The Union Forever: A TL

Good update. One question that I recently thought of: what is the the status of interracial relationships/marriage in this TL? What about the Gay rights movement?

Good update. One question that I recently thought of: what is the the status of interracial relationships/marriage in this TL? What about the Gay rights movement?

Interracial marriage is still illegal in many Southern states and is not common in most of the United States. The big exceptions being the Caribbean States and Pacific Territories. There has been virtually no movement on Gay rights in the TL. Open homosexuals are viewed very much outside the norm except for some small enclaves in a few major cities.

It has been a disastrous four months.

Anyone care to speculate on what China and Japan's next moves should be?

China is going to want to at least look like they're doing everything possible. Lots of propaganda, and probably reaching out to try to find allies. Conscription, if they aren't already doing it, and probably trying to fortify any probable invasion points, though I don't know if they have the industrialization to fight this. They've lost a lot of resources that would go a long way by losing Manchuria, Inner Mongolia, and the western areas. Japan has also forced them to split any defenses, as they can now build up in 3 distinct areas from which to attack. So China really needs its people to be in this war, as civil unrest could be even more disastrous.

Without allies, China has no hope of regaining anything they've lost, if Japan controls the waves and skies. Japan could probably rest easy if they simply consolidate what they have, avoid war crimes (to make it hard for international outcry to push for sanctions), and defend Hainan from revanchism. I can't see China being able to attack mainland Japan or Korea.

Interracial marriage is still illegal in many Southern states and is not common in most of the United States. The big exceptions being the Caribbean States and Pacific Territories.

I'm surprised that this has happened, since ITTL I'm assuming a more successful Reconstruction has taken place, no?

I'm surprised that this has happened, since ITTL I'm assuming a more successful Reconstruction has taken place, no?

Reconciliation, the TL's Reconstruction, did go considerable "better" than OTL in that there was significantly less violence, no KKK, and generally less lingering animosity between Southern whites and blacks. However, racial attitudes in 1954 are still very conservative in most of the South. Also with no WWII/Nazi analogue ITTL there is still considerable support in some segments of society for the ideas of race and racial purity.

It has been a disastrous four months.

Anyone care to speculate on what China and Japan's next moves should be?

Well, I could see Japan trying to invade the Chinese mainland; it's only a short distance across to the Leizhou Peninsula, after all, and since the Japanese seem to have both air and naval superiority, there'd be little resistance to the landing itself. I know very little about China's army strength at this point; if they have a strong presence on the coasts, Japan might want to use diversionary tactics to draw the Chinese away from the initial landings. The Leizhou landing could well be this, as it seems the obvious route to take, and could provide cover for a landing somewhere more valuable (I'm thinking Shandong and/or Shanghai).

As for China's next move, well, I can't see the Russians being too pleased with Japan trying to upset the balance of power in Asia. Depending on what the Japanese do next, we might well see them intervening, and that'd give the Chinese a springboard for invading Korea.

Quicker, but hardly more successful IMO. Much of the unrest in the South was avoided ITTL, and the southern states were readmitted as soon as their slaves were freed, but civil rights seem to have ended up largely the same as IOTL.

China is going to want to at least look like they're doing everything possible. Lots of propaganda, and probably reaching out to try to find allies. Conscription, if they aren't already doing it, and probably trying to fortify any probable invasion points, though I don't know if they have the industrialization to fight this. They've lost a lot of resources that would go a long way by losing Manchuria, Inner Mongolia, and the western areas. Japan has also forced them to split any defenses, as they can now build up in 3 distinct areas from which to attack. So China really needs its people to be in this war, as civil unrest could be even more disastrous.

Without allies, China has no hope of regaining anything they've lost, if Japan controls the waves and skies. Japan could probably rest easy if they simply consolidate what they have, avoid war crimes (to make it hard for international outcry to push for sanctions), and defend Hainan from revanchism. I can't see China being able to attack mainland Japan or Korea.

Well, I could see Japan trying to invade the Chinese mainland; it's only a short distance across to the Leizhou Peninsula, after all, and since the Japanese seem to have both air and naval superiority, there'd be little resistance to the landing itself. I know very little about China's army strength at this point; if they have a strong presence on the coasts, Japan might want to use diversionary tactics to draw the Chinese away from the initial landings. The Leizhou landing could well be this, as it seems the obvious route to take, and could provide cover for a landing somewhere more valuable (I'm thinking Shandong and/or Shanghai).

As for China's next move, well, I can't see the Russians being too pleased with Japan trying to upset the balance of power in Asia. Depending on what the Japanese do next, we might well see them intervening, and that'd give the Chinese a springboard for invading Korea.

Quicker, but hardly more successful IMO. Much of the unrest in the South was avoided ITTL, and the southern states were readmitted as soon as their slaves were freed, but civil rights seem to have ended up largely the same as IOTL.

Good points on China and Japan.

What do people want to see the next update on, India or more Sino-Japanese War?

1954: Foreign Developments Part 2

Foreign Developments

Part 2

attachment.php

Flag of the Kingdom of Kashmir and Jammu​
1954 proved to be a pivotal year for the war in India. Britain continued to make progress in establishing security along the peripheries of the Dominion of India while at the same time losing ground to the rebels in the Hindi speaking regions of the North Indian Plain. With the devolved governments of Burma, Madras, and Ceylon working relatively well the British authorities pursued their plan of transferring troops from the more sedated regions to actively pursue the guerrillas. Although not widely known at the time the British military withdrew virtually all of its soldiers from the usually contentious Northwest Frontier Province. While this did free up thousands of troops for use elsewhere the area soon fell to local Pashtun warlords. However, more cuts would need to be made in order to shore up the military situation. While British India contained hundreds of princely states only a few were selected to be recognized as sovereign nations. In May, the British Foreign Office established relations with the Kingdom of Kashmir and Jammu as an independent state followed by Sikkim the following month. In an even bolder move, Hyderabad, Travancore, and Mysore were all allowed to leave the Dominion of India by the end of the year. While the particulars of these new nations’ respective governments differed considerably they all contained a monarchy of sorts and, at least for the time being, remained closely allied to the United Kingdom on most economic and foreign policy matters. Reaction to the secession of these territories from the Dominion of India varied widely. Shivraj Yadav, who since the start of the war had risen to become the leader of the United Front for the Liberation of India, decried the act as the “sundering of India” a term used to great effect in UFLI propaganda. Even some members of Prime Minister Baxter’s Conservative Party opposed the policy with one Member of Parliament remarking “explain to me again why we are fighting a war to keep India British only to relinquish the largest of our princely states?” Liberals in parliament however supported the measures viewing them as a way for the United Kingdom to disengage from the subcontinent, a view point shared by many in the United States and the rest of Europe. Amongst Indians loyal to the crown support was mixed largely divided along geographical and ideological lines.

In June, the Kingdom of Portugal hosted the 10th Summer Olympic Games. King Fernando IV presided over the opening ceremonies in Lisbon. The 10th Olympiad would be the largest seen yet with the Sultanate of Morocco, the Khanate of Mongolia, and the Republics of Peru and Bolivia among the nations making their debut appearances. For the second consecutive Olympiad the German Empire remained the leading medal winner.
432px-Flag_of_Mysore.svg.png

Flag of the Kingdom of Mysore​

Last edited:
Interesting! I wouldn't mind seeing a map of that region of the world to see how it differs from OTL. :)

Indeed, I would really appreciate it if someone could add these new territories to this map.
Additions needed:
Commonwealth of Madras
Hyderabad
Kashmir and Jumma
Sikkim
Travancore
Mysore

India 1954.png

What does the exact situation in India look like? Who controls the Punjab and Sindh? Who do the Rajput princes support? Do the British still hold Bengal, and how far down the Ganges are the rebels?