The Twelve-Pointed Sun: A Ṣafavid TL Development Thread

By the time of the rise of the Safavid Empire, the Iranian Plateau's population had been decimated by the invasions of the Mongols in the 1200s and subsequently the invasion of the Uzbek conqueror, Timur, in the late 1300s. In the wake of Timur's destruction (and his descendants' subsequent inability to maintain a stable empire after his death), two tribal Turkomen confederations, known as the Qara Qoyunlu ("Black Sheep Turkomen") and subsequently the Aq Qoyunlu ("White Sheep Turkomen") established vast, decentralized empires in western Iran, eastern Anatolia, and Mesopotamia to support their grazing flocks. To their west lay the Ottoman Empire, which had recovered from their losses to the Timurids.

Before all this, at the height of the Mongol Empire, a man named Safi-ad-din Ardabili was born. An enigmatic man, he was nevertheless influential in the world of Islam, commandeering a local Kurdish Sufi mystic religious tariqa called the Zahediyeh, and renaming it the Safaviyya. Over time, Ardabili essentially transformed a local Kuridsh Sufi religious order into an entire religious movement that took modern-day northwest Iran (then known as Azerbaijan) and Shirvan (modern-day Azerbaijan) by storm. His descendants would gain the favor of Timur (who now allowed them to collect taxes), and, when the power of that man fell, the Qara and Aq Qoyunlu. Contrary to popular belief, he Safaviyya was once Sunni order, but when Khvajeh Ali Safavi, the grandson of Ardabili began amassing huge numbers of local Turkmen tribesmen into his tariqa, he sacrificed his religious beliefs for political power, converted to Shia, and thus gained a powerful new base of support: Later, these tribes would come to be known as the Qezelbas.

From this point on, things really began to accelerate for the Safaviyya. These Turkmen were recent converts to Islam (and also lived on the edge of the Islamic world), and, as such, wanted to be able to incorporate some of their old mystic pagan beliefs into their new religion. The Safaviyya proved to be the perfect vessel for this desire: They were Shia, they were permissive of many mystic beliefs as a Sufi Order, and were seeking political power. Under Shaykh Junayd, the Order became militant, a serious threat to the Aq Qoyunlu, who decided that enough was enough and exiled the Safaviyya from their territory. Junayd later returned and sought refuge with the Sunni Shirvanshahs. This resulted in his death. But before he died, Junayd allowed a very controversial belief into the Safaviyya, the concept of Ghulat, or ascribing divinity to certain figures in Islamic History--namely, himself. The starstruck Turkmen began to compare him to God.

It is worth noting that these Turkmen, and their fathers, were fierce survivors of Timur's invasions. They were traumatized. They wanted an explanation, a savior. They had just felt like they had gone through the apocalypse itself--twice, for any of them who remembered the stories of the original Mongol conquests. The Safaviyya provided them with their explanation. They were going to conquer in the name of divinity--their Allamah, the grandmaster of the Safavid Order. No longer would they be trampled underfoot, but would stand their ground and advance in the name of Shia.

Junayd's son, Shaykh Haydar, decided that being called God was alright. The movement he led became increasingly extremist, and became so permissive to the Turkmen (who now formed a majority of the Order) that he allowed ritual cannibalism. Paganism never truly left the Turkmen, as it turned out. The Qezelbas now began to come into direct conflict with the Aq Qoyunlu and the Shirvanshahs, and it was here that Haydar, like his father, was killed once again by the Shirvanshahs. This would weigh heavy on the mind of young Ismail I, the founder of the Safavid Empire.

Ismail had a bone to pick with his neighbors. They had killed his father, his brother, and his grandfather. When he acceded to the head of the Safavid Order, he declared himself the final Imam of Shia, the Mahdi, and began an aggressive campaign of expansion. The pent-up energy of the paganistic Qezelbas (with Shia flavoring) unleashed itself upon their Turkmen brothers, the Aq Qoyunlu and the Shirvanshahs. In a series of stunning victories (all in one year) he defeated all of his enemies (even despite being outnumbered four-to-one), and established an independent kingdom in Northwestern Iran, Azerbaijan, and eastern Georgia. His expansion into Iran was nothing short of magnificent. The Aq Qoyunlu crumbled before him. The Timurid emirates surrendered. The Uzbeks cowed. To all his followers, it really seemed that he was both a Shahanshah and the Mahdi. Then, he made the ultimate mistake--fighting a pitched battle with the vastly technologically superior foe in the form of the Ottoman Empire, at a place called Chaldiran in modern-day eastern Turkey.

The Ottomans had direct contact with European technology, and in order to siege the walls of Constantinople in 1453 had to develop superior cannon and artillery technology. They had a superior, organized army. They lived in a different world than the Safavids, who still wielded swords (even though the knowledge of gunpowder was available). And, much to my personal surprise, most Qezelbas warriors didn't wear armor into battle (much like the armies of another self-proclaimed Mahdi over 300 years later). But Ismail was so convinced of his own divinity that he didn't bother to heed the advice of his governors, who knew Ottoman tactics and pleaded with him to strike before the Ottomans were ready to fight.

Ismail did not discipline his troops very well before the battle. The Qezelbas had a drunken orgy literally the night before the battle, so most of them probably had a hangover while they were fighting against the Ottomans. Out in the mountains of the Caucasus, Alborz, and Khorasan, sheer religious zeal could get you far. But it was not quite enough against the Ottomans, who had cannons and maneuverable artillery. When Persian forces tried to go around the range of the cannons, they were simply swiveled and fired into their lines. When Persian horses charged, the noise of the artillery (which likely the poor things had never heard in their life), scared the wits out of them, and paralyzed the armies of Ismail.

Not only this, but this was two very different styles of warfare coming into contact. Ismail was strategically the son of the Mongol strategy--light, mobile calvary, able to shift back and forth over the battlefield rapidly wielding impressive curved swords, were once able to route even heavily armed, yet relatively stationary infantry. But that was in Timur's day. This was a new age. Gunpowder, and gunpowder weapons, took the world by storm. When the horses of the Iranians briefly retreated in preparation for another wave of attack, the Ottomans simply shot farther and killed more horses and men.

For a hot minute, it seemed like it was all over. Since the start of Ismail's conquests, nothing had stopped him or even slowed him down. Then, crippling defeat. As the Ottoman Sultan, Selim, took Tabriz, the Safavid capital, the Qezelbas wavered. Nevertheless, most stayed by Ismail's side, and he was able to regain most of his losses (except in Eastern Anatolia). Contrary to popular belief (which is closely shaped by Ottoman propaganda), Ismail was not a drunken, depressed man after the defeat. If anything, the loss had made him sober. Yes, he was less ambitious, but anyone would be after losing so fully. He quietly began to improve his loyal Qezelbas army with gunpowder weapons, and, by the end of his life, set the stage for his son, Tahmasp, to resist the greatest Ottoman Sultan--Suleiman the Magificent.

But, here I ask my pivotal question. Was there any way Ismail could have won against the Ottomans. Say he had followed the advice of his governor, Mohammad Khan Ustajlu, and attacked the Ottomans earlier. Could he have taken Selim by surprise and defeated him in Central Anatolia? Or, perhaps, going back farther, was there any chance he could have allied with the still-extant Mamluks of Egypt for a double-pronged attack? Most sources conclude that the result of the battle was inevitable. But I question this:

As for the preparation of the Ottomans themselves, they were not well prepared to fight at all. After a bloody succession struggle for the throne, Selim I drove his Janissaries to the limit over steep Eastern Anatolian terrain killing Shi'a and Turkmen wherever they could find them. He was never a popular leader. Ismail, in a policy that would become ubiquitous with the Safavids in later years, had employed a scorched-earth policy to deter the Ottomans while he was fighting the Uzbeks in the east, and this had made the Janissaries rebellious (in fact, they once even fired their guns at the Sultan's tent). When he returned, they were still advancing towards Eastern Anatolia and he could have struck even before they reached Chaldiran. Perhaps he could have ambushed them in a mountain pass, where their artillery would have been of little use.

What do you think? Could Ismail, with his highly motivated troops (hopefully not drunk like in OTL), have defeated the beleaguered Ottoman forces? Or was the outcome of two different styles of warfare always inevitable?

Last edited:
While I'd put my money on the Ottomans, I definitely think a Safavid victory was a possibility. This is the early 16th century, when it was perfectly possible for non-gunpowder armies to defeat gunpowder ones, even if it was becoming less likely. Keep in mind that Persian armies were relatively light on firearms into the 18th century, and the Hotaki Afghans were able to unseat the Safavids with very few firearms.

As far as I'm aware, the Ottoman field artillery was important at Chaldiran, but at this time field artillery was pretty cumbersome and had a short range. I think Ismail could overcome it with some luck.

This is actually a pretty fascinating POD. A contemporary ambassador from Venice noted that a victory of Ismail would leave him as a figure more powerful than Timur. I'm not sure whether this is realistic, but certainly he would gain increased support from the Turkoman tribes of Eastern Anatolia. The Ottomans would be very much on the back foot, and considering that this is before they conquered Syria and Egypt, it could seriously affect the future of the Islamic World. I suppose it would take someone more knowledgeable about the Safavids than me to guess what Ismail's next move would be.

If all goes well, you have two great Islamic powers in the region, the Ottomans (Their Classical Age being abruptly ended.) as an Aegean Sea power while the Safavids come to dominate the rest of the Middle East for the most part.

Maybe with an weaken Mamluk Sultanate sandwich between them before one, or the other conquers them.

While I'd put my money on the Ottomans, I definitely think a Safavid victory was a possibility. This is the early 16th century, when it was perfectly possible for non-gunpowder armies to defeat gunpowder ones, even if it was becoming less likely. Keep in mind that Persian armies were relatively light on firearms into the 18th century, and the Hotaki Afghans were able to unseat the Safavids with very few firearms.

As far as I'm aware, the Ottoman field artillery was important at Chaldiran, but at this time field artillery was pretty cumbersome and had a short range. I think Ismail could overcome it with some luck.

This is actually a pretty fascinating POD. A contemporary ambassador from Venice noted that a victory of Ismail would leave him as a figure more powerful than Timur. I'm not sure whether this is realistic, but certainly he would gain increased support from the Turkoman tribes of Eastern Anatolia. The Ottomans would be very much on the back foot, and considering that this is before they conquered Syria and Egypt, it could seriously affect the future of the Islamic World. I suppose it would take someone more knowledgeable about the Safavids than me to guess what Ismail's next move would be.

To tell the truth, I am fascinated by the Safavids, especially their origin story, which is proof in my mind that Iran has always been a multicultural, multi-ethnic effort as a nation, never limited to just ethnic Persians. I would love to make a TL where they feature more prominently as a power in the Middle East, not reduced to the secondhand status they were, always living (at least to the eyes of Europeans) under the shadow of the Ottoman Empire. However, to tell the truth, I need to do a lot more research on the Safavids and their society before I start the TL. And I actually know very little about the Ottoman Empire or the Mamluks...and even less about the Uzbeks either. The point is, I just need to do a lot of research before I can even begin to write.

But, in my limited knowledge, my next guess as to what Ismail would do next is this:

...​

The Leadup to Ankara.

Eastern Anatolia was already a hazy zone of control for the Ottomans. They were just starting to expand in that area by the time Ismail rolled around with his huge, wild Turkman army. Ismail's ancestor, Safi-ad-din Ardabili, had started to spread propaganda about Safaviyya all over the world, and this continued with his successors (in fact, the tariqa's propaganda had traveled as far as Sri Lanka). The local Kurdish tribes that inhabited most of modern-day Southeast Turkey, like the Turkmen, were entranced by the millenarian promises of the Safaviyya. Traditional Sunni Islam had been satisfactory when times were good, but the Caliphates were finished--the Islamic Golden Age was over. Without a guide in the form of a Caliph, the Kurds drifted towards their ancient pagan roots (mixed in with a bit of Islamic flavoring) in the form of the very tolerant Safaviyya.

Ismail's victory at Chaldiran was the final proof to these Kurdish tribes that Ismail was indeed the Mahdi, the final Imam. In OTL, the Kurdish tribes only abandoned Ismail because of his loss. Now, they would join his army en masse.

As for Selim I, now defeated without any major successes (in OTL, he was to defeat Ismail at Chaldiran and conquer the Mamluk Sultanate), if he wasn't captured at the battle (like Ismail almost was in OTL), would have been deep in enemy territory with few men. If he escaped the battlefield, local Kurds would have probably captured him and handed him off to Ismail. This would likely result in a very prideful Ismail and a very dead Selim. The Ottoman Empire, which had just gone through a bloody succession crisis to even get Selim on the throne, descended into panic. Even if they could put a new Sultan on the throne in a reasonable span of time, the Safavid threat would still be very real.

It is likely that this new Sultan would be a young man by the name of Suleiman, only 20 years old at the time. The year was 1514. Suleiman, even at such a young age, is likely to have been a charismatic and able leader. Nevertheless, his early goals of defeating the Knights of Rhodes and pushing the border of the Ottoman Empire north into Hungary would have to be delayed to deal with the Safavid threat. Despite his father's untimely death, I don't doubt he would remain determined to bring peace to his empire. The sheer amount of Janissaries lost by Selim at Chaldiran would have put a damper of Suleiman's ambitions, but he would be able to quickly round up another army of 100,000 to oppose Ismail.

Ismail would be very confident after the battle, perhaps to the point of overconfidence (I mean, he was already overconfident even before the Battle of Chaldiran). Though few of his men would have known how to use the artillery he had captured from the Ottomans, he would have taken it along anyways, perhaps getting some of his Janissary captives to show his troops how to operate the cannons. The actual arquebuses he would have little use for, as the Qezelbas were not skilled with firearms (the Caucasus, after all, was a technological backwater at the time).

Hearing of the accession of a new, young Sultan, Ismail decided that now was the perfect time to break the power of the Ottomans. Breaking camp from Van, he would have traveled the same routes as the Ottomans had come to attack him. He now began to style himself as a successor to Timur (Tamerlane to Europeans) in preparation for the upcoming battle. Timur was well known to have captured Sultan Bayezid I at the Battle of Ankara. With this new piece of propaganda, Ismail hoped to achieve the impression that his campaign was to be as victorious over the Ottomans as Timur was.

At this point, the Venetians, frequent traders with the Ottomans, started to take notice of the general anxiety building up in the capital, Istanbul. Everyone knew what had happened the last time a conqueror came from the East. Whatever came next, it would determine the fate of the Ottoman Empire, for surely if Ismail won this confrontation he would soon approach the gates of Constantinople itself. There was general hope among Europeans (still fresh from the sting of 1453) that the Ottomans would fall to the swords of the Qezelbas.

To say Ismail's troops were motivated would be an understatement. Ismail compared them to the first generation of Muhammad's soldiers, "Lions of Islam." They threw themselves into religious frenzies every night, worshipping allah and Ismail as the man to end this present age (and to begin the new one). Every day was spent advancing, and every night whirling and chanting the name of allah as if they were around the Ka'aba in Mecca. They spent the night before the battle doing this, intimidating the Ottomans.

The Second Battle of Ankara, October 24th, 1514.

Finally, on a chilly October morning, the two armies faced each other on the plains near the city of Ankara. Suleiman, who had arrived first, chose the site with purpose--here, he was to finally avenge the capture of Bayezid in 1402. It was also a strategic midpoint in Central Anatolia. If either man won the day, he could choose to pursue the looser back all the way to his respective capital, either Istanbul or Tabriz. It was risky, but Suleiman felt like he had the advantage. Qezelbas or not, Suleiman had the Janissaries, who had known few losses and even less fear.

Ismail had captured several tons of artillery from the Ottomans at Chaldiran. In his march towards Ankara, he had used this artillery to threaten several towns and small cities into submission (which conveniently included a siege gun in case Sultan Selim wanted to siege Tabriz). Ismail, taught by captured Ottomans soldiers on how to use the cannons, was fascinated by them. In the future, he told himself, he would investigate the smaller cousins of these gunpowder weapons, the Arqebuses (he had brought a few of them along with him as a curiosity, and had forced the Janissaries to try to teach his personal bodyguards how to use them). Besides artillery, Ismail had about 85,000 men to Suleiman's 100,000. He had faced greater odds before, at the Battle of Sharur versus the Aq Qoyunlu in 1501, and recently at Chaldiran, when he had only had 60,000 men (many dissaffected Kurds and Shi'a Turks had since joined him). Now, 13 years later, he was more convinced of his own divinity than ever.

To take a look back on Ismail's career: he had been the most successful general in the Middle East since Timur, winning every single battle he was present in. It had taken him only a decade to conquer all of Iran. It took thrice that long for the armies of Islam to do that when the Sasanian Empire was destroyed in 651. He was also incredibly young--in 1514, only 27. Here they stood, two young men commanding vast empires--Suleiman and Ismail, each a battle away from greatness.

The two men had exchanged letters filled with vitriol. Suleiman swore he would crown the top of every tree in his empire with a crown-wearing Shia. Ismail mocked Suleiman, calling him a "little boy," and inviting his empire to join the bounty of Shia. Suleiman could not deny that Ismail had momentum on his side: large portions of the country now wavered, expecting the Ottomans to be defeated. With most of the Janissary corps annihilated at Chaldiran, Suleiman was now forced to rely on relatively few of them: At the Second Battle of Ankara, Suleiman could not have had more than 40,000 Janissaries, some of whom this was their first battle. Meanwhile, Ismail had at least 50,000 elite Qezelbas, all veterans of his campaigns in the Caucasus and Iran. Hardened by 13 years of constant warfare, these men were nevertheless whipped into a crazed frenzy by the time the battle started.

Ismail sent his less well-trained Kurdish calvary out towards the Ottomans' flanks. He knew they would be torn to shreds by the Ottoman cannons (as was his experience at Chaldiran), so he used them as a human shield behind which the elite Qezelbas could travel safely. Meanwhile, his captured artillery blazed away at the Ottoman center, attempting to soften it up for an attack. About half of the Qezelbas calvary was kept in reserve for this purpose.

Suleiman had anticipated a flanking maneuver, and had positioned the Janissaries to absorb the brunt of the blow. The few Kurdish troops that made it to the Ottoman flanks fought mightily, but were quickly dispatched by the Janissaries, themselves now thoroughly fired up for battle. Then, unexpectedly, as the last Kurds were being slaughtered, the Qezelbas slammed into both right and left flanks of the Ottoman Army. The sheer impact of Calvary crashing into infantry nearly broke the order of the flanks, but the Jannissaries held firm, fighting ferociously in close-quarters combat. By now, Safavid infantry had arrived at the flanks as well, mostly composed of the previously mentioned dissaffected Shia Turks.

Because most of the Janissaries were engaged on the flanks, the main body of about 60,000 stood in the center. These were local troops from western Anatolia, not as skilled as the Janissaries--farmers sons, blacksmiths, peasants. They had been summoned by Suleiman extremely quickly. As Safavid cannon after Safavid cannon focused on their center, some began to quake. Then, Suleiman, knowing that the tide of the battle was about to be determined, sprung out on his horse, leading his Janissary bodyguard and the local troops towards the Safavids with incredible bravery.

The Janissaries numbered only about 20,000 in each flank. One by one, they fell to Qu'ran-reciting Qezelbas, even though the Safavid losses were horrific. It was remarked after the battle by a Venetian one could not find a single dead Janissary for all the Qezelbas bodies covering them. The right flank of the Janissaries was the first to fall, and the remaining Qezelbas, seeing that the main Ottoman forces were now charging without taking notice of them, tried to catch up and attack from behind.

Suleiman, believing in the strength of his Janissaries, had left them to their fate. As he charged towards the lines of the Safavids, Qezelbas archers rained arrows on his men, and Safavid artillery continued to leave massive gaps in the Ottoman line. Ismail gave the signal, and 30,000 Qezelbas calvary simultaneously thundered towards the Ottomans, yelling allah! and Mahdi! and once again praying Qu'ran verses.

When the dust cleared from the initial impact, the Qezelbas held firm. Despite being vastly outnumbered, they were holding their ground. Even with the artillery help, the Safavids remained at a considerable numerical disadvantage. Ismail, searching for Suleiman with the best of his arquebus-trained men, fought through the fray at the head of his troops. Privately, Ismail thought he had lost. He didn't know that his Qezelbas assigned to the right flank had broken through the Janissaries, but he did know that, even with the admirable way his men were fighting, they would lose because of sheer numbers.

Then, suddenly, he spotted Suleiman, guarded by his elite Janissaries. Ismail ordered his arquebusers to fire at the Sultan, and, though no bullets hit him, Suleiman's horse was slain. In the ensuing confusion, it appeared that Suleiman himself was dead, and Ottoman troops wavered. However, Suleiman, in a heroic moment, mounted one of the Janissary horses and rode up and down the battlefield, showing the troops he was still very much alive (much like William the Conqueror at Hastings).

The sense of Ottoman hope was palpable. Their soldiers pushed. At that very moment, the Qezelbas center broke. Ismail knew that it was over--the Mahdi, the 12th Imam, his Empire. He had fought over a decade to secure his legacy as the greatest Persian ruler since Khosrow II. And now, he would be forced to wear an Ottoman yoke, be taken before the Sultan, and executed.

Some men in this world live their lives with small dreams. Not Ismail. He had lived every second of his life to the fullest. Teacher, Mahdi, Shah, conqueror, savior. He struck another Ottoman down. Everything vanished before him. Tunnel vision. Ears ringing. The darkness closed around him...

Then, when defeat seemed inevitable, the remnants of the right-flank Qezelbas crashed into the rear of the Ottoman center, and Suleiman was forced to confront this threat, allowing the Safavid center to regroup around Ismail (who was doubtless confused about why Suleiman was running away). What the Safavid Shah had intended from the beginning had come to pass--a frontal-behind pincer movement. The Ottomans, exhausted from battle, and now forced to split to fight both sides of the pincer, were encircled. What was once nearly an Ottoman victory turned into a slaughter. Finally, as the last Ottoman soldiers and loyal Janissaries surrounded their Sultan, Ismail called off the attack and asked for Suleiman's surrender. Suleiman bravely refused, and the hopeless fighting continued to the bitter end.

Thus, Suleiman was captured, just like his ancestor, Bayezid. He was young and impulsive. In OTL, he was known for his wisdom, and doubtless he was wise even when he was 20. The Safavids just had luck, or, as they would term it allah on their side. Regardless, all Suleiman would be remembered for now was faliure, just as Ismail had promised him in letter form.

Ismail, who was just glad to have won the battle, took pity on the Sultan. He barely even had facial hair, like him when he was younger. He smiled. He told Suleiman that god was generous and merciful, and thus that the Mahdi would grant him mercy should he convert to Shia Islam and join him. After all, there was an entire, heretical Sunni world out there, just waiting for the words of the Mahdi to be spoken unto them, for light and truth to be seen by the world. Suleiman spat. Ismail was prepared to spare his life regardless, as he needed him for propaganda purposes. Suleiman was taken into captivity. However, this would not be the last the world would see of the former Sultan.

The World's Reaction, Aftermath, and the Peace of Diyarbakir

As soon as the catharsis of capturing and humiliating Suleiman was over, Ismail came to a realization--he had won the battle, but at an enormous cost. Out of 85,000 men, he had, perhaps, 35,000 left. He wept for the fallen, telling the surviving Qezelbas that their comrades were now enjoying the rivers of wine in honey in paradise, for they believed in allah. During the battle, some of his best commanders had been slain. Yet, there was no Ottoman force large enough to resist him between here and Istanbul. If he could just get his hands on more troops, he might have been able to force that city to bend the knee.

His much reduced force marched into Ankara in triumph, and quickly set about looting whatever they could find. Among the most valuable resources, however, were the artisans, craftsmen, and, strangely enough, European traders they found. They took them all back with them towards Tabriz.

But the fact remained--he had very few troops. His Kurdish allies were decimated, and their survivors left with PTSD for the rest of their lives. The Qezelbas had a wild night of partying and mourning, almost bipolar in their emotions--one moment laughing drunkenly and singing old Turkmen songs, the next weeping for poor Soltanguly, who got a bullet in the eye, or unfortunate Rejep, whose last moments were spent awkwardly flopping on the ground without any legs. Much was gained, much was lost for Ismail.

But no one fully knew the true scale of Safavid losses yet. The only thing they knew was that the Ottomans had lost, and badly. The Venetians panicked--if the Ottoman Empire collapsed, they would have to work out new trade deals with a new empire--likely, Safavid Persia. In Rome, Leo X, though distracted by other matters, sent a rather rude letter to the "Prince of Persia, Ishmael" demanding that he set Constantinople free and give it back to Christendom. Common European perception at the time was that God was punishing the Ottoman Empire for occupying Constantinople (ironically, Christian Europeans had done this themselves in 1204).

The Mamluk Sultanate warmly congratulated Ismail. They knew it was only a matter of time, after Ankara, before their day of reckoning came too, but nevertheless they tried to position themselves as an ally. Ismail, however, was not convinced, bitterly noting later in his autobiography that the Mamluks could have converted to Shia and helped him defeat the Ottomans. The Uzbeks shook their heads in dismay They knew that while Ismail remained alive (and he was still relatively young at this point), they would stand little chance against him.

When the news arrived in Istanbul, wails of mourning could be heard everywhere in the city during morning prayers. It was chaos. The officials of the empire struggled to find anyone to put on the throne--Selim I's only male child, Suleiman, was presumed dead. Selim's father, Bayezid II, had other children, but they had been killed by Selim in one of the many Ottoman succession struggles. The only man left of the House of Osman was a 2-year old, Üveys, an illegitimate son of Selim I. In a hasty ceremony, the toddler was made Sultan of the Ottoman Empire and girded with the Sword of Osman (somehow). Piri Mehmed Pasha, a man who was in charge of the food supply route for Selim I at Chaldiran, but had escaped association with that disaster, assassinated his way into becoming both Grand Vizier and regent. Both he and the Ottoman Empire were now in a very weak position. Nevertheless, he was a capable administrator who knew logistics well. He began preparations for a Safavid siege of Istanbul.

But this attack never came. While the new Sultan was being crowned, Ismail arrived in Tabriz. The celebration was glorious, but at the same time, reduced. With only 35,000 men, slightly more than half of what had left the city, it was glaringly obvious to the populace that the victory came at a heavy cost. Finally, after naming himself Shah in 1501, after 13 years, Ismail was crowned Shahanshah, "King of Kings," an ancient--and great--Iranian title. He felt like he deserved it (as did his troops) after his victory and capture of Suleiman.

It was an easy day for the Shah's propogandists--Successor of Cyrus, Khosrow, Muhammad, 'Ali; King of Kings, Lord of the Iranians, Kayanid--all these names and more were engraved upon the rocks and cliffsides of Iran to commemorate Ismail and his signature victory. In Iran, the battle was portrayed as one without contest, for who could equal Ismail, the Mahdi, who had brought peace, freedom, and security to his new empire? Favoured by allah, 'Ali, Muhammad, as well as his ancestors, Shayk Junayd and Shakh Haydar, Ismail, for the moment, was the most powerful man in the world. In one enormously prideful piece of propaganda, 'Ali and Muhammad hand a Qu'ran (symbolizing religious authority), and a sword (symbolizing worldly authority) to Ismail. In another, the other 11 Imams pay homage to the final, and 12th Imam--Ismail. The Shah, to spread his fame to the rest of Iran (and the world), gave out copious amounts of gold and dirhams to his subjects in reference to Muhammad's injunction to give alms to the poor. Notably, most coins from this period have the words: "There is no god but god, and Muhammad is his prophet" on one side, and on the other "Mahdi and the Shah of Ērānšahr, Ismail" He talked of travelling to Mecca (then under Mamluk suzerainty). He talked of conquering Constantinople, then Rome, and then who knows where. One moment he allah's grace and peace, the next he was his sword and wrath.

The Ottoman Empire, with two of it's armies destroyed, and it's Janissary corps decimated by two successive defeats, struggled to figure out a course of action. Technically, the war was still running. At any moment, a Persian army could be marching towards the Bosporus. And, the simple truth was that most of the governors in central and eastern Anatolia had switched their allegiance (and tax revenue) towards Ismail. Broke, weak, and stupefied by the sudden loss of invincibility they had grown accustomed to after the capture of Istanbul, the Ottomans signed a peace with Ismail's governor of Diyarbakir, Mohammad Khan Ustajlu, in January 31, 1515. This peace gave them precious little territory along the Aegean Coast. Peri Mehmed Pasha hated the terms, but had little choice given his position. As to how well Ismail could actually maintain control over central Anatolia is a matter for another time. Now, at least officially, he had gotten everything he wanted. This peace is known as the Peace of Diyarbakir.

1659390425007.png

Safavid Empire after the Peace of Diyarbakir, 1515*. Note that not all lands in central Anatolia or Georgia were fully controlled.
*I didn't create this map. It was created by Reddit User Stuffed_Annan in 2019.

The Future?

What lay in the future for this great and now sprawling Empire? Was it to be a one-hit wonder in the same way that Timur's state was? Or, was it to shape the future of Islamic identity, putting Shia, always the underdog, onto the center stage of the religion? Was it to create a long, and truly lasting Persian Empire, respected by Europeans, feared by it's neighbors, and "beloved by allah, Muhammad, and 'Ali" (this was to become the motto of the Shah in later years). For now, no one could tell. The world had been taught a lesson in impermanence of empire by the defeat of the Ottomans.

Ismail had once sat in the wilds of eastern Turkey, staring out over those mountains. Somewhere in the back of his mind, all those years ago, he told himself that that mountain, and that one, and that one--would be his. And now they were. Yet, he was still only 28. Today was July 17, and it was his birthday. As he stared at the sun rising over the mountains in Tabriz, he mentally girded himself for yet another hard, long, and brutal campaign. Ankara was not the end of his legacy. He would equal Alexander--no, surpass him. He would take his army to the ends of the earth, bringing Safiviyya to all who were wise. After all, wasn't he the Mahdi, meant to end--and begin--all things new?

And, news came to him from inside his Harem that his legacy would be continued by another: A healthy son was born to him. After a few minutes of thinking, Ismail named him "Tahmasp," meaning "horse of great strength."

As Suleiman sat stiffly inside his prison cell, he thought of his life in Constantinople. He, too, had girded himself for battle with the Sword of Osman. He, too had once dreamed of bringing his empire to the end of the world. Perhaps, he thought to himself, in a different life, he could have been greater. In his sleep that night, Suleiman dreamed a dream. He conquered Egypt. Hungary. Vienna, even. But that was just a dream, a wisp. After all, what was the point of conjecturing?

- Tahmasp

Last edited:
To tell the truth, I am fascinated by the Safavids, especially their origin story, which is proof in my mind that Iran has always been a multicultural, multi-ethnic effort as a nation, never limited to just ethnic Persians. I would love to make a TL where they feature more prominently as a power in the Middle East, not reduced to the secondhand status they were, always living (at least to the eyes of Europeans) under the shadow of the Ottoman Empire. However, to tell the truth, I need to do a lot more research on the Safavids and their society before I start the TL. And I actually know very little about the Ottoman Empire or the Mamluks...and even less about the Uzbeks either. The point is, I just need to do a lot of research before I can even begin to write.

But, in my limited knowledge, my next guess as to what Ismail would do next is this:

The Ottoman Empire, with two of it's armies destroyed, and it's Janissary corps decimated by two successive defeats, struggled to figure out a course of action. Technically, the war was still running. At any moment, a Persian army could be marching towards the Bosporus. And, the simple truth was that most of the governors in central and eastern Anatolia had switched their allegiance (and tax revenue) towards Ismail. Broke, weak, and stupefied by the sudden loss of invincibility theyhad grown accustomed to after the capture of Istanbul, the Ottomans signed a peace with Ismail's governor of Diyarbakir, Mohammad Khan Ustajlu, in January 31, 1515. This peace gave them precious little territory along the Aegean Coast. Peri Mehmed Pasha hated the terms, but had little choice given his position. As to how well Ismail could actually maintain control over central Anatolia is a matter for another time. Now, at least officially, he had gotten everything he wanted. This peace is known as the Peace of Diyarbakir.

View attachment 763274
Safavid Empire after the Peace of Diyarbakir, 1515*. Note that not all lands in central Anatolia or Georgia were fully controlled.
*I didn't create this map, I just found it online (I couldn't figure out who created it).

The Future?

What lay in the future for this great and now sprawling Empire? Was it to be a one-hit wonder in the same way that Timur's state was? Or, was it to shape the future of Islamic identity, putting Shia, always the underdog, onto the center stage of the religion? Was it to create a long, and truly lasting Persian Empire, respected by Europeans, feared by it's neighbors, and "beloved by allah, Muhammad, and 'Ali" (this was to become the motto of the Shah in later years). For now, no one could tell. The world had been taught a lesson in impermanence of empire by the defeat of the Ottomans.

Ismail had once sat in the wilds of eastern Turkey, staring out over those mountains. Somewhere in the back of his mind, all those years ago, he told himself that that mountain, and that one, and that one--would be his. And now they were. Yet, he was still only 28. Today was July 17, and it was his birthday. As he stared at the sun rising over the mountains in Tabriz, he mentally girded himself for yet another hard, long, and brutal campaign. Ankara was not the end of his legacy. He would equal Alexander--no, surpass him. He would take his army to the ends of the earth, bringing Safiviyya to all who were wise. After all, wasn't he the Mahdi, meant to end--and begin--all things new?

As Suleiman sat stiffly inside his prison cell, he thought of his life in Constantinople. He, too, had girded himself for battle with the Sword of Osman. He, too had once dreamed of bringing his empire to the end of the world. Perhaps, he thought to himself, in a different life, he could have been greater. In his sleep that night, Suleiman dreamed a dream. He conquered Egypt. Hungary. Vienna, even. But that was just a dream, a wisp. After all, what was the point of conjecturing?

- Tahmasp

Gods damn. The Ottomans been torn an new one and the Persians are riding high after such an massive victory losses aside.

The only saving gave for the Turks is the fact the Ottoman center of gravity is the Balkans, not Anatolia in this point of them, but it a small one given the nature of their defeat and the 800 pound gorilla that is Safavid Iran that just ruined them.

You see a Full Shia Moon hang over the Middle East.

Wow, really appreciating how much information we are getting on the Safavids from you. Thank you OP!

But no one fully knew the true scale of Safavid losses yet. The only thing they knew was that the Ottomans had lost, and badly. The Venetians panicked--if the Ottoman Empire collapsed, they would have to work out new trade deals with a new empire--likely, Safavid Persia. In Rome, Leo X, though distracted by other matters, sent a rather rude letter to the "Prince of Persia, Ishmael" demanding that he set Constantinople free and give it back to Christendom. Common European perception at the time was that God was punishing the Ottoman Empire for occupying Constantinople (ironically, Christian Europeans had done this themselves in 1204).
I would think the Hapsburgs would be overjoyed to see the Ottomans beaten down. They did try to form an alliance with Shah Ismail IOTL for that purpose.

Not only does this cripple the Ottomans and vastly expand the Safavid Empire, just having a more active Ismail who likely doesn't die at 36 sent loose a whole swarm of butterflies. Plus Tahmasp I's regency and subsequent rule with his father's perceived divinity remaining intact. Then there's the whole situation in India, with the chaos that let the Mughals take over OTL about to kick in. Greater than Alexander is an actual possibility, given the instability in every direction.

Reading the wiki page to get started, it seems the Ottoman army was facing some remarkable morale issues, with Janissaries going so far as to shoot against the Sultan’s tent in protest. They were angry about marching against fellow Muslims and the scorched earth campaign was taking effect. In fact the Sultan attacked quickly so as to avoid further mutiny.

So probably the only winning move for the Safavids is not to play and avoid direct confrontation until AFTER the Janissaries boil over. I wonder if it could go as far as having some Janissaries join the enemy lines and bring some firepower over, but that might be too much of a stretch.

Would the Safavids still be Shi'ite ITTL?

Yes. In fact, they would become the most powerful Shia state to ever exist, more powerful than the Fatimid Caliphate of nearly 400 years earlier. Ismail, as a result of being less depressed (which, I did some more research, he definitely was at least depressed after Chaldiran, if not constantly drunk) lives far longer. Thus, he is able to conquer the now-inept Mamluk Dynasty and take Mecca.

This is not odd for any of the people hajj -ing to Mecca, because for the last several centuries Mecca had been ruled by a Shia ruler of the Zaydi sect (the Sharif of Mecca). The Zaydis believe that leadership over the Muslim world (ummah) belongs to an Imam * . This Imam should be a descendant of Fatima, herself the only surviving daughter of Muhammad. Likely, this would simply mean that Ismail would order his propagandists to make up some shenaniganery about him being descended from Fatima.

* Note: The Zaydi interpretation of an Imam, like other south Arabian Shia sects of Islam, is not that of the Twelver interpretation. An Imam to them simply means, "Spiritual Leader," much like a Sunni Caliph, rather than the millenarian concept of the 12th Imam, the Mahdi, which is present in the Twelver sect.)

The Safavids weren't just Shia--they were incredibly aggressively Shia. They promoted it like a new faith. Their brand of Twelver Shia, Safaviyya, was notably tolerant of beliefs inherited from other religions. Notably, as Ismail and his empire became increasingly Persianized, old Zoroastrian concepts found their way into Safaviyya (which itself later split along tolerance and non-tolerance of these beliefs).

This faith that they promoted, they promoted harshly. They used an endless stream of propaganda, whether rock-hewn alongside the inscriptions of Khosrow and Darius, or through architecture in the form of the eye-poppingly beautiful mosques they built, or, increasingly, through public humiliation of Sunnis. Ismail, in particular, made Shia almost a requirement to accepted in Safavid society, and began to imprison notable Sunnis across the empire. Sunni places of worship were occasionally even vandalized by fanatic Shia adherents. Though this persecution would decrease under later rulers, Ismail's son, Tahmasp, made life hard for Sunnis as well.

I'm now starting to seriously work on this timeline.

Last edited:
Wow this timeline truly has shifted, I myself am not sure what will happen next.

One thing is for certain what happens next will be interest I'm not sure what direction Ismail will go next, if he had any good level headed advisors I would say he should consolidate his lands and deal with any feuds and sectarianism in his new empire (not his own but the more the Grim's massacres of alawites and Shia certainly will be paid in blood now that the Ottomans lost) but anyone who's harbored any doubt about his abilities has been silenced indeed to anyone it seems like world is just waiting to be conquered.

I suspect though thanks to this for better or worse you soon see dozens of would be rivals emerge, either in Christian Europe seeing this very scary new Muslim power forming or more likely very bitter and now free Sunni warlords after all with the Ottomans now gone their vassals and clients are now free and free to be preyed on.

I suppose Baghdad would a fine capital given it's between Anatolia and Persia while also being of key importance for Ismail's love of history but a bit more neutral.

Wow this timeline truly has shifted, I myself am not sure what will happen next.

One thing is for certain what happens next will be interest I'm not sure what direction Ismail will go next, if he had any good level headed advisors I would say he should consolidate his lands and deal with any feuds and sectarianism in his new empire (not his own but the more the Grim's massacres of alawites and Shia certainly will be paid in blood now that the Ottomans lost) but anyone who's harbored any doubt about his abilities has been silenced indeed to anyone it seems like world is just waiting to be conquered.

I suspect though thanks to this for better or worse you soon see dozens of would be rivals emerge, either in Christian Europe seeing this very scary new Muslim power forming or more likely very bitter and now free Sunni warlords after all with the Ottomans now gone their vassals and clients are now free and free to be preyed on.

I suppose Baghdad would a fine capital given it's between Anatolia and Persia while also being of key importance for Ismail's love of history but a bit more neutral.

Yeah, I can't wait to develop the rest of this! Right now, I'm writing up a sizeable prologue, which is all history from OTL, but important in understanding the complicated concepts I'm going to discuss in the AH.

I will eventually post in a separate thread dedicated to the timeline. I'm writing it on a doc, and I'm going to post the timeline in chapters.

I'm still trying to come up with a good (and hopefully, catchy) name. Unfortunately, I'm not good at naming stuff, so if you guys happen to have any ideas for the name of this project, I'm all ears.

Baghdad as the capital would be a very nice turn of events to it. More so given the city really suffered in that era of history between all the sacks, and battles over it.

The Safavids making it the capital following their victory over the Ottomans and massive growth would do nicely for both Iran and Baghdad, seeing it regained much of it lost prominence

I'm still trying to come up with a good (and hopefully, catchy) name. Unfortunately, I'm not good at naming stuff, so if you guys happen to have any ideas for the name of this project, I'm all ears.
"If God Heard the Caravan Thief"? "Ismail" literally translates to "heard by God" and Ismail himself apparently said "I am not a caravan-thief; whatever is decreed by God, will occur" when told he should attack the Ottomans as soon as possible.
Or "He Struck a Tune that God could Hear," since Chaldiran comes from chaldirmaq, which means to play (a tune or instrument) or strike.

Yeah, I can't wait to develop the rest of this! Right now, I'm writing up a sizeable prologue, which is all history from OTL, but important in understanding the complicated concepts I'm going to discuss in the AH.

I will eventually post in a separate thread dedicated to the timeline. I'm writing it on a doc, and I'm going to post the timeline in chapters.

"If God Heard the Caravan Thief"? "Ismail" literally translates to "heard by God" and Ismail himself apparently said "I am not a caravan-thief; whatever is decreed by God, will occur" when told he should attack the Ottomans as soon as possible.
Or "He Struck a Tune that God could Hear," since Chaldiran comes from chaldirmaq, which means to play (a tune or instrument) or strike.

Hmm.,..

The Shining Twelve Pointed Sun? (Twelver Shi'ism.)

The Shining East?

A Golden Lion Triumph?

I am really glad to see this discussion evolve into a fully-fledged timeline, can’t wait to read it

I really like “If God Heard the Caravan Thief” or some variation of that, especially if you go by the avoid the battle strategy for winning

If you go for something like “He struck a tune God could hear” please make it “A secret chord that pleased the Lord” or something as a reference to Hallelujah :p