The Union Forever: A TL

Not to spoil things but yes Britain and Russia will be joining the space race shortly. Other nations, more than OTL, will also be developing their own programs.

Good question on what the Fascist like governments would be called ITTL. I haven't been able to think of a good name yet but would love to here suggestions. As of 1961, Japan is the closest to OTL fascism albeit with an antiwestern/colonialism bent. China is really more of a military led government than actual fascism.

Fascism is more than extreme nationalism and totalitarianism: it's a distinctive approach to economics and civic society in general. OTL Fascism (think Mussolini) drew from secular Syndicalism, while utilizing the language of Catholic syndicalism. Fascist/Corporatist economics seeks a middle ground between laissez-faire capitalism and Communism, seeking class collaboration instead of class neglect or conflict. If Japan can seek a policy as such, we could call her Fascist.

Fascism is more than extreme nationalism and totalitarianism: it's a distinctive approach to economics and civic society in general. OTL Fascism (think Mussolini) drew from secular Syndicalism, while utilizing the language of Catholic syndicalism. Fascist/Corporatist economics seeks a middle ground between laissez-faire capitalism and Communism, seeking class collaboration instead of class neglect or conflict. If Japan can seek a policy as such, we could call her Fascist.

Japan under the Kobushi Party does just that.

1961: Foreign Developments

Foreign Developments
On May 27, Venezuelan dictator Jacobo Chavarria died after nearly 12 years in office. Many had hoped that Chavarria’s death would lead to a thawing in the tense relations between Venezuela and the League of American Republics. However, after a brief struggle for power Chavarria’s deputy Vicente Saturnino was installed as Venezuela’s new leader. Much like his predecessor, Saturnino continued to use the nation’s growing oil revenues to fund massive infrastructure projects and expanding the military, as illustrated by an arms deal negotiated with Japan later that year.

In June, the tomb of Pharoh Tutankhamun was uncovered by a joint team of Egyptian and German archaeologists. Located in the Valley of the Kings, the find proved to be one of the best preserved Egyptian tombs ever discovered. The treasure trove of artifacts garnered worldwide attention and led to a resurgence of public interest in Ancient Egypt.

During the 1961 Italian elections, the Italian People’s Party lost control of the government, and the center right Democratic-Republicans were returned to power after 8 years in the political wilderness. Constanzo Vincenzo, the flamboyant former mayor of Rome, was elected President. During his inauguration speech Vincenzo called for strengthening the military, expanding oil production in Italian North Africa, and eliminating trade barriers with France.

On September 14, Commanders Katsuro Tanaka and Yuudai Mori of the Imperial Japanese Navy became the first men to descend to the bottom of the Marianas Trench the deepest spot on the ocean floor. Tanaka and Mori received a hero’s welcome upon their return to Japan for their triumph and symbolizing to the world the empire’s preeminence in submarine technology.

By the end of the year, the Comprehensive Charter of the Commonwealth (CCC) was finally ratified by the United Kingdom and all of the self-governing dominions. Public reaction to ratification varied widely from celebrations in Auckland to deadly riots in Dublin. Some conservative elements felt the charter gave away to much power from London while many anti-imperialists claimed it didn’t go far enough. Regardless, the charter marked an important turning point in the history of the British Empire.
attachment.php

Flag of the British Commonwealth​

Last edited:
Italy having another Berlusconi, perhaps? We shall see. :p

Tut found a little later? Interesting butterfly. In the age of television, this should be doubly interesting as the artifacts are displayed for the viewers at home.

You know, I've come to love this TL so much I scour the pre-1900 boards several times a day in hope of another update. :D

And Chavarria is almost like Chávez's right wing version. :D

MasterSanders said:
Tut found a little later? Interesting butterfly. In the age of television, this should be doubly interesting as the artifacts are displayed for the viewers at home.

Tutankhamon's tomb might even cause larger intresting for Ancient Egypt. And hopefully on 1960's archelogs are more careful with ancient artifacts than OTL Howard Carter was.

Have archeologs found next things in TTL:

Genghis Khan's tomb?

Tocharians?

Indus Culture?

And how history is viewed on movie industry? Do movie makers produce similar ephic historic movies as in OTL on 1950's and 1960's?

@Lalli, I thought that same thing about Chavarria. Great minds think alike. (0_o)

Now that I think about it Vincenzo is kinda like Berlusconi. :p

Great update as usual. King Tuts tomb in 1961 will obviously generate more interest in Ancient Eygpt that OTL, what with television and all. This may lead to a re-interest in the age of antiquity in general.

Interesting to see TTL's evolution of the British Empire to Commonwealth.

It saddens me that you'd have Tutankhamun's grave as the same catalyst of interest in Ancient Egypt that it was IOTL. IMO that guy is the single most overrated monarch in human history (and that's saying something coming from me).

It saddens me that you'd have Tutankhamun's grave as the same catalyst of interest in Ancient Egypt that it was IOTL. IMO that guy is the single most overrated monarch in human history (and that's saying something coming from me).

True that Tutankhamon is much more famous than him should be. But his tomb is one of rare tombs of pharaohs which have been stayed absolutely untouchable.

You know, I've come to love this TL so much I scour the pre-1900 boards several times a day in hope of another update. :D

@Lalli, I thought that same thing about Chavarria. Great minds think alike. (0_o)

Now that I think about it Vincenzo is kinda like Berlusconi. :p

Great update as usual. King Tuts tomb in 1961 will obviously generate more interest in Ancient Eygpt that OTL, what with television and all. This may lead to a re-interest in the age of antiquity in general.

Interesting to see TTL's evolution of the British Empire to Commonwealth.

Thanks for the support guys. I'm sorry but why does Vincenzo remind y'all of Berlusconi?

And Chavarria is almost like Chávez's right wing version. :D

Tutankhamon's tomb might even cause larger intresting for Ancient Egypt. And hopefully on 1960's archelogs are more careful with ancient artifacts than OTL Howard Carter was.

Have archeologs found next things in TTL:

Genghis Khan's tomb?

Tocharians?

Indus Culture?

And how history is viewed on movie industry? Do movie makers produce similar ephic historic movies as in OTL on 1950's and 1960's?

Genghis Khan's tomb has not been discovered as of 1961. As for the Tocharians and Indus Culture what in particular are you referring too? And yes epic history based movies are popular ITTL. I will try and include some more information in the next update.