The Southern Cradle: An Alternate History of Africa

Note: For this timeline I will be assuming that the earliest projected arrival dates of Austronesians in Madagascar--that is, around 300 BC--is correct. Feel free to disagree with me if you like, but this is what the timeline is ultimately based on.

The Southern Cradle*
An Alternate History of Africa

madagascar-wifes-close.jpg

The pivots that history spins on are many and varied. Some may be battles, others births, a great many deaths. The pivot I present to you today is none of these, though it will lead to a birth of a sort. Exactly 2,200 years before the Year of Our Lord 2015, a group of Austronesians on the western coast of what in our world is known as Madagascar had a falling out.

Their ancestors had arrived on the coast less than a hundred years before, and the proto-Malagasy had not yet penetrated at all into the forbidding highlands of the great island. This group in particular were some of the oldest settlers of Madagascar, being the descendants of one of the first groups to arrive.

This group was led by a chief; however, he was old, quite ancient in fact, and his young, upstart nephew was ambitious and desired to take his uncle's place. The conflict simmered for several months before exploding into outright violence. The followers of the old chief decisively defeated the nephew's men, a little under half of the tribe.

Shamed, the nephew, whose name is naturally lost to history, gathered his remaining men and their women(1), and left the little colony, their outriggers holding the agricultural treasure that is the Austronesian birthright--saonjo(2), bananas, coconuts, breadfruit(3), and sugar cane, as well as a few dogs, a small group of pigs, and some chickens (the latter of whom would die out before being able to establish themselves in the new lands).

Not knowing where to go, they traveled south alongst the coast of the great island until, in the middle of winter (or summer in the northern hemisphere), a great storm blew the canoes west. For many weeks, they were lost at sea, and despaired to ever find their way to new lands. But then, two months later, land was sighted, and a river.

Landing, they established a small settlement by the banks of the gently-flowing river, which they named Bononoka(4). While they found that it was difficult to grow saonjo even in these watered lands, the rest of the agricultural package brought flourished in the peaceful clime. Breadfruit in particular thrived in the delta and largely became the staple crop of these Malasi (as they had begun to call themselves).

In only a few generations, the Malasi were thriving, with dozens of independent chiefdoms dotting the banks of the Bononoka by the beginning of the millenium. Those further away from the coast had begun, in small amounts, adopting the cattle and to an extent the lifestyle of the local Khoikhoi, some of whom were in turn adopting the agricultural ways of their neighbors. And here is where the history of civilization in southern Africa truly begins...

Notes
(1) Yes, their women. It's not exactly a feminist society, nor are most in this period.
(2) In other words, taro.
(3) I'm uncertain whether or not breadfruit was brought by the first Austronesians to Madagascar, though there is breadfruit there. However, for the purposes of this timeline, I will be assuming that it was.
(4) 'Gentle' in Malagasy. IOTL, this is the Tugela River in KwaZulu-Natal.

A snippet of my new timeline! Please post what you think. :) Next time I'll have prose updates covering the actual lifestyle of the early Malasi and their interactions with the San and Khoikhoi.

*My original title was going to be Just The Tip, but I figured that was a bit too suggestive for an agricultural timeline. :p

I haven't seen an African TL where the POD is the Malagasy. Interesting. Looking forward to future updates!

Oh finally a Malagasy timeline. IOTL they brought few of the animal domesticates available to Austronesians, but we can just assume the settlers were a little more blessed by fortune. They did have rice, which would make a promising crop if transferred to the mainland.

Oh finally a Malagasy timeline. IOTL they brought few of the animal domesticates available to Austronesians, but we can just assume the settlers were a little more blessed by fortune. They did have rice, which would make a promising crop if transferred to the mainland.

See, I was ambivalent about bringing rice into the picture, since from what I read there's no evidence the first settlers brought rice with them and that it is generally assumed to be a later group of Austronesians who brought it. Do you have a link for that? (I'm not doubting you, I just want to make sure it's correct before I put it in) Rice will do very well in the Tugela basin, as its usually flooded and has a massive drainage area. The only reason taro isn't doing so well is because it actually matures a lot slower in flooded areas, despite the fact that it grows much larger and is much healthier there.

Oh, and for you guys cheering over the fact that it's a Malagasy timeline, well, not entirely. The Khoikhoi and the San are going to play a huge role in the coming cultures.

Use this for ideas for indigenous domesticates, yo:

A Different Cape: Khokhoi Agricultural Civilization

If people remember from way back when, perhaps a year ago, I posted a scenario I had been planning out about a different South Africa with an indigenous Khokhoi civilization thanks to a chance fertilization of wheat through bird droppings. After re-evaluation I thought it rather silly and lazy, so I looked for ways to do ti without a totally ridiculous POD. I research local grasses and realized the true size of South Africa's floral kingdom, with thousands of unique species. When I did some digging, I realized that both green and other kinds of Amarath, importantly the seed-bearing kinds, were native to South Africa. This provided an excellent opportunity for a founder crop- Amaranth has great yields and is an excellent source of protein. It was used for centuries as an important food source by the Aztecs and is therefore a proven crop in terms of being able to provide. It is also perennial, which will be important for reasons to be explained.

Once I had amaranth down as a founder, I figured a pretty standard PoD would do- a mutation which, as elsewhere, would allow certain defects such as easy seed extraction which while in the wild would cause them to get easily picked apart by birds and other hungry animals, with humans nearby could allow them to unconsciously breed them. The usual process would thus take route, with during a warm period around 8000 BC when many other plants were being domesticated, Khokhoi hunters eat a few and then the remaining seeds grow in the midden heap, thus as usual incurring agricultural bounty. As animals start to diminish around the Cape as the area becomes slightly drier, they would begin to depend on regular planting and re-planting of Amaranth, thus allowing them to develop into the first stirrings of civilization, as it were.

biomes.jpg

Regarding the area that this is happening, South Africa has many complicated climactic zones. The area chosen where the amaranth is cultivated is the Fynbos, or Cape Mediterranean zone. It has dry summers and mild winters, with the same climactic regularities as the Levant or Greece, thus making it a prime location for the development of local crops. The soil is good and is famous for its good wine and cereal-based fertility. I can see the limits of this civilization, for the moment anyway, being the Fish river in the east and the Karoo in the north, thus occupying an area roughly analogous to the Western Cape today.

Acacias can be found in the area, and there are a multitude of vegetables. Amaranth leaves are also nutritious and could quite possibly be used for all sorts of materials. There's a local bulb-based plant called the Waterblommetijes which can be grown in small ponds and gardens and is great as an additive to foods or to supplement the traditional Amaranth seed crop. Since Amaranths are perennial, they are therefore very useful. There are other vegetables but about these I am not sure; if anyone knows anything about the local floral ecology of the Fynbos region then please say so.

In terms of domesticates, it's a bit more difficult. I've thrown several around, but Ostriches really seem to be the best bet. Khokhoi knew how to hunt ostriches and regularly used their eggs as carrying cases for water and valuables, so they have experience with them. Ostriches have been domesticated recently, but they are in fact docile enough for it to work even in the far past. Ostriches are helpful for a multitude of reasons. Their meat, while likely to be considered a great delicacy, is in fact red and is very nutritious. Their feathers are luxurious and spurred a craze for them in early 19th century Europe. They can be used as pack animals or even be ridden, though they are a fair bit more unstable than horses. Perhaps if they were bred for the purpose of riding they would be easier, with broader backs and better balance, but that would lay in the future.

The main areas where I've run into a lot of difficulty with is actual culture and development. The area which everything is being cultivated in is quite small, without the large spaces and room for expansion which characterized the Fertile Crescent or China. This would likely lead to some disasters. Though the perennial nature of Amaranths as well as the fact that the plants don't generally damage soils they are in too terribly means there would be a permanent ecological disaster, until the arrival of sorghum and the West African crop package, the civilization will be constantly in a cycle of expansion, peak, and then collapse when food production can't meet growth because of the lack of available free space. This might lead to some very organized systems and dense populations in order to intensively farm the land.

I am wondering what would happen with the Bantu migration. The entirety of Southern Africa was in, effect, in a massive migration with the Bantu at one end, pushing peoples south. Sometime around 1-500 AD the first of these people who weren't hunter-gatherers would bring Sorghum, yams, and other staple foods of Western Africa with them, along with the incredibly important resource of cattle. This could utterly change the dynamic between these people and the Khokhoi. While in OTL the Khokhoi took herding from the Xhosa, they couldn't take agriculture, because it had its limits. With this, however, the Bantu are exposed to organized, powerful and dense societies with agricultural limitations, and the Bantu have the means to expand their area massively. I could see around the OTL fall of the Roman Empire for there to be a massive collapse as the first folk movements hit the area, likely armed with iron, and then a massive reformation and explosion of population as the Khokhoi use the new crops and start farming them in the area outside of their traditional boundaries.

In particular, the province of the Eastern Cape and the Highveld would be prime targets for this population explosion. The old crops would continue to be cultivated and besides in a few border areas there wouldn't be much use of both packages because the two are adapted to different environments, but the opportunities for cross-cultural and technological exchange could be immense. This would allow for a far more complicated system of states south of the River Limpopo.

Regarding trade, I'm not sure. I was originally planning for the point of contact to be with with the landing of the Portuguese in 1487 but I feel as though such organized societies with complicated trading networks could potentially be part of the larger Arab trade network, though perhaps the storminess of Cape Natal and the fact that these people are far further south than Arabs usually have reason to trade and wouldn't be able to offer slaves, spices, or huge amounts of ivory which were what traders were looking for.

I don't have much intention, right now, to go through with this, so I'm putting this out there as a half-baked scenario for anyone interested to take up on or explore, and for comments and criticisms to help develop it.

See, I was ambivalent about bringing rice into the picture, since from what I read there's no evidence the first settlers brought rice with them and that it is generally assumed to be a later group of Austronesians who brought it. Do you have a link for that? (I'm not doubting you, I just want to make sure it's correct before I put it in) Rice will do very well in the Tugela basin, as its usually flooded and has a massive drainage area. The only reason taro isn't doing so well is because it actually matures a lot slower in flooded areas, despite the fact that it grows much larger and is much healthier there.

Oh, and for you guys cheering over the fact that it's a Malagasy timeline, well, not entirely. The Khoikhoi and the San are going to play a huge role in the coming cultures.

Sorry I didn't know rice may have arrived later. I read a linguistic analysis of domesticated animals in Madagascar which concluded none were introduced by the original settlers. There's no mention of crops. Some of it is obvious but what's surprising was they didn't bring traditional Austronesian animals like chicken and pigs. The paper theorize the Malagasy bush pig were wild boars brought from Africa and an effort was made to domesticate them.

Another interesting point was that pigs were introduced to Africa from Eurasia by way of North Africa and the Nile, but that they seemed to have penetrated no further into Sub-Saharan Africa than Sudan/Ethiopia.

http://www-01.sil.org/asia/philippines/splc/SPLC18-2_Blench.pdf

Last edited:
By what means they can actually survive in the sea for two months?

We are talking about these ancient people sitting in canoes/ boats and in the open sea:confused:

Use this for ideas for indigenous domesticates, yo:

According to this the indigenous people of the Cape already had sheep by the time the Dutch first arrived and that they resembled the Syrian breed.

http://www.turtlesa.com/sheep.html

Besides meat and eggs, ostrich leather is outstanding. It's considered the toughest available for making shoes. Ostrich feather has also more than a decorative purpose. People still make dresses with them. The ostrich can provide all that's needed for clothes and footwear.

http://coolspotters.com/files/photo...ther-and-fringe-embroidered-dress-profile.jpg

By what means they can actually survive in the sea for two months?

We are talking about these ancient people sitting in canoes/ boats and in the open sea:confused:

Actually, we're talking about the ancestors of the Polynesians in outrigger canoes. The Polynesians sometimes survived for months and MONTHS on the open sea. How exactly do you think they got from Indonesia et. al to Madagascar, pray tell?

According to this the indigenous people of the Cape already had sheep by the time the Dutch first arrived and that they resembled the Syrian breed.

http://www.turtlesa.com/sheep.html

Besides meat and eggs, ostrich leather is outstanding. It's considered the toughest available for making shoes. Ostrich feather has also more than a decorative purpose. People still make dresses with them. The ostrich can provide all that's needed for clothes and footwear.

http://coolspotters.com/files/photo...ther-and-fringe-embroidered-dress-profile.jpg

Indeed. I believe it was the Khoikhoi who are thought to have brought the sheep, though I could be wrong. Ostriches would be a fantastic domesticate for my little budding civilization.

Sorry I didn't know rice may have arrived later. I read a linguistic analysis of domesticated animals in Madagascar which concluded none were introduced by the original settlers. There's no mention of crops. Some of it is obvious but what's surprising was they didn't bring traditional Austronesian animals like chicken and pigs. The paper theorize the Malagasy bush pig were wild boars brought from Africa and an effort was made to domesticate them.

Another interesting point was that pigs were introduced to Africa from Eurasia by way of North Africa and the Nile, but that they seemed to have penetrated no further into Sub-Saharan Africa than Sudan/Ethiopia.

http://www-01.sil.org/asia/philippines/splc/SPLC18-2_Blench.pdf

Well, I'll look it up in terms of the rice thing. Yes, that's true now that I read about it, the Malagasy brought no domesticates with them. Therefore, I declare that we have an earlier POD; the Malagasy bringing pig and chicken with them, as well as of course dogs. Is that alright with everyone?

Well, that's part of the point of developing an advanced civilization down there.

Oh I nearly forgot, perhaps preserving the elephant bird? They lasted on Madagascar to the 17th century IIRC. Unsure if suited for domestication or if they could be transplanted to say Mozambique, but certainly big enough to ride if tractable.

Oh I nearly forgot, perhaps preserving the elephant bird? They lasted on Madagascar to the 17th century IIRC. Unsure if suited for domestication or if they could be transplanted to say Mozambique, but certainly big enough to ride if tractable.

Likely not. As I understand it, they were relatively placid forest dwellers, slow reproducing, slow growing and long lived. Even if they were large, it doesn't appear likely that they would have built the requisite cardio endurance to be a useful domesticate - for that, you need heavy duty roamers, animals that have or are capable of migration. Basically, everything that the Southern Ostrich has that makes them a good candidate for domestication, the Elephant Birds lacked.

Last edited: