The Need for Speed: Technology Thread

Delta Force

Banned
The Mighty Midge

506de48e-e991-4755-943a-3e369c0ee9ce_zps2fc3047d.jpg

The Folland Gnat T-1 was the first aircraft used by the Red Arrows, the demonstration
team of the Royal Air Force.
Photo Credit.

While many successful and long serving trainers and light fighters originated in the 1950s, perhaps none have a background as unique as those of the Folland Midge family. One of the United Kingdom's most successful jet aircraft series, the Midge series aircraft were W.E.W. Petter's idea of the ideal jet fighter, a small, affordable, easily maintained aircraft. With an empty weight on par with a medium sized car and similarly small dimensions, the aircraft are almost the complete opposite of the fifteen ton English Electric Lightning, another Petter design.

Starting as private venture in 1951, the Gnat was evaluated by several militaries, including the Royal Air Force. Its fighter-like handling and high speed found favor in India, which purchased a license to produce two hundred trainers. Additional sales were concluded with Australia, South Africa, and Yugoslavia. After modifying the hydraulics and other systems to improve control and reliability, Folland began planning advanced Gnat variants.

de892cca-cb13-48f2-808f-cdf48605118b_zpsb6e1c32b.jpg

With the selection of the Bristol Siddeley BS.75 engine, the Mosquito II became the
first fighter aircraft to enter service with a turbofan engine.
Photo Credit.

In 1958, Folland became one of several firms purchased by Hawker Siddeley. While Petter considered leaving the company after the merger, he was allowed a large degree of autonomy to pursue further development of the Gnat. The merger came at a fortunate time, as the program was in an early stage of development, allowing the aircraft to be designed around a conventional variant of Bristol Siddeley's new Orpheus derived Pegasus thrust vectoring engine. Known as the BS.75, the new engine offered the promise of over 10,000 pounds thrust and reduced fuel consumption while requiring minimal airframe redesign. Already a small aircraft, this engine provided the design with more thrust than much larger aircraft, including the Douglas A-4 Skyhawk. Fuel capacity was increased by the adoption of a wet wing, although the new aircraft shared the Lightning's rather unique characteristic of being capable of acceleration through to fuel depletion. Improved avionics, air-to-air missile capabilities, and an additional two pylons rounded out the redesigned fighter variant.

e3903d80-feea-4250-a099-3b9130c9fa54_zps4eb43f42.jpg

3a6a0b1e-21d4-4e07-8b23-6395b22ed018_zps57c5ee39.jpg

d7b323f3-ab5d-41a9-98e7-5052728d1a0d_zps5e78fc9f.jpg

Early diagrams of the Folland Fly/Mosquito II series fighters, which were originally to
have been equipped with uprated Bristol Siddeley Orpheus engines. From top to
bottom: The Folland Fly, Folland Mosquito II, and Folland Sea Mosquito II. Photo
Credit 1, Photo Credit 2, Photo Credit 3.

With this new improvements and capabilities came new names. The supersonic trainer became the Folland Fly, the air force fighter became the Folland Mosquito II, and the navalized model became the Sea Mosquito II. Although a relatively short ranged interceptor aircraft with minimal air-to-ground capabilities, the type attracted the attention of the Royal Navy and other militaries operating aircraft carriers with short decks. The type was the smallest carrier capable aircraft since the propeller era, occupying less than half the deck space of the Douglas A-4 Skyhawk and ensuring it a niche on smaller aircraft carriers, like those of the Majestic class. The first order for the new aircraft family came with the Royal Canadian Navy's 1962 purchase of Sea Mosquito IIs, providing a modern replacement for the aging McDonnell F2H Banshee. This marked the beginning of a steady stream of orders from nations around the world, making the Midge one of the most successful and widespread of postwar Western aircraft. After the RCN order, and with his dream fighter complete, Petter permanently retired from the aerospace industry.

-----

Links of Interest:
W.E.W. Petter
Folland Gnat Derivatives
Bristol Siddeley BS.75 on Secret Projects
Bristol Siddeley BS.75 on Flight Global (Part 1)
Bristol Siddeley BS.75 on Flight Global (Part 2)
HAL Ajeet (the historical ultimate development of the Gnat)

I may be wrong, but I've always been under the impression that Petter would rather have his fingernails pulled, rather than work for the Hawker Group, which seemed to buy the companies he worked at.

Another point is that turbo-fan by-pass comes with a small price to pay, which is increased engine diameter such as the difference between 32 and a half inches, and 48 inches. Petter would have to do a lot more than fitting bigger tires, a task he refused to do for a NATO contract won by the inferior G.91. This must be one of those engines built with the new math.

The nose cone over the "I hope not Blue Cement" radar seems terribly counter-productive of higher mach numbers, as per experience not yet experienced with Tornado ADV.

Delta Force

Banned
I may be wrong, but I've always been under the impression that Petter would rather have his fingernails pulled, rather than work for the Hawker Group, which seemed to buy the companies he worked at.

He didn't like having to give up control, so I butterflied him being given a bit of leeway at the company. The Gnat fills a niche in the company's portfolio.

Another point is that turbo-fan by-pass comes with a small price to pay, which is increased engine diameter such as the difference between 32 and a half inches, and 48 inches. Petter would have to do a lot more than fitting bigger tires, a task he refused to do for a NATO contract won by the inferior G.91. This must be one of those engines built with the new math.

My sources say the BS.75 was around 1.5 inches wider, so it wouldn't require massive redesign.

My sources say the BS.75 was around 1.5 inches wider, so it wouldn't require massive redesign.

Sources for unfinished projects can be a bitch. The BS.75 certainly is heftier than Orpheus, at 835 lb dry vs. 1610 or 1525 lbs dry depending on source. I doubt the added weight comes from density alone.

The fact that the engine was an unfinished project also brings up the ugly fact that the gummint was unusually bent on reducing the number of companies involved in aviation binness.