The Raptor of Spain

I think the last language map for the whole state I posted was post #512, December of 2010! That's quite a time ago. Might be time for an update. Even there, that map only showed which language speakers were in a majority. So places depicted in one color could really only be 51-49%.

I would imagine that "Veknysk/Vekynsk" would be like that of Norn, but with a heavier Brythonic influence. We know Gaelic wouldn't figure, as the Picts beat the Scots early on and stayed free of their influence; so, owing to a lack of direct linguistic evidence, I'm working on the assumption that the Picts spoke a P-Celtic tongue like Welsh or Breton (as many place-names in old Pictland included Old British-style clitics and participles).

And "Spanian" IIRC was like a more Mozarabic-/Lusitanian-influenced Spanish, with heavier Berber vocabulary and quasi-Arabic grammar bugs. Somewhere up-thread, there was some discussion on their "Court" dialect. Apparently there is a melange of Iberian dialects, to boot.
Let me first say that's a great list upthread. I am not good with languages despite speaking English and Spanish, so I appreciate it. Your conception of the Vekynsk/Veknysk language is what I think. I've said before that I am assuming something rather like OTL Norn.

As for the language of the Spaniards, it's called Ispaniesa/Ispañesa encompassing a variety of dialects. The rule base I use when using words in the language for the TL is usually Castillian for the simple reason that Castillian is the dialect of Iberian Spanish I am most familiar with (I speak Mexican Spanish so... !guajolote!). BUt I look at Leonese and Portuguese orthography as well (the fi in fidalgin for a recent example). That aside, there have been some changes since the last time this was discussed. The court language that was more heavily mozarbic/lusitanian with some Arabic constructions and Berber vocabulary saw it's zenith around AD 1000 but has been in decline since then. The greater interactions with the rest of Europe after 1000 and presence in Italy made it's usefulness decline in favor of the vulgar romantic dialects or Latin. I am pretty sure I mentioned in the Amina-arc somewhere that she ended use court language for official documents. They are recorded in one of the vulgar dialects and Latin. Certain vestigial constructions like -vin meaning "daughter of" in the southern peninsula survive.

Printing has laid the foundation for change. I have mentioned that Enrique II was a big booster of books and printing spread out through the state in his time. It also spread internationally. What I didn't mention (never could find a place it fit) was that toward the end of his reign a commission was formed to try and standardize the languages, or at least to create an official government base.

The " ñ " provides a good example of the existing confusion. Right now, ñ is used as in OTL for the nasal consonant (anno > año) but in certain regions with more Germanic influence can also substitute for "ni." To someone from alt-Toledo hearing this, it would sound like if you pronounced the English onion as onyon. You can usually understand it spoken, but it sounds different and the word looks quite strange.

Certain name changes that I've used are a result of the evolving language, such as Balyon to Baiona.

I actually did write down more concrete rules on paper after a discussion with LSCatilina a while back, which I will try and find.

I think the last language map for the whole state I posted was post #512, December of 2010! That's quite a time ago. Might be time for an update. Even there, that map only showed which language speakers were in a majority. So places depicted in one color could really only be 51-49%.

Hmm, a language map would indeed be of great interest to somebody like me (not to say I don't enjoy your prose or storytelling, just that the linguistic implications of this TL is what drew me to it in the first place; being a pro. linguist does that to you, I suppose :p).

As for the language of the Spaniards, it's called Ispaniesa/Ispañesa encompassing a variety of dialects. The rule base I use when using words in the language for the TL is usually Castillian for the simple reason that Castillian is the dialect of Iberian Spanish I am most familiar with (I speak Mexican Spanish so... !guajolote!)...Printing has laid the foundation for change. I have mentioned that Enrique II was a big booster of books and printing spread out through the state in his time. It also spread internationally. What I didn't mention (never could find a place it fit) was that toward the end of his reign a commission was formed to try and standardize the languages, or at least to create an official government base.

I had figured that, until this point, the Iberian language(s) was largely pluricentric, due to the competing Vulgar Latin and Arab-Berber influences of the land. The fact that the language has evolved thusly makes sense, as more of a dialect continuum rather than considering the Ispaniesa of Toledo and that of Catalunia to be different languages (of course, Spanish and Portuguese IOTL are ridiculously similar in many ways, learning the latter didn't take much doing at all compared to picking up French or Dutch). The fact that the "f > h" transformation didn't occur ITTL might ease the formation of a pan-Kingdom "language" in places like Africa, Minorca, Sardinia, etc. as pretty much all other Romance languages retained the "f" in words like that.

Incidentally, if a standard dialect (and means of spelling same) can be established by this time, they'd be ahead of OTL by a good stretch (Old Spanish spelling and phonology hung in there until about the early 18th. century).

The " ñ " provides a good example of the existing confusion. Right now, ñ is used as in OTL for the nasal consonant (anno > año) but in certain regions with more Germanic influence can also substitute for "ni." To someone from alt-Toledo hearing this, it would sound like if you pronounced the English onion as onyon. You can usually understand it spoken, but it sounds different and the word looks quite strange.

Gotta love odd spelling/speaking trends :cool:. I assume the "Hachacero" left its mark on the language through the "ni" element, which may be reinforced due to Francian settlement to the north.

Bit of a Scandinavian-wank, bit of a Spain-wank...the Byzantines aren't doing too badly if this is the 1200s. Are the Magyars Muslim or Christian? How about the Russian states?

Bruce

Bit of a Scandinavian-wank, bit of a Spain-wank...the Byzantines aren't doing too badly if this is the 1200s. Are the Magyars Muslim or Christian? How about the Russian states?

Bruce
Yes, Spain is the "hero" country in the sense the TL is from their PoV and most of the things that could go right for them, have. Though looking at it, if a few things go right for Francia, it's going to end up as a Francia-wank.

Magyars are Orthodox Christians, Russian states mostly Roman Catholic except for Kyiv which is Orthodox.

Celtic languages. Irish Gaelic is strong and varieties of other Celtic languages survive along the western coasts of OTL Wales and Scotland but not in Cornwall. The Breton language is alive and well but the Francian government language (old Dutch with a little more latin influence) is also spoken. As long as Francia doesn't take outright control of the territory upper class Bretons will continue to be bilingual, but perhaps they might speak it with a Francian accent but I'd have no idea what that would sound like!

Also Pictish probably survives in the highlands.

Your TL is really good and since we're speaking about languages I will comment about it.
Concerning the breton language, I don't think it could be spoken west of Nantes and rennes and having it spoken in the cities is somewhat of a stretch, but the Irish may have uphold Breton in opposition to Gallo. What would be the most plausible would be to have the upper class being bilingual in Breton and Gallo (or Latin) because they need the eastern part of the country. Speaking if it, how does the Roman catholics of Touraine and Anjou fare with those "barbarians" of Bretons? The relationship was never that great in OTL.
Secondly, why isn't Latin the language of administration in Francia? And what is the status of the oïl languages? Since they are attested since the ninth century, they didn't go away, did they?
Another point is : what is the name and status of occitan? It would be spoken in Anticolissa, northern spana, southern Francia and provence. They would surely understand each other but without the troubadours and the prestige it had in otl, would they think they speak the same language?

And are you sure dalmatians would be latinized croats? The "slavisation" happened really early (eighth century) and even if city dwellers spoke a Romance language, the majority in the rural areas would speak slav.

All in all it is always a pleasure to read what you write and I can't wait to see when new players will enter in America.

Your TL is really good and since we're speaking about languages I will comment about it.
Concerning the breton language, I don't think it could be spoken west of Nantes and rennes and having it spoken in the cities is somewhat of a stretch, but the Irish may have uphold Breton in opposition to Gallo. What would be the most plausible would be to have the upper class being bilingual in Breton and Gallo (or Latin) because they need the eastern part of the country. Speaking if it, how does the Roman catholics of Touraine and Anjou fare with those "barbarians" of Bretons? The relationship was never that great in OTL.
Secondly, why isn't Latin the language of administration in Francia? And what is the status of the oïl languages? Since they are attested since the ninth century, they didn't go away, did they?
Another point is : what is the name and status of occitan? It would be spoken in Anticolissa, northern spana, southern Francia and provence. They would surely understand each other but without the troubadours and the prestige it had in otl, would they think they speak the same language?

And are you sure dalmatians would be latinized croats? The "slavisation" happened really early (eighth century) and even if city dwellers spoke a Romance language, the majority in the rural areas would speak slav.

All in all it is always a pleasure to read what you write and I can't wait to see when new players will enter in America.
I'm glad you like my TL and I'll try to answer any questions you might have. You make a number of good points. The Irish did support the Breton language as a way to differentiate them from Francia. The upper class are bilingual in a Gallo-Romance with less Latin influence than OTL. The new influence isn't from the Breton language but from the Francian, the relationship is closer in style to Norman-French and Gallo in OTL. The Bretons are Roman Catholics so religiously they're roughly on the same page. Regarding their relations, as you said they're not the best but.... stay tuned I was actually planning on addressing that relationship a bit in a future update.

Latin isn't the language of administration for a few reasons. By now, there are large numbers of court functionaries that aren't churchmen and as in OTL, they usually find it more comfortable to speak their native language than Latin. Pronunciation difficulties in regional Latin have still cropped up making it less effective. Finally with the administration reaching into levels where people were less educated communication in vulgar languages was necessary. I should add that many documents are recorded in both languages, and correspondence is often in Latin. So the usual language of the court is Francian. The d'oil languages still survive, but are reduced with only a mixed presence in the north (channel coast) and a border farther west than OTL, probably not extending much past Champagne.

You are spot on in where Occitan is spoken. However without Dante, they are generally known as "Catalan" languages in this TL. Compared with OTL there was a briefer prestige period for the language--Spañan queen Azalais (d. 998) spoke it natively and lived in that period--and it's split into east and west. Provence and Godosa (Septimania) speak the eastern, Tolosa, the Military District of Castille and points west speak the other. While the speakers of "the Catalan tongues" consider themselves to speak different languages, they are still mutually intelligible with minor effort. BTW, do you have any ideas as to what a language based around Toulouse/Tolosa would be called? If the languages/dialects differentiate more there might be a place for renewed prestige centered on Toulouse or maybe even Angouleme (Ancolissa).

Finally the Croats do speak a Slavic language, but by Latinized I mean that the coast is culturally otherwise very close to Italy and the coast has all the political power. Slavic languages are spoken in much of the Balkans and parts of the Danube area (Bulgarians are mostly Greek speakers these days) but politically they are all subordinate.

Thanks again, and as I said above I am not the best with linguistics. I'm open to corrections, suggestions and ideas on this front.

Last edited:
Whatever you do, I beseech you not retcon the Francian language as is; that's not to say that there shouldn't be any langues d'oil around, but I find the predominance of Frankish in *France to be a refreshing change from most TLs around. Besides, as long as the POD reaches back to the Carolingians, there shouldn't be too much difficulty in pre-empting Gallo-Roman there as the "prestige language" and retaining Frankish/Francian as the main tongue.

Sadly, while Breton does survive yet, I cannot help but agree that Gallo will influence their language as well. I await your new update eagerly!

I'm glad you like my TL and I'll try to answer any questions you might have. You make a number of good points. The Irish did support the Breton language as a way to differentiate them from Francia. The upper class are bilingual in a Gallo-Romance with less Latin influence than OTL. The new influence isn't from the Breton language but from the Francian, the relationship is closer in style to Norman-French and Gallo in OTL. The Bretons are Roman Catholics so religiously they're roughly on the same page. Regarding their relations, as you said they're not the best but.... stay tuned I was actually planning on addressing that relationship a bit in a future update.

Latin isn't the language of administration for a few reasons. By now, there are large numbers of court functionaries that aren't churchmen and as in OTL, they usually find it more comfortable to speak their native language than Latin. Pronunciation difficulties in regional Latin have still cropped up making it less effective. Finally with the administration reaching into levels where people were less educated communication in vulgar languages was necessary. I should add that many documents are recorded in both languages, and correspondence is often in Latin. So the usual language of the court is Francian. The d'oil languages still survive, but are reduced with only a mixed presence in the north (channel coast) and a border farther west than OTL, probably not extending much past Champagne.

You are spot on in where Occitan is spoken. However without Dante, they are generally known as "Catalan" languages in this TL. Compared with OTL there was a briefer prestige period for the language--Spañan queen Azalais (d. 998) spoke it natively and lived in that period--and it's split into east and west. Provence and Godosa (Septimania) speak the eastern, Tolosa, the Military District of Castille and points west speak the other. While the speakers of "the Catalan tongues" consider themselves to speak different languages, they are still mutually intelligible with minor effort. BTW, do you have any ideas as to what a language based around Toulouse/Tolosa would be called? If the languages/dialects differentiate more there might be a place for renewed prestige centered on Toulouse or maybe even Angouleme (Ancolissa).

I'm quite surprised the linguistic border moved so much because in OTL, you can follow pretty much the topology to know the Romano-german border. On the other hand I can imagine that a part of Lorraine along the Moselle could go Germanic but I wonder why the Channel coast would be more germinised than OTL : there is no Normans. As the oïl languages would have drifted away from latin, there would have been a standardisation : Neustrian, Rodanese or Gallian could be the name of it.
Names for the Catalan languages could be Provençal for the eastern variety and Aquitan for the western one. A prestige dialect could be known as Roman too because people from the south of France considered themselves as Romans as opposed to the French in the north.

I'm quite surprised the linguistic border moved so much because in OTL, you can follow pretty much the topology to know the Romano-german border. On the other hand I can imagine that a part of Lorraine along the Moselle could go Germanic but I wonder why the Channel coast would be more germinised than OTL : there is no Normans. As the oïl languages would have drifted away from latin, there would have been a standardisation : Neustrian, Rodanese or Gallian could be the name of it.
Names for the Catalan languages could be Provençal for the eastern variety and Aquitan for the western one. A prestige dialect could be known as Roman too because people from the south of France considered themselves as Romans as opposed to the French in the north.
It's actually not the entire channel coast. Fairly sure Rouen is roughly the western border for Germanization of the language. In large part, the language declined because the territory between the Loire and Channel was subjected to a great deal of fighting between Francia and Aquitaine in the 9th century and was the scene of significant heresy in the 11th and early 12th centuries which was very harshly stamped out. In addition, some colonies from farther east were specifically planted there to ensure loyalty.

Finally FleetMac suggested (and I really like this!) Francian has probably pillaged a number of words from Latin not unlike... English. This probably "softened" the language to some extent and made it a bit more familiar and so easier for it to spread compared the OTL.

Anyhow, I rather like Gallian as an alternate name and I'd like to use that if I could.

It's actually not the entire channel coast. Fairly sure Rouen is roughly the western border for Germanization of the language. In large part, the language declined because the territory between the Loire and Channel was subjected to a great deal of fighting between Francia and Aquitaine in the 9th century and was the scene of significant heresy in the 11th and early 12th centuries which was very harshly stamped out. In addition, some colonies from farther east were specifically planted there to ensure loyalty.

Finally FleetMac suggested (and I really like this!) Francian has probably pillaged a number of words from Latin not unlike... English. This probably "softened" the language to some extent and made it a bit more familiar and so easier for it to spread compared the OTL.

Anyhow, I rather like Gallian as an alternate name and I'd like to use that if I could.

I agree that "Gallian" could work for that Romance dialect, as it still imparts a sense of "Roman-ness" while also maintaining local flavor.

Regarding Francian (which I think should be called as such ITTL, given the higher Latinate influence on the language), I'm thinking basically an inverse figure of OTL English in terms of Romance vs. Germanic vocabulary. So we'd be seeing over 60% of its words being Germanic (prepositions, articles, daily life nouns, certain military or economic terminology, landmarks, etc.) and about 25-30% Romance derived (politics, education, sciences, perhaps some nobility and/or military terms, "formal expressions", etc.).

In terms of how it sounds, I'm thinking something closer to Flemish and Ripuarian/Limburgish (in OTL French, after all, the term francique carolingien or "Carolingian Franconian" refers to that dialect set because it is thought to be the language of the Carolingians, which seems like a nice starting point for the Francian tongue). This would sound much "softer", as you say, compared to Bavarian or traditional German and thus ease its learning.

LANGUAGES! c.1200

In light of the recent discussion. Keep in mind, the borders are a continuum and the colors only represent which language has a majority (+50%) of speakers in an area. For instance, Gallo (Breton Romance) overlaps the Breton-Gallian language border and East Catalan extends into Spaña. For the Francian language, draw a line from Lake Neuchâtel to the edge of the Gallian (blue). From there, everything north of the Aar River is a type of Francian.

In the peninsula:

tUHmKVD.png

Romance Dialects:

yqAAQDb.png

My thanks go to LSCatilina and Fleetmac for their assistance, and Gwenc'hlan for making me think about this again in the first place.

Also, today looks like it's going to storm all day so it's time to sit down and work on the 2.82 update!

The Spanish are going through tough times I take it. Are they close to developing the steam engine though? (given their technological boom in the 9th century etc.)

I'm glad the maps are useful. :)

Grouchio, I don't foresee any steam at this time. Coal is being regularly used as they are running out of wood or need it for construction or paper. What IS happening is an adoption of early scientific methodology to various trades and professions. The spread of the printing press is going to facilitate a knowledge boom this century. We already saw hints of this in Sicily. And of course since the reconciliation in the 1180s, the water-powered mills in the Ebro and north of the Pyrenees have continued to expand and in quantity and quality. They are ahead of the Francian industries in the low countries right now.

Last edited:

2.82 -- Audiences

The great audience chamber in Al-Askar was again in use as it had not been since the death of Hisham. Sunlight fell through high windows over packed galleries and a main floor that was a sea of faces. From his position a step below the dais at the far end of the room, Jalal surveyed the assembled courtiers chatting in small groups. Behind him on a dais was a backless chair reserved for the boy ruler he “served.” Above him a large copula drew the attention of the neophytes in the galleries, but even a few of courtiers glanced up at times. After the first time he visited the chamber to proclaim his regency, Jalal had admired it in quiet awe.

Around the rim of the dome dozens of figures were depicted. Each wore the white of the hajj, but each held or wore a decoration that proclaimed their identity. Caliphs, prophets and mighty kings of history. Umar ibn Abd al-Aziz, Ali, Ibrahim, Isa and Harun ar-Rashid to name only a few. Each was surrounded by a halo of flames to obscure their faces. Each was shown in a posture of submission. Above them brushed with silver and gold dust were written the 99 Names in a style so elaborate they almost defied intelligibility. They swirled around walls of the dome circling to a center point which held... nothing. The blessed and the strong, dynamic, leading to the Names that flowed into the divine, serene void to culminate in the oneness of God.

A few of the clerics called it blasphemous. They claimed the scene distracted from proper contemplation, but Jalal thought them fools. Meditating upon the dome was an experience in transition from the actions of everyday life and left you standing alone before the divine.

For now Jalal did not even look. He might before he left. Today he was focused on those actions of everyday life. Clustered together at the front of the gathering were thirty men who stood out from the rest. Most were a Makurian embassy sent by the eparch of Dongola for King Istabanos II. Many had recognizably Arab features but darker. Jalal allowed them to bear some light weapons into the chamber to assuage any concerns. His own men were scattered through the hall, the gallery and hidden beyond the curtain behind the dais. He had high hopes for negotiations with them. With the Makurians were more strange and exotic people, one he’d only heard of, men of lesser height but very dark. An embassy from the Cholas of India.

According to his information, the Chola Empire in India had made vassals of small villages on the African coast south of the Horn to treat more directly with their suppliers. The ships of the Cholas were larger and more robust than anything the Arabs around the Red Sea could muster, though some of Jalal’s ships in the Mediterranean were close. In any case, they’d been able to substantially increase the trade between India and Africa. Consequently, the Cholas spent some money and influence to make it possible for a small group to spend the time between monsoon seasons in some comfort in Africa. What exactly Raghunatha Ramesh and his compatriots wanted was still not clear to him and he had little time to find out.

The Eastern Empire was in motion. Pirates he supported observed concentrations of ships gathering in several ports along the Anatolian coast. He no longer doubted that it would be a major expedition and that meant that Muhammad ibn Qasi of Damascus had triumphed over Nasir. He had not heard the details but it was no secret that the relationship between the two was in tension broken by the occasional quarrel. If it was decided... Those near him could see his slight smile.

Now is the moment.

He nodded and one his courtiers brought the envoys forward. Jalal could see Raghunatha’s eyes carefully studying everything. Jalal would have to be on his guard in the future but being more open could be beneficial for the moment. He stepped down from the dais for a quick symbol of his official submission to the “caliph” and the practical need to reach a place where the acoustics of the room allowed for some privacy. The courtiers continued their talk with a barely perceptible pause but he knew they were straining to listen. They were still unsure of how to handle him.

“Be welcome Susenyos,” Jalal said. “I regret the caliph could not attend, but the demands of state weight heavily on him yet. He spoke favorably of you after the formal introduction.”

Susenyos smiled blandly. “All health to the caliph, but the attention of the Sahib al-bab[1] is enough.” He paused. There was a brief commotion at the back of the room and a dull thud followed by a low cry. It was an opening of sorts. That Susenyos took it revealed his urgency. “I see that you have brought a number of bedouin leaders today. They troubled us greatly during the rule of the last caliph.”

I would not be surprised.

They were in the back mostly, with a few of the favored chieftains closer. There was some scuffling back there as they jockeyed for precedence but Muizz’s deputy was back there in case of real trouble with the bedouin. He might be willing to wager the Berbers living in the mountains were more civilized. In the generation prior to his arrival, drier conditions in Egypt led to a reduction in yields. The grain regularly bought by the Makurians saw a reduction in quantity and an increase in cost. Makurian weakness encouraged the bedouin to launch regular raids into the territory carrying off slaves and goods. Territory was lost.

“They’re a troublesome group,” he agreed. “But they have their uses.”

“You do intend to take them north,” Susenyos said. “You will be moving quickly then.”

“Very. Events have become propitious before God and I dare not defy Him.”

Susenyos only nodded, a practiced diplomat, but out of the corner of his eye he saw Raghunatha’s mouth twitch. That was a surprise. He had not known the Indian had that good Arabic, though he rather thought sarcasm was much the same in any language.

“I’ll not keep you from it,” Susenyos said. “But let me thank you for pulling back from Qasr Ibrim.”

The bedouin had seized that outpost at the time of Hisham’s ascension; Jalal forced them out. He wanted no trouble from the south for now. The bedouin were angry but he was going to assuage them very soon. Susenyos had two goals, get Jalal to keep the bedouin in line, and to make sure food shipments south continued. Jalal could do the first but wasn’t sure of the second. Profits were important but you can’t eat gold.

Susenyos introduced the Chola envoy to him as Raghunatha Ramesh Mudali but the envoy immediately said something and he corrected himself to Raghunatha Ramesh. Raghunatha bowed his head briefly and said a few words in moderately bad Arabic, attempting to downplay his level of understanding. Susenyos demonstrated a command of the language. Most of the conversion was diplomatic pleasantries but Raghunatha kept hinting at something. As the time came for his announcement, he agreed to meet with the Chola envoy again privately afterwards.

Muizz’s deputy Falak was escorting a few of the bedouin elders forward. Some were men who had been in the back of the room. While apparently chosen at random, Jalal had carefully selected them before hand. Knowing who to insult was almost as important as knowing who to be polite to with the bedouin. Jalal greeted them personally then mounted the dais to stand before the empty chair.

From the dais he proclaimed the campaign against Nasir and mentioned the chosen elders by name as men who would play important roles as army commanders. They preened under the attention, and he had to fight down a laugh. Not all the bedouin were so easily manipulated, but those who weren’t had been with him for years. They knew and valued his capabilities and would keep the rest in line long enough to do what was necessary. Now he announced the names of the men who would rule Egypt in his stead. Notably absent was Shahid ad-Din, the former commander. Jalal had other plans there.

“Let the sons of the desert and the sons of the steppes ride together on the winds of war! Let us draw our swords together and so--God willing--spill the soft city blood of Nasir al-Matin and the traitor, Ibn Qasi of Damascus!”

* * * * *​

That night Jalal slipped away from the celebrations. His own men would remain within their limits and if the bedouin over-indulged or acted badly they would be restrained and made to know their place. In his office, he put the final touches to the orders that would send Shahid and his men west to take charge of Tunis and the operations against the Spaniards. Jalal had no fear that Shahid would usurp him there as Ibn Altun had done to the Makanids. Tripoli held too many of his own adherents for that. Besides, Shahid would take care of that problem for him when he failed to stop the Spaniards. His own reports had the commander down there as respectably skilled, and somehow, the Spaniards had managed to herd the Berbers together politically. Shahid was going to lose--had he any great chance of victory, Jalal wouldn’t have sent him.

He arched a brow when Raghunatha Ramesh was announced and he entered the office alone, his own men waiting outside.

“You don’t need an interpreter.”

“You already knew, no one else will know,” the Chola envoy replied. Unlike the rooms used for state functions, offices in Al-Askar tended to have comfortable benches and raised work desks. It was the legacy of the western influences on the Makanids, but for Jalal it was not uncommon. Raghunatha sat comfortably on a couch against the wall, playing with one of the fountain pens from Jalal’s desk. “You’ll be leaving in a few days? A fast departure.”

“When you act, act decisively. I have not interfered in the shipping agreements you had with the previous regime and my naval capacity is superior to theirs. The Makurians don’t wish to antagonize me by going pirate and I will be cracking down on Yemen’s brigands eventually. So for what other reason would you come?”

“Curiosity,” Raghunatha responded. “I was not born to command but I find myself looked to here in the west. I do well enough.”

Jalal had heard some rumors of how far Chola ships had explored the African coast and wondered why the Chola king had authorized it. Now Jalal suspected he hadn’t. But there had to be more to this visit than that. Raghunatha took pity on him.

“Your enemies have enlisted the help of the Romans, but you remained unconcerned.” For a moment Jalal was confused then realized he must have meant the Roman Emperor.[2]

“I would be a fool not be concerned. But I must do what I can do. Whatever I can do.”

Raghunatha’s eyes focused on him and he stopped toying with the pen.

“The Persians have recently begun to impose upon our allies south of Sind with surprising success. They wish to take more of the trade with the west. The king may have to take a hand himself soon. This country has often clashed with the Persians, and I seek what assistance could be had on their other border. I see now that this might have been premature. Recently there have been certain developments that have helped us become pre-eminent, but when we fight the Persians things may be more evenly matched than for some time.”

Jalal carefully kept his face expressionless. He had no idea what the Chola envoy meant.

Raghunatha shrugged. “I wonder what you can do... But today, at least you can offer us nothing.”

“Not now no. In a few years...” Now it was Jalal’s turn to shrug. “Will you return to the south? I can spare a ship if yours could not remain.”

“Things are as well in hand as they can be and the king will be sending someone more qualified soon. Though we seek no dominion here than we already have. A few centuries ago there was a man of our country who traveled in the west. When he returned, he told some strange and fascinating tales. Damascus features in them, but other places too. Come to mention it, I might like to take you up on that offer of a ship soon. But westbound not east. I have always wanted to visit the Romans and... Tell me, have you ever heard of a land called Spaniya?”

[2]For Jalal, “Romans” usually means “Italians who aren’t Spaniards” but “Roman Emperor” is the ruler in Constantinople. "Romans" can still mean the Eastern Empire as a whole as well, but Jalal just misread the context.​

Author’s Notes:
Well this ended up being a drama update, but events and hints were sprinkled throughout. The text itself runs a little long but most of that is conversations so it shouldn't be that text heavy. Next time we will definitely see Jalal at war.

Awesome map.
But it looked as the Ispañesa is eating the core of the Porto-Galician.

Sadly in this TL it will not be a court language as it was in OTL in Portugal, or of the Culture (secular lyric) as it was in the time of Alfonso X of Castile-Leon, well know troubadour in Galician-Portuguese.