The New World of the White Huns

So what happened to the Slavs?

Assuming you mean Slavs in the Balkans, some (mostly converts and those who intermarried) assimilated into the Xasar, Bolghar, or Turkic culture, others assimilated into Roman culture, and many remain living in the Balkans, where up until recently they were under a separate legal system as detailed in my earlier posts on the subject.

Also, I just want to clarify: I'm more than happy answering questions, and I love talking about this world, but in case you haven't read the timeline yet, it is meant to be read in a linear order, starting with the first thread. This thread isn't meant to be a standalone story, although I hope to some degree it works as such.

There's a link to the first thread in the first post of this thread. I will always do my best to provide recaps and in my posts I try to reference back to other events, because I absolutely don't expect people to remember events that I wrote about four years ago with perfect clarity, but at the end of the day it's gonna be a bit confusing if you don't at least vaguely remember the backstory of how we got here.

Since Egypt will be the subject of one of the next updates: is the Lighthouse of Alexandria still standing? OTL it was damaged by a series of earthquakes over the centuries until its ruins were cleared and a fort built in its place. Perhaps the rulers of Egypt in this TL decide to keep restoring the Lighthouse, or perhaps rebuilding it entirely in their own distinct style.

Another question, although it won't have much impact on the TL and I wouldn't blame you if haven't thought about it at all: has anyone deciphered, or tried to decipher, the hieroglyphs in this TL? I could imagine a Buddhist monk wandering the halls of Karnak wondering if the carvings on the walls mean anything. Such an endeavour would of course be greatly aided by the discovery of something like the Rosetta stone (although that is certainly not the only inscription in multiple languages, there's also the Raphia Decree for example).

Assuming you mean Slavs in the Balkans, some (mostly converts and those who intermarried) assimilated into the Xasar, Bolghar, or Turkic culture, others assimilated into Roman culture, and many remain living in the Balkans, where up until recently they were under a separate legal system as detailed in my earlier posts on the subject.

Also, I just want to clarify: I'm more than happy answering questions, and I love talking about this world, but in case you haven't read the timeline yet, it is meant to be read in a linear order, starting with the first thread. This thread isn't meant to be a standalone story, although I hope to some degree it works as such.

There's a link to the first thread in the first post of this thread. I will always do my best to provide recaps and in my posts I try to reference back to other events, because I absolutely don't expect people to remember events that I wrote about four years ago with perfect clarity, but at the end of the day it's gonna be a bit confusing if you don't at least vaguely remember the backstory of how we got here.
Apologies, it's just very hard to follow this timeline. Also I was asking about the Slavs in general not just the ones in the Balkans.

Since Egypt will be the subject of one of the next updates: is the Lighthouse of Alexandria still standing? OTL it was damaged by a series of earthquakes over the centuries until its ruins were cleared and a fort built in its place. Perhaps the rulers of Egypt in this TL decide to keep restoring the Lighthouse, or perhaps rebuilding it entirely in their own distinct style.

Another question, although it won't have much impact on the TL and I wouldn't blame you if haven't thought about it at all: has anyone deciphered, or tried to decipher, the hieroglyphs in this TL? I could imagine a Buddhist monk wandering the halls of Karnak wondering if the carvings on the walls mean anything. Such an endeavour would of course be greatly aided by the discovery of something like the Rosetta stone (although that is certainly not the only inscription in multiple languages, there's also the Raphia Decree for example).
A quick search reveals that the final nail in the coffin was in 1303 / 1326, where there were earthquakes. So it will be worth mentioning in the post, I presume. Given that lack of substantial maritime threats to Egypt from the north, I presume that maintaining the classical lighthouse will be more worth it. It would be a neat prestige project to rebuild the lighthouse.

I haven't thought about it, but I imagine there have been halting attempts, much as there were throughout history. There are certainly enough monks and other scholars about who would work on it if they could, and the sheer antiquity of Egypt will always invite fascination.

Apologies, it's just very hard to follow this timeline. Also I was asking about the Slavs in general not just the ones in the Balkans.

Not a problem, I just wanted to make sure you were aware. Slavs in general are scattered across all of Eastern Europe, they make up Poland, Moravia, Russia, and others. Giving an overview of the complete history of Slavic peoples is somewhat beyond my means right now, but suffice to say that as in our timeline they've spread widely across the map.

River Valleys
This next post will revolve around two of the great river-valleys of the world, both of which are under the thumb of Sri Lanka to varying degrees.

Watered by the Nile

Prosperity and population growth in Egypt were dependent on a well-organized central government capable of mobilizing the human resources of the land towards maintenance of the elaborate irrigation systems. This in turn allowed for the famously massive agricultural surplus with which Egypt had become associated throughout antiquity. However, most of the medieval rulers of Egypt prior to the Bakhtiyar failed to provide such a system. Accordingly, the population of Egypt and its material wealth remained vast relative to its neighbors, but in absolute terms declined dramatically.

Under the latter Heshanids, the government was largely corrupt and disorganized, and struggled to exert real authority over the landholders. Under the Khardi, the central government was perhaps well-organized enough, but it was devoted wholly to extracting value and had little interest in organizing the political order for the benefit of its subjects. This was exacerbated by the tendency of the large landholders to violently resist Khardi rule in a series of ineffectual rebellions that convinced the Khardi that only brutality would subdue the Nile valley.

Only the arrival of the Bakhtiyar reversed this trend. Although they came to Egypt as warlords, the coalition of Arabs, Eftal, and Tayzig who moved into Egypt had a strong interest in building up their new home as a base of power and wealth for themselves. Instead of ruling as absentee landlords, they had a direct stake, an investment, in the lands of the Nile. The government itself had similar interests - reviving the Canal of the Pharaohs, ensuring that customs taxes (for “protection”) were placed on pilgrims seeking to travel to Jerusalem, and ensuring that textile manufacture (far more lucrative than grain in this era) enjoyed state sponsorship. The subsequent conquest of the Bakhtiyar Mansarids by the Haruniya general Khayam ibn Mehrdata in 1288 led to its integration into a broader Near Eastern Empire in a form more prosperous than it had been in centuries.

Under the Haruniya, the population continued to increase dramatically, as elite investment in irrigation and trade continued to ensure general prosperity for the common, Coptic people. The Bakhtiyar, especially the Haruniya, were also exceedingly pluralistic - willing to patronize the Coptic Church and restore the Cathedral of St. Markos in Alexandria (with Hesanopolis disfavored and in terminal decline, there was little desire to return to the old Heshanid capital which had once been the seat of the Coptic Church). However, much to the dismay of the Coptic Church, the Bakhtiyar were equally willing to recognize and accept the Chalcedonian Church and the Nestorian Church, both of which had small minority communities within Egypt.

The population of Egypt was still majority Christian through the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. That said, Buddhist temples and shrines enjoyed lavish government funding, and monastic communities were sacrosanct under the law. Shrines to Ohrmazd and Mihir were similarly given royal patronage, although the Bakhtiyar themselves were not deity-worshippers. This division might have seemed like a fault line which would lead to inevitable tensions, but by and large it did not. The reason for that, at least initially, can be traced to the enormous tolerance of the Bakhtiyar for Christianity, in sharp contrast to the Khardi persecutions and violence. After this memory faded, the economy was doing too well and prosperity was simply too general for rebellion to occur outside of periods of famine. And such rebellions were always easily put down due to the geography of Egypt, which made moving troops stationed along the Nile extremely easy. This contributed to a notion that the Bakhtiyar were essentially invincible, and given that they made no effort the harm Christians, rebellions gradually tapered off.

The Haruniya themselves, after securing Egypt from the Mansarids, based their ideology of state explicitly on Buddhism. To this end, they had gone to great lengths to cultivate a class of well-educated men and women versed in the Nowbahar and Theravada religious traditions within Egypt itself, who could form the backbone of the bureaucracy. To provide a basis for this school, they recruited widely from the Arabized Ifthal of Syria and the Tayzig monasteries. Yet these scholars, and the Haruniya themselves, were rightly regarded by the common Egyptians as foreigners.

For all this fair treatment, Egypt was never the center of the Haruniya dynasty. Although they had rebuilt the Lighthouse of Alexandria after its collapse in the early fourteenth century, and contributed to a number of major building projects since then, their attention seemed invariably drawn northward. Their heartland and their power was in Syria. Egypt was a colony for the three-to-four generations of Haruniya rule, before the Anarchy at Emesa. The various capitals of the Haruniya were not in Egypt. Iskandara was much too far from the military frontiers of Anatolia and the Caucasus. And yet over the centuries, a new class of educated Tayzig and Arab scholars and warriors had set up shop within Egypt, taking advantage of royal dispensation of land and the patronage of rural bahar (temples) to earn themselves a role as a new aristocracy within the region.

By the middle of the fourteenth century, it was impossible to remember an era when this aristocracy had not existed. And because of their tolerance, their relative competence, and their role in bringing wealth to Egypt, they were well liked even by the Coptic priests and common people. By the fourteenth century the major textile manufacturers and merchants of Egypt were also Buddhist. These professions were dominated by Arabs and Tayzig (who made up a disproportionate percentage of the urban population) and were linked to state patronage and thus to the Nowbahar sects. Thus when the anarchy at Emesa began, the economic and political power of Egypt was far more concentrated in the hands of the Tayzig and Arabs than the Coptic Egyptians.

The Anarchy at Emesa did not upend the fundamental political interests of the Haruniya state. The Ifthal and Arab nobles in Syria had interests that had not fundamentally changed since the collapse of the monarchy, and rallied quickly to Ildirim ibn Mansar, the Turko-Arab warlord who emerged as something between vizier and king after the anarchy. But the Egyptian Tayzig were not so quick to rally around the flag. They distrusted the Syrians and the Haruniya. The Syrians, after all, had been quick to agree to terms which left the Egyptians somewhat in the lurch after the Battle of Barim. It was a lot harder to collect tariffs when whole nations were exempt from taxation. And the Lankans always seemed to get corvee labor to ship their goods overland when the canal was dry, which rankled the Arabs who controlled the caravan trade.

So although Egypt accepted Ilidirm’s rule, it did so grudgingly. Few levies and little wealth was sent northeast when Ilidirm challenged the Iranians to war, and few were surprised when he was annihilated by Jihangir Sah. No sooner did news of the defeat at Kalak in 1353 reach Egypt than the Egyptians - the Tayzig specifically - rose up. They appointed one of their own - Khayam al-Iskandara - to the throne, beginning the Khayamid dynasty. A few of Ilidirm’s officials were assassinated, but by and large the transition of power was peaceful and easily accomplished.

The great problem facing Khayam was a military one. Egypt had no fleet in the Red Sea, not since the Barim. The Anarchy and the reign of Ildirim had not been conducive to shipbuilding to challenge the Sinhalese. The Mediterranean Fleet was strong enough[1] but it was not possible to transfer the Mediterranean Fleet to the Red Sea. Thus, despite whatever promises Khayam made to the merchants, it was simply impossible to face the Lankans. Thus, Khayam made little effort to change the longstanding subordination of Egypt to Lankan commercial interests.

Khayam’s ambitions in Syria were circumscribed. He seized southern Syria, moving as far north as Akka and Dimaskha before stopping his advance. His failure to advance into Northern Syria was perhaps the result of coordination with Jihangir, who by 1355 had strong control over most of the region, or perhaps a result of the Lankans brokering an arrangement that would define the shape of the Near East.

More than any previous ruler, Khayam depended upon the support of the Buddhist temples in Egypt for support. His reign was heavily influenced by the growing “Arab orthodoxy,” and the increasing influence of Sri Lanka on the Buddhist sangha. The monasteries had become involved in everything from textiles to brewing, and Khayam himself was raised in a monastic system. If there had ever been conflict between the bakhtiyar and the sangha or the Nowbahar and the Theravada - and indeed there had - such conflicts were dying with the end of the bakhtiyar era. Khayam and his court were not Nowbahar and the distinction between Nowbahar and Theravada simply had less relevance to him than it did to prior generations. The austere, puritanical world of the Nowbahar had given way to something more cosmopolitan, something which invited the connections of scholarship and trade between South Asia and Egypt.

[1] The Mediterranean Fleet has not been meaningfully challenged in a generation at this point. The Haruniya always had good relations with the Knights of the Sea, and the Xasar threat diminished over the course of the Fourteenth Century (as the Knights of the Sea proved an effective buffer). Still, the fleet based in Alexandria was strong and well-trained, and indicated that the Tayzig priority had always been the Mediterranean.

Ports and Caste in the Vanga

The Vanshi dynasty, founded in 1374 by Candana Vanshi, and best exemplified by his son, Buddhasimha Vanshi were successors to the Pala, more known for their cultural achievements and patronage of vernacular sandesa (messenger) literature[1] than any great military achievements (although they sometimes held their own in border wars with Assam and Magadha). However, Vanga changed markedly during their reign. The rise of the great port of Sonarga and its metropole, Gauda, represented a political and societal commitment to trade and the centralization of political power in the city - a shift from the diffuse centers of political power under Pala-era Vanga, where market-towns, temples, and courts all jockeyed for position in a sprawling heterarchy.

This movement of the center of political authority from the periphery (the distant royal court in Pataliputra) to Gauda had long-lasting repercussions. For one, it concentrated political power in a dense, cosmopolitan city, one where guilds and stock-companies and mobs would have outsized influence. Gauda was a polyglot city teeming with life, home to Syrian Christians, Egyptian Jews, Gujaratis and Tamils, Chinese, Burmese, Tai, Khmer, and countless others. Arabs from Yemen and the Ormuz sailed their fast trading ships in its harbor. It captured the massive flow of seaborne trade across the Bay of Vanga and functioned as an entrepot and shipbuilding hub.

The hinterlands were densely populated but agrarian, producing in addition to food products such unfinished goods as tin, gum, resins, and timber. The major religious and university complexes of Vanga were located in the rural hinterlands, but their students would often as not process back to the capital - the real seat of power and prestige and influence - after their studies were done.

And yet the countryside was not immune to changes. The religious fervor of the countryside was increasingly devoted towards the Buddhas Avalokiteśvara and Manjusri, a devotional trend which had its origin in religious pilgrimages made by Vanga monks to Sri Lanka. Monks would frequently travel to Sri Lanka, many seeking re-ordination and “to be instructed in the correct practices by those with access to authoritative scriptures.”[2] The religious shift towards subordination to Sri Lanka mirrored a trend taking place across the Buddhist world, and one happily encouraged by the newly-powerful Lankan monarchy.

The cataclysmic collapse of the Pala dynasty had left the Vanshi acutely self-conscious of their limited role. It was difficult to claim without irony that they were defenders of the sangha outside of a small, limited region, and the tribute that they paid off and on to their more powerful neighbors emphasized this fact. This lack of prestige perhaps helps explain why they were pulled, more and more, into the political and religious orbit of South India, influenced by ideas coming from the south and tended to adopt traditions and cultural artifacts from outside even as they were in the midst of their own cultural vernacular renaissance.

Thus the Vangan conception of monarchy was particularly limited. The Vanshi family were somewhere between a guild and the larger kinship groups in character (but were explicitly not universal monarchs). They wished to be treated as a lineage who had come to power on their own merits and by virtue of their “perceptive and just administration.” It is also worth noting the near absence of references to the varna in land-grant documents dating to the Vanshi period.[3] Although references are made to “tradesmen” (Kulikas) and “merchants” (vanik) being assigned land (usually a collective allotment made to a guild) and both Hindu and Buddhist religious communities received assignments of land, caste and jati appears to have played little role in the Vangan state. Occupation (whether hereditary or recent) was the main driver of social status.

Instead of the old fourfold division, the term “Mahattaras” was of overriding significance. During the Pala era, this term meant something akin to “elder” or “prominent person” but over time, the term lost its original meaning and came to mean something akin to “petty aristocrat” - Mahattaras were those given local control over allotments of land in a system which ultimately gave the Vanshi monarchy its power. By controlling allocation of arable land, the Vanshi, despite their relative ideological humility, were able to maintain the loyalty of key factions in society. However, royal wealth came more and more from trade and linkages to the outside world, and the value of land grants, especially those made to religious orders, was difficult for the monarchy to extract. The taxation system the Vanshi inherited from the Pala gave sweeping exemptions to broad swathes of humanity, and fell hardest on the mercantile classes whose trade was ironically the lifeblood of the state.

Rural merchants formed a sort of outlier within this system. These merchants, in contrast to the flux of the city, were largely part of hereditary families of merchants who inherited their position. Generally speaking they owned land and either had hired workers or tenant farmers to work it. Their mercantile activity was small and almost comical compared to the vast sums being transferred in Gauda. They might trade bundles of fish or sacks of rice, crates of jackfruit or coconut. They did not enjoy the special exemptions given to Hindu/Brahmana groups or Buddhist religious organizations.

These rural merchants were closely aligned to a community of artisans known as the Silpigoshti, a wide-ranging meta-guild of local artisans whose political influence was reminiscent of the Pala-era heterarchy. In another world, these two collective groups were what might be called the petite bourgeoisie. They owned great swathes of land and substantial riches collectively, but individually they had relatively little, and their political influence was nearly nil. Not coincidentally, this politically alienated group of merchants and artisans were also the group most interested in vernacular religious literature patronized by the monarchy.

The ideology of these rural merchants and artisans was distinct from that of the ruling elites and their court philosophers. For one, the rural merchants and artisans were less concerned with lofty theories of governance and more with their own self-interest. They had, by the fourteenth century at least, become far wealthier than the brahmana, the ancient hereditary kinship groups that ruled the Vanga based on ancient rights and little else. But in doing so they had not been awarded the sweeping exemptions and rights that the brahmana were due. Of course, they did not occupy nearly the same place in Hindu religious ritual that the brahmana did.[4] But even still, these artisans and merchants felt the manifest unfairness of what they saw as an outmoded religious hierarchy, where certain kinship groups, due only to their role as Hindu religious leaders, were wholly exempt from taxes that weighed heavily on them.

[1] Theravada religious tracts.

[2] A quote attributed to a Sri Lankan missive to Buddhasimha Vanshi.

[3] This is universal throughout most of India throughout the period. Although current modern scholarship has questioned the role of Varna and Jati in medieval and ancient India, even to whatever extent those concepts are salient, the post-Chandratreya and Post-Pala era is one of overwhelming chaos and fluidity in terms of caste and even kinship. Titles and occupations can change with relative ease. The old certainties are breaking down in face of new monarchies built on shakier foundations and the mass migration of people fleeing war-torn regions.

[4] Of course, Hinduism is largely irrelevant in Vanga, an ancient seat of Theravada religion. So the fact that people whose claim to great lineage stems from Hindu priesthood still hold substantial landholdings is galling to the rural merchants and artisans.

This next post will revolve around two of the great river-valleys of the world, both of which are under the thumb of Sri Lanka to varying degrees.
Something that I thought of is with the middle east becoming the second heart of orthodox Buddhism, I wonder in the future that they pull a declaration of Sri Lanka and India Buddhism as corrupted and then decide to split into their own school or even sect of buddaism, one that is extremely ultra-orthodox and very proselytizing compare to the rest of Buddhism? I can definitely see that happening.

Also, why is Sri Lanka worshiping two buddhas that are not from the country of the same sect/ school of thought?

Also, why is Sri Lanka worshiping two buddhas that are not from the country of the same sect/ school of thought?
I literally cannot answer that because I pulled that from real history. Around this time, the OTL Theravada Buddhists sought to co-opt / syncretize Mahayana Buddhism and Hinduism by pulling in (among others) the Avalokiteśvara and aspects of the Manjusri Buddha. The impetus to do so is much stronger in this timeline, where all the various Dharmic traditions are much more entangled. If you have any suggestions as to how this could be improved, I'm certainly interested and not opposed to a retcon if I made a mistake.

Something that I thought of is with the middle east becoming the second heart of orthodox Buddhism, I wonder in the future that they pull a declaration of Sri Lanka and India Buddhism as corrupted and then decide to split into their own school or even sect of buddaism, one that is extremely ultra-orthodox and very proselytizing compare to the rest of Buddhism? I can definitely see that happening.

That's very much what the Nowbahar tradition imagines is the only real end possibility. Everyone is corrupted by all the false native religions, god-worshipping and forgetting the path to enlightenment in their interest with material concerns. But the Nowbahar, in contrast, are not really aggressive proselytizers. If someone was to combine the Arab zeal for Theravada Buddhism with the Nowbahar's authoritarian and puritanical faith, you'd have a pretty brutal combination.

I want to ask if ittl people will domesticate ostriches in South Africa or not?

Apparently ostriches were kept in captivity during the Bronze Age. Full ostrich domestication in this timeline, however, will probably only occur when demand for plumage outstrips wild supply, as per OTL.

Eftal Pt. II - This Time its Religious
Homeland of Heresy and Hephtalites
Long before the Xasars ever saw it, Asia Minor had a long history of heresy. Marcion, the original arch-heretic, had hailed from Sinope. His dualistic, gnostic intepretation of Christianity, positing the Father as the corrupt creator of the material world and Jesus, the holy emissary of the true divinity, come to save men from it, was also the first to ever have its own scripture: he compiled many of the books of the original New Testament, and the modern scriptures in the Bible were a result of the need the orthodoxy suddenly realized to have its own approved collection of texts. His heresy was stamped out, but others would persist. From the 660s on, the group known as the "Paulicians" grew in influence. Some say they were the descendants of the Marcionites. Others claim they were Armenians who simply had let previous church councils pass them by; they held to the adoptionist heresy, for instance, positing that Jesus was the adopted son of God, with all the implications for the relation of God and man that implies. Whatever the case, they were persecuted by the Eastern Roman authorities for over a century; but this persecution came to an end when the Eftal Shahs brought that empire to its own demise

The Shahs of Rhom lacked much interest in conquered subjects' religious disputes, and so while the Paulicians' descendent sects suffered social persecution in the cities, they ended up having free reign of much of the countryside. A plurality of the Alans and Pontic Greeks were said to belong to the heresy, and it was on the rise (along with more orthodox Christianity) among the Eftal aristocracy when the first Votive war installed a new regime that had little love lost for heretics. This wave of persecution did not last long, however, as soon enough the Khirichan and then the Xasars would take residence in Thrace, where it seemed like they were here to stay.

Theoretically, under the Dhata system, the Skavana and Rumana, and later the Arbeni and Eftal, had their own "system of truth", but this was a most ethnic and local truth, where regional custom dictated the outcome. In most cases, the judge of the court, picked from local elites, would be of whatever strain of faith was dominant for those elites. In the cities of Asia Minor this would be orthodox Christianity, looking to the still-regnant Patriarch in Constantinople; inland, where Alan and Eftal settlers increasingly dominated, this was much.... fuzzier. The Gnostic heretics' dualism had something to say to the Zoroastrian, and their ascetic, world-renouncing mysticism had something to say to the Buddhist. And the Eftal, Alans and other settlers had less interest in following the directives of a Patriarch who, in their minds, their ancestors had bossed around already. Gnostic sects soon became a plurality of the masses of Eftal, as well as their elites.

The scholars of the church would come to refer to these sects as the "Hephtalite" heresy. This collection of sects had much in common with the Autotheists, and indeed, the Autotheists were directly inspired by them, through the Greek diaspora. Autotheist and crypto-autotheist sects would flourish around the Med, particularly in Sicily, Provence, and eastern Ispania. Their influence would be felt as far as the New World, where a sect with very similar views would be able to establish their own society for the first time in Antillia.

Over time, the Hephtalites came to adopt a more austere and iconoclastic theology, in contrast to both the ostentatious Xasar state and, to a lesser degree, the Patriarchal Church run from Konstantikhert. Their egalitarianism also offered opportunities for both those frustrated with church hierarchy, or their status as Alan or Eftal "outlanders". The Xasar state, always afraid of the potential wrath of a united subject population, encouraged the Hephtalite sects to spread, granting Dhata privileges to the Eftal people to make it easier for them to form their own communities, even in the big cities. This court blurred the lines of ethnicity and religion in the Xasar realm - converting to one of the various sects of Hephtalism was an easy way for a Hellene or Sklavene to demonstrate "trustworthiness" to the Xasar state, and going to the Eftal Dhata court was as easy as saying one was of Eftal blood, which many of them actually were, in some larger or smaller fraction.

Accordingly, their privileges would be restricted less as the Xasar struggled to rationalize the Dhata system. Under the old system, major Hellenic merchant-aristocratic families, many still descendants of Byzantine officials or Frankish votivists, had had some influence in the appointment of the satrap of Hellenistan and held some other, smaller offices, much as the Slavic nobles had in Sklavenistan, and Arbeni clans in Arbenistan. This kind of say in local governance was increasingly gone, with the bait of conversion to Hepthalism or better yet, Buddhism held out to try to co-opt selected elites. The Xasar expected this strategy of divide and conquer would help shore up their ailing empire.... what they did not expect was the role it would come to play in cohering the disparate peoples of Asia Minor against them...

Last edited:
The Post With a Footnote about Apricot Stew
Imagine, if you will, trying to rule

The difficulty of ruling the great Fulani Empire was compounded by its vast territorial expanse and the sheer number of different cultures, many of them far more numerous than the Fula, who were expected to live under its imperium. Wolof, Serer, Malinike, Songhay, Soninike, Bambara, and dozens more were all subject to the Fulani, bound together by a rigid imperial bureaucracy and the vague notions of universalism that the Tereist movement provided (at least to urban centers). However, these were good years, by and large, years of prosperity and rare famine, and the Fulani moved from strength to strength. It would be a mistake to view the Fulani Empire as some tottering leviathan ready to collapse at a blow.

And yet communication difficulties and regional rebellions were not uncommon. On the religious front, the gulf between the universalist Tereists, whose cult of the Supreme Being hypothetically transcended language and custom, was viewed with suspicion and distrust by the manifold polytheisms of West Africa. Christianity, although fundamentally foriegn, spread due to lack of any effective resistance against it. Although state sponsorship was impossible (the Fulani were invested in their own cultic practice and at a royal level, Tereism) that did not stop monasteries from developing and bright-eyed North African missionaries for preaching the gospel. Gone were the days of Christ Idir and the various syncretic Berber faiths - the Berbers were in full communion with Rome these days, and their faith had a unique zeal. They were the ones who introduced slave-soldiers to the triune Godhead on their long trip northward.[1]

European and South Asian maritime contact grew dramatically during the reign of Mansa Njanire. These contacts were mostly interested in the acquisition of gold, slaves, salt, and ivory. However, the Fulani gold trade was based primarily on gold extracted from the forest regions of West Africa. This meant that enterprising merchants could undercut the Fulani, trading directly with coastal entrepots along the Pepper Coast. By this point in the history of West Africa, craft specialization had begun in earnest, and legitimate ports were identifiable along the coast - smaller perhaps than the royal Fulani efforts in the northwest, but nevertheless capable of fracturing the once unified gold trade.

Although the Fulani of Takrur were wealthy, that wealth was overwhelmingly concentrated in the hands of a hierarchical state, and distributed to soldiers (and others) as gifts. In his conquests and in his maintenance of royal authority, Njanire personally led his forces - primarily horse-mounted cavalry - and came to be seen as a powerful magician and leader: the living spirit of war. He personally oversaw the establishment of weights and measures, and generally established himself as a semi-sacred monarch adjacent to divinity. Beneath him, there was a large bureaucracy but it was also intensely personal: only two figures existed at the top of the ladder. The Master of the Waters oversaw trade, and the Minister of Agriculture oversaw (almost literally) everything else. This was an intensely charismatic and personal regime, befitting the rise of the Fulani as pastoralists. There were other ministers - the presence of a “Finance Minister” is noted in contemporary records - but these figures had much less authority than the Master of Waters and the Minister of Agriculture. These two essentially ruled the regime, controlling all trade and distributing all land.

This is not to say the Fulani regime was absolutist. We have already discussed that it was not.[2] It often had to make compromises and come to understandings with local rivals. But it nevertheless left little room for private enterprise or innovation in economic matters. Issues of justice were essentially left to local leaders, and as long as the fari, the governors, collected tax, local politics were purely local affairs. But the assignment of land and revenue, the control over trade, all was the province of the state. There was no large scale market economy - in simple terms, any bulk mercantile activity was regulated by the state and largely consisted of the state, by way of royal merchants selling unfinished goods in exchange for European finished goods or currency. Even the major guilds who did create finished goods did so largely for domestic consumption and were required by necessity to perform agricultural labor during their spare time.

What this meant is that despite the astronomical wealth of West Africa, much of that wealth was funnelled abroad, especially to the Christian world, with whom West Africa developed increasingly strong connections. The priests and missionaries who travelled her trade lanes were Chalcedonian and fundamentally linked to the Papal world in a way that the Coptic fanatics and priest-kings of Kanem were not. Christianity posed a distinct threat to the Tereists, as the urban, intellectual milieu of Christianity was the same as Tereism (the rural peasantry largely was essentially traditionalist and utterly disinterested in either Tereism or Christianity). Although Christianity gained few converts among the rural population, it had reasonable success within the urban classes, the same groups who had, ironically, been primed by Tereism to accept foriegn influence. It was only when attempting to bridge the gap into the rural regions, where traditional polytheism and ancestor worship predominated, that Christianity faltered. These traditional religions were intimately linked to agriculture, to society, to the rhythms of rural life. Even nominal acceptance of Christianity would require state backing and support on a level not even given to the Tereist priests.

The vast sprawl of the West African Sahel created an easy path of conquest for Fulani cavalry, armed and armored in the latest fashions, but it did not create a similar easy path for administration. Communication times were slow and often lagged. Takrur itself was not centrally located within the new empire, meaning that Nanjire and his successors would frequently establish their real base of operations far from the heartlands of their new empire. One thing that benefitted administration was that the pattern of societal hierarchy was similar across most of the region they conquered. People were either nobility, free men, guild members, and slaves. Outside of the market towns of the Niger valley, guild members generally were also agriculturalists, and only nobility were free to avoid lives of physical toil. Instead they worked in administration or warfare, engaging in-state sponsored raids into the forest regions and managing the allocation of resources and land on behalf of the Ministry.

[1] Missionaries also adapted Thefath, the traditional north african dish of lamb, raisins, apricots, onion, garlic, tomato, herbs and spices, swapping lamb for goat meat and chicken, and the dried fruit for peanuts, creating a rich and flavorful curry which in modern times is synonymous with street food the world over.

[2] Post 603.

The first thing I’d want to ask is who’s going to be the first to industrialise. I assume that its someone in India that’s going to do so, considering what they’re doing. What I’m going to say is under the impression that India as a continent is the first to industrialise.

I’d like to ask if the world wars are fought in the Indian subcontinent. I think that its more appropriate due to the Indians being the most powerful and technologically advanced countries would work as a better analog than ttl’s Europeans. Another thing I’d like to see is the Xaxar being the first country in Europe to industrialise first, which would scare the Europeans a lot, and create a lot of death/apocalypse cults, which would be fun. Also, who is the first c
Christian nation to industrialise? I hope its either England, or an African country.

Also, would the Africans in South America survive and mix with the natives to create cultures that would be able to survive.

Last edited:
Gone were the days of Christ Idir and the various syncretic Berber faiths - the Berbers were in full communion with Rome these days, and their faith had a unique zeal.
I'm sad that christ idir and the syncretic Berber faiths are gone, but I wonder if there are still worshipers of those sects?

Also Whats the Fulani/Tereists situation in the new world?

The first thing I’d want to ask is who’s going to be the first to industrialise.

Spoilers! And industrialization might look somewhat different from what we saw OTL.

I’d like to ask if the world wars are fought in the Indian subcontinent. I think that its more appropriate due to the Indians being the most powerful and technologically advanced countries would work as a better analog than ttl’s Europeans. Another thing I’d like to see is the Xaxar being the first country in Europe to industrialise first, which would scare the Europeans a lot, and create a lot of death/apocalypse cults, which would be fun.

World Wars are also probably going to look somewhat different, depending on what colonialism looks like in TTL. Which again, as we've already seen is taking somewhat of a different cast than OTL.

The Xasar industrializing first is not a given by any means. Economically speaking, they're hardly as central as they were even a few centuries ago. The times, they are a-changing.

We're about two hundred years ahead of schedule, roughly, but if history shows us one thing, it's that technology isn't linear and there's no path of progress. Agriculture can be developed without the state. The state can be developed without wheels. Writing can exist without monarchs. All of which is to say that the modernity of the White Huns might not look like modernity as we know it. We're witnessing the very initial phases of the birth of the "modern world" now.

My only promise is the one I've made since the very beginning. I will end this timeline when we reach something akin to modernity, by which I mean the era that the people living in the White Huns universe consider "modern." There will be no futuristic technological elements, and we will end before those occur. I may even retcon the exact date of the nuclear bomb post I made ages ago (not by much) if need be.

Also, who is the first c
Christian nation to industrialise? I hope its either England, or an African country.

Estonia.

Kidding. I have no idea yet. I don't plan the timeline that far in advance.

That said, I invite open and wild speculation by you, the readers, on these subjects.

I'm sad that christ idir and the syncretic Berber faiths are gone, but I wonder if there are still worshipers of those sects?

I think there very much are. People will never forget about Idir, whether he becomes a folk hero or a secret object of worship. The problem is things keep moving on, as they always do. Political necessity binds the Mauri towards the Church, from which they derive legitimacy and authority. This in turn gives the Mauri elite - the real movers and shakers within their society - more access to Christian Europe and European markets, where they do most of their business. Heresy is not conducive to that.

Of course, no-one but priests care what a bunch of rural parishioners in the mountains believe.

Also Whats the Fulani/Tereists situation in the new world?

It's certainly been alluded to - there are a decent number of Fulani in the New World. Tereism is rarer on the ground and very much an elite thing besides. But its ideas penetrated enough through these elite sources to give inspiration to the Way of Itzcoatl, a religious movement detailed by Lost in New Delhi in an excellent series of guest posts.

What happened to Rome (East and West)?

The PoD occurs after the collapse of the Roman Empire in the West. Thus, I would recommend Patrick Wyman's excellent "The Fall of Rome" Podcast, available at Wondery: https://wondery.com/shows/the-fall-of-rome-podcast/, and Mike Duncan's excellent The History of Rome https://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/. I'm not being cheeky, they're fantastic podcasts if you haven't listened to them and I used them to fall asleep every night for about a year.

The East fell after a series of Eftal invasions detailed in my prior timeline, which is available by checking the first post in this thread. Long story short, the Eastern Roman Empire, despite its institutional advantages, was overwhelmed by the arrival of vigorous foes from the East and from beyond the Danube. Weakened by internal rebellion, it ultimately failed. However, the idea of Roman Empires continues to exist: the West is reborn as the Isidorian Empire - a pseudo-barbarized rump state in Italy and in East, there are a series of Asian pretenders to imperial glory, most recently the bandit Christodoulids, operating out of Pontus.

Spoilers! And industrialization might look somewhat different from what we saw OTL.

World Wars are also probably going to look somewhat different, depending on what colonialism looks like in TTL. Which again, as we've already seen is taking somewhat of a different cast than OTL.

The Xasar industrializing first is not a given by any means. Economically speaking, they're hardly as central as they were even a few centuries ago. The times, they are a-changing.

We're about two hundred years ahead of schedule, roughly, but if history shows us one thing, it's that technology isn't linear and there's no path of progress. Agriculture can be developed without the state. The state can be developed without wheels. Writing can exist without monarchs. All of which is to say that the modernity of the White Huns might not look like modernity as we know it. We're witnessing the very initial phases of the birth of the "modern world" now.

My only promise is the one I've made since the very beginning. I will end this timeline when we reach something akin to modernity, by which I mean the era that the people living in the White Huns universe consider "modern." There will be no futuristic technological elements, and we will end before those occur. I may even retcon the exact date of the nuclear bomb post I made ages ago (not by much) if need be.
So will you end the timeline when the world of the white Huns gets their equivalent of the internet and smartphones?
It's certainly been alluded to - there are a decent number of Fulani in the New World. Tereism is rarer on the ground and very much an elite thing besides. But its ideas penetrated enough through these elite sources to give inspiration to the Way of Itzcoatl, a religious movement detailed by Lost in New Delhi in an excellent series of guest posts.
I can definitely see more movements inspired by tereism happening besides the way of the Itzocatl, in the new world.

the West is reborn as the Isidorian Empire - a pseudo-barbarized rump state in Italy and in East, there are a series of Asian pretenders to imperial glory, most recently the bandit Christodoulids, operating out of Pontus.
Whatever happened to the Isidorian empire? I can also see North Africa as a successor to the roman empire as well.

Homeland of Heresy and Hephtalites
I thought that orthodox Christianity did not exist since the schism did not happened?

So will you end the timeline when the world of the white Huns gets their equivalent of the internet and smartphones?

Or a little bit before. Not exactly sure yet.

Whatever happened to the Isidorian empire? I can also see North Africa as a successor to the roman empire as well.

Conquered by the Franks.

I thought that orthodox Christianity did not exist since the schism did not happened?

Orthodox Christianity as we know it doesn't exist. When Hobelhouse uses the adjective "orthodox" to describe Christians it's fair to assume he means "correct belief." Catholicism IS orthodoxy in this timeline. He's referring to Chalcedonians who haven't broken with the Pope like (for example) the Nestorians have.

Also, who is the first c
Don't see why England wouldn't still be first with the proximity of coal to waterways and all, but the Papal States remain straddling the Wallonian coalfields and the Ruhr. It'd be Warhammer 40k on the Rhine