• Queen Mary

Votes: 42 25.8%
  • Normandie

Votes: 44 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 23 14.1%

• Total voters
Welcome to the Ocean Liner thread.
Let's start off with the most famous of them all.
Titanic
3b222904d0b3c503d2cdaa468fc74424.jpg

SsgtC

Banned
For me, I'm partial to the Olympic-class ships. They have absolutely beautiful lines. After that would be Normandie.

For me, I'm partial to the Olympic-class ships. They have absolutely beautiful lines. After that would be Normandie.
I agree.
They were so perfectly proportioned, and we're the lady liners with the low superstructure, compared to the bulky look of Majestic, or Leviathan

SsgtC

Banned
I agree.
They were so perfectly proportioned, and we're the lady liners with the low superstructure, compared to the bulky look of Majestic, or Leviathan
Agreed. I've never been a real big fan of the German liners, though the scroll work they adorned their sterns with is beautiful.

Same for the Cunard ships. Mauritania, Lusitania and Aquitania just never looked right to me

Agreed. I've never been a real big fan of the German liners, though the scroll work they adorned their sterns with is beautiful.

Same for the Cunard ships. Mauritania, Lusitania and Aquitania just never looked right to me
I don't understand why Aquitania is considered so beautiful.
But there is something about Majestic that I like. Maybe just her raw size.

Md139115

Banned
Personally, I always liked the French liners, they have always had such beautiful lines. Everyone talks about Normandie, but consider the France of 1912

France_1912.jpg

Just look at it! And this was a contemporary to the Olympics!

SsgtC

Banned
Personally, I always liked the French liners, they have always had such beautiful lines. Everyone talks about Normandie, but consider the France of 1912

View attachment 345079

Just look at it! And this was a contemporary to the Olympics!

I still prefer the Olympic-class, but she does have nice lines. For me, I think she looks like they tried to do too much on too small a ship. She'd be better proportioned as a 2 or 3 funnel ship rather than 4

I still prefer the Olympic-class, but she does have nice lines. For me, I think she looks like they tried to do too much on too small a ship. She'd be better proportioned as a 2 or 3 funnel ship rather than 4
Indeed, but she was a very luxurious ship.

Anyway, I like Majestic
7d89913b8a05eca15811894fa1c17618--sweet-revenge-steamers.jpg

Md139115

Banned

I agree... but if a French ship was ever perceived as being lesser than an English one, the French people would probably commit mass suicide via asbithne.

Forward superstructure looks a bit awkward on her. If she had a traditional White Star one it be fine, but that's just too... boxy.
I know, but at the same time....There just something. ..massive about her.
She emanates power, majesty, strength

SsgtC

Banned
Forward superstructure looks a bit awkward on her. If she had a traditional White Star one it be fine, but that's just too... boxy.

An artifact of her being a German liner originally (even though she only every sailed under the German flag on her sea trials). Probably cost to much to rebuild the superstructure of a brand new ship.

I agree... but if a French ship was ever perceived as being lesser than an English one, the French people would probably commit mass suicide via asbithne

True. Especially at that time. Once Normandie came along however...

An artifact of her being a German liner originally (even though she only every sailed under the German flag on her sea trials). Probably cost to much to rebuild the superstructure of a brand new ship.
Unlikely that rebuilding thd superstructure even crossed WSL's mind.
Especially considering Leviathan had a massive refit and the Bridge wasn't changed

SsgtC

Banned
I always wondered.
If all three Olympics survived, which would be the most popular?
Britannic?

That would be my guess. At least with First Class. Every FC cabin on Brittanic was to have a private head. Along with several other changes and updates. I don't really get into that on my TL (shameless plug) but that would have been my guess.

Md139115

Banned
That would be my guess. At least with First Class. Every FC cabin on Brittanic was to have a private head. Along with several other changes and updates. I don't really get into that on my TL (shameless plug) but that would have been my guess.

That and the giant pipe organ in the grand staircase would have been cool too. Imagine not only going down it, but going down it as "Amazing Grace" plays in the background.

That and the giant pipe organ in the grand staircase would have been cool too. Imagine not only going down it, but going down it as "Amazing Grace" plays in the background.
Indeed.
There was rumours one was to be fitted to Titanic too, but her delays in construction prevented it from being fitted.
Now, whether it's true or not it's a different matter.