The New World of the White Huns

crusader pirates crusader pirates
View attachment 556738
(actually, was the Ichthys even known as a Christian symbol in medieval times?)

Not sure, but that emblem would fit very well anyway!

The Hospitallers were essentially crusader pirates in their latter existence OTL and these guys may certainly evolve that way.... I think before they reach that stage they need to pass through the also interesting stage of deciding who to back in the upcoming religious shakeups...
How do the Hospitallers compare to Novaquitaine's other naval levies? Could they be considered (now or near future) a plurality of the seapower available to a state which considers the sea its main area of expansion?
Ah. Novaquitaine has a weak navy by the standards of it's rivals, but it's very questionable how useful the Knights' fleets would be for them - most of the Knightly fleets are galleys well-suited for Mediterranean warfare and very poorly suited for campaigns outside of the Mediterranean. The Knights' presence in the New World is more land based, although I'm sure they have some ships.

Yeah, this is about right. The Knights spend most of their money on galleys and only really invest in oceangoing ships in order to supply (and bring valuable back from) their New World possessions... and they probably underinvest, at that. They have pretentions to protect all Christian sailors everywhere but in practice are focused mostly on the Med. They're weaker than any other European power in ocean-crossing capable ships but could probably go toe-to-toe with anyone except the Mauri in the Med. Numerically they might be at a bit of a disadvantage, but they more than make up for it in experience and fanaticism.

Do these alt-Hospitallers have a presence on Malta?
They have a commandery on Malta, but it is generally considered a stopover point between Carthage and the major Knights citadels on Corcyra and Naxos. Malta TTL has been a possession of Mauri monarchs for centuries. I would imagine Mauri corsairs might consider it more important, however....

Last edited:
Great stuff!! I binge read this series, and I love how you built this world @Practical Lobster !
A doubt, in post #295 there was mention of Khambhayati-Pazdesadan venture in southern Solvia. Was it the same as buying land from Fula territories of OTL Brazil initially or was it somewhere down in OTL Argentina-Uruguay area?
A suggestion I have is to make the timeline more concrete. Reading it I was confused in some of the orders of events where one update covers a lot about one territory over a large time-period and rest posts try to catch up to the same timeline. Maybe make a 50-year time period posts? Just a suggestion, but you are awesome just as you write!

A suggestion I have is to make the timeline more concrete. Reading it I was confused in some of the orders of events where one update covers a lot about one territory over a large time-period and rest posts try to catch up to the same timeline. Maybe make a 50-year time period posts? Just a suggestion, but you are awesome just as you write!

That's good to know for any future timelines! At this point, I don't think I'm going to change up my style terribly much. Let me just say that I very much understand where you're coming from - reading over my own past posts, I very much recognize that I tend to write White Huns in a very vague and very non-chronological way. Other timelines I've done have been, believe it or not, even worse!

I'm glad you enjoy my writing though.

A doubt, in post #295 there was mention of Khambhayati-Pazdesadan venture in southern Solvia. Was it the same as buying land from Fula territories of OTL Brazil initially or was it somewhere down in OTL Argentina-Uruguay area?

It was the same as the Fula territories. I believe there have been some light attempts at settlement in the Argentina-Uruguay area by a variety of groups, including Andilander Norse and Mahratta, but they have not been terribly successful and Ispania has no real interest or need to take them into its sphere of influence.

Great stuff!! I binge read this series, and I love how you built this world @Practical Lobster !

Thank you. It means a lot to me that people are still finding this timeline and binge reading it!

Something I've been thinking about - even at their most profligate, isn't it fair to say that the Nova Aquitainians are simply not spending their silver the way that the Spanish were? They're not really engaging in ruinous wars or spending recklessly yet, and even if they started spending in a big way there's a different mindset, I think - this is a less overtly colonial exploitation because the exploiters live among the exploited.

Instead of a massive wealth transfer back towards some distant metropole, the wealth of the New World is largely staying there until it's traded for commodities or supplies.

This would have several effects. The most obvious is the further crushing of any attempt at domestic industry beyond minimal, feudal, cottage industry to support the castle-hamlet-factory system that develops in Nova Aquitainia for the sole purpose of developing capital. But outside of Nova Aquitainia, it also means Europe won't see that direct influx of wealth, for better and worse. It also means that there's going to be a free-for-all of sorts where the only thing that Nova Aquitainia really has to trade is money.

This is going to have... interesting effects on the ongoing slow-burn commercial revolution, I think.

Something I've been thinking about - even at their most profligate, isn't it fair to say that the Nova Aquitainians are simply not spending their silver the way that the Spanish were? They're not really engaging in ruinous wars or spending recklessly yet, and even if they started spending in a big way there's a different mindset, I think - this is a less overtly colonial exploitation because the exploiters live among the exploited.

Instead of a massive wealth transfer back towards some distant metropole, the wealth of the New World is largely staying there until it's traded for commodities or supplies.

This would have several effects. The most obvious is the further crushing of any attempt at domestic industry beyond minimal, feudal, cottage industry to support the castle-hamlet-factory system that develops in Nova Aquitainia for the sole purpose of developing capital. But outside of Nova Aquitainia, it also means Europe won't see that direct influx of wealth, for better and worse. It also means that there's going to be a free-for-all of sorts where the only thing that Nova Aquitainia really has to trade is money.

Well, there's still a certain recklessness in a very small coastal elite based in Peru to dream of Pacific-coast supremacy from Jalisco to Tierra del Fuego-- it just hasn't proven ruinous for them yet. But yes, while this is still colonialism culturally, in economics it would make a difference that there's no quinto real-- there's no tax that demands silver be taken anywhere but Peru, so wherever silver goes it'll be due to market forces more than state mandate.

That said, a lot of silver may still leave. Selling other people your money can be pretty lucrative, the widespread use of the Spanish piece-of-eight or the Maria Theresa thaler well outside Spanish or Austrian domains shows how just turning metal into a unique variety of coin can make it a whole new product with added value. Depending on how many foreign products Novaquitaine can/wants to import, we may see Chan-chan coins flooding large regions of the New World. But being Solvia's mint may lead to underdevelopment in other areas. And the world has to actually want silver-- there seems to be a possibility that the Chinese conquest/civil wars of the 1600s disrupted Spain's ability to sell silver in exchange for products, with negative effects on Spain.

In the end the problems which afflicted Spain may just end up playing out in Solvia, as silver is "abundant" and yet concentrated in all the wrong hands, so whoever has it pays way too much to get services/products and whoever doesn't, well...

Honestly I don't know too much about this, but I think any investigation would have to begin with the idea that spending too much silver (leading to indebtedness) and having too much (leading to inflation) can both cause different problems, even if they somehow occur concurrently due to the absurd amounts of silver involved.

Last edited:
Yeah, there is a small fraction leaving for Europe because of the Knights, and from indentured soldiers or mercenaries returning home, but otherwise it doesn't leave unless someone comes to them. The only industry I see developing is that related to arms, ships, and armor - and maybe mining-related - and that only because Julian was foresighted enough to realize that maintaining autarky in these things makes them much less vulnerable to Ispania. The Imperial Arsenal also maintains something close to a monopoly on these, as well - all the better to keep his vassals in line. This is still an economy based on exploitation, though, it's just the tools of exploitation are made at home. Even then, though, they probably still rely on the Moors somewhat to bring them the latest technological advances in weaponry and production techniques. I do think the 'franchise feudalism' model of expansion opens up some opportunities to have some of that bullion come back to Europe - there are probably a certain number of 'absentee landlords' living in Angland, Brittany, or the old Frankish heartland. These might be powerful enough to have a local effect on politics, but probably not an economy-distorting one.

One thing I've been reading recently is that the slave trade to Peru was surprisingly vigorous. The population of Lima was half-black at one point. Why was this so? From what I can gather, the Spanish too had a massive manpower shortage - and specifically, in skilled labor trained to tend Eurasian crops and livestock. None of the native knew how to, say, farm rice, work iron, or herd cattle.... but West Africans did! The Spanish also seemed to prefer Africans for house servants, though why specifically I'm not sure.... maybe something like a divide-and-conquer move vs the natives? The one thing the Spanish reserved for the natives alone was the mines. The New Aquitanians have if anything a more massive labor shortage and they can afford to pay, so this will certainly be another way silver leaves the realm. New Aquitaine's tendency is going to be to try to solve all problems by firing a money cannon at them, which will probably have distortionary effects on the slave market and also the market for New World mercenaries.

I feel like there are only so many luxuries a feudal Andean lord can buy, however. At least without trying to cultivate a taste for more... All the world's peddlers of luxuries and vices will try to make an appearance to sell for increasingly inflated prices (I expect having most of the world's silver would tend to detach a society from the idea of what prices are and aren't reasonable....) The Moors will be the biggest beneficiaries of this since they control the majority of their trans-Atlantic trade. The hyperinflation will to a large degree be staying home for now, though, which must make it a pretty brutal place for an unconnected newcomer to make a living. There's going to be an atmosphere of feverish spendthriftiness. I see a significant fraction of the indentured soldiery eventually returning to Europe after grabbing their share of the plunder, seeing no way to make a home amidst the absurdities...

Last edited:
From what I can gather, the Spanish too had a massive manpower shortage - and specifically, in skilled labor trained to tend Eurasian crops and livestock. None of the native knew how to, say, farm rice, work iron, or herd cattle.... but West Africans did!
Ooh, this is worth looking into. But if there's not as many Europeans and they are more assimilated to Andean tastes, then would there be as much demand for Eurasian crops? Eurasian animals may be a different story...

I feel like there are only so many luxuries a feudal Andean lord can buy, however. At least without trying to cultivate a taste for more... All the world's peddlers of luxuries and vices will try to make an appearance to sell for increasingly inflated prices (I expect having most of the world's silver would tend to detach a society from the idea of what prices are and aren't reasonable....)

Novaquitaine is next to the Indosphere, though, so there'll probably be constant pressure from increasingly strong colonial companies trying to flog whatever (... even opium?) in order to unlock unlimited silver. The Indosphere could also offer to make Novaquitaine a middleman in its export trade, so it won't be buying luxuries for its own sake but instead to port them over Panama and resell them. But you're right, without a larger class of consumers (like a big Native middle class) there'll be nothing like the insane British demand for tea.

The hyperinflation will to a large degree be staying home for now, though, which must make it a pretty brutal place for an unconnected newcomer to make a living. There's going to be an atmosphere of feverish spendthriftiness. I see a significant fraction of the indentured soldiery eventually returning to Europe after grabbing their share of the plunder, seeing no way to make a home amidst the absurdities...
"The seasons are all mixed up! And there's silver everywhere, but everyone's poor!"
"Really? Huh, guess everything is upside-down on the Southern Hemisphere..."

Last edited:
Some teasers for the 587 startdate of my mod:
smaliran.PNG
heshana2.PNGmediterranean.PNG

Attachments

• rome falling.PNG
    rome falling.PNG
    317 KB · Views: 300
A sub mod thereof.
By the way, the mod is available at https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/rise-of-the-white-huns-submod.1389843/
Make sure to download WTWSMS first, as it will not work independently.

This is very cool. If I can make some polite suggestions:

1) Akshunwar / Akshunvara shouldn't call himself Rajadhiraja but should use more Sassanian titles. The later Huns have their own terms for nobles - the vayan and padivayan - which may be useful to adopt.

2) Christianity doesn't meaningfully split along East-West lines - at least not to the degree that the game should model it. I'm not sure how you'd handle the flight of the Papacy to Aachen - are there mechanics for false/pretender papacies? It's been a long time.

3) The westward spread of Buddhism probably can't be accomplished without some hardcoding events.

Okay I'm still in like page 18 of this timeline so still far back but there is a question I have about Ukwu.

It is an Igbo Empire right? But it is based on the Niger-Benue confluence far from the Igbo heartland, so there any description of how they got there and how they conquered the native majority Igala people there?

And OTL following increased Trans-atlantic trade, several of the costal villages turned into trade states, the ancient Nri Kingdom declined and a simultaneous wet period might have aided the expansion of Bini, before which Nri was the ritual hegemon of the region.

So with the increased trade are we seeing similar developments yet or is the trade not yet enough for that?

Also different sub-tribes of the Igbo ethnicity while all having the same reverence for personally achieved wealth, started to specialized more and more into different industries, some more agricultural, others more blacksmithing and tool making, others more art making, etc.

Okay I'm still in like page 18 of this timeline so still far back but there is a question I have about Ukwu.

It is an Igbo Empire right? But it is based on the Niger-Benue confluence far from the Igbo heartland, so there any description of how they got there and how they conquered the native majority Igala people there?

And OTL following increased Trans-atlantic trade, several of the costal villages turned into trade states, the ancient Nri Kingdom declined and a simultaneous wet period might have aided the expansion of Bini, before which Nri was the ritual hegemon of the region.

So with the increased trade are we seeing similar developments yet or is the trade not yet enough for that?

Also different sub-tribes of the Igbo ethnicity while all having the same reverence for personally achieved wealth, started to specialized more and more into different industries, some more agricultural, others more blacksmithing and tool making, others more art making, etc.

Honestly, I'd be happy to make adjustments. You seem much more versed on the region than I am - telling the history of the world is a vast undertaking, and I very much welcome any and all corrections or revisions. I have done my best to expand the story to various parts of the world that are rarely covered in alternate history, but in doing so I probably have made some mistakes. If it doesn't make sense for the Igbo to have conquered the Niger-Benue region, then I am happy to alter that.

Can someone make a worlda of the current state of this world?

I will not do so, but I am happy to assist anyone who wishes to. My own mapmaking would be an abomination birthed out of MS paint.

Nah, their homeland is a bit far but it is still plausible, I would have just been interested in hearing how they did it.

But yeah, I was reading a book on South Nigerian history at the time but I dropped it. I'll get back on it and another similar book so that I can help contribute to the world building of this since that is an area you have less knowledge on.

But to add a suggestion I have been ruminating on, what is the possibility of the Nestorians, St Thomas, Asorig and Church of the East, these Churches under the influence of the expanded indo-sphere.

I feel like they are about to have a new avenue of expansion by.

1. Being preferred over others when Christian states want to drop business the indo-sphere and vice versa with when the Info states want to do business with Christiandom.

2. When an African or New world state tries to keep good relations with both the Indo-sphere and Christiandom, converting to Eastern Christianity and/or dealing primarily with these Eastern Christians.

3. This Eastern Christianity coming from the most advanced parts of the world would have higher prestige and have theology that would already take into account more modern conditions, appealing to states that are either only norminally Christian, Heretical or that are at the edges of Papal control.

4. Continuing from 3 it would appeal to Christian states that want to modernize or break away from Papal control plus a direct connection to the more modernized east.

5. The Eastern Christian companies as well may want to spread their religion not only out of evangelical zeal but also to gain special previliages as co-religionists.

(Edit :- Maybe this timeline closest equivalent to Protestantism would be the West getting introduced to printed texts from the Eastern Christians who inhabit more advanced states and whose theology and philosophy would be pondering questions and solutions to problems that the Westerners are just encountering as they lag a bit behind in development)

Also not exactly related but I am assuming most of the Congo converts to the Dharmic faiths and ideologies as they are closer, more advanced and Congo is already influneced by them thru Ganda. But I think in the great power game some more Northern Kingdoms may convert to Christianity to get aid from Christiandom.

Also I wonder how the Mapuche will do in this timeline, OTL they held out longest and almost pushed the Spanish out of Chile under Lautaro. I would personally like to see if they can cut of the more southern part of Nova Aquitaine maybe as part of a proxy war when the Pacific Asians and Indians get in on the colonial action.

Last edited:
We're Back - Steppe Peoples and the Last Gasp of the Khitai
The Fourteenth Century on the Steppe

West of the Tienshan and East of the Aral, life was never easy, never comfortable. The cities of Qarabat and Akmola were still growing in size and prosperity as irrigation works replaced pastureland and as the people of Central Asia began to enjoy the fruits of complex, urban society. This is not to say that their pastoralism was not complex - it was, and it certainly was a viable way of life for countless thousands of people - but the establishment of nearby urban centers lead to an increased diversity and quality of finished goods.

Such sedentary life was protected and supported by the presence of Iranian arms and sometimes, Iranian troops. Iranian interventions into India had sapped this presence to some degree, especially as the fourteenth century wore on and the cost Iranian military adventurism became more apparent, and the Iranians began to look to the security of their western and southern flanks. Into this fourteenth-century vacuum strode confidently the old Oghuz clans, now almost unrecognizable. Their names were new and unfamiliar, but they had the same swagger and confidence that the old steppe warlords had once possessed.

These new would-be warlords were more protection rackets than glorious conquerors however. Pressed in the north by the steady expansion of bright-eyed Russians and their trading forts, they moved in to offer protection where the Iranians could not. But they were as much horse-traders as horse-lords. The Kitai demand for “Sakan” horses expanded far beyond the capacity of the actual surviving Saka to provide - it was a proto-brand name, more than reality. The horses of the Kitai armies were like as not to come from any far flung part of Central Asia. Authenticity was near impossible to prove, especially with the trade primarily mediated by clever Tangut traders, whose markup on the beasts was extreme, especially as the Yaol Dynasty collapsed into final irrelevance. Although on the subcontinent these horse-merchants had to compete with Arab traders, the steppe horse could fetch a fine sum in India as well, with the era of fracturing empires leaving plenty of avenues for an ambitious seller of horses to make a profit.

By 1344 CE, Nanjing had fallen, and with it the Kitai Empire as a whole was tottering. After a failed rear-guard action outside Kaifeng in 1347 CE, the remaining generals and officers of the Empire - those who had not taken their lives or fallen to the gunfire of Xu Zhenyi, fled back to the steppe. Ordobeliq, the “Exalted Northern Capital” still held out. It was remote, far beyond the most ambitious dreams of the rebel Qing to seize. The rebel armies, after all, were mostly peasant in their orientation - after “liberating” their own locality only vague ideological compulsions and fear of their officers could persuade them to go onwards. Leaving “China” proper to embark on assaults past the great wall? That was another question entirely. Even the magistrates and officers of the rebellion-cum-dynasty questioned the value of that, and Xu Zhenyi was wise not to press the issue, with the Tangut and the Tibetans now autonomous, and insurrection still smouldering in the Tai South.

So where did that leave the Kitai? Emperor Xingzong was dead. His children were children with a Han woman, and captives who were soon to be dead besides. Qadir Irbas, the last man to try to hold it all together, had died in his sleep a year before the fall of the capital. This clique of generals and nobles who had fled north were, in the eyes of the steppe nomads who surrounded them, soft and effeminate. Buyan was beloved among the Kitai, but almost laughable for the people who actually had to survive on the steppe. The generals and aristocrats began to face a grim reality - they had not been canny enough for the south, but maybe, just maybe, they were not hard enough to survive in the north. They had expected to rally all the federate tribes to their banner, but this was pure arrogance. The Julishe and Naiman, Merkit and Kerait, all laughed at this claim. They had exacted tribute from the Kitai. They were not vassals, not really.

By the fourteenth century, one tribe stood particularly prominent. Da’aritay Khan, leader of the Jalayr Mongols, was particularly happy to see the Kitai humiliated, and proposed that Ordobeliq should be sacked. Gathering a conference of the great steppe leaders, he suggested that the heads of prominent Kitai generals and officers could be gathered and sent south to the new Qing… before the traditional demand of continued tribute was made. An offering of peace such as that would make their collective demands seem more reasonable.

Da’aritay, it is probable, had grander ambitions still. By leading an assault on Ordobeliq, he hoped to unify the disunited peoples of the northeastern steppe into a single, unified confederation. Perhaps in time such a confederation could even challenge China. But by the time the confederation reached Ordobeliq, they found the city largely deserted, apart from monks and those too poor or too stubborn to flee. The Exalted Northern Capital made a poor target for a sack. Da’aritay would be killed later that same year while hunting, and the Turco-Kerait Toghril Khan would instead take up that honor - by virtue of proximity to China, he became the primary diplomat mediating the relations between the steppe and the settled rivers and valleys of China. His attempt to make himself Khagan, however, would be met with equal failure, as the other tribes rallied together to ensure none of them would ever become too powerful. Long history under the Yaol had hardened them against such a future.

What then was the fate of the Kitai? The remaining commanders of the Kitai, with all their armor and horses and fine guns, fled west - they had no other option, with their enemies everywhere rising in power. They slipped through the land of the Naiman with relatively little opposition - a fact that suggests the Khan of the Naiman was intentionally trying to slight Da’aritay and ensure his plans came to nothing - and passed into Turkic lands. There, they came into direct conflict with the mercenaries and bandits making their living off of the trade of the west, and at first were able to score major victories when misunderstandings inevitably ensued. The Kitai were well armed veterans, and the Oghuz had bled much of their martial vigor in southern campaigns where the Iranians offered the promise of land and silver in exchange for service.

In another world, those who survived might have been driven south, pushed hard against the Iranian border, leading to the cyclical collapse of the Iranian state, the rise of a new Turkic regime, while the Kitai created a new tribal confederation on the steppe until they in turn were driven off, perhaps by the Naiman, when the next harsh famine or cold winter struck. But these days were over. The Oghuz took shelter in their walled cities and towns, and the Kitai lacked the means to disrupt them. So while some flocks might be savaged, the rough years of the late forties, where the Kitai operated as brigands, were not so hard as to be unbearable. Furthermore, the Kitai adhered to a strict rule of not harming monastic communities, which were, if not numerous in the region, at least commonplace enough that herders could shelter within their walls and wait for the rampaging Kitai to pass.

The Turkic people, however, sought out a more permanent solution, and they found it in a young and promising leader named Kuluq Kurkun. Kuluq had served in the Iranian armies for a time, before traveling home to Akmola, where he had found his way into the service of the town elders as a sort of caravan guard and leader of the Akmola’s army, such as it was. Kuluq was no stranger to the tactics of the Kitai, nor was he a stranger to violence - in fact, he excelled at both things. In addition, he was well-connected within the broader tribal community - able to rally herders and townsfolk alike to his banner. In summary, he was simply a perfectly well-connected person at the right moment. And when he took the field against the Kitai, he did not simply wander out looking, but rather he staged an elaborate trap - a caravan ostensibly loaded with valuables, but in fact filled with tufenj and even a few cannon.

The Kitai were repulsed quickly after the “Battle of the Ditch” as it became known (for a particularly muddy spot where many of the Kitai raiders became stuck and were slain). Not every Kitai warrior died here - many survived, and either continued their now hopeless campaign to carve out a dominion, or ultimately were assimilated into various armies as mercenary soldiers. But they were finished as a viable threat. Those who endured left little visible influence in culture or language, whether on the plains of Central Asia or those lucky few who survived the slaughters of the early Qing Dynasty.

Apart from this burst of political chaos, the first half of the fourteenth century should be seen, especially in Central Asia, as a period of artistic and cultural solidification. The “Turkificiation” of the steppe, as noted in the return to traditional religious and cultural practices, and the rejection of Iranian culture and Nowbahar Buddhism, continued apace, perhaps encouraged by a similar process in the eastern steppe, where the various tribal confederations, now free of the Kitai, shed themselves of the “foriegn innovation” of buyan and China in one fell swoop.

Still, this is not to say that the material culture of Turkic Central Asia was not vibrant and did not take in outside influences. Wild songbirds preserved in wine and apple jam were another famous delicacy noted by travelers to the region, along with the quality of its lamb (served by the rich with imported saffron from Tabaristan). Persian delicacies, such as surkhabaj (meat served with crushed grain, honey and vinegar) made their appearance in the fare of the common people, as did great quantities of grape and date wine, which began replacing the traditional fermented drinks of the Turks even as religion and art grew more conservative. Wine, of course, could never truly replace milk as the great drink of the nomadic peoples, and the monastic communities were quick to counsel against the deleterious effects of drunkeneness.

Trade continued and expanded in this period. Akmola in particular was famous for its export of watermelon in ice-filled lead containers, where it became a favorite of the courts of the Near East and India. This melon was famed for its sweetness and texture, and became a watchword among melon cultivars the world over. Carpets, rugs, silk cloth, bedding, and cotton robes were exported in great quantities from the lands around the Vehrod. Cloth of gold and silk were made in small quantities for the elites, but these rare artistic achievements were preserved meticulously in the palaces of the elite across the Near East. In the Xasar court such techniques were imitated meticulously.

The cities grew fat on this trade, fat enough that the Turkic “protectors” of trade were able to take their fill and leave plenty behind. Structures of sun-dried brick and stone more and more replaced the old yurts as people began to move less and less, and shift their agricultural packages towards more sedentary behaviors further and further north.

All these depictions, of course, focus on the Turkic world, and those places not under outright Iranian rule besides. In places like Samarkand and Pandjikent, which had long been settled (and were home to far less Turks besides), these changes were of course less obvious. Here, the local Sahs presided over a world that was, for the first time in ages, seemingly in a sort of stable and prosperous stasis. They hoped that it would never change.

The “Turkificiation” of the steppe, as noted in the return to traditional religious and cultural practices, and the rejection of Iranian culture and Nowbahar Buddhism, continued apace, perhaps encouraged by a similar process in the eastern steppe, where the various tribal confederations, now free of the Kitai, shed themselves of the “foriegn innovation” of buyan and China in one fell swoop.
However, I think centuries of Buddhist domination should have an impact on the tribes of the Eurasian Steppe.

Great to see this TL updated again! The updates focussing on Central Asia are always fascinating, and this is certainly no exception, good to see it is doing so well for now.

However, I think centuries of Buddhist domination should have an impact on the tribes of the Eurasian Steppe.

Oh absolutely. But my last post on the area focused on how there'd been interest in a rediscovery of local culture (largely in reaction to perceived Iranian dominance) and repudiating the Nowbahar is a big part of that. The majority of the population is Buddhist, just not *Nowbahar* Buddhist. And even if they venerate Tengri, they're still Buddhists.

Great to see this TL updated again! The updates focussing on Central Asia are always fascinating, and this is certainly no exception, good to see it is doing so well for now.

Thanks! It's good to be back.