The Union Forever: A TL

Profile: Charles George Gordon
Charles George Gordon (1833-1910)

Born in London to a military family, Gordon joined the British Army in 1852. As an army officer Gordon first saw action during the Crimean War where he participated in the Siege of Sevastopol. In 1860, Gordon volunteered to serve in China during the Taiping Rebellion under Fredrick Townsend Ward’s “Ever Victorious Army.” Following China, Gordon was posted to a number of oversea assignments in India and Africa. Due to the growing tensions between the British and French Empires, in 1884 Gordon was tasked to take a small force from Mombasa and “travel to the headwaters of the Great Nile River laying claim to such territories as might benefit Her Majesty’s Government.” Over the next two and half years, Gordon pushed as far north as the city of Malakal on the banks of the White Nile. Already a household name in Britain for his exploits in China, Gordon’s African triumphs were celebrated by newspapers and dime novels around the world. In recognition of his services Queen Victoria knighted Gordon and appointed him as the first Governor-General of the Upper Nile Region. Gordon would remain as Governor-General until 1897 before returning to England. When Britain entered the Great War in February of 1909 the 76 year old Gordon offered his services to the War Office but was politely turned down due to his age. Undeterred Gordon made his way back to the Upper Nile Region where Governor-General Milton Sweet employed him with raising a force of local auxiliaries for the planned invasion of French Sudan. Over the next year “Gordon’s Army”, as it became known, scored an impressive series of small scale victories over the French and their local allies. On January 24, 1910 however Gordon was wounded in a skirmish near Sennar and died a few days later after fighting the subsequent infection. Per his instructions, Gordon was buried in Africa in the colonial capital of Juba. In the years following the war there was a grassroots movement in Britain to rename the Upper Nile Region in honor of Gordon, which was officially changed to the Colony of Gordonia in 1917 by an act of Parliament.

attachment.php

Last edited:
1967: Foreign Development

Foreign Developments

In February, the Dominion of South Africa held its first open general election. While previously blacks and other “coloured” groups could vote and run for office in certain provinces, 1967 marked the first time that full suffrage was extended to all adult citizens regardless of race. As expected Niles Mbete of the Liberal Federalist Party became the first black Prime Mister of South Africa despite a smattering of violence by white Afrikaner groups.

In March, newly installed President Geraldo Gaspar withdrew Brazil from the League of American Republics after the LAR refused to recognize his military backed government and demanded that deposed President Ronaldo Araugo be returned to power. Domestic opposition to Gaspar, known collectively as os constitucionalistas, grew throughout the year with violent protests gripping most of the major cities. In the jungle interior armed bands began exchanging fire with government forces leading many to fear that civil war would soon erupt.

On July 3, Italian President Costanzo Vincenzo and French President Valere Gardinier presided over the opening of the Mont Blanc tunnel.[1] At 11,615 meters, the road tunnel greatly eased transalpine travel between the two countries and stood as a monument to their strong bilateral ties.

In August, Terra Nova Publishing released The World on Edge the first of British author Dave Alfredson’s iconic spy novels. Centered on the dashing protagonist Peter Durkin, a British intelligence officer from Northern Ireland, The World on Edge dealt with the growing tensions between the world’s major powers and their various rivalries. The World on Edge quickly became an international bestseller and sparked Terra Nova to create a number of spy characters from other countries who would interact with each other in a shared universe.

On November 5, the German Empire detonated the world’s first atomic weapon in a remote section of northwest Cameroon ushering in the start of the Nuclear Age. Known as the Donar-Projekt, the German nuclear weapon program was the brainchild of brilliant physicist Eckehard Diefenbach. News of the creation of a nuclear weapon sent shock waves around the world. The United States and Russia, which already had nascent nuclear programs, began pouring in additional resources to catch up with the Germans. Within two months of Germany’s success the British Commonwealth, Japan, France, and Italy would all authorized their own nuclear weapons programs.[2]

Mushroom Cloud over German Cameroon
November 5, 1967
[1] Both men were reelected in 1966.
[2] Due to the Turin Pact, Italy and France have a joint nuclear weapons program.

[

Last edited:
I've been catching up on this timeline lately, reading up 1964 and 65, and it keeps getting better and better. :D:cool: Cool events include Tibet as a Russian puppet, democratic Kuwait, Technocracy parties, among others.

Not sure I commented on this earlier, but I love how the Space Race is going, and how you set up the different European power blocks. :cool:

A question, how is the war in Indonesia going for all parties involved?

- Clearly better South Africa. Now it might have changes to rise as local power on future.

- My name is Durkin, Peter Durkin. :D

- Surprisingly early nuclear weapon. Germans were fast.

Last edited:
Heres a map of the world in 1950. :cool: Let me know if I made any mistakes.

Edit: Mistakes fixed. :D

Edit: More mistakes fixed. :p

Edit: Fixed the Ecuadorian Mesopotamian borders. That should hopefully be the last of it. Fixed it also with the 1960 and 70 maps.

Edit: Fixed German Cameroon and Oman. Also Panama dose not become a state until 1951.

upload_2019-2-11_11-19-7.png

Last edited:
- Dakota has divided differently.
- French Polynesia for America.
- Hawaii was state on 1950.
- Sudan - Gordonia -border is direct line and bit more north.
- Southern border of Algeria is more northern.

Nice update, Mac! My thoughts;

-It seems race relations in South Africa are proceeding faster than expected; even with that Afrikaner violence you mentioned, at least it's not apartheid.

-I'd be very surprised if
os constitucionalistas don't end up receiving some sort of outside aid if the violence keeps up much longer.

-Sounds like Peter Durkin has quite the backdrop in which to ply his trade (a multi-lateral world of many powers, not just two superpowers). Does he use things like laser watches and super-cars too? :p

-Aw man, the Germans got to space AND blew the first nuke too? Boo:p. And now it looks like there's the possibility of a race to build more bombs by many more states..."Thor Project", indeed. Although something tells me that MAD won't really end up happening ITTL.

Heres a map of the world in 1950. :cool: Let me know if I made any mistakes.

- Dakota has divided differently.
- French Polynesia for America.
- Hawaii was state on 1950.
- Sudan - Gordonia -border is direct line and bit more north.
- Southern border of Algeria is more northern.

Good start Zoidberg. What Lalli said plus the border between Puntland and Somalia. The borders of French Africa also need to be changed. Don't worry about internal borders this map is meant to be simple so so it can show alliance structures ect. To make this map good for 1970...

1) South Africa, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada get their own color.
2) New border for Tibet and China.
3) Japan gets Hainan.
4) Oman is indepedent.
5) All the changes for India.

Better race relations in SA. Good. Without the apartheid, SA will likely remain within the Commonwealth as a British dominion...at least for the short term.

Things aren't looking good for the United States in South America. With Brazil on the verge of civil war, the US might have to intervene in order to prevent the entire continent from exploding. In the end, this ultimately benefits Japan, who can now begin to exert her influence in Asia.

The Turin Pact seems to have been a boon to France. Now an equal and ally with a former foe, France can begin to grow her influence again. How close the Turin Pact in terms of further military cooperation remains to be seen. The detonation of an atomic weapon by Germany will no doubt increase military ties between the two countries.

Nice to see a James Bond analogue. The tensions currently being felt throughout various blocs seem to encourage such a genre like the Cold War did IOTL.

And now we have the bomb. Germany, once again, gets there first. I could actually see the problem of nuclear proliferation being worse ITTL. Instead of two major blocs dominated by two superpower nations, you'll likely see several nations in different blocs scramble to construct their own nuclear devices. You'll have several blocs, not necessarily friendly toward each other, with a-bombs (and likely ICBMS before its all said and done).

And now we have the bomb. Germany, once again, gets there first. I could actually see the problem of nuclear proliferation being worse ITTL. Instead of two major blocs dominated by two superpower nations, you'll likely see several nations in different blocs scramble to construct their own nuclear devices. You'll have several blocs, not necessarily friendly toward each other, with a-bombs (and likely ICBMS before its all said and done).

True, but then again it's doubtful we'll see anywhere near the total number of devices constructed as OTL, since there's really no perceived need to rain catastrophic destruction on the other side as was the case in the Cold War. And with multiple stable powers (not all, as you say, on the same side), I have a feeling that there'd be a greater sense of restraint regarding nuke-slinging as a viable option, considering that a nuke's best use is to just sit there as a deterrent.

At any rate, it's been established that a nuclear weapons limit treaty is signed sometime in the '70s, so I doubt the proliferation issue would escape folks ITTL.