The Union Forever: A TL

Does Portugal or Germany own Cabinda? I've seen it depicted different ways on a number of maps.

Also, Belgium probably has a tougher time holding onto the Congo than OTL, given the apparent lack of Katanga (which was by a large margin, the most profitable region of the Congo, and had the lowest population). The best-case solution for Belgium is probably to partition off South Kassai (the next wealthiest region), and retain a large degree of influence there. The remainder of the Congo should be split, roughly east-west, into two nations, so neither is strong enough to annex Belgium-supported South Kassai.

During the scramble for Africa Cabinda was origianlly claimed by Napoleon IV. After the great war Cabinda is given to Germany as part of German Cameroon.

Good points on the Congo.

What about a NATO-like multinational defense force that consists of essentially reserve units in each participating member state?

Oh, Belgium, just let it go. :p

As of 1970, the LAR uses only existing units from the member states that during war time would be put under a single commander for operational control.

As of 1970, the LAR uses only existing units from the member states that during war time would be put under a single commander for operational control.

Right, I'm proposing something like the NATO Response Force for the LAR, and asking if it would be allowed for Brazil to train a reserve force (not counting towards the 90,000) that can be deployed with it if necessary.

Ehhh, Delhi's got a lot of historic precedent in being India's capital city, with prominent cities being Calcutta, Bombay and Lahore TTL.despite Nagpur's location, Delhi is the 'heart' and is pretty centrally located. There's no real reason to move it.

Ehhh, Delhi's got a lot of historic precedent in being India's capital city, with prominent cities being Calcutta, Bombay and Lahore TTL.despite Nagpur's location, Delhi is the 'heart' and is pretty centrally located. There's no real reason to move it.

That is exactly what a majority of Indians said. The REP decided on Nagpur, after some difficulty, because building a new capital from scratch close to the southern Indian states and commonwealths in their minds increased their claim to that territory. It also doubles as a massive building project which the REP is fond of.

Right, I'm proposing something like the NATO Response Force for the LAR, and asking if it would be allowed for Brazil to train a reserve force (not counting towards the 90,000) that can be deployed with it if necessary.

Interesting idea. As of 1970 nobody is really proposing the creation of a unit like that. We will have to wait and see if anything develops. It would still be up to the Brazilian goverment whether it counts towards their 90,000 troop cap.

Interesting idea. As of 1970 nobody is really proposing the creation of a unit like that. We will have to wait and see if anything develops. It would still be up to the Brazilian goverment whether it counts towards their 90,000 troop cap.

If their military lobby is worth a damn, it won't.

• In February, a new constitution for Brazil was ratified. Drafted in the wake of the defeat of Geraldo Gaspar’s military backed government, the constitution effectively dismantled the Brazilian Army. The new Brazilian Defense Force was placed under heavy civilian control and consisted only of 90,000 men split between the land, air, and sea components. While most welcomed this as a prudent move, some policy makers believed that the neutering of the LAR’s second largest military could undermine the alliance’s ability to respond to future threats.

So Brazil has eliminated its military for the most part. Hmmm.

On one side that coup led to some pretty nasty violence in the past few years. On the other they might need a military to protect them from outside threats (as in Japan). But can't they count on American and other LAR countries' support? Yes, but doesn't this weaken the LAR's military as whole to lose such a large player?

As you can see, I am undecided about this recent development. I suppose we'll have to wait and see how it goes down.

1970: Domestic Developments

Domestic Developments

nuclear-test-1_1_.jpg

America's first nuclear weapons test

On April 17, the United States exploded its first atomic bomb at the Las Vegas testing site in northwestern Arizona, joining the German Empire as a nuclear power. While polls showed that most Americans agreed with their country developing nuclear weapons in response to the Germans, a vocal minority represented by groups like the Anti-Atomic Alliance and the Better World Society strictly opposed the development of nuclear weapons.

In May, the Pittsburg based band Steelpusher released their single “Firebolt” which quickly became one of the bestselling records of the 20th century. After a decade of the incessantly positive Futuro, American audiences were ready for something different. Known as grind music, the tremendous success of “Firebolt” popularized the new genre whose fast hard-edged sound and rebellious tone resonated with ‘70s America.

On 21 June, President Frank MacArthur was assassinated after leaving the Bienville House Hotel in New Orleans by gunman Clyde Irvine Bardsley. Bardsley was mortally wounded by a police officer, and died a few hours later. Almost immediately Bardsley’s motivation for the assassination became a great point of contention. The official investigation would determine, despite the lack of any hard evidence, that the unassuming Bardsley chose to kill the president in order to gain notoriety. Many however believed that Clyde Irvine Bardsley was acting on orders from someone else, and over the years no small number of conspiracy theories have been developed. Needless to say news of MacArthur’s assassination, only the second in American history, shocked the nation. Remembering “where you were when MacArthur was shot” became a generation defining moment. Upon, MacArthur’s death Vice President Sterling Gavin of Texas was sworn in as the 33rd President of the United States. At the state funeral, President Gavin praised MacArthur’s achievements over the past six years and vowed to continue his “hands on management” approach to governance.

In one of his first roles as president, Sterling Gavin presided over the rather somber opening ceremonies of the XIV Summer Olympiad in Los Angeles.

With a booming economy and lingering public sympathy over MacArthur’s death the Republicans won a landslide victory in the 1970 midterm elections capturing the House and increasing their majority in the Senate.
lrm2224.jpg

Sterling N. Gavin
Republican from Texas
33rd President of the United States​

Last edited:
Good that there is rising anti-nuclear weapon movements.

But it is quiet bad that MacArthur is shot. But for this might be big effect for popular culture. I guess that on 1990's or early 2000's someone makes popular movie about assassination and conspiracy theory. Anyway, who is Sterling Gavin's vice president or nominate he even that?

I'm not sure there's been a 25th amendment ITTL; if not, Gavin won't have a VP. The Senate would be chaired by its President pro tempore (the longest-serving senator from the majority party), who'd also become President in case he dies. If he runs for reelection his running mate would be VP (as happened with Johnson and Humphrey IOTL), but until then the office will be vacant.

Sad to see another American President killed, but it's great to see a rising anti-nuke crowd at the same time.

Now we must see who comes next to the nuclear game, Japan, Russia, England?

Will the US be sharing it's nuclear technology with the rest of the LAR or will they mostly be keeping it under wraps in order to keep the information from falling into the wrong hands, say the Japanese or the Indians?

I'm more interested in hearing about nuclear power generation. How's that looking?

Also, Grind = Metal? Is Steelpusher this TL's Iron Maiden? :D :cool:

Unfortunate for MacArthur. It will be interesting to see how Gavin will govern. He's inherited quite a mess (not necessarily MacArthur's fault). The next few years will likely test his mettle.

Good that there is rising anti-nuclear weapon movements.

But it is quiet bad that MacArthur is shot. But for this might be big effect for popular culture. I guess that on 1990's or early 2000's someone makes popular movie about assassination and conspiracy theory. Anyway, who is Sterling Gavin's vice president or nominate he even that?

I'm not sure there's been a 25th amendment ITTL; if not, Gavin won't have a VP. The Senate would be chaired by its President pro tempore (the longest-serving senator from the majority party), who'd also become President in case he dies. If he runs for reelection his running mate would be VP (as happened with Johnson and Humphrey IOTL), but until then the office will be vacant.

You are correct Ares96, the VP position will remain vacant for time being.

Sad to see another American President killed, but it's great to see a rising anti-nuke crowd at the same time.

Now we must see who comes next to the nuclear game, Japan, Russia, England?

Will the US be sharing it's nuclear technology with the rest of the LAR or will they mostly be keeping it under wraps in order to keep the information from falling into the wrong hands, say the Japanese or the Indians?

As of 1970, the U.S. is not sharing its nuclear technology with the LAR. However, the terms of the LAR mean that all the consitutent countries fall under the U.S. nuclear umbrella.

I'm more interested in hearing about nuclear power generation. How's that looking?

Also, Grind = Metal? Is Steelpusher this TL's Iron Maiden? :D :cool:

nuclear power generation is progressing, but as of 1970 a working powerplant has not been developed.

Grind is closer to punk rock than heavy metal but their are some similar elements.

Wow, nice update Mac! How many Presidents does this make that got shot by now? It seems either higher than OTL, or having taken place a bit later on in our history than OTL.

It's good to see that the US is at least at parity with the Germans in nuclear arms terms from a deterrence perspective (even without MAD, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that attacking a fellow atomic state is unwise). IIRC there should be some sort of treaty that arises as a result of more countries gaining "the bomb" in the '70s and '80s. I certainly hope nobody actually gets to using them anytime soon :eek:.

I'd forgotten how much "Futuro" (IIRC a sort of '60s "New Wave" equivalent?) had gained in popularity in the "shining '60s", which seems overall at odds with OTL 1960s in terms of the tone of the decade. Why do I get the feeling that the '70s will be a good deal darker than our version? And I figured that Grind would be closer to a cross between AC/DC and Motorhead, but I think punk could work as an analogue too.

Wow, nice update Mac! How many Presidents does this make that got shot by now? It seems either higher than OTL, or having taken place a bit later on in our history than OTL.

MacArthur is second assassinated presdent ITTL so there has been lesser presidential assassinations than in OTL.

Wasn't one of Connor's staff shot in an attempted assassination? Granted it was a failed attempt, so there is that. I guess I should re-read the past decade or so's worth of updates :eek:.