Status
Not open for further replies.
Dearest Hildita,

I am writing you because I want you to know that I am thinking about you. I was very happy to be home for your birthday and I hope you enjoy the small gifts.

Now that I am recovered and my training work here is done, you know that I must go far away again and will be gone for quite some time. There are many years of struggle ahead, doing what I can to fight against our enemies.

Dearest, you are a woman now. I cannot write to you the way I write to the little ones. I must no tell you silly things or little fibs. You have prepared yourself to be very revolutionary. You have the privilege of living in a great era and you must be worthy of it. I know you will do your part in the struggle. I am sure that comrade Ilich will do his utmost to provide the necessary training for your adventures to come.

All right, old lady. Again I hope you are very happy on your birthday. Give a hug to your mother and to Gina and Aleldita. I give you a great big strong one to last as long as we don’t see each other.

Your Papa

Letter from Ernesto "Che" Guevara to his eldest daughter, late February, 1969, Chiang Rai Thailand

Dearest Hildita,

I am writing you because I want you to know that I am safe.

Asia was very beautiful, and reminds me very much of Cuba. But I fear that the Chinese have become rather angry with me. But have no fear for your papa - though great enemy giants may pursue me to the ends of the earth, the dust kicked up by the hooves of Rocinante will blind them while I hurl my spears at them. The imperialists are like angry elephants - very dangerous, but also very clumsy.

I heard from comrade Ilich last week. He tells me he is very pleased with your progress.

Well, old lady, I must hasten along to the next rendezvous. Give your mother a kiss for me and one to to Gina and Aleldita.

Your Papa
Letter from Ernesto "Che" Guevara to his eldest daughter, November, 1969, Goiânia, Brazil

"When a system is declining, it can bring despair. Deadening nihilism can suffocate deep democratic energies. But it can also lead to a moral and spiritual awakening. It can give democratic hope."

This immediately made me think about the state of islam in the world today

"Having examined the failures of the Congolese revolution, it is time to examine the failure in Asia. It is of critical importance to understand the differences between operations in Cambodia, Thailand, and the Philippines and those in Vietnam and Laos."

Ernesto "Che" Guevara, Lessons of Revolutionary Failure, 1971

Last edited:
"When a system is declining, it can bring despair. Deadening nihilism can suffocate deep democratic energies. But it can also lead to a moral and spiritual awakening. It can give democratic hope."

This immediately made me think about the state of islam in the world today

Derived from real comments West has made, heavily massaged and hacked together, some of which are quite recent. ;)

A fun little bit of pop culture:

Thomas "Tom" Lehrer (born April 9, 1928) is a popular American singer-songwriter known for his pithy satirical songs laced with very dark sense of humor. Many of Lehrer songs deal with social and political issues of the day, beginning with his work on the U.S. television show That Was the Week That Was. As a result, many of Lehrer's songs have provoked intense controversy.

Userpedia entry circa 2016

"We weren't heroes, we just ordinary people trying to do right. I was one small part of a movement made up of thousands of other people. One that shifted history. One that succeeded in forcing a transformation and liberated millions of people in this country. When I joined Stormbringer in 1967, I wanted to end the underlying system that produced war and racism. The total utter disregard for public opinion which made a mockery of moral appeals for gradual change made the escalation from protest to to armed resistance a logical imperative. And we succeeded. It might have come at a high cost, too high some would say, but it worked."

Stormbringer: My Life as an Underground Revolutionary, Mark Rudd, 1997

"For too long have workers in Bonn, in Munich, in Hamburg, in Stuttgart, in Frankfurt, in Cologne, and West Berlin Been Subjected to the Boot of Capitalism... It Is Time for the American Puppet Regime to be Overthrown... It Is Time for the German workers to take their lives into their own hands... we will spark such a revolution."

-Official Announcement of Formation of the Revolutionary Battalions, circa May, 1967

"When the riots and insurgency began in the south Chesty Puller wanted to serve his country again. He contacted the Commandant of the Marine Corps General Wallace M. Greene and volunteered his services. General Greene politely told Chesty "I think the Corps can handle this one without you". Chesty decided to help the country another way. He wrote a paper detailing how city and state police should form special units to deal with the emerging armed radicals. The paper was based on Puller's experiences in Haiti......Puller sent his paper to various police departments in fall of 1965. By coincidence the Los Angeles Police Department was begining to develop what would become the first SWAT team in the nation.* .......Chief Brown invited Puller to come to Los Angeles and take a look at the department's plan. Puller would end up spending the winter in California working with the LAPD.....While in Los Angeles Puller had a party thrown in his honor by Director John Ford. "

"How Chesty Puller helped to create SWAT" Leatherneck Magazine 1992

*I decided that the term SWAT is used outside of Los Angeles but the LAPD uses SWAP.

In 1965, Jim had been looking at locations in California, and Laurel Canyon was perfect. The property was conveniently located, yet easily defended against the coming storm. It would prove a tough nut to crack when Gates and the Special Weapons Attack Platoon came knocking.
The People's Temple, John Hall, 2004

That ought to clear up the question of what SWAP means. And yes, other PD's use SWAT.

And one more reveal before I'm back to workfor the next couple of days.

"Up until the People's Temple Siege, Gates' unit hadn't really had to deal with an entrenched enemy with real military experience. In the aftermath of the week long siege, Gates was convinced he needed better methods to deal with these sorts of threats. And again, Chesty Puller had the answer. Charlie "Ironsides" Beckwith was exactly who he was looking for."

Inside SWAP: The True Story of America's First Counter-Terrorist Teams, Robin Moore, 1991

"'And I heard a great voice out of the temple saying to the seven angels, Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth.'
Revelation 16:1

I have been praying so long for the opportunity that is upon us. He has finally granted us the chance to commit these revolutionary acts. We are standing on the threshold of Great events! God gave The Revelation of Jesus Christ unto His servants to show the things which will shortly come to pass. The 7 Seals have been broken and the Angels of Revelations are here now, ready to punish foolish mankind.. The coming war is something not to be taken lightly, but it will bring New Light and hope."
Excerpt from the unpublished manuscript discovered in the aftermath of the People's Temple Siege in 1967, generally attributed to Jim Jones

Time Magazine Article October 1965:

"The last rebel units of the Lousiana National Guard surrendered this week to federal troops. In the aftermath of Hurricane Betsey which hit the gulf coast last month, many rebels have been giving themselves up in order to help their families."

......"WWII hero and film star Audie Murphy has been in Lousiana since this summer. Murphy is currently serving as a Major with the Texas National Guard as a civil affairs officer. Major Murphy said "with winter coming on and the hurricane hitting the Klansmen and rebels don't want to go hungry."

"In the aftermath of the siege, Gates was given far more leeway. He was able to arm his platoon fully as well armed as any USMC assault platoon operating in Vietnam. And two years later, these weapons, along with the new counter-terrorist doctrines of Charlie Beckwith, proved very effective in dealing with another apocalyptic cult. The April 1969 assault on the Manson Family's Topanga Compound took a mere seventeen minutes."

Inside SWAP: The True Story of America's First Counter-Terrorist Teams, Robin Moore, 1991

"Operating under the new Puller Doctrine, Chief Brown emphasized not only the importance of militarized policing but also "winning hearts and minds" through community policing. Unlike in some other cities - Dallas being an excellent example - in Los Angeles this was unfortunately soon became became less emphasized, largely due to differences in leadership styles between Chief Brown and Chief Reddin."

Rise and Fall of the Warrior Cop: Daryl Gates and the Failures of Militarized Policing, Mike Balko*, 2008

* Balko's given name has been butterflied, along with the title of his book.

Status
Not open for further replies.