The New World of the White Huns

I finally read through the entire timeline of the White Huns over the last few months, and at first was really wishing I had caught myself up sooner. But then I finally got to the end of your published content in late March with Lisbon getting invaded, and I think my timing couldn't have been more perfect. Absolutely astounding work, can't wait to see where you take it in the future.

And poor Pope John, I'll be praying for him x'D

What ever happened to the slaves of Christ?

What's the status for Tanianism?

How did the rus came in to existence if pod happened before it existence?

Edite: why is Russia still called Russia if it has a different origin in this timeline?

Last edited:
It's been a while since I caught up, IRL demands have overtaken me. But I'm interested to hear what "the plan" is....

With the Pope being the de facto arbitrator of the disputes of Europe I expect it involves driving a wedge into every existing fault line....

I finally read through the entire timeline of the White Huns over the last few months, and at first was really wishing I had caught myself up sooner. But then I finally got to the end of your published content in late March with Lisbon getting invaded, and I think my timing couldn't have been more perfect. Absolutely astounding work, can't wait to see where you take it in the future.

And poor Pope John, I'll be praying for him x'D

Thank you for the kind words!

What ever happened to the slaves of Christ?

What's the status for Tanianism?

How did the rus came in to existence if pod happened before it existence?

Edite: why is Russia still called Russia if it has a different origin in this timeline?

What do you mean what happened to the slaves of Christ? Slave soldiers are a sizeable component in many armies, and the Papal-aligned factions maintain significant slave armies. Their heyday is past (the Great Votive War required mass levies of peasants) but they're still around.

There's still a few Tanian heretics hiding around Europe, but they're not a major movement the way the current most popular heresy, authotheism, is.

The Rus came into existence the same way they did OTL, roughly - Vikings settled the north of Russia and eventually converted to a very attenuated form of Buddhism. Because of this similar origin, I used the similar name. (Just as I call China "China" and Christian Poland "Poland"), to avoid confusion. The later Rusichi, despite having more steppe influences and a more orthodox Buddhist religion, consider themselves inheritors of that tradition.

If you want a timeline where I tried to name everything more accurately, check out my old Hellenistic timeline, Oikoumene, where people *really* hated the fact that I refused to use any latin derived place name. It's easier this way.

In general the few historical names I've changed have been intentionally parallel to their historical ones. Ispana is obviously España and so forth.

It's been a while since I caught up, IRL demands have overtaken me. But I'm interested to hear what "the plan" is....

With the Pope being the de facto arbitrator of the disputes of Europe I expect it involves driving a wedge into every existing fault line....

I expect it goes something like "listen kid, if you want to survive the next few years, do what your friends the Roman aristocracy want."

And then yeah, something like take the opposite stance of Aachen on every major secular political issue.

Majachaiyaaaaaaa
The Shining Tree and her Heirs

A ship sails through the harbor, lateen rigged sails tight against the seasonal wind. It is one of many boats, untold hundreds of ships pulling into the great harbor of Hujung Galuh, the main transit port that feeds the imperial city of Majachaiya. Hujung Galuh has been remade within recent memory as a wonder of monumental architecture. The Majachaiya, like those before them, favor ostentatious temples of red stone carved with intricate figures in a style that is at once distinctively Indian and distinctively Javanese. They have flattened slums and suburbs to make way for the palatial gardens and great universities that mark Hujung Galuh as a great city. And so the city, which once was mostly wooden, a practical but dingy affair, is now a wonder of dizzying opulence, a jewel of the Javanese world.

At the docks, the ship will find the usual array of customs officials and bureaucrats, stern-faced veterans whose rise through the ranks of the civil service is due to military acumen and unquestioned loyalty. Past these faces, a disembarking captain might hasten to the Tamil quarter, where Ainnurruvar and other manigramam company bankers waited. Their wealth bankrolled the trade that flowed through this city - they guaranteed the purchases of spices that these merchant captains made. They kept detailed records of every loan of funds, every shipment. In their offices there were long columns of clerks at desks, scratching away at paper ledgers, recording the constant flow of wealth that raised temples, universities, and palaces across the Indosphere, and sent currents of spices, silks, textiles, silver, incense, and a thousand other commodities around the world.

The Ainnurruvar were not just wealthy. They were trusted, and that trust - their relationship with the Majachaiya - underlined their power. Monarchs across the Indosphere relied upon the great banking houses such as the Ainnurruvar. Vijaya Sena in Magadha relied on them to pay his mercenaries, and the Gurjar kings of Dhar secured their loans to him with the right to collect taxes. The banking houses were indispensable: they handled the riot of foreign currencies, and funded the great trading ventures. They never failed to keep their promises, and over their long history, dating back to the era of the Chola and Maukhani, they had developed the lending of capital into an industry (as had their contemporaries across the Indosphere and Near East).

Where the Christians kept strict prohibitions on usury, holding that any loan which charged interest was sinful[1], there were no such prohibitions within Hinduism. Certainly, there were local laws and customs, edicts and moral philosophy which spoke against unjust usury. Buddhism spoke mostly in vague terms against the charging of interest, and thus the cultural limitations on finance that gripped the western world were nowhere found in the Indosphere. Capital could flow freely and could be used to generate more capital in turn.

However, Hujung Galuh was beginning to be overshadowed. The strait of Malacca was one of the great convergences of trade routes, and the refounded city of Vijayakota [Singapore] was perfectly placed to take advantage of this trade. Rebuilt by the Majachaiya in their distinctive style, Vijayakota was quickly colonized by firms of Sinhalese, Tamil, and Telugu bankers and merchants. These bankers in turn were among those who bankrolled the ascent of Queen Gayatri in 1345, and whose incredibly long reign as royal puppetmaster marked the sole golden age of the Majachaiya.

Under the surface, the religious, cultural, and political makeup of the Majachaiya Empire was in deep turmoil. The Majachaiya had devastated local aristocracies in the process of the ascension to power, and in so doing they had undercut the complex bonds of loyalty and obligation that had long underpinned royal power in the Malay Archipelago. This left a power vacuum into which the trading families of India stepped smoothly. These trading families themselves were heterogeneous. Like the Javanese, they were still generally speaking either Hindu and Buddhist or some mix of the two, and their religious traditions were essentially familiar, even if their cultural heritage was not.

There was no real distinction between trade and banking in the time, and the groups that performed these functions were called vanigrama or manigramam.[2] In Java, the term “banigrama” was primarily used. During the heyday of the Majachaiya, their activities rapidly increased and took on more overtly political implications - no longer were they merely traders of spice and textiles. They were coming more and more to dominate the local artisan and mercantile guilds, for whom they were a ready source of capital and trade goods. And, with the annihilation of the nobles and the division of their estates into state commanderies designed to enrich the soldier class, the banigrama gained an additional role: that of tax farmers and regional administrators. The Majachaiya, lacking a significant administrative apparatus of themselves and unwilling to rely on local aristocrats, the orang kaya, (who they had largely annihilated in their drive to consolidate power), had been forced to rely on these foriegn merchants. The visionary ruler Nararya Jayavardhana had been the first to recognize that the consolidation of wealth within a local aristocracy had led, invariably, to the political disorder and dissolution of the Malay Archipelago. Fearing political domination by outsiders was an inevitable consequence of disunity, he set about forging a unified empire by annihilating any local potentate that stood in his way.

And yet, his successors lacked any real way to administer. They had shown that they could conquer vast swathes of territory, but their armies were not easily turned into a professional administrative body, something with which the Majachaiya had no experience. There were of course local village councils and other such bodies, but the entire “middle rung” of the administrative hierarchy had been put to the sword, and they learned rapidly that simply assigning soldiers to govern territory tended to lead to corruption. So Naraya Jayavardhana’s successors embraced the very thing that had spurred his original campaigns.

The Majachaiya turned wholeheartedly to the joint-stock companies, especially those of Tamil origin, for support. The banigrama had ready-to-order local hierarchies, administrative apparatuses, and their own private armed guards. They already basically ran the coastal entrepots, and despite the disruptive chaos of the Majachaiya wars of conquest, they had proven stubborn and impossible to weed out, as those who control the real wealth and power within a regime often are. In sum, they were the only logical ally of the Majachaiya state.

The Tamil banking houses, for their part, were happy to pump wealth into the Majachaiya in exchange for exclusive access to the vast plantations of Java, which, under Majachaiya rule, were essentially a massive royal demesne, owned by the court and administered by courtier-soldiers. Of course, the Majachaiya were too shrewd to invest sole power in the Tamil, and the Ainnurruvar had many rivals who without royal patronage could not compete at all - the city of Gauda in Vanga, the Utkaladeshan firms, the Sri Lankans. Although the profusion of Chinese goods never slowed, with the collapse of the Kitai, Chinese traders lacked the funds and organization to become involved in this scramble for influence within the Majachaiyan court, and by the time things began to settle down in China once again, the pie had largely been carved, so to speak. And of course, the Tamil-speaking merchants under the Pandya and the Telugu speaking-merchants under the Gajaptai were busy cultivating their own contacts in the ports of this disorganized China.

Under the vanigrama, urban life flourished. Coastal cities swelled with people, recovering rapidly from the violence of the initial conquest period. As for the red stone elegance that merchant captains saw while sailing into Hujung Galuh? That was the patronage of the vanigrama at work, as much as it was the hand of royal beneficence. This urban life was not ephemeral either - the cities that grew to prominence in this era would stay prominent for centuries to come. But the phenomenon that birthed them was rapidly coming to a close. The Majachaiya Empire was Queen Gayatri, and she would pass away in 1394.

Dowager Queen Gayatri, after defeating her brother’s palace coup in 1345, would rule through her son, Adityavarman, her prime minister and husband Kembara, and finally two of her grandsons, Tribuvanaraja and Kratanagara. But the royal family had grown enormous during her long reign, and Majachaiya had become something both deadly and decadent, a city of vipers. Tribuvanaraja had been largely impotent as a monarch, a puppet to be easily manipulated as his father, Adityavarman had been, but he had died childless, and the ascension of his brother Kratanagara posed a more difficult threat.

Kratanagara had been raised for the better part of his adolescence in the port city of Lobo Tuva, in Sumatra, and at a young age had been trained to be a warrior-prince at the instruction of the local commandant. That there was no-one really to fight anymore was immaterial. Adityavarman had sought to isolate and protect his sons from court life, which on one hand had generally made them skilled soldiers, but on the other hand had generally made them ill-equipped for the machinations of Gayatri. Upon his suddenly being thrust into the imperial limelight with the death of his brother, Kratanagara had proven to be equally inept at actual rulership. His vague plans to invade Champa and make a name for himself were continually frustrated by his scheming grandmother, who had no interest in unprofitable wars of conquest.

Additionally, it was little secret that the thousands of disinherited and dispossessed nobles that the Majachaiya had overthrown were not entirely wiped out. A clumsy census would reveal many dozens of aristocratic heirs hiding in various foriegn exiles (the most extravagant of these being the last heir of the Isyana holed up in Aotearoa). Some nobles even remained in the Malay Archipelago - whatever the Majachaiya claimed, their purge was always tempered by pragmatism. More commonly, they had fled to the remaining bastions of the Khmer or Shanadesa, where their status and whatever movable wealth they had managed to take into exile usually afforded them comfortable but not opulent lives. Mostly, these figures resigned themselves to a lifetime in exile, but not all would, and as the weakness of the Majachaiyan court became apparent, rivals would begin to emerge from the old order.

And that weakness was growing constantly. Gayatri, as she aged and became increasingly infirm, was less able to contain her grandson. More of her focus had to be directed towards royal competitors for power - the direct line of succession was always somewhat vague, and the scattering of royal heirs and cousins across the empire meant that many of those heirs had been building up their own independent bases of power. Kratanagara, ever a soldier, had often been tasked with putting down his royal extended family before they could pose too significant of a threat. But the time when central authority and military sovereignty were sufficient was rapidly coming to a close. By the death of Queen Gayatri, no-one remembered a world where Majachaiya had not been preeminent. The dominance of the trading companies was more or less a constant. The old aristocracies had faded from memory - for both better and worse.

In contrast to the revolutionary era that Naraya Jayavardhana brought, the subsequent era of disorder would seem comparatively slight. Materially, there is no evidence that trade was significantly disrupted or that wealth overall declined. Harvests continued, with the agricultural bounty of Java flowing outward and the spice bounty of the great plantations flowing inward. The Ainnurruvar (and to a lesser degree their competitors) - now too powerful to be displaced - were to play the role of kingmakers and mediators this time.

[1] Exchange banking is underdeveloped in Europe due to a long history of a relatively united Europe. So the tricks of the Medici are essentially unknown to current European bankers. Jewish bankers are still vital for commerce because they alone can charge interest to the gentiles.

[2] I have referred to them largely as “joint-stock companies” but it’s time to introduce a local word, I think.

Last edited:
The Majachaiya, lacking a significant administrative apparatus of themselves and unwilling to rely on local aristocrats, the orang kaya, (who they had largely annihilated in their drive to consolidate power).
Is something missing at the end here?

If you want a timeline where I tried to name everything more accurately, check out my old Hellenistic timeline, Oikoumene, where people *really* hated the fact that I refused to use any latin derived place name. It's easier this way.
I recently read through it. I didnt find any issue with it.

What's happening in Australia and the aboriginals?

Check post #748.

It's worth noting that the present Indosphere version of colonialism is generally not settler colonialism. The Australians (Pula) in this timeline don't appear to have much to offer the great Tamil bankers, in the same way that the Medici wouldn't quite know what to make of the Comanche. In the same way, the Indosphere's interactions with New Zealand have been limited to refugees and exiles. There's nothing much to say about Australia right now, to be honest.

It's possible the first blossomings of Indian settler colonialism are happening with the Andhra settlements on OTL San Francisco, but even that is more along the lines of "resupply point for boats + good fertile soil."

Sankt-Jan was taken by a Twin Crowns expedition shortly after, but its garrison had to return to the Yucatan to quell a Mayan rebellion soon after landing, allowing Angland to make it a similar offer it could not refuse.
What was the deal that angland made to the twin crowns?

What was the deal that angland made to the twin crowns?
Taking over Sankt-Jan, lol.

Interesting to see the banigrama take what sounds like an East India Company-like role in Indonesia, with the Majachaiya playing the role of the Mughals. How well do the various merchant houses get along under the same roof? Is there any spillover from conflicts like the Red Swan/Bharukhacchi rivalry?

Also, IIRC the Champa were starting to expand overseas as well... have they gotten in on the action in Java?

Interesting to see the banigrama take what sounds like an East India Company-like role in Indonesia, with the Majachaiya playing the role of the Mughals.
Well, at least the Mughals were capable enough of administering their own provinces; the EIC first had to secure official title to Bengal in order to begin altering its administration.

The Majachaiya successors benefit from no one company having a monopoly, but during war there could be buyouts of competitors who don't think they can guard their assets or who have already had them ruined. The returning emigres could also be interesting players-- spreading the image of themselves as restorers of the grand old ways, they could bully smaller companies into going along with them or be considered as an obstacle to the advent of the new era.

Whatever happened to the Arians in this timeline?

Edit: How is Nestorianism currently doing?

Last edited:
Interesting to see the banigrama take what sounds like an East India Company-like role in Indonesia, with the Majachaiya playing the role of the Mughals. How well do the various merchant houses get along under the same roof? Is there any spillover from conflicts like the Red Swan/Bharukhacchi rivalry?
Well, at least the Mughals were capable enough of administering their own provinces; the EIC first had to secure official title to Bengal in order to begin altering its administration.

I think New Delhi has the right of it in terms of the major difference - the Indian banking houses tend to have more unofficial and more tenuous position. But I'd suggest the overall analogy holds. There is no one overall monopoly, and the merchant houses do not get along super well - although the conflicts are more based on the classic south and east Indian conflicts, since that's whose predominant. No open fighting, but definitely a lot of jockeying for positions within the administrative apparatus - trying to overbid their competition for the right to tax/administer estates. Probably a little bit of sponsored piracy and contracted assassinations from time to time, when things get really tense. The Pandya and Sri Lankans after all just got out of their hundred years war not so long ago and those wounds are fresh.

The Red Swans have a limited presence in the East and are in general terms partners of the Ainnurruvar (if I recall correctly, it might have been a different Tamil banking house). Kachka is in terminal decline by the middle of the fourteenth century as business moves to Khambayat and Thana. The other major Mahratta banking house, the Cevirukkai, are very much involved in the Eastern struggle for dominance, with their successes and influence tracing the 14th century arc of their ascension to preeminent status circa 1360 and their rapid contraction in the latter half of the century spelling a relative decline in Mahratta banking outside of their old core territories (northwestern India, the Persian Gulf, Red Sea, Africa).

The returning emigres could also be interesting players-- spreading the image of themselves as restorers of the grand old ways, they could bully smaller companies into going along with them or be considered as an obstacle to the advent of the new era.
Since no-one remembers the old ways, that could be appealing in the sort of vague "weren't things better" way. Still, it's probably to their benefit to align themselves with India/maybe Champa, where the funds and ships they might need are located.

Also, IIRC the Champa were starting to expand overseas as well... have they gotten in on the action in Java?

Yeah, I would think they are a crucial node in the transport of goods from China to Majachaiya and vice versa - big business for sure, and more reliable than their ambitious cross-Procellaric voyages to sell stuff in the New World.

Whatever happened to the Arians in this timeline?

They died out in a way similar to history - over time, the "barbarian" leadership of the west embraced Chalcedonian Christianity. By the 6th and 7th centuries, it was on the way out.

Edit: How is Nestorianism currently doing?
  • #481 - is the post that most recently addresses Nestorianism. It is preserved most prominently in the presence of wandering Asorig merchants, the remaining Asorig enclaves in the fertile crescent and Mesopotamia, and a variety of Churches and the "Nines Lions" (a Christian vanigrama) in Mahratta. Muharraq is the center of Nestorian faith.

Ooh, that's very interesting. Looking forward to how the Armenians and Asorig ride the upcoming waves.
Also reminds me of this book https://www.google.com/books/editio...BuHhDwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover

The competition between Jews and Asorig for "most successful people largely displaced from their homeland who engage in mercantile activity" will be a fierce one. :p

Worth noting that the Nine Lions are a banking house of Mahratta-born Christian converts, not Asorig. And their wealth, state support, and relevance pales in comparison to the Cevirrukai and their peers. But still, it's one of those little fun asides that make the world deeper, richer, and full of wonders.

Last edited:
World-Ruling Kings
The Ruler of the World and the Post-Haruniya

Along the floor of a dry, dusty plain, men and horses gathered. They ranged in dense-packed rows, sweltering under the summer sun that beat down upon their conical helms and their mail shirts. They carried a wide assortment of weapons - fierce axes and cudgels, long thin cavalry swords, spears, lances, composite bows and of course the ubiquitous snaplock firearms favored by the infantry. This is the army of Ildirim ibn Mansar, the new Sahansah who has inherited the mantle of the Haruniya. His army is polyglot - Ifthal aristocrats and their retainers, Arab and Tayzig horsemen, Egyptian and Syrian levies packed into dense infantry columns, and along the flanks, Khardi warriors with axes and tufenj.[1]

Facing them is a substantially larger army, an invading force coming to conquer. The Iranians, hoping to wrest Mesopotamia (and perhaps more) from this new post-Bakhtiyar warlord, are arrayed across the hills to the east in a rough arc. Their formation is one that threatens to outflank the Ildirimid army. To counter this threat, and to counter the fierce steppe cavalry that the Iranian Sah has brought down from the east, Ildirim has dug in, turning his supply train into ramparts and instructing his men to dig a series of defensive earthworks. His position is well watered and he has time. He wants to goad the Iranians into an assault.

The year is 1353, and Ildirim, although sovereign over most of the territory of the old Haruniya state, is not a Haruniya. He is, like most of his inner circle, a blend of Tayzig and Arab ancestry. He is a warlord whose claim to power was that he emerged out of the anarchy at Emesa alive and in possession of his eyes - a rare feat for someone who was once in the inner circle of the unlucky and incompetent Roshtam ibn Ariaxa and Roshtam’s pliable and mentally handicapped successor, Khayam ibn Roshtam. The Haruniya, the greatest of the Bakhtiyar dynasties, have not survived the test of time, and Ildirim, although of low birth, has shown the talent, charisma, and savvy to rule. In particular, he knows who butters his bread - the Lankans, whose victory at the Barim (and the subsequent period of anarchy) has left the Egyptian court deeply weakened and deeply dependent on the Lankans, who are now masters of the Red Sea.

Ildirim is a consummate survivor, both of court politics and the battlefield. He has fought relentlessly to shore up the prestige of his state and his own legitimacy as he has come into his own.[2] This in no small part means military campaigns, both against the Khardi on his eastern periphery, the Anatolian Eftal to his north, and his own generals. But these wars have left his armies weakened and diminished, and his coffers are dry. The old Haruniya administrative state was shattered by the anarchy, and his dominion is at the mercy of powerful nikaya (temple fraternities) and old Ifthal landholders. Taxes and tariffs go uncollected, and raising an army is more of a negotiation than a command.

This is, of course, exactly what the Lankans want. They have been happy to watch Ildirim secure his territory, because peace is good for trade, but they also do not want to see him become so powerful that he could throw off their yoke. There are rumors that they keep a surviving Haruniya scion in captivity in their fortress at Aden.

The battle between Ildirim and the Iranian Sah Jihangir, according to legend, had its catalyst in a series of diplomatic insults. Seeking to maintain his position and not appear weak, Ildirim referred to Jihangir as “brother” in a letter, not realizing that Jihangir, who did not see Ildirim as properly “bakhtiyar” would take offense to the term. Jihangir, as a bakhtiyar descended from the Ansara dynasty[3], believed that to be bakhtiyar meant tracing one’s ancestry to Akhsau Mansar’s companions. Ildirim’s own attempt to do so was widely denounced in the Iranian court as a forgery, and so what Ildirim meant as a sign of equivalence was taken as dangerous over-familiarity.

But of course, the real rationale was more brutally pragmatic. Iran had been incredibly successful in its campaigns in India. Gandhara and Parashavar were enormously wealthy and productive regions, and even the plunder alone that Iran had gained from looting the corpse of the Pala dynasty’s northern holdings provided a war chest unequaled in the Near East. Jihangir’s father, Firuz, a general in the Ansara armies, had won his position in these battles, and ultimately had amassed sufficient power to place his son on the throne. A young man in his early twenties (his exact age is unknown), the boy, who had previously been known as Firuz, took the name Jihangir. By naming himself literally “Ruler of the World” Jihangir demonstrated a desire to not merely be another local bakhtiyar king, but instead something different - a universal emperor of the Near East, the first since Akhsau Mansar.

It seemed like a time for great changes. The Haruniya, as ancient and venerable as the Ansara, had collapsed and their bloodline was all but wiped out. Iran was resurgent and revitalized. Jihangir’s first goal was to reunite all Iranians (the Khardi of course being Iranians) under a single banner, but he hardly intended to stop there. Several years before his invasion of Mesopotamia, Jihangir declared himself to be a dharma king, free to do whatever he would upon the earth to bring harmony and order.

Jihangir was born into an era when Buddhism was becoming increasingly standardized. Theravada monks from Sri Lanka were filtering into the religious discourse that permeated the Near East, prompting divisions between existing sects. In particular, the spread of Theravada threatened the political power of the Nowbahar, despite the doctrinal similarities. Jihangir was the first of the Ansara Sahs to appoint a “sangabaiti” or “guardian of the community of believers” a title identical to the title of sangharaja common in southeast asia, breaking with the old Eftal tradition of the political ruler mediating religious disputes. In a blow to the prestige of the historically dominant Nowbahar, the sangabaiti was a prominent bhikkhu associated with the more moderate traditions. While certainly not a deity-worshipper, the move signaled a decline in the power of the ancient Nowbahar monasteries, whose influence had once been unshakable.

Jihangir also courted the Sri Lankans politically. The Iranians had burned their bridges with both the Chandratreya and the Pala (a prescient move in hindsight, but one they could not have imagined would pay off) and were in dire need of allies and trading partners on the subcontinent. However, the Canal of Akhsau Mansar was essentially in Sri Lankan hands, and the Polonnaruva monarchy felt confident that it could maintain its hold on the Near East without Iranian offers of “support.” This in turn pushed Jihangir towards informal agreements with the Pandya (or really, the Ainnurruvar) the old rivals of Sri Lanka.

With unimaginable wealth at his disposal, Jihangir advanced on Mesopotamia, carrying out a campaign of raiding and pillage in 1352, testing the defenses and softening the region for a full conquest. The raids went relatively unsuccessfully, Ildirim, emboldened, advanced the next year into Iran, hoping to mount a series of punitive attacks and perhaps seize some mountain strongholds that could make the defense of Mesopotamia easier in the future.

Jihangir met him at Kalak, his forces arrayed in a massive arc - infantry mostly in the center, cavalry along the wings. Jihangir was not a tactical genius necessarily, but he had inherited an effective, capable fighting force from his father and from generations of innovation among the Ansara. Their artillery was unparalleled, their infantry well-drilled veterans of campaigns in India, their cavalry honed along the steppe. The Haruniya were no less warlike, but faced fewer peer competitors, and their forces were less unified. Despite their good position, Ildirim feared the loss of face he would suffer if he retreated from the field without having gained a victory or any plunder. As the aggressor, he felt obliged to attack lest his troops think him a coward.

So Ildirim finally, against his better judgment, abandoned his strong fortifications and well-watered position and advanced on the hills, where Jihangir’s fierce Turkic cavalry waited on the wings to envelop him. In his defense, his plan was good. He struck for a fraction of Jihangir’s force, hoping to turn the left flank and gain the high ground while leaving the bulk of his infantry on the plains to blunt any envelopment. But it was not to be. As his troops left their protected positions they were subject to withering cannon fire, and the heights proved impossible to assault.

The Battle of Kalak was a decisive turning point in the history of the Near East. Iranian forces moved swiftly into Mesopotamia, seizing Tesifon and Susa, among a dozen other great cities, without a shot. Ildirim himself had been captured and was subsequently executed. Moving north, Jihangir besieged Mosil, and although he took the city with ease, he was bogged down in fighting with the Khardi, and his subsequent campaigns into Syria were met with even more difficulty.

And yet, these new rivals were fundamentally parochial - local warlords and city elders - not great would-be conquerors. The anarchy at Emesa had left the Near East leaderless and chaotic, and this power vacuum had only one clear solution - Sah Jihangir, whose chariot (at least for now) rolled across the Near East without obstruction.

[1] The Khardi of Mesopotamia are numerous and wealthy, even hundreds of years after the heyday of their empire. They also loathe the Nowbahar movement and the Theravada Buddhism that is dominant within Iran more generally, as they are worshippers of traditional Iranian polytheism with a little bit of Buddhism on the side.

[2] The fall of the Haruniya left a great vacuum, in no small part because there’s no inherent reason that their patchwork of territories should be a coherent whole. Egypt, Mesopotamia, and Syria under one banner is a potent combination, but not exactly geographically or politically cohesive.

[3] The fact that Jihangir’s father had married into the Ansara dynasty, and then Jihangir himself had come to power in a palace coup, meant he was particularly touchy about his ancestry. Despite this continuity, historians (myself included) often consider the Jihangirid Dynasty something distinct from the Ansara Suf that preceded them. The Jihangirids were deeply Iranian and deeply universalist in a way the Ansara proper were not.

The country of unpronounceable names: A brief history of Cymru
What did happened to cymru and Llewelyn snake-like kingdom?

I can definitely see them being Angland Ireland, aka a state that wishes to be free, or each of the Cymru kingdoms end up developing their own cultures that soon they don't see each other as Cymru
Taking over Sankt-Jan, lol.
I know that but what did the twin crowns get in return?

What did happened to cymru and Llewelyn snake-like kingdom?

I can definitely see them being Angland Ireland, aka a state that wishes to be free, or each of the Cymru kingdoms end up developing their own cultures that soon they don't see each other as Cymru

I know that but what did the twin crowns get in return?

I suppose it's time for another post about Wales.

The Twin Crowns didn't get anything. "Offer [person] couldn't refuse" is idiomatic and implies the person isn't being offered anything, but is being threatened. Since the Twin Crowns garrison pulled out, the implication is that Sankt Jan was threatened into submission.