The Monarchy is Dead, Long Live the Monarchy!

Tuesday, April 27th, 1990

The House of Wyndham gathered together for the first time in six years. King Arthur II presided over the photo op, with his brother and heir apparent Albert, the Duke of York. As King Arthur and Queen Margaret were well into their mid-50s with no issue, talk was being made of installing the younger Albert as Prince of Wales.

That never passed, for as 49 members of the House of Wyndham gathered on stage, several men, women, and children, a freak electrical surge occurred with the camera equipment used to take the photographs. The entire Royal family was electrocuted, killed in the most gruesome way imaginable. King Arthur, Queen Margaret, Prince Albert, Duchess Eleanor, all dead. Prince Albert's children and grandchildren, also dead.

House of Wyndham.png
Above: The final image of the House of Wyndham. All 49 Wyndhams in this photo were electrocuted mere seconds after this photo was taken.

Monarchy in the United Kingdom appeared to be dead. A new source, to satisfy the Succession Act of 1843 needed to be found. Two cases would be brought forth by the King's Assistant Private Secretary, Mr. Duncan Phipps, with one surprising source at the forefront.

----

Monday, April 27th, 1833

Princess Alexandra Victoria fiddled with her dress. At 18, she despised being wedded off to Arthur Wyndham, 3rd Baron Wyndham. He was twenty years her senior and practically a commoner at his rank. But she was assured by her private secretary that a marriage would help strengthen ties with Ireland, and as heiress to the throne and only daughter of the King, she needed to ensure a smooth succession within all the realms.

Arthur was the only thing preventing another Jacobite rebellion.

----

Monday, April 27th, 1702

King William's horse, Sorrel, neighed, nearly throwing the King off mere inches in front of a molehill that definitely would have thrown the King off and broken his collarbone. By sheer fortune, he was saved from a painful death. He did not realize this, of course, and the horse was to undergo severe re-training to prevent such an action in the future.

In the meantime, King William III would consult with his Privy Council regarding the Act of Settlement and how it could best be amended to ensure a clear Scottish succession. He would have no say in the matter, but as he was without heir, he did not want his death to eventually lead to civil war between the realms.

House of Wyndham.png

Interesting idea, looking forward to seeing where this is going, though aren't the Wyndhams Earls of Egremont at this point?

King Ralph is an underrated gem.

Not very underrated, of course, as its not very good, but...

This should be interesting.

You should look at the book upon which the movie 'King Ralph' is based upon, I think it was written in the 1950s or so. A realistic and grissly death for King George V and his family.

David,could you provide the name of the Book?I am interested.

According to the credits to "King Ralph" (after I studied the movie intricately with notes and freeze frames), the movie is based on the novel "Headlong" by Emlyn Williams.

From searching, I see that Williams wrote the novel in 1980 and Wikipedia has, of course, a summary. Just from that great-sounding summary, I could see that King Ralph was a very poor adaptation, and more of a spiritual successor to the book if anything.

Both Ralph and Headlong appear to suffer from the same "succession-crisis-which-doesn't-make-any-logical-sense-since-you'd-assume-they'd-keep-track-of-the-Royal-Family-beyond-just-a-few-dozen."

Thoresby said:
Interesting idea, looking forward to seeing where this is going, though aren't the Wyndhams Earls of Egremont at this point?

I'm trying to make this as realistic as I possibly can. The Wyndham here is a fictional descendant of Thomas Wyndham, 1st Baron Wyndham (1681-1745). I needed an origin for the "House of Wyndham" and if I chose the Earls, it'd become the "House of Egremont" instead. In OTL, Thomas Wyndham never had any children, but he lives at the right age (21) to be affected by the butterflies coming from a longer-lived William III.