The Republican Empire: A Revolutionary France TL

With the heads of their kings placed on pikes at the english channel, to tell the limeys what awaits them. Blood for the jacobin god.

Aux armes, citoyens,
Formez vos bataillons,
Marchons, marchons !
Qu'un sang impur
Abreuve nos sillons !

From the opening, it sounds like this revolution might actually be successful instead of lapsing back into monarchy like OTL.

The First Republic will survive.

That's one of the few things I am sure will occur ITTL.

Personally if France is able to maintain a pretty Rhine border it's all worth it.

France will retain control over much of Europe in puppet form (but nothing near as close as 1807)

Looking forward to more. What are the dynamics between the different strands of republicanism? Are they are extreme in variation? More solidarity? Less divergence of opinion?

Remember that the US, a very conservative republic, exists.

Right now, as of 1797, republicanism in France extends from Babeuf's communism to Thermidorian conservatism. Also, Sieyes was a very moderate leader IOTL.

And French Piedmont. Don't forget Piedmont.

I'm not sure whether such border regions will be part of France or will be puppets. But it will either be indirectly or directly under French control.

1807 borders best borders

Look above. </serious>

Vive la France!!!!

And an europe full of republics beyond them With the heads of their kings placed on pikes at the english channel, to tell the limeys what awaits them. Blood for the jacobin god.

Indeed. Vive la République.

No Napoleon and a republican France. Its interesting.

Indeed.

Aux armes, citoyens,
Formez vos bataillons,
Marchons, marchons !
Qu'un sang impur
Abreuve nos sillons !

That sounds dark, especially the "impure blood" line. It's hard to think such gruesome lyrics are in a national anthem.

Despite their evil sounding nature, those words will be heard across Europe ITTL for decades to come. :D Vive la France.

Is monarchiens a name chosen on purpose? It sound like you attached monar to the french name for dog. They would probably call themselve Monarchistes.

Is monarchiens a name chosen on purpose? It sound like you attached monar to the french name for dog. They would probably call themselve Monarchistes.

They're synonyms. By the way, most of the update (all of it before Napoleon's death) is OTL and before the Feuillant faction was organized, they called themselves the more general monarchiens. Don't ask me why, but that's the term they called themselves.

They're synonyms. By the way, most of the update (all of it before Napoleon's death) is OTL and before the Feuillant faction was organized, they called themselves the more general monarchiens. Don't ask me why, but that's the term they called themselves.
They called themselves that to differenciate with the monarchistes who were absolutist.

I think you should be really hardcore for making a TL where the main POD is of a upsetting simplicity: "No Napoleon."

Said that, please proceed.

I like it. I was just thinking there was a dearth of good Revolutionary France timelines. Subscribed!

Thanks for your support. I noticed that too, along with a high number of post-Revolution USA TLs. It's a pity because of how much potential Revolutionary France has.

I think you should be really hardcore for making a TL where the main POD is of a upsetting simplicity: "No Napoleon."

Said that, please proceed.

Indeed. The POD's simple, but will lead to huge butterflies.

What is great is that around that time France did not lack in military talent.
But I am not sure federalism will take off. Many would think federalism is the weakening of the state. And there is nothing wrong with centralized state.
And federalism can screw a country too.

What is great is that around that time France did not lack in military talent.
But I am not sure federalism will take off. Many would think federalism is the weakening of the state. And there is nothing wrong with centralized state.

You're absolutely right. France had many amazing military generals.

As for federalism, apart from this chapter and the half-done Chapter 2, I have no idea what shape this TL will take, except for France having many client states in Western Europe.

Napoleon wanted to be accepted by the others "monarch" that is why he didn't destroy Prussia or carve up Austria when he could. Here the French republic if the revolutionary fervor do not die down and they manage to beat Prussia and Austria they will create sister republics on the corpse of their king.

Napoleon wanted to be accepted by the others "monarch" that is why he didn't destroy Prussia or carve up Austria when he could. Here the French republic if the revolutionary fervor do not die down and they manage to beat Prussia and Austria they will create sister republics on the corpse of their king.

Only Napoleon had that kind of eternal expansionist ideal. Everyone else sought for peace, albeit with strong French gains. France ITTL will never be able to defeat Prussia and Austria like IOTL because it has no desire to do so.

Only Napoleon had that kind of eternal expansionist ideal. Everyone else sought for peace, albeit with strong French gains. France ITTL will never be able to defeat Prussia and Austria like IOTL because it has no desire to do so.

No the revolutionnary republic wanted to export it by force. And there is no way the others ancien regime would want peace with France whose very existence might give revolutionnary idea to their peoples. I would say that this France might be even more expansionist.

No the revolutionnary republic wanted to export it by force. And there is no way the others ancien regime would want peace with France whose very existence might give revolutionnary idea to their peoples. I would say that this France might be even more expansionist.

While the revolutionary republic sought to export the Revolution by force and the other European monarchies sought to destroy France, even IOTL many monarchies sought for peace and France accepted. Of course, France broke this peace leading to another "War of the ____ Coalition", but France and European monarchies most certainly negotiated IOTL.

While the revolutionary republic sought to export the Revolution by force and the other European monarchies sought to destroy France, even IOTL many monarchies sought for peace and France accepted. Of course, France broke this peace leading to another "War of the ____ Coalition", but France and European monarchies most certainly negotiated IOTL.
They negotiated to buy time for the next round. Here without marriage Austria has even less reason to want peace.

They negotiated to buy time for the next round. Here without marriage Austria has even less reason to want peace.

While that's true, eventually either people of the Coalition or the people of France is going to get tired of the constant war and both sides are going to be forced to permanently negotiate.

This is crazy good. I am subscribing. I like to see a very good French Republic survives timeline really. :) Please keep this up.

Wait, what will happen to Napoleon ITTL? Did he really died or something? Sorry, I kind of rushed with my reading. I'll check it out again in the first page.

EDIT: Ok, I've seen it. He was killed and that's the POD. Very interesting.