The Q-BAM Improvement and Core Thread

Well, you know that there are lakes in the Chinese mainland and also Tonle Sap in Cambodia. I could try to draw it in, but I'm merely a rookie compared to you guys.:eek:

I've been meaning to do that lake in Cambodia as well as the two in Eastern China actually.

That and the lake in Albania and Montenegro.

Yeah, that.

All the times I've looked at it on maps, I've never thought to look up what its name was. :p

I always have trouble telling if lakes are big enough to go on the map. I ummed and erred over Lake Taymyr for ages, and that's massive.

I always have trouble telling if lakes are big enough to go on the map. I ummed and erred over Lake Taymyr for ages, and that's massive.

As a rule, if it's on the CS Basemap, it's big enough for the Q-BAM.

In general, if it's big enough to be visible at scale, than it should go on the map, unless doing so would harm the quality of the map by overtly blocking out another feature.

Last edited:
While we're making a list of lakes that need to be added (by me, if no one else gets there first): Lake Kariba; Smallwood Reservoir; Lake Volta; Kuybyshev Reservoir.

While we're making a list of lakes that need to be added (by me, if no one else gets there first): Lake Kariba; Smallwood Reservoir; Lake Volta; Kuybyshev Reservoir.

Aditionally Lake Nasser and its associated lakes (Egypt), Lake Biwa (Japan) and maybe the Ukrainian Reservoirs (which should'nt be on the CS map), if they don't just look like black lines and clumps with only a pixel or two of water.

As a rule, if it's on the CS Basemap, it's big enough for the Q-BAM.

In general, if it's big enough to be visible at scale, than it should go on the map, unless doing so would harm the quality of them map by overtly blocking out another feature.

Well then it's also a matter of looking at which ones are shown on the Worlda and shouldn't be. Some of those may be okay to go on the Qbam, but some might be even too small for that.

Well then it's also a matter of looking at which ones are shown on the Worlda and shouldn't be. Some of those may be okay to go on the Qbam, but some might be even too small for that.

Indeed, hence my assertion that the Ukranian Reservoirs, Lake Nasser and those Reservoirs in Central-West and South-West Russia should'nt be on the CS Basemap.

But that's a topic for the appropriate thread. :p

Indeed, hence my assertion that the Ukranian Reservoirs, Lake Nasser and those Reservoirs in Central-West and South-West Russia should'nt be on the CS Basemap.

But that's a topic for the appropriate thread. :p

Hey, I just made them, it was other people who agreed they worked. I wasn't sure. :eek:

Are the Finland lakes even doable?

Yes, I've seen maps of the same scale that include them, but it would probably be a 6 hour project.

Incidentally, something I'd like to see done is the Aland archipelago, as it is only the main isalnd is shown, however in reality the area between it and the Finnish mainland is full of so many islands it's looks like it's connected to it.

Here's Tonlé Sap in Cambodia:

IfNx7.png

EDIT: And here's Tai Lake in China:

EQvtX.png

Last edited:
Why is Redonda shown on the map? (Or am I just using an outdate one? :eek:)

No, it's there. There are smaller islands depicted, I'm sure, though the Caribbean is a little overcrowded (I despair at the congestion around St. Martin/Sint Maarten).

Trying to do Poyang Lake, which was the largest freshwater lake in China. But it's largely dried up now (thanks to the construction of the Three Gorges Dam), and I'm struggling to find some sort of 'before and after' satellite picture to go on. While I can make an estimate from google (the map shows the old extent, the satellite shows the reduced state) because there are seasonal variations, and because I can't tell when the satellite image was taken, I don't know how accurate it is.

EDIT: Okay.

1) A historic patch for Jiangxi Province, with the old extent of Poyang Lake, probably before 2010:

QfUQ9.png

2) A patch for Jiangxi Province with the new extent, probably since 2010:

UUJRD.png

Both patches make an alteration to the northern border of Jiangxi Province.

Last edited:
No, it's there. There are smaller islands depicted, I'm sure, though the Caribbean is a little overcrowded (I despair at the congestion around St. Martin/Sint Maarten).

I made a patch fixing (in my eyes, anyway) St. Martin/Sint Maarten, the rest of the Netherlands Antilles, Montserrat, St. Kitts and Nevis, Saint Barthelrmy, etm. for a map for The Union Forever a few months ago, but I can't find it now. I'll keep looking.

I made a patch fixing (in my eyes, anyway) St. Martin/Sint Maarten, the rest of the Netherlands Antilles, Montserrat, St. Kitts and Nevis, Saint Barthelrmy, etm. for a map for The Union Forever a few months ago, but I can't find it now. I'll keep looking.

Sounds excellent. The Caribbean hadn't struck me as being particularly wrong, per se, but if you think it can be improved I welcome your input!

Here's Hongze Lake in Jiangsu:

kfTfd.png