The Maple Leaf Forever

December, 31st, 1868

For once, recent memory, Vernon was not thinking about his paper, or Victoria, or anyone, or anything in British Columbia. He leaned back sinking into a large soft chair, the fire lighting the room, keeping the cool December night air at bay. He chuckled to himself and sipped at a glass of rum before shutting his eyes, still chuckling.

"What is it dear?" His young wife asked. Her green friendly eyes looking at him over the pages of her collection of fables. Her raven coloured hair, hanging lose. The help was gone, Vernon back at home, and they were alone. He smiled, looking back at her. "You think it's cold." Maribelle's smile only grew. "Well maybe, if I were to accompany up north now and again. My feelings on things would change." She let her book fall, keeping her place with her thumb, she leaned over towards him, her thin elegant chin balanced on her palm, as her fingers tap the space between her nose and upper lip. Vernon gave his wife a crooked grin, his red walrus moustache tickling his nose.

"I think you would like Victoria. It is a rather nice town. And despite it's attachment to the old Monarchy, it's people are a good sort." He sipped again at his evening drink. He watched his wife's excitement grow, her eyes shine like the stars in heaven.

"Are you making sport at me?" She asked in a devilish tone.

"No. No, my darling not at all." Vernon said putting on fake concern. "They really are a nice sort up there."

Maribelle looked cross for a moment before she broke out in a fit of giggles. "Well, let us go in February then? I would love to see the snow. I've heard so much about winters up north."

"February would work just fine. Perhaps sooner, we can see your cousin in the Washington Territory as she couldn't come down for Christmas this year."

"Yes." Maribelle said looking around. Feeling the quiet of their home. "Tragic that." She and Vernon locked eyes again for a moment, before they both laughed. Vernon sinking back into his seat closing his eyes enjoying the quite, Maribelle returning to her book. When suddenly, quiet, nearly inaudible at first, church bells rang out in the darkness. Small popping sounds came from the streets and revealers bid welcome and sang out. With out opening his eyes, Vernon reached out taking his wife's hand in his, she rub the back of his hand with her thumb.

"Happy New Year Vernon."

"Happy New Year Maribelle."

"I love you."

"And I love you darling."

I am sorry to announce that this story is on hiatus. I had a very long conversation with a friend last night, that has made me reconsider some things. And now I need time to think thing out.

Updates on the situation will be posted when I have reached them.

Again, my apologies.

PM.

Last edited:
Not a problem, you do not owe us. Take you time to work out whatever you need to. If you can't get back to this no apologies are needed or expected.

So, I feel as if I do owe a bit of an explanation. So, here we go.

Before Christmas, I had sent Maple Leaf Forever to a friend of kine to read over, so I could get her opinion on it. She to'd me, that despite the glaring spelling errors, it was one of the best, and probably the most "Canadian" stories she had read. And asked if I were planning on going anywhere else with it.

I to'd her no, that this was just a hobby to keep me entertained.

She seemed slightly annoyed by that but didn't say anything. Until a few days later when I was over at her place. Where the topic of writing came up again, restarting our conversation from before. Which, this time, lasted a few hours.

Now, after talking with her, and asking the opinions of a few other loved ones in my life. I've decided to really out out a true effort in turning this TL into a novel or, if successful a series of novels.

I will no longer be updating the story here for that reason. If my plans fail, it will return however.

Thank you all for supporting this as far as I took it. If anyone has any questions on where the TL was heading I will be more than happy to answer them via PM.

Again, thank you for your support. I look forward to writing more TLs here for you soon.

Before Christmas, I had sent Maple Leaf Forever to a friend of kine to read over, so I could get her opinion on it. She to'd me, that despite the glaring spelling errors, it was one of the best, and probably the most "Canadian" stories she had read. And asked if I were planning on going anywhere else with it.

She seemed slightly annoyed by that but didn't say anything. Until a few days later when I was over at her place. Where the topic of writing came up again, restarting our conversation from before. Which, this time, lasted a few hours.

Now, after talking with her, and asking the opinions of a few other loved ones in my life. I've decided to really out out a true effort in turning this TL into a novel or, if successful a series of novels.

I will no longer be updating the story here for that reason. If my plans fail, it will return however.

Thank you all for supporting this as far as I took it. If anyone has any questions on where the TL was heading I will be more than happy to answer them via PM.

Again, thank you for your support. I look forward to writing more TLs here for you soon.

well I'm truly intrigued, if you publish you have my money.
I only ask that you keep us up to date with it.

Regardless of the outcome for you personally in this regard I wish you all the best for having this TL published. I certainly feel from your updates that this could be commercially successful!

Good Luck.