The NEW Our TimeLine Maps Thread!

It very likely was split into 3 at some point, considering when Nigeria became independent it was split that way, however when exactly the split occurred is more the question.

Unfortunately Qaz stopped showing Administrative divisions in the maps after 1938, so I can't tell based on that.

OK. A bit of research indicates the following:

1900: Niger Coast Protectorate united with the territories charted by the Royal Niger Company to form the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria, occuping the territory around the Mouth of the Niger and the river up to Lokoja.

1906: Lagos Colony added to create the colony and Protectorate of Southern Nigeria. You can just about make out the border indicated on this map, which seems to be backed up by this one, this one and looking closely this one also.

1914: Protectorate of Northern Nigeria added, administered seperately to the south as it was supposed to be supported by the trade excess in the south. As such the basic division was North/South, with the South also being subdivided into Colony/Protectorate, though note along the Niger River. Presumably on independence that made a more logical border.

i know that feeling, i give you 1938. Use morganhauser's 1942 map for the borders of the occupied czechoslovakia. you might want to check out the QBAM improvement thread for a more detailed and accurate geography

If this is the 1930's then the banovinas in Yugoslavia require revision.

And at some point in or after 1914 the south was split was 2.

In which case the Souths divisioins would'nt be shown anymore than we say show the counties of U.S. states.

Incidentaly here's my attempt at a corrected version of Nigeria;

Colonial Nigeria.png

I'm not sure. There does appear to have been a clear administrative difference between the Colony and the Protectorate in Southern Nigeria. It's the equivelent of showing the division between the provinces of the Union of South Africa at the very least.

I'm not sure. There does appear to have been a clear administrative difference between the Colony and the Protectorate in Southern Nigeria. It's the equivelent of showing the division between the provinces of the Union of South Africa at the very least.

I agree. The counties of the US are not shown because they are not sufficiently important as administrative units. We should show significant divisions, even if they are at a lower level.

In this case i think it would be like showing only the cultural regions of Belgium but not the provinces or showing borders of Scotland, England and Wales but not the counties.