The Thunderers: A Carthage Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did those two got along personally in OTL really? Most things I know make it seem like Hannibal thought of Antiochus as a pompous fool, but since that mostly coming from Roman sources I don't put much faith in it. Antiochus accomplished too much to be an utter tool.

Perhaps you've got some better sources?

Don't assume that I know what I'm talking about! Seriously, I have very little formal training in Roman history, let alone Punic history (I've read a few books but no classes really to speak of); I am extremely fallible, I appreciate having my statements questioned so that I can parce out my logic, double-check my sources, and see if I make any sense.

The logic behind me saying that is that it seems like Antiochus and Hannibal had a good relationship before the Roman-Syrian War broke out. Goldsworthy mentions that Hannibal's political enemies went to Rome claiming that he had been intriguing with Antiochus III to attack Rome again. While this may or may not be true, and the same circumstances wouldn't apply, it does seem to suggest that Hannibal was willing to work with Antiochus without it being just the last resort of an exile. Also, the biography I have on Antiochus the Great (by Michael Taylor) describes Hannibal as a "well-regarded councilor" in the Seleucid court, especially before the war.

I think where Hannibal and Antiochus had their "falling out" was over how Antiochus handled the war against Rome. Hannibal wanted to command an army and to invade Italy, but Antiochus trusted his own generals more, and (probably wisely) didn't want to send his armies all the way to Italy. They had different visions for the war, and both men would have had egos with histories of success to back it up -- in the situation that OTL pit them in, it's easy to see where the two might clash.

So I guess the way I was thinking about it was that the relationship between Hannibal and Antiochus wouldn't have the same chance to deteriorate ITTL. Presumably, they saw common ground between themselves and had a mutual respect for one another, otherwise there probably wouldn't be a relationship to discuss. In this situation, with the two men rulers of empires that aren't competing over the same turf, my assumption is that they would continue to get along well enough.

I should point out though, that things COULD theoretically change their calculations towards one another. I'm only commenting on what we know right now. That's not to say that something WILL happen, I just want to leave it open.

Anyways, thanks for your comment. As I said above, I really do appreciate people calling me out and making me really think about what I say. It helps me. :)

lokaloki said:
Thanks for updates!
I am glad that TL is continued :)

Thank you for commenting. :)

This timeline isn't dead, but it's definitely on hiatus until probably mid-summer, unfortunately. This timeline was very much a function of me having nothing to do last year; this year I'm very busy (and will be occupied well into June and potentially through August), hence why I haven't posted anything in a while (and probably won't for a good while longer).

Interestingly enough one of the things that is keeping me busy is that I'm writing an essay on Hannibal's decision after Cannae, so trust that I am at least doing Carthage-related stuff in the meantime. ;)

So how has life been?

Very good! Actually for the last couple weeks of May and most of June I was abroad at an archaeological field school, which was really, really cool, and last week was my first week at a new internship at a museum I've got for the rest of the summer. I had to move a few hours away, so I've been settling in. Haven't logged into this site since May, actually, which seems crazy. I'm glad you bumped this, because now that I've kind of settled in for the rest of the summer I'm thinking I'm going to try to write for this timeline again, and maybe the Alexander one that I've been on the precipice of writing for years now, while I'm bored in my spare time here. So hopefully within the next couple weeks I'll have something to post! Stay tuned! And I'm so happy people haven't forgotten about this, you guys are great! :)

I am really sorry guys that I haven't updated this... still can't update it anytime terribly soon but I do intend to write for this at some point when I have less going on. I've been busy with good stuff, but still busy busy busy. :/

I am waiting :)
Congratulations with your archaeological field school! It's interesting, where is the school located?

The school was in Menorca! I ended up getting funding through my college to go to this field school and help dig up some Roman ruins from the 3-5th centuries AD. It was a lot of fun!

I'm never gonna give you up!

I'm never gonna let you down!

Never gonna run around and desert you!

ani-rick_astley.gif

:D

I do have to ask -- are you Rick Astley in this scenario never giving me up, or am I Rick Astley for constantly saying I'll never give this timeline up? :eek: Either way much props are given. :D

I offer the humblest of bumps. With any luck you'll have some time soon Monopolist. :)

I hope so too. :)

I am really sorry guys that I haven't updated this... still can't update it anytime terribly soon but I do intend to write for this at some point when I have less going on. I've been busy with good stuff, but still busy busy busy. :/

The school was in Menorca! I ended up getting funding through my college to go to this field school and help dig up some Roman ruins from the 3-5th centuries AD. It was a lot of fun!

ani-rick_astley.gif

:D

I do have to ask -- are you Rick Astley in this scenario never giving me up, or am I Rick Astley for constantly saying I'll never give this timeline up? :eek: Either way much props are given. :D

I hope so too. :)

I'm not giving up on this TL, man. Need my non-Roman Empire-ness

Status
Not open for further replies.