughout the LAR. Colombia for one, is clamoring for war.

Had Trinidad (& Tobago) been given independence yet ITTL?

I wonder how the inhabitants of Guyana and Trinidad will feel about being occupied and it taking over a month for the UK to do anything about it. LAR membership might be looking pretty groovy now...

You have a point there. The Commonwealth is just so over taxed that it can't response immediately. But don't worry a response is coming.

Last edited:
Does this timeline have an equivalent to McDonald's yet?

The closest thing to McDonald's in the TL is Peppe's Famous Hamburgers. Other large fast food chains are Alice's BBQ, Big Burger, and Frank's Futers. There are still a good number of mom and pop restaurants in business. Almost all of the food would be recognizable to us but certain items like Cuban sandwiches and more common.

Asia-Pacific War: Battle of the South Pole
Hey everyone, I'm heading back to the great state of Georgia for a friend's wedding so no full update this weekend. Enjoy this small one. Cheers!

Battle of the South Pole

Prewar photograph of New Zealand's Antarctic Research Facility

One of the more unusual events of the war took place in early April on the conflict's most remote front. After the division of the frozen continent with the 1973 Antarctic Treaty, several of the twelve signatory nations hurriedly established research outposts near the South Pole to cement their claims. Cut off from resupply, Japan’s Antarctic station was told to sit and wait hoping that the war would be over in six months. By March, the Japanese were running dangerously low on food and fuel. Armed with assault rifles and a few rocket-propelled grenades, ten Japanese personnel stormed the neighboring New Zealand compound killing one of the researchers. Two days later a move to capture the British and Australian facilities was beaten back by small arms fire. A 42-day standoff occurred until a small detachment of British Special Forces from the 5th Royal Commando Regiment arrived and freed the hostages in a daring raid in the freezing cold of the antarctic night. While militarily insignificant, news of the operation proved to be a major morale boost for the Commonwealth.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I'm heading back to the great state of Georgia for a friend's wedding so no full update this weekend. Enjoy this small one. Cheers!
Have a great time!

One of the more unusual events of the war took place in early April on the conflict's most remote front. After the division of the frozen continent with the 1973 Antarctic Treaty, several of the twelve signatory nations hurriedly established research outposts near the South Pole to cement their claims. Cut off from resupply, Japan’s Antarctic station was told to sit and wait hoping that the war would be over in six months. By March, the Japanese were running dangerously low on food and fuel. Armed with assault rifles and a few rocket-propelled grenades, ten Japanese personnel stormed the neighboring New Zealand compound killing one of the researchers. Two days later a move to capture the British and Australian facilities was beaten back by small arms fire. A 42-day standoff occurred until a small detachment of British Special Forces from the 5th Royal Commando Regiment arrived and freed the hostages in a daring raid in the freezing cold of the artic night. While militarily insignificant, news of the operation proved to be a major morale boost for the Commonwealth.

Well, that's a nice chunk of Antarctica that probably won't belong to Japan anymore after the war is over, assuming the Commonwealth comes out on top.

Really, the Japanese probably could've just relied on British hospitality and knocked and let themselves in. I know it's NZ, but they're still British enough to likely be too polite to refuse them food and drink!

Nice little aside, MacGregor! Of course, is it wrong I find it kinda amusing, the notion of a combat mission amongst the penguins to relieve an Antarctic post? Apart from the little glimpse into British Special Forces as a unit, I even got a small flashback to "The Thing" for a second. Here's to having fun at the wedding, BTW!

Just one minor correction. That would be "the freezing cold of the antarctic night" not "arctic night"

Opposite ends of the earth, different hemispheres and all that.