The Presidency of John F. Kennedy

Asami

Banned
Sehr gut, and yes, Kennedy had planned to throw LBJ out in 1964 and replace him with Sanford

Keep going. I like it. ^_^

I think I'm going to like this thread. While Kennedy is clearly going to be a much worse President than Johnson was I think it's going to be nice to actually experience an idea of what it was like to see JFK survive and not leave such a traumatic legacy for America to endure.

I think I'm going to like this thread. While Kennedy is clearly going to be a much worse President than Johnson was I think it's going to be nice to actually experience an idea of what it was like to see JFK survive and not leave such a traumatic legacy for America to endure.
If you think Kennedy is going to be a much worse President than Johnson (which I think is a certainty), won't it be more traumatic, just in a different way?

So the CRA is out of the House, Kennedy is eager to make good use of his second honeymoon, LBJ is getting into trouble... all sounds right. (The first one is one of those details that always bugged me about pessimistic Kennedy TLs like Greenfield's book, even putting aside the question of how it does in the Senate.) I take it the next post is going to be his State of the Union?

So the CRA is out of the House, Kennedy is eager to make good use of his second honeymoon, LBJ is getting into trouble... all sounds right. (The first one is one of those details that always bugged me about pessimistic Kennedy TLs like Greenfield's book, even putting aside the question of how it does in the Senate.) I take it the next post is going to be his State of the Union?

I wouldn't call Greenfield's book pessimistic. I think he does a pretty good job describing a JFK Presidency after 11/22/63. Not extremely idealistic like Jeff Golden's Unafraid, nor pessimistic and unfair like Bryce Zabel's Surrounded by Enemies.

I wouldn't call Greenfield's book pessimistic. I think he does a pretty good job describing a JFK Presidency after 11/22/63. Not extremely idealistic like Jeff Golden's Unafraid, nor pessimistic and unfair like Bryce Zabel's Surrounded by Enemies.

Sorry, I meant "pessimistic" in terms of Civil Rights.

To tide people over who haven't read the book and are waiting for the next update, here's a little ditty from a satirical news program (TWTWTW) in Greenfield's book about LBJ. It goes to the tune of "The Yellow Rose of Texas":

He's the richest politician
That Texas ever saw,
And he gets even richer,
Every time he writes a law.
How did he get so wealthy
Working for the U.S.A.?
It's really very easy
If your name is LBJ!

Fair enough, but there is a common idea of "Civil Rights would have suffered under JFK" in a lot of alternate history you see (King's novel also comes to mind, but there are others), and it bugs me when its presented in such a broad brush that it ignores what Kennedy himself was able to achieve for the bill. All I'm saying is, if you want Civil Rights to pass under Kennedy, I'm down with that; if you have them fail, at least give credit and have it fail in the Senate.

Anyway, kudos to hc on getting that much right.

This is amazing. Your ability to capture Kennedy's language, hc, is remarkable -- it really read like him, and I've listened to a lot of his public speeches.

The Johnson story is fascinating and I like the foreshadowing there.

I'm very intrigued.