The Presidential Election of 1974

The 25th Amendment or its Presidential succession provison is not passed (perhaps JFK not shot perhaps just no agreement)

Watergate and the Agnew scandal happen as in OTL.

Democrats do not want to look like they are stealing the White House so they pass an act providing for a new election on a double vacancy,

Who runs? Whowins?

Does the pattern of the Presidential term change?

Well, if JFK was wise to avoid Dallas, then he would win the 1964 Election easily. Vietnam would spoil Camelot though in 1968 and Nixon would win. As for 1974, dunno.

Assuming Kennedy shot (because otherwise Watergate/Agnew are going to be butterflied away) and the Amendment fails or isn't proposed for other reasons:

'64 happens as in OTL. Goldwater and Rockefeller destroy the Republican party and Goldwater comes out on top just in time to be crushed by Johnson.

'68 happens as in OTL. Rockefeller supports Romney but Nixon has carefully built up his organization and crushes Romney. Rockefeller jumps in and out and Nixon wins.

Meanwhile Johnson gets handed a marginal victory in the opening primaries and withdraws his name from the running. Humphrey is now the leader but since he's constrained by Johnson he only musters a marginal victory against McCarthy. McCarthy/McGovern/others force through the rule changes for the next Democratic primary/convention.

'72 Still mostly in OTL since the butterflies from not passing the 25th Amendment remain tiny. Nixon easily wins the nomination and crushes McGovern who wins the Democratic nomination.

Watergate and Agnew and butterflies matter. The Speaker, Carl Albert, calls for a general election in '74. Without the Amendment I don't know who's the vice-president.

This seems reasonable:
Nixon resigns and Speaker Albert assumes the presidency. He announces he has no right to it as a Democrat (as he stated he would IOTL). He, or rather the RNC I imagine, nominates a VP and Speaker Albert steps down.

Would it still be Ford? Don't know. Ford or Rockefeller are likely. Regardless is that he becomes the President after Albert resigns. The VP slot will likely remain empty. This would make Tip O'Neill the Speaker of the House as well since Albert must resign in order to become President.

'74 Reagan is almost certainly the likely nominee on the Republican side. Rockefeller may put up a fight but he's lost in '60, '64, and '68 and I imagine the guy is pretty tired but he may be the President for a bit so that could be a boost. There really isn't a lot of other major Republican figures at this time.

For the Democrats? I'm unsure. Albert won't run. It's probably too early for Carter but he be in.

McGovern may run, but I can't imagine him winning.

Jerry Brown isn't California Governor yet so he's out.

Jackson will run and if Humphrey says he's not running he may get more labor support and do better.

That said Humphrey may well run, but I can't see him winning.

Frank Church will be in.

Who will win? I really don't know. The field is wide open.

If there is a special election in 1974, I suspect the Democrats win it unless they nominate an absolutely dreadful candidate, and I doubt they would. Watergate would be fresh in people's minds, the economy is weak -- I don't see how the Democrats lose. Look how well they did in the '74 midterms.

How are the respective party nominees chosen? It would probably depend on when Carl Albert becomes president. I assume we're still saying that Nixon resigns August 9, 1974. If an election is called for November 1974, I assume there's no time to have primaries. The DNC and RNC pick their respective candidates -- with input from party leaders around the country.

The Democrats' candidate certainly isn't McGovern, after his 1972 debacle. But it could be Muskie or Humphrey. Sensing victory, the Dems would go for a safe, seasoned choice. I doubt it's Ted Kennedy, because scandal (Chappaquidick) is the last thing the Democrats or the country want.

Carter isn't the presidential nominee, but it seems to me he'd be a logical candidate for vice president. Carter, Reuben Askew, or a moderate "New South" leader would be a good way to balance the ticket.

I doubt the Republicans pick Reagan or Rockefeller. Fair or not, Reagan was perceived as a Goldwater conservative. He's seen as too conservative in 1974. Rockefeller is too liberal. The Republicans know Reagan would alienate the Rockefeller wing, and Rockefeller would alienate the Reagan wing. Since the GOP is in the minority, it can't afford to do that.

I think the GOP nominates someone in the middle. Howard Baker, a hero as a result of Watergate, has the squeaky-clean image the party needs.

Of course, if polls show a disaster for the Republicans, and a certain defeat, maybe no Republican wants the '74 nomination.

The fact is, there is no special election. If the 25th Amendment didn't exist, Congress would create it when Nixon quit and Albert took over. Albert would then nominate a Republican -- as he promised to do in real life -- and that Republican would become president. It's easier than creating a special presidential election out of thin air.

Crud. I forgot Baker. You're right, he'd be the guy. He'd then lose, and I imagine Reagan would win in '78 though I may be wrong.

Frankly I think there would be a special election, but I can see the argument against. Anyway my (expanded) version of events:

No 25th Amendment means Nixon would resign earlier—he has no VP and for all his faults Nixon never meant to divide the nation. In both 1968 and '72 he choose to run quite principled, he likely could have had 2-5 million more votes in '68 if he hammered Johnson on the flipping of the Vietnam peace and he very carefully and deliberately stayed away from Wallace voters. To be fair Humphrey could have jumped on Ann Chennault (who was not being run by Nixon) and probably won in '68.

Anyway. With Agnew gone on 10 October 1973 let's say Nixon realizes he has no VP and with no 25th Amendment in place he talks to Carl Albert. Nixon resigns for the good of the nation and Carl Albert, in his last act before resigning from Congress, announces that 1974 will see a special election and calls on Congress to conduct the constitutional changes required. This will become this timeline's version of the 25th Amendment.

Carl Albert becomes president of the United States on the 8th of November, 1973 (symbolism :) and nominates (under the RNC's urging) one Howard Baker to Vice-President of the United States.

By the end of the November the 25th Amendment to the US Constitution has been passed[1] and a special election to the presidency will be held in 1974 and for every 4 years following that.

President Carl Albert then resigns from office, and President Howard Baker is sworn on.

The New Hampshire primary and the Iowa caucus are mere months away.

By default Howard Baker is the leading Republican candidate. Both the Draft Reagan and Draft Rockefeller movements run into the candidates complete unwillingness to run following Watergate. Howard Baker accepts the bullet for the party and goes down into defeat with his head held high.

On the Democratic side we have:
Humphrey, Muskie, Draft Kennedy, McGovern (he's now validated in his '72 Nixon corruption charge), Henry 'Scoop' Jackson (he ran in both '72 and '76 and did ok both times), Frank Church

As Tgibbs says the 'safe' candidate has a huge lead. Humphrey or Muskie most likely, but I could see Church and Jackson both doing well and being likely VPs.

The thing with Humphrey is that he's a loser and an old 'New Deal' liberal at this point in time. This will probably hamper him.

Muskie has the 'crying' thing to get over from '72.

Neither Church or Jackson are that well known.

McGovern got his ass kicked in '72.

Kennedy has scandal.

Are there any other national Democratic figures at this point in time? Carter's I still can't see (again I agree with Tgibbs in his being a high up there VP candidate) and Jerry Brown who I'd see as one of the leading guys isn't California Governor yet.

Carl Albert won't run. Speaker O'Neill just became Speaker so he's probably fine where he is.

Hmm… Actually what about Morris 'Mo' Udall? He did well in 1976, he's liberal enough to win the primary and a much more modern liberal than Humphrey as well as a better speaker than Muskie (who'd be another good VP match for him), he's from Arizona… I like him. He may well win.

Anyway.

Whoever the Democratic nominee is he'll in 1974. Easily.

1978 is another matter. Here Reagan will surely win the Republican nomination and if Mo Udall is the Democratic nominee he's rather liberal for the times (with no anti-Nixon boost). He may not run, and if he does he may be Johnson'd in the early primaries and withdraw.

[1] The 25th Amendment to the United States Constitution covers the resignation or death of a sitting President with no Vice-President.

In short: the Speaker of the House will assume the office of the Presidency. He will then nominate for the Vice-Presidency a candidate chosen by the National Committee for the Party of the previous President.

The President will then resign. The Vice-President will assume office, nominate a Vice-President (see below) and serve out the reminder of the term.

Vice-Presidents may now be nominated by a sitting President with no Vice-President as long as he is under no reasonable threat of criminal charges or impeachment hearings—if he is he may not nominate a Vice-President.

There will be a special election on the 8th of November, 1974 for the office of the President of the United States.

There will be no further special elections except under extraordinary circumstances and all future US Presidential elections will occur every four years from 1974 onwards.

Last edited:
No 25th Amendment

Well, in US Government, they always fixed the problem of succession.

If both President and Vice President are gone, then the Speaker of the House becomes President of the United States. So if both President Kennedy and Vice President Johnson were shot, then John McCormack, the Speaker of the House in 1963, would of been president.

If President Kennedy were to survive, then he would have been easily reelected in 1964 against Barry Goldwater. However, Vietnam would bring Kennedy down like it really did with Johnson. Many people assume that Vice President Johnson plotted the assassination of President Kennedy but I believe it was the Soviets. Maybe its good that we don't find out because if we found out who really plotted JFK's assassination, the US would definetely nuke Russia and vice versa.

This would been the presidential listings:

1) Both JFK and LBJ dies:

35) John F. Kennedy
Term: 1961-1963
Party: Democrat

36) John McCormack
Term: 1963-1969

37) Richard Nixon
Term: 1969-1974
Party: Republican

And so on...

2) JFK lives

35) John F. Kennedy
Term: 1961-1969

36) Richard Nixon

37) Gerald Ford
Term: 1974-1977

38) Jimmy Carter
Term: 1977-1981

39) Ronald Reagan
Term: 1981-1989

40) George Bush Sr.
Term: 1989-1993

41) Bill Clinton
Term: 1993-2001

42) George W. Bush
Term: 2001-2009

1) Both JFK and LBJ dies:

35) John F. Kennedy
Term: 1961-1963

36) John McCormack
Term: 1963-1969

37) Richard Nixon

And so on...

2) JFK lives

35) John F. Kennedy
Term: 1961-1969

36) Richard Nixon

37) Gerald Ford
Term: 1974-1977

38) Jimmy Carter
Term: 1977-1981

39) Ronald Reagan
Term: 1981-1989

40) George Bush Sr.
Term: 1989-1993

41) Bill Clinton
Term: 1993-2001

42) George W. Bush
Term: 2001-2009

Uh… The concept of butterflies in alternate history:

The butterfly effect is a phrase that encapsulates the more technical notion of sensitive dependence on initial conditions in chaos theory.

Essentially you change one thing (JFK lives) then you'd change a whole bunch of things, rendering OTL list of presidents invalid.