Status
Not open for further replies.
"We missed getting him at Dongxing. Sure, we tore up a lot of shit, killed some top guys, but we missed the number one target. He was one slippery SOB, and he was living up to the reputation of a man who could escape from any situation.

But the real shit that came down on us was the fallout from the Chinese reaction. BOHICA!"

Rogues, Rascals, and Blackguards: The True Adventures of a Navy SEAL, Richard Marcinko 1990

I have a feeling this will become "For All Time"-ish.

It is now too dark for me (it started only focusing on the US and the South mostly, and I figured it'd be able to get a bit worse but be confined and not that bad.)

I will, however, post one last bit that will be sweet AH irony.

You can join the discussion and try to move toward calm like I always like to do; I don't like dystopias, much less the really bad stuff like that, but that's why I did have things tending toward a possible resolution. (I actually avoid some of the worst bullying, mean people, etc. in threads to avoid bringing back bad memories.)

South Carolina, for instance, could go one of several ways after the alternate elections, some of which are much more peaceful than others. Maybe even acceptance of the new government by the Feds in exchange for no new Constitution. Plausible if the Feds want to permanently drive a wedge between the more peaceful people and the militant ones; which would be what I'd have - on the basis of the governor *did* refuse to let the legislature meet and they acquiesced against the clear wording of a state constitution requiring said legislature to exist - just to make a *lot* of people go, "Yes, we are totally against totalitarians who will not rule with an elected... Wait, what?"

So, one last story post from me, and I do have a lot of other things starting to come up...

KRON-TV. September 27, 1965.

"Anti-War protests break out today on the streets of San Francisco. A group of well over 1000 march up to City Hall, calling the United States to leave Vietnam now, and end the fighting. Protests in New York, Ohio, and some other states also have reported of taking place."

From the 60s documentary:

Milton Henry: "In the end, it was pride that brought the old government of South Carolina down. My brother had been hurt protecting one of those voting places, but a lot of folks laughed at us, they said they were foolish to try to stop us because they had the power and we'd never win.

"Kind of crazy how they said California wasn't Alabama, but int he end, South Carolina wasn't as bad, in some respects, as California."

-------------------------

Nov. 11, 1965 - New York Times: "After sporadic fighting, fast tracked court case to be heard on which government is valid in South Carolina."

------------------------------

From the book, "Carolina Chicken," by Douglas Wilder

"...What got me interested in politics in the first place, and allowed me to rise as far as I did, was the boldness with which the Carolina people had used the law. All the white people said there was no way they could win. People kept asking the governor to call their legislature back till after their electin, and he kept refusing, saying he was not going to give one inch to those... well, you know what he said....

...In the end, the Supreme Court made its ruling, and there was bedlam..."

-----------------------------

Milton Henry, 60s documentary:

"...Imari was famous for that saying, "Next stop, Alabama!" However, that actually helped take the spotlight off of us. We never did see eye to eye after that;he could never understand why I supposedly compromised. However, it was pretty simple, really.

"I was now governor of a state. And, I had a constituency to look after."

----------------------------

Special White House tape, archived in Library of Congress:

Humphrey: "Well, Mr. Henry, congratulations on your Supreme Court victory yesterday."

henry: "Thank you, Mr. President."

Humphrey: "Now, listen, we can provide Federal protection while you organize your national Guard, your state offices, and so on. However, there will be conditions. I'm sure you'd like to know what those are, becasue I don't know if you feel safe back in your state without them at first."

Henry: "Mr. President, I have heard from quite a few in mys tate who are tired of all the fighting and just want to get back to a simple life."

Humphrey: Good. Milton...may i call you that?"

Milton: "I prefer Governor or Mr. Henry."

Humphrey: "That's fine. Your rallying cry this whole time has been that you will not abide by the Communistic, totalitiarian acts of a man who would suspend his legislature. I expect you to honor that and not force through a Constitution which will 'redistribute wealth' like one of thsoe countries."

Henry: "The people have spoken, Mr. President."

Humphrey: Maybe so, but do you realize how much destructin there would be if you tried? You basically won a split decision; don't go double or nothing."

Henry: What are the others?"

Humphrey: "Renounce the violent attempts to withdraw from the Union."

Henry: I can do that."

Humphrey: Finally, no new name. It's South Carolina. if you want to put a referendum on the ballot, goa head, but remember, our ability to support you depends on you following democratic principles to the letter! Becasue that's the only reason you had any shot in you know where to win, and even then it was close."

Henry: I suspect you mean your willingness to support, Mr. President, but I understand."

Humphrey: Good"

Henry: "I notice you didn't say anything about our political party names."

Humphrey: "Not having a Democratic Party is okay since you didn't have a Republican, either. Besides, parties aren't in the Constitution, it just works out that way. Oh, one more thing?"

"Henry: "Yes, Mr. president?"

Humphrey: "Welcome aboard."

----------------------------------

From the documentary "60s"

"...It was the irony of ironies. South Carolina, becasue of one man's foolish wager that he could refuse to let a legislature meet, had less violence than even California t tiems. Once they won the ruling, that the governor had exceeded his authority and wasn't listening to any demands to step down or negotiate, of course, thigns got worse...but then they got better again fast, with US. help.

"Humphrey's plan to use only loyal Southerners to police thigns helped a lot, because it wasn't Northerners like during Reconstruction. However, some people started fleeing South carolina and going, ironically, to Mexico and Cuba. Or back to Britain if they were British. South Carolina wound up prospering, though, becasue they drew lots of black people in a very well-run government overall, at least better than some others in the US.

"The Great New Bilibid Helicopter Escape

The Great New Bilibid Helicopter Escape occurred on March 15, 1968, when Ernesto "Che" Guevara's and two other prisoners, members of the National Democratic Front (NLF). made a daring, broad daylight escape from New Bilibid Military Prison by helicopter. Guevara was being held at New Bilibid after he was his capture in the Republic of Vietnam by members of the Philippine Armed Forces Scout Ranger Regiment. Guevara's organization had been helping the NLF with training and logistical support from their base in Borneo.

At 3:21 pm on March 15, 1968, NLF members hijacked a helicopter and forced the pilot to fly to New Bilibid. Guevara and two other prisoners were lifted by helicopter from the exercise yard and . The incident was a major embarrassment for the government of Ferdinand Marcos.

The event was famously commemorated in Silvio Rodríguez's El Helicóptero Corrido."

Userpedia entry for "The Great New Bilibid Helicopter Escape", circa 2016

NBC NEWS SPECIAL REPORT

January 3, 1966
10am

This is an NBC News Special Report. At 12:05 am this morning, convicted mutineers William Cook and Anthony Minor were executed at the Portsmouth Naval Prison.

Last month the prisoners’ sentences were upheld by the United States Court of Criminal Appeals for the Armed Forces. The Navy attorneys for the prisoners immediately appealed to the US Supreme Court. That appeal was denied at 8pm last night. At 10pm last night Pope Paul VI appealed to President Humphrey for clemency. The White House confirms that the President and the Pope did talk about Cook and Williams for over 30 minutes. At the end of the phone call, the President declined to issue a stay of execution. The Soviet Union condemned the President's refusal.

Both men were offered the traditional last meal of condemned prisoners. Inmate Cook had lobster, green beans, and chocolate cake. Inmate Williams refused the meal and refused the services of his family's Muslim imam. Cook was accompanied to the execution chamber by a Catholic priest.

Because of threats of violence, security at the prison was augmented by US Marines.

The executions were witnessed by family members, Rear Admiral Hearn, the Navy Judge Advocate General and newly promoted Commander Robert Staples. Both men declined to be interviewed by the press. It has been reported, but not confirmed, that Mrs. Elizabeth Cook, the mother of Inmate Cook, attacked Commander Staples after the executions

This has been an NBC News Special Report.

Last edited:
Los Angeles Times
September 25, 1965
'Gen. Westmoreland Severely Wounded In Deadly Saigon Grenade Attack'

"Viet Cong terrorists were today responsible for a grenade attack on the compound of Gen. Westmoreland in Saigon. Westmoreland was reportedly severely wounded in the attack, and has since been evacuated to an unspecified hospital for surgery. In addition, 2 Americans and 7 South Vietnamese were killed by the blasts.

A witness at the scene reports seeing at least 3 grenades being lobbed from a neighboring building into the compound. The members of the Viet Cong cell thought responsible for the attack were afterwards found and killed in a firefight with local security forces."

The New York Times
September 28, 1965
'B52 Strikes Close Pass Used By Viet Cong With Massive Landslide'

Last edited:
Los Angeles Times
September 25, 1965
'Gen. Westmoreland Severely Wounded In Deadly Saigon Grenade Attack'

"Viet Cong terrorists were today responsible for a grenade attack on the compound of Gen. Westmoreland in Saigon. Westmoreland was reportedly severely wounded in the attack, and has since been evacuated to an unspecified hospital for surgery. In addition, 2 Americans and 7 South Vietnamese were killed by the blasts.

A witness at the scene reports seeing at least 3 grenades being lobbed from a neighboring building into the compound. The members of the Viet Cong cell thought responsible for the attack were afterwards found and killed in a firefight with local security forces."

The New York Times
September 28, 1965
'B52 Strikes Close Pass Used By Viet Cong With Massive Landslide'

Humphrey will get pissed...

"Even after everything, all the rioting, and fires, and all the wild stuff that went on, Gene went forward with Star Trek. Now, i like to talk about Sally Hoshi of the cast first, then Shatner, Nimoy, and the rest of the gang. Hoshi was a young, but she was born here and her dad was American. Even knew a lot of Japanese stuff from her mom. She was a actress, but no one was looking her way. Can't blame them really, with the mess back then. Gene really wanted a strong, black female as one of the cast members, but even he saw it might have killed the show before it could really get started, with the riots, and shootings, and all that. So we compromise. After some time, Gene found Hoshi, and not long after that, the Enterprise had Ami Mizuki."

From the documentary film 'Starship: Enterprise." 1999.

Well... that was unexpected... ;)

Quebec_Dave

Banned
Humphrey will get pissed...

I would hate to be the cabinet member, military aide or intern in the room when Humphey is pissed! Humphey is, after all, a Minnesotan. Minnesotans have a well deserved reputation for being kind, polite and reserved. It is actually called "Minnesota Nice". However, if you do push a Minnesotan to anger, then better batten down the hatches!

"Even after everything, all the rioting, and fires, and all the wild stuff that went on, Gene went forward with Star Trek. Now, i like to talk about Sally Hoshi of the cast first, then Shatner, Nimoy, and the rest of the gang. Hoshi was a young, but she was born here and her dad was American. Even knew a lot of Japanese stuff from her mom. She was a actress, but no one was looking her way. Can't blame them really, with the mess back then. Gene really wanted a strong, black female as one of the cast members, but even he saw it might have killed the show before it could really get started, with the riots, and shootings, and all that. So we compromise. After some time, Gene found Hoshi, and not long after that, the Enterprise had Ami Mizuki."

From the documentary film 'Starship: Enterprise." 1999.

Well damn.

"The U.S. racist patriarchy, and particularly white America had been historically weak-willed in ensuring racial justice. It continued to resist fully accepting the humanity of blacks, degrading and oppressing people hungry for identity, meaning, and self-worth. When the chickens came home to roost, the ugly terrorist attacks on innocent civilians gave white Americans a glimpse of what it meant to be a black person in the United States - unsafe, unprotected, subject to random violence, and hatred. The existential angst, the ontological wounds, the emotional scars inflicted by the experience permeated U.S. society and culture, plunging the whole country into the blues.

When a system is declining, it can bring despair. Deadening nihilism can suffocate deep democratic energies. But it can also lead to a moral and spiritual awakening. It can give democratic hope.

The long and deep legacy of white supremacy arrested the development of US democracy. But that democratic awakening which occurred at a watershed moment in history when white America began to truly examine the issues of serious injustice and inequality, the political consciousness raising that occurred spilled over into all parts of the country. People begin to see what's going on through a set of different lens - what brother King would have called a revolution."

Awakening Democracy in America, Cornel West, 2002

"The U.S. racist patriarchy, and particularly white America had been historically weak-willed in ensuring racial justice. It continued to resist fully accepting the humanity of blacks, degrading and oppressing people hungry for identity, meaning, and self-worth. When the chickens came home to roost, the ugly terrorist attacks on innocent civilians gave white Americans a glimpse of what it meant to be a black person in the United States - unsafe, unprotected, subject to random violence, and hatred. The existential angst, the ontological wounds, the emotional scars inflicted by the experience permeated U.S. society and culture, plunging the whole country into the blues.

When a system is declining, it can bring despair. Deadening nihilism can suffocate deep democratic energies. But it can also lead to a moral and spiritual awakening. It can give democratic hope.

The long and deep legacy of white supremacy arrested the development of US democracy. But that democratic awakening which occurred at a watershed moment in history when white America began to truly examine the issues of serious injustice and inequality, the political consciousness raising that occurred spilled over into all parts of the country. People begin to see what's going on through a set of different lens - what brother King would have called a revolution."

Awakening Democracy in America, Cornel West, 2002

Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.