The Union Forever: A TL

1952 Domestic Developments
Domestic Developments

attachment.php

On the evening of June 16, 1952 what become known as the Great New York Handball Riot, sometimes referred to as the Battle of East River Bridge, occurred when rival fans of the Manhattan Dexters fought the Brooklyn Sinisters. The immediate cause of the riot was a dubious call made by the game's referee that threw the game to Manhattan, although racial tensions undoubtedly had some role in the violent clash. Ultimately six people were killed and approximately fifty-seven were injured before the New York City Police Department could restore order. The American Handball Association (AHA) woud not allow the Manhattan Dexters and the Brooklyn Sinisters to play each other again until 1954.

In June of 1951, Coast to Coast a Sunday night variety show premiered on the Rockefeller Broadcasting Company (RBC). Hosted by Nicholas Young, Coast to Coast would over the years headline some of the nation’s most important and influential entertainers, musicians, and politicians. Nicholas Young would have the distinction of interviewing every American president and presidential candidate for the next quarter century. Coast to Coast would run for a record 26 seasons before going off the air in 1977 making it one of the longest running American television shows of the 20th Century.

At their party convention in Chicago, the Democrats nominated Wilber Gibbons, the senior senator from the State of Jefferson, as their candidate for president in the 1952 presidential election and the young up and coming governor of New York, Paul Francis Delano, as his running mate. In Philadelphia, the Republicans unanimously re-nominated President Conner and Vice President Vanderbilt for a second term. President Conner entered the 1952 campaign with several significant achievements under his belt including winning the South American War, the 1951 Civil Rights Act, and the creation of the League of American Republics. However, ongoing unrest over racial integration and a sluggish economy presented his wily opponents with plenty of opportunities to attack his policies. The Democrats tried to paint Conner as an out of touch idealist who was ignoring the views of the majority of Americans in order to pursue his own radical domestic and foreign agendas. Conner in turn claimed that his administration had done more to promote equality at home and peace abroad than any administration since Robert Todd Lincoln. In the end, President Conner was reelected by a substantial margin winning over 52% of the popular vote. The Democrats fared better then in 1948 but trailed at 46% of the popular vote. The pro-segregationist American Conservative Party, who had re-nominated governors Charles Hinnant and Joseph Gladson, embarrassingly carried only Mississippi and Alabama, the candidates’ home states. Republicans retained their control over both the House and Senate despite slight Democratic gains.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Nice update! I love having cameos in good timelines!
So if my analogue is the host of a show called Coast to Coast... does that make me Space Ghost?! :eek::cool:

The ACP are dicks. I'm glad to see the Civil Rights movement a little ahead of schedule... how successful/effective was this act?

Perhaps American Conservativre Party transfer during next decades as religious far right wing party like OTL Tea Party Movement.

Is this the handball I'm familiar with (and rather enjoy) or some TTL sport? If the former, I'm glad to see that someone outside the Nordic and Balkan countries knows of it (and that it seems more widespread ITTL). Either way, good update.

Nice update! I love having cameos in good timelines!
So if my analogue is the host of a show called Coast to Coast... does that make me Space Ghost?! :eek::cool:

The ACP are dicks. I'm glad to see the Civil Rights movement a little ahead of schedule... how successful/effective was this act?

Glad you liked your cameo. If anybody else would like their name to appear in the TL send me a pm.

The 1951 Civil Rights Act was pretty successful although it will take a several years before all the states fully implement it.

I think you made a typo in the last line of the first paragraph

you have Manhattan referred to as the Sinisters when it was the Dexters earlier in the paragraph

i started reading the timeline this morning at 7:15, it's 2:55 PM and i reached 1952. and yes, i was supposed to be working, thank you very much :D

i guess it's the first time i reply to a thread, but this timeline really deserves every word of appreciation it received through its existence

the plausibility of it all is amazing and the developments are both not too predictable and not too random

in the beginning i was sorry to see my beloved Robert E. Lee forced to surrender so early, but the butterflies this ACW created really eased my pain

and thank you very much for the early italian republic, i hope we are going to make a good use of a democratic system combined with all the oil we can eventually discover in our colony :D

i also loved the People of TUF updates and i would ask for some of them, since we're in 1952 all of them should be dead already (perhaps except Speer):

FDR of course
Benito Mussolini
Lev Trotskji (whatever)
Albert Speer
Pierre De Coubertin
Franz Kafka

once again, kudos mac, it is really an amazing piece of work. and the cooperation of other posters adds a great value to it

i also loved the People of TUF updates and i would ask for some of them, since we're in 1952 all of them should be dead already (perhaps except Speer):

FDR of course
Benito Mussolini
Lev Trotskji (whatever)
Albert Speer
Pierre De Coubertin
Franz Kafka

FDR: Not born in TTL.
Mussolini: Not bon in TTL.
Trotsky: Not born in TTL.
Speer: Not born in TTL.
De Coubertin: I am not sure is he exist there.
Kafka: Not born in TTL.

i started reading the timeline this morning at 7:15, it's 2:55 PM and i reached 1952. and yes, i was supposed to be working, thank you very much :D

i guess it's the first time i reply to a thread, but this timeline really deserves every word of appreciation it received through its existence

the plausibility of it all is amazing and the developments are both not too predictable and not too random

in the beginning i was sorry to see my beloved Robert E. Lee forced to surrender so early, but the butterflies this ACW created really eased my pain

and thank you very much for the early italian republic, i hope we are going to make a good use of a democratic system combined with all the oil we can eventually discover in our colony :D

FDR of course
Benito Mussolini
Lev Trotskji (whatever)
Albert Speer
Pierre De Coubertin
Franz Kafka

once again, kudos mac, it is really an amazing piece of work. and the cooperation of other posters adds a great value to it

silly me, i forgot the "born before POD" thing when i asked about them :eek:

JLR welcome to the board and thanks for your support. Pierre de Coubertin did exist ITTL. I will post an update on him soon.

1952: Foreign Developments

Foreign Developments

mw17772.jpg

Sir Ryan Baxter
Prime Minister of the United Kingdom​

During the 1952 United Kingdom General Election the Tories were swept back into power after spending nine years in the opposition. Within weeks of taking office Conservative Prime Minister Sir Ryan Baxter began a massive buildup of British military forces on the subcontinent in order, as he put it, “to ensure the safety of the subjects of the Dominion of India and the effective execution of the rule of law.” Unbeknownst to the public, Sir Ryan was already forming planes to dismantle the unmanageable Dominion of India into smaller more controllable territories. This became apparent when Burma,which had remained relatively quiet during war, was separated from in India in December of 1952 and given a measure of self-government under the title the Commonwealth of Burma.

On April 8th the first session of the League of American Republics was held in Panama City. As the LAR headquarters was just beginning construction the heads of state of the 14 nations met in the plush Grand Isthmus Hotel. Items on the agenda included further funds for reconstruction in Chile and Ecuador, a unified policy towards the dictatorial government of Jacobo Chavarria in Venezuela, and a common rifle caliber for better military integration.

While a severe recession gripped the country, Chinese President Zhu Jianying’s administration was rocked by a series of debilitating scandals involving senior cabinet ministers receiving bribes from a number of foreign companies in return for favorable trade deals. With Zhu’s government perceived to be hopelessly corrupt and incapable of handling China’s problems support for the militant Union of Chinese Patriots (UCP) surged. The UCP promised the desperate Chinese people a return to greatness and espoused irredentist claims against China’s neighbors. Such saber-rattling did little to calm nervous investors deepening China’s economic crisis and prompting some to predict national upheaval or even civil war if conditions did not improve.

In November Spanish author Leopoldo Marquez published De los Reyes y Hombres a satirical work on Spain’s deeply conservative Carlist monarchy. Spanish King Carlos IX was not amused however and had Marquez arrested on charges of sedition against the crown. The septuagenarian Marquez would die in prison three months later officially due to a heart attack. Many however suspected foul play, making Marquez into a martyr for anti-Carlist elements and sparking several weeks of deadly riots in Madrid and Barcelona. In the months following Marquez’s death De los Reyes y Hombres would become an international best seller and today is often listed as one of the most important literary works of the Twentieth Century.
French-riots-2.jpg

Aftermath of anti-Carlist riot in Madrid
October, 1952​

Last edited:
Interesting. Most of the Indian upper class and nobility will probably see the split up of the region positively, but the intellectuals and lower class seeing it as more British meddling in a place where they don't belong. So, a split in the Loyalists would be in the cards, yes?

On April 8th the first session of the League of American States was held in Panama City. As the LAS headquarters was just beginning construction the heads of state of the 14 nations met in the plush Grand Isthmus Hotel. Items on the agenda included further funds for reconstruction in Chile and Ecuador, a unified policy towards the dictatorial government of Jacobo Chavarria in Venezuela, and a common rifle caliber for better military integration.

Awesome. I love a more united Americas.

Keep up the good work!

Interesting. Most of the Indian upper class and nobility will probably see the split up of the region positively, but the intellectuals and lower class seeing it as more British meddling in a place where they don't belong. So, a split in the Loyalists would be in the cards, yes?

Well certainly the members of the UFLI view the separation of Burma from India proper as simply Britain’s attempt to divide and conquer. However, It didn't cause that much concern with the loyalist. In fact, it actually helps matters in Burma because they effectively gain self-government. It definitely emboldens those who want to see the princely states keep some of their autonomy.