The New Order: Last Days of Europe - An Axis Victory Cold War Mod for HoIIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
In current run entire Russia is under various despots (1967 every region is unified): Western Russia - KONR under military dicatorship of Bunyachenko; West Siberia - Omsk (yes they are ultranats, but on regional stage they temporary adopt despotist image and they are military hunta, so still counts I guess?); Siberia - Rurik (did not checked who in favour among heirs); Far East - Magadan under Matkovsky who countercouped Petlin (me). Even Kazakhstan is unified under that bandit "khan".

Magadan is very interesting state to play with its writing, even when one of its paths is quite clearly cut out from released content. And can't wait its implemetation in next big update - Werbell's mercenary coup looks like super fun.

Off-topic and on a lighter note:
222gxbqkznm51.jpg
Imagine Frank (Danny Devito) from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia as Scorza (The Current Portrait) doing a bunch of things? Or heck imagine Joe Rogan being Scorza (The Old Portrait) wanting to bodyslam Ciano for trying to end Fascism.
"I DIDN'T GO TO EGYPT SO CIANO COULD TAKE MY FASCISM!"

"You went to Egypt in 1957, to attend one of Farouk's feasts!"

"AND A LOT OF GOOD MEN DIED IN THAT FEAST!"

*Breathes in*

So, after so much thinking...

I came to the conclusion that really, no other path for Germany is worthy apart from the Gang of Four...

yeah, all other paths won't allow you to get the best thing possible.

"Gukpa, what is such a great thing? Democracy?"

No, not democracy, something greater...

"What? Freeing Europe from the nazi system?"

Bigger.

"THE POSSIBILITY TO KILL HERR SCHÖRNER???"

BIGGER

"ACH MEIN GOTT, HERR GUKPA! WHAT IS THIS EXTREMELY POSITIVE THING THAT THE GANG OF FOUR CAN GIVE US?!"

The gang of four...

Alows you to...

Remove enought of the censorship...

To...

"To...?"

To...

"To...?!?!?!"

TO ALLOW FALCO TO RISE AND BE THE GREATEST SINGER IN THE WORLD!

"OH MEIN GOTT DAS IST WUNDERBAR!"

ALL HAIL DIE GROSSEFALCOISCHES REICH!

How bad would the Hawaii-Panama trade between USA and Japan would be? In case of crisis US navy will literally be divided between those in pacific and atlantic.

So I just tried my hand playing as Italy with the intention of pursuing the Reformist Scorza Path, and for the second time I ended up wrapping up a playthrough early, this time in frustration; earlier I had attempted to play as Liberal Japan, but the investigation at the beginning gradually wore away my interest, combined with an inability to meaningfully intervene in any of the wars within the Sphere and me not being sure how to best manage Naval Production.
Note: To be clear from the start, I'm sure most of the below is already known by the Devs and on the list to be fixed; this particular account is colored, again, by my frustration due to a combination of bad luck and unintentional road blocks.
Unfortunately there are simply too many bugs when it comes to a number of interactions or events for Italy, the most notable being the Italian Diplomacy GUI; as a significant part of any Italian Strategy is getting the Balkans and France into your sphere of influence so you can get access to resources and extra factories, the inability to actually do this meant that normally I'd have little reason to invest during the Great Game(s). You can get around this by editing the save file, but there are a number of different variables that go into specifying the client-state level that must be kept track of.
The Greeks rebelled, but I spent a good year or so waiting for the Declaration of War event to fire before doing so manually, but the aftermath of the conflict seemed to have taken none of my choices in the lead-up events into account. The Declaration of War on Croatia after they fell the Ustase was also significantly delayed, firing close to a year after the coup, and for some reason I was not allowed to place a frontline on their Southern Border (or alongside Serbia for that matter). The first time I fought the Italo-Turkish War the Italian Levant only had a skeleton crew alongside the Turkish border (in favor of the Suez), and then proceeded to get themselves encircled and smashed in the matter of weeks before my volunteers could arrive; I've seen the Levant perform well in most of my games, but for whatever reason this time they failed spectacularly. Manually moved the Levant's units around so that they'd be on the Turkish border come the war and managed a victory, which felt as though something was going right...... until they were overthrown by the Arab Nationalists. The inability to do anything about that was...... well it was just another mark alongside the others. Honestly, I feel as though Italy should have at least some say in which focuses its direct puppets, the Levant, the Gulf, Algeria, pursue, as especially in the first case I have found that the AI has little to no idea how to balance the scale between the Irgun and the Arabs, and only manages to do so by sheer luck.
There is also the Empire Management System which, honestly, doesn't seem to have much of a purpose beyond deciding whether you want an area to collapse or not. I've never invested more than two points into any region (nor does it seem possible to), and at times those points can be stuck in those regions when they may no longer be necessary. This is probably a case where the Middle East and North Africa reworks will have it make more sense, but at the moment I can't tell if I would be locked out of certain decisions with only a single point available.
So, what would I change outside of general bugfixing:
  1. The Italian Diplomacy GUI needs a major retooling. For one, it needs to be made apparent that when you click the button to influence a country in your sphere you are actually doing so over time; for a lot of people the change from a paid cost of (75) pp to increase influence to what is in place now wasn't apparent. I'd also suggest the map itself be expanded to include all nations and regions which come under Italian influence, including Algeria, whatever State(s) that arise from the Levant, Yemen, the Italian colonies, Iraq, etc.
  2. There need to be edits to AI behavior so that they will ignore the borders of countries with which they would normally be aligned, and they also need to move their troops into position in the days or weeks before a War is about to start.
  3. In the case of a Turkish victory in the Italo-Turkish War, it is stated in the event that the Dodecanese and Cyprus are ceded to Turkey by the Italians, something which doesn't actually happen. Not sure if this was a simple oversight or if the Treaty Terms themselves changed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As an aside, something that I think would actually greatly benefit the Mod are Country-Specific Research Modifiers, somewhat akin to the Tech Schools that existed in Victoria and Victoria 2. While not especially important, I have noticed that I tend to drive my research in a very specific direction no matter what country I am playing as, and so far there hasn't been much incentive for me to do otherwise. Conceptually, this would mean that certain countries are more skilled in developing tech in certain fields, worse so in others. It would add another level of flavor, but also better represent a country's strengths and weaknesses, pushing players to adapt their strategies around them; these Modifiers would ideally change over time though, principally through focuses that reflect research buffs already.

How bad would the Hawaii-Panama trade between USA and Japan would be? In case of crisis US navy will literally be divided between those in pacific and atlantic.
There is a reason why the United States would never consider it, given it would mean subjecting most of their Navy to the Horn, and more than double the response time should force in the Atlantic or Pacific need to be redeployed. It'd also allow the Japanese to gain revenue from the shipping traffic going through the Canal, which would also enable them to put a squeeze on the American Economy in a way they'd never had before. There really is no upside to this agreement that makes it worth the exchange.

You know all this stuff would be more usefull, if you actually went on the discord or reddit, so the mods can see it.
It's not "spitting against the wind" if you simply dont post your review in a place where people are actively watching.
A couple of things:
  1. Having never used Reddit, let alone looked at it much, I honestly have no idea how best to put up the information on the Reddit. As it was the first time I came across the TNO Subreddit I saw nothing but Memes, so the immediate impression I got was that that wasn't the place to do it. However, looking at it at length I now can see that I was wrong, the variety of posts is far more extensive then that. In the interests of keeping with the posting rules, how should I "Flair" these posts?
  2. I've actually been on the Discord; never have used it much before, but you're right that I should have been sending the stuff there to begin with. It was suggested before that I should send, well, suggestions to the Feedback of the Plebian Assembly; is that correct?

A couple of things:
  1. Having never used Reddit, let alone looked at it much, I honestly have no idea how best to put up the information on the Reddit. As it was the first time I came across the TNO Subreddit I saw nothing but Memes, so the immediate impression I got was that that wasn't the place to do it. However, looking at it at length I now can see that I was wrong, the variety of posts is far more extensive then that. In the interests of keeping with the posting rules, how should I "Flair" these posts?
  2. I've actually been on the Discord; never have used it much before, but you're right that I should have been sending the stuff there to begin with. It was suggested before that I should send, well, suggestions to the Feedback of the Plebian Assembly; is that correct?
Hmm are you using reddit on phone? If you open it from browser there is no option to flair, you need to install the app to flair post. Alternatively you can flair reddit post from browser if you open it from computer.

The "canon" TL is simply a number of outcomes that are confirmed as having happened, solely for the sake of later installments of TNO.
  • Zhukov unites Russia.
  • Bormann wins the GCW
  • China wins the GAW
USA has only R-D presidents through 1985
The Second West Russian War ends in a draw followed by Bormann Germany collapsing
India does not have a civil war

...later instalments of TNO? What?

USA has only R-D presidents through 1985
The Second West Russian War ends in a draw followed by Bormann Germany collapsing
India does not have a civil war

Later start date for the second decade. Or the mythical TNO3 which take place in third decade in a OFN dominated world but they are slowly losing their grip, this will be entirely separated mod (though it may not even happen).

chankljp

Donor

When people talk about 'TNO 2', they are referring to when the mod gets updated that allows you to keep playing into the 1970s-1980s. The update will include a new start date, Sort of like how in vanilla HOI, you can start in later stages of WW2 instead of always starting from the beginning in 1 January, 1936. Hence, there is a canonical outcome of how the TNO world by the 1970s would look like. Or like how in the DH version of KR, there is a Second Russo-Japanese War scenario that shows a 'canon' outcome for China, Japan, and Russia.

However, from my understanding, thankfully, even the non-canon paths for TNO will still have new content if you get to them by starting from the 1960s start date.

... Personally, I think this was a massive mistake. To start with, For a narrative driven mod like TNO, similar to say... Mass Effect or KOTOR, most players would have gotten attached to their own preferred paths, and will not like the idea of their personal headcanon not being canon. And even if someone likes the canon outcome, playing as a WRRF under Zukov that you jumped into the shoes of with the a 1970s start-date is just not going to be the same or be nearly as emotionally meaningful as you having played as Zukov from the start since the 1960s. So I suspect that once it is out, not even that many people will bother with the 1970s start-date, and take the long way around to reach that later date instead.

Just my own thoughts on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.