The New Order: Last Days of Europe - An Axis Victory Cold War Mod for HoIIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
ovapg2301ra11.png

How the fuck is this racist
Since when are "Central Africans" an ethnicity?

Africa is by far the most diverse continent on the planet, genetically and linguistically. You have Nilotic speakers next to Afro-Semitic speakers next to northern Niger-Congo speakers of like 16 different branches next to the Bantu languages (the ones that are still mostly indigenous and the ones that are influenced by Arabic like Swahili) and then there's the Mbuti and Aka and San and then there's Madagascar which is full of people with roots distantly in Indonesia.

That survey (besides asking for a Hell of a lot more information than I feel comfortable giving out) has some deeply troubling distinctions made in its options. For example, saying that Slavic people are not Caucasian is a key part of Nazi ideology, and was one of the motivations for Generalplan Ost, the planned destruction of the various East and Central Slavic peoples by the Third Reich that fortunately they never managed to properly execute. Furthermore, linguistically speaking Hungarians, along with Finns and Estonians, are speakers of a largely Finno-Ugric language (with Slavic, Greek, Germanic, and Romance admixture in the case of the Hungarians) and originally migrated into Europe from the Russian steppes over a thousand years ago. As the bulk of the cultures of Europe, with the prominent exception of the Basques, are speakers of various Indo-European languages, predominantly Italic/Romance, Germanic, and Slavic, with much admixture on the borders of medieval states that maintained some territorial cohesion for extended periods. (For example, Belarussian is basically Polish that's been hammered into a Russian mold, Ukrainian is Russian's angry brother, Czech has a lot of German admixture, German has a lot of dialects, accents, and closely related languages because of the period of disunity in the HRE period, English is basically dirty Plautdeutsch or Dutch that's replaced its posh vocabulary with French loanwords and then corrupted the grammar and spelling of it all, Danish has bent slightly towards German from the original Old Norse (which is most similar to modern Icelandic), et cetera)

tl;dr: It's kinda weird to call an ethnolinguistic bloc of, what, 12+ cultures who speak Indo-European languages of the main European diaspora, and who've lived in Europe for literally millennia, distinct from European, and given the central importance that hatred of Slavs holds to the Nazis (second only to hating Jews and Romani people IIRC), it's kinda skeevy in the extreme. And yes, racist.

Jesus Christ

Since when are "Central Africans" an ethnicity?
I'm not an ethnicity researcher, and I wasn't planning on listing every single ethnicity known to man on the survey. I didn't want a blanket African ethnicity and I didn't want every single African culture listed on there for size reasons. We had North African and South African, so I decided to split it up a bit with one for Central Africa.

Africa is by far the most diverse continent on the planet, genetically and linguistically. You have Nilotic speakers next to Afro-Semitic speakers next to northern Niger-Congo speakers of like 16 different branches next to the Bantu languages (the ones that are still mostly indigenous and the ones that are influenced by Arabic like Swahili) and then there's the Mbuti and Aka and San and then there's Madagascar which is full of people with roots distantly in Indonesia.

That survey (besides asking for a Hell of a lot more information than I feel comfortable giving out) has some deeply troubling distinctions made in its options. For example, saying that Slavic people are not Caucasian is a key part of Nazi ideology, and was one of the motivations for Generalplan Ost, the planned destruction of the various East and Central Slavic peoples by the Third Reich that fortunately they never managed to properly execute. Furthermore, linguistically speaking Hungarians, along with Finns and Estonians, are speakers of a largely Finno-Ugric language (with Slavic, Greek, Germanic, and Romance admixture in the case of the Hungarians) and originally migrated into Europe from the Russian steppes over a thousand years ago. As the bulk of the cultures of Europe, with the prominent exception of the Basques, are speakers of various Indo-European languages, predominantly Italic/Romance, Germanic, and Slavic, with much admixture on the borders of medieval states that maintained some territorial cohesion for extended periods. (For example, Belarussian is basically Polish that's been hammered into a Russian mold, Ukrainian is Russian's angry brother, Czech has a lot of German admixture, German has a lot of dialects, accents, and closely related languages because of the period of disunity in the HRE period, English is basically dirty Plautdeutsch or Dutch that's replaced its posh vocabulary with French loanwords and then corrupted the grammar and spelling of it all, Danish has bent slightly towards German from the original Old Norse (which is most similar to modern Icelandic), et cetera)
Yes thank you I know what the Holocaust is and the origins of the Slavic peoples

Someone asked what a Russian would put if they didn't consider themselves European or Asian, someone suggested a general 'Slavic' as a catch-all for such peoples, they got in.

Thanks for automatically assuming I'm a racist when we literally built our community on pride in our diversity. But yeah you're right, I'm secretly ascribing to Nazi ideology and despise all Slavs and Africans, got me, TNO was all just a clever ruse to make people think I despise Nazism and fascist ideologies.

I'm just pointing out that it is very suspect when anyone on the Internet, regardless of what they're doing, intentionally separates "Slavic" and "European" as separate groups. As far as I'm aware, only Nazis and hardline Russian nationalists regularly make that distinction.

I'm just pointing out that it is very suspect when anyone on the Internet, regardless of what they're doing, intentionally separates "Slavic" and "European" as separate groups. As far as I'm aware, only Nazis and hardline Russian nationalists regularly make that distinction.
Live in Russia, and even if that distinction isn't universally accepted among the population, it is common far from only "Nazis and hardline Nationalists". I'm not much fond of that distinction either, but I can understand why it was made in the poll.

Live in Russia, and even if that distinction isn't universally accepted among the population, it is common far from only "Nazis and hardline Nationalists". I'm not much fond of that distinction either, but I can understand why it was made in the poll.
Huh.

That's still leaving out pretty much every other Slavic ethnicity, though. Ukrainians, Lithuanians, Poles, Czechs, Serbs...I mean, the Slavic languages cover a lot, and they're solidly within the European set of Indo-European languages.

no one

Banned
I've read somewhere that Castro ITTL allied himself with the US. so I have a question. what happened to Che Guevara?

You know, I have been thinking... If the the plot of alt-Star War is going to change depending on which contender manages to win the German Civil War, perhaps a reformist minded Reich under Speer can be something like the Fel Empire from the Legends/Expanded Universe. In that it will be an authoritarian regime, it will be under the rule of an 'Enlightened Despotism' instead of the tyrannical and xenophobic nightmare that it once was.

Perhaps Jagged Fel in the film can be an expy of not just Speer, but also the younger generation of Germans that fought and bleed for the cause of change and liberalisation in their homeland, while Admiral Gilad Pellaeon will represent the more 'progressive-minded' Nazis in the older generation such as Theodor Oberländer. And the entire movie will have a more... Uplifting tone about how the hopes of peace in the world is now once again a possibility. Think something along the lines of "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country".

With this line from one of the novels being used to represent the thawing of relations between the US and Germany:

Luke: May the Force be with you, Admiral.
Pellaeon: Once upon a time, I was certain I'd never hear those words directed toward me.
Luke: Times change.

I'm thinking maybe Lucas has the empire always exising, but fracture into a civil war with all sides wanting to continue it. However the rebels are the nicest of the lot and want a constitutional monarchy. Goering would be maybe be represented by alt Tarkin, and Bormann by Presage, I think Himmler/Heydrich can be a really human supremacist faction(I was thinking Himmler being a Vitiate/Valkorion stand in with plans to destroy the entire galaxy via dark side rituals, but that dosen't work since no one knows of Himmler's true goals)

Last edited:
@Panzer
I have three questions:
1. Is there currently a focus tree in works for any of the Chinese nations?
2. What ideology does Japan start as? I would assume Despotism.
3. Will India have an Ultranat path?

@Panzer
I have three questions:
1. Is there currently a focus tree in works for any of the Chinese nations?
2. What ideology does Japan start as? I would assume Despotism.
3. Will India have an Ultranat path?
I'm not Panzer, but in Discord he and other developers confirmed that there will be focus trees for the Chinese states (though, due to recent announcement, some of them can be scrapped by the release date) and Japan starts as Despotist. Meanwhile, it is basically confirmed that there won't be an Ultranat path for India, since Ultranats in the Indian government screen are placeholders for Pakistani separatists.

I know the city of Yekaterinburg in Russia is a major center of monarchist pilgrimage in Russia today and was during the Soviet Union. With the Soviets gone is it at all plausible for the region to proclaim a kingdom?

EDIT: the city itself is briefly shown in the dev diary on Russia but nothing is known about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.