The Salvation War: A Review and Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole SD.net drama is just bewildering and astounding to me. Slade was the toast of the board, their resident vanity author. The admin/founder of the board loved his works. And then it just imploded after several incidents. If anything it is an intriguing case on how cults of personality can quickly reverse.

To this day, I still don't know exactly what happened apart from the guy in the Ukraine torrenting TSW and Pantheocide. I'd been following both novels regularly on SDN (that was pretty much the only reason I visited the site, as their hardcore-atheist attitude toward religion irks me), and I went away for some time, and then when I came back to check the latest updates on Pantheocide, BOOM, something had blown up over there and the whole topic of TSW had become "something we don't talk about anymore" there.

(For the record, I've been a member of Stuart's board in its various incarnations since 2000, so that predates my joining AH.com by quite a few years.)

So I'm getting along with my life and not really paying much attention to anything, when all of a sudden I am told that I'm apparently going into my Fight Club mode again. Yes, once more I've taken on the persona of a long-time poster on a website and used it to level horrid and unfair attacks on Stuart Slade!

Why do I do these things?

Because I am Snowball! I am Goldstein! I am Trotsky! And I am the Napoleon of Crime! I am the organiser of half that is evil and of nearly all that is undetected on the Internet... From my lair I co-ordinate an army of sock-puppets and liberal bobble-heads with only one goal! To ruin the literary career of Stuart Slade and bring about Sharia Law in the West!

I am obviously a very busy man indeed.

So far Stuart has accused me of being behind the website TBOsucks.com (that was DonBosco of spacebattles), of posting horrid reviews on Amazon (Coiler among others), of being responsible for various other critical blogs and forum posts (which weren't me, but I won't go into those because I don't post on those websites.) It is getting a little ridiculous. Now I don't comment on the accusations which concern posts on boards which I don't frequent. However I do frequent this board so I feel obliged to chime in. This will be a bit of a lengthy post since I didn't find out about this thread until just now.

As for your second question, it's much more apparent in TBO, particularly in his ludicrous Caliphate (which makes as much sense as an alliance of three completely different Christian Churches forming a political entity under a council of Popes). In fact, when his ignorance of Islam was revealed, he degenerated into ranting about how the critic was a hero-worshipper of the Ayatollah Khomeini and Osama bin Laden (revealing in turn his complete inability to take criticism).

The worst part is that I offered him several ways out, I told him he could call it the Ulema, or if he worried about that being obscure try the "Council of Viziers." However he insisted on calling it a "Council of Caliphs," and basing it on the tribal style government of Afghanistan. Nor is this just something that outsiders call it, the text explicitly stated that it was a "Council of Caliphs."

I should also add that there's a scene in the beginning of the book where they burn a group of people on the stake. The problem is that the one thing all schools of Islam (Sunni and Shia) agree on is this; burning people as part of a judicial punishment is blasphemy. You might as well have them celebrate a pork barbeque, it's just as haram, and religious fanatics are not known for being forgiving when it comes to the letter of the law.

By the way, from his posts he seems to pity that Norseman guy rather than hate him. His attitude seems to be that the guy needs to get a life.

Uhm... You know when I wrote that stuff saying "I am Snowball! I am Goldstein! I am Trotsky! And I am the Napoleon of Crime! I am the organiser of half that is evil and of nearly all that is undetected on the Internet" I was joking, but it seems that HPCA is buying into that whole hog.

As evidenced here:

Realy. this is from the guy that has made it his life's work to b***h about his every work? i mean yo sound like the guy on Amazon.com that had personal issues with him, hell you more than likely are him. you lose an agurment and you resort to a personal attack. sad realy.

Out of curiosity, why in the world do Slade's fans buy into his rather pathetic delusion that everyone who criticizes him is actually The Norseman in disguise (Stormlord evidently being one very significant deep cover action; though technically I've been here longer and also criticizing him [for the record, I was linked to here from browsing his forums for shits and giggles])? It's all the more sad given that that's exactly what Slade did with a supposed Thai colonel (later general) on his and at least one other board.

I personally think it's because Stuart had never before faced someone who wouldn't be intimidated into silence, and at the same time he couldn't use bluster to make it seem like he at least had as good a case as I did. Simply put Stuart knew absolutely nothing about Islam or the Middle-East, all he had was vague references to "a professor in the original Caliphate" and "people who fought in Afghanistan." He was so ignorant and so wrong that he couldn't even fake knowing what he was talking about.

That is why he ran away bawling and claimed I was a poopyhead with a vendetta.

To make things worse whenever people criticize his Caliphate they bring up my criticisms, they may even quote them. And he's got nothing to say to that. All he can do is talk about "the deranged rantings of Norseman" and try to affect an air of affable superiority. What he can't do is give in an informed response to my original critique, because he just doesn't know enough to do so.

I think that eats away at him, that he lost, that he had to flee, that he was unable to give a good response. I think his fans might feel the same way if they look at our argument. They don't have a response either. So they have to dismiss me without materially dealing with my objections.

Wow, an author telling people to 5-star his books in response to criticism. Definitely not the actions of an insecure self-promoter.

Also, this is a pretty good look at Stuart's mind. Yeah, he apologised, but his declarations of technical/historical accuracy in response to an attack on literary grounds are priceless, as is the gaze into his conspiratorial mindset.

Oh Lord yes! That one was hilarious.

But seriously I will make a prediction: They will all laugh about how Stormlord is only 16-17, they will say he's an idiot, laugh more about him being a teen, and never, ever deal with any of his actual objections.

Last edited:
Like I care!

Also: you're here? That's cool.

EDIT: I am so obviously the terrible Four-In-One. You see, I happen to be simultaneously two Americans, one of whom is a New York pop star, a Norwegian/Finn, and an English teenager living in Belgium, for after delving into the Kabbalah I discovered how to be four people with wildy different personalities and ages simultaneously. Soon I will spread my influence into all society, and where will bad literature hide then?

EDIT2: ALL IS ONE IN NORSEMAN. THIS MIGHTY BODY IS MY CHURCH.

Last edited:
I read and liked Armageddon, though I did realize some of its faults at the time. I couldn't get very far into Pantheocide, though, for reasons I can no longer remember. The way I understood it was, the books' flaws and rough parts would be revised and smoothed over before publishing.

A lot of your arguments are valid, but some other ones were explained in-story. The main point Slade made several times was that the demons' thought processes were not well suited for modern warfare, having not advanced beyond the bronze stage and being in fact deeply averse to advancement. In the thread he mentions that if they had attacked during world war 1, humanity would be SOL.

See, the problem I have with this is that while it's explained that doesn't mean it's not dumb or that that explanation stands up to scrutiny.

Like, is there anyone who couldn't think of a better plan to invade the Earth from hell than the one the demons used in five minutes? Like, take five minutes out now and think of one.

Even if you realistically would expect the demons to be unprepared for modern warfare (cause we'd really be prepared for telepathic teleporting demons!) having them be so unprepared is a tiresome way to write a story.

Or I think so anyway. I'm always surprised by the number of people I meet who claim stories don't need drama.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Like I care!

Also: you're here? That's cool.

EDIT: I am so obviously the terrible Four-In-One. You see, I happen to be simultaneously two Americans, one of whom is a New York pop star, a Norwegian/Finn, and an English teenager living in Belgium, for after delving into the Kabbalah I discovered how to be four people with wildy different personalities and ages simultaneously. Soon I will spread my influence into all society, and where will bad literature hide then?

EDIT2: ALL IS ONE IN NORSEMAN. THIS MIGHTY BODY IS MY CHURCH.

Guess the week wasn't enough?

Okay. Strike 2.

Kicked for a week for coming back into a thread where you were kicked for trolling & picking up right where you left off.

Pull this sort of immature crap again when you come back and I'll ring up the "K".

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Nice. Not enough to come into this thread and try to restart the flames? Figured you would drag in an Internet fight (one of the silliest things in existence) from a different Board in the bargain.

For a long time member you really should know the rules a lot better.

Take a week and study them.

When you come back leave the Gas Can and troll rar rah behind.
So I'm getting along with my life and not really paying much attention to anything, when all of a sudden I am told that I'm apparently going into my Fight Club mode again. Yes, once more I've taken on the persona of a long-time poster on a website and used it to level horrid and unfair attacks on Stuart Slade!

Why do I do these things?

Because I am Snowball! I am Goldstein! I am Trotsky! And I am the Napoleon of Crime! I am the organiser of half that is evil and of nearly all that is undetected on the Internet... From my lair I co-ordinate an army of sock-puppets and liberal bobble-heads with only one goal! To ruin the literary career of Stuart Slade and bring about Sharia Law in the West!

I am obviously a very busy man indeed.

So far Stuart has accused me of being behind the website TBOsucks.com (that was DonBosco of spacebattles), of posting horrid reviews on Amazon (Coiler among others), of being responsible for various other critical blogs and forum posts (which weren't me, but I won't go into those because I don't post on those websites.) It is getting a little ridiculous. Now I don't comment on the accusations which concern posts on boards which I don't frequent. However I do frequent this board so I feel obliged to chime in. This will be a bit of a lengthy post since I didn't find out about this thread until just now.

The worst part is that I offered him several ways out, I told him he could call it the Ulema, or if he worried about that being obscure try the "Council of Viziers." However he insisted on calling it a "Council of Caliphs," and basing it on the tribal style government of Afghanistan. Nor is this just something that outsiders call it, the text explicitly stated that it was a "Council of Caliphs."

I should also add that there's a scene in the beginning of the book where they burn a group of people on the stake. The problem is that the one thing all schools of Islam (Sunni and Shia) agree on is this; burning people as part of a judicial punishment is blasphemy. You might as well have them celebrate a pork barbeque, it's just as haram, and religious fanatics are not known for being forgiving when it comes to the letter of the law.

Uhm... You know when I wrote that stuff saying "I am Snowball! I am Goldstein! I am Trotsky! And I am the Napoleon of Crime! I am the organiser of half that is evil and of nearly all that is undetected on the Internet" I was joking, but it seems that HPCA is buying into that whole hog.

As evidenced here:

I personally think it's because Stuart had never before faced someone who wouldn't be intimidated into silence, and at the same time he couldn't use bluster to make it seem like he at least had as good a case as I did. Simply put Stuart knew absolutely nothing about Islam or the Middle-East, all he had was vague references to "a professor in the original Caliphate" and "people who fought in Afghanistan." He was so ignorant and so wrong that he couldn't even fake knowing what he was talking about.

That is why he ran away bawling and claimed I was a poopyhead with a vendetta.

To make things worse whenever people criticize his Caliphate they bring up my criticisms, they may even quote them. And he's got nothing to say to that. All he can do is talk about "the deranged rantings of Norseman" and try to affect an air of affable superiority. What he can't do is give in an informed response to my original critique, because he just doesn't know enough to do so.

I think that eats away at him, that he lost, that he had to flee, that he was unable to give a good response. I think his fans might feel the same way if they look at our argument. They don't have a response either. So they have to dismiss me without materially dealing with my objections.

Oh Lord yes! That one was hilarious.

But seriously I will make a prediction: They will all laugh about how Stormlord is only 16-17, they will say he's an idiot, laugh more about him being a teen, and never, ever deal with any of his actual objections.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
While part of me would love to leave this mess open, just to see if anyone else wants to jump off the cliff, it is the part of me who I try to ignore.

Locked for the common good of all mankind.

Status
Not open for further replies.