The Maple Leaf Forever

Calgary was not established until 1875... where Edmonton was established in 1795 this is true.

Calgary it likely is.

Or I can rename Vancouver.

Looks like your most likely options here are Calgary, Regina, and maybe Vancouver. Although, you might want to take into consideration the reasons why some of these cities were named this way. For example, Vancouver was named for this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Vancouver

And he's sorta important to the region. But it is your TL, so do what you want. I'm just trying to help out a bit, although I know you didn't ask for any. :eek::p

Looks like your most likely options here are Calgary, Regina, and maybe Vancouver. Although, you might want to take into consideration the reasons why some of these cities were named this way. For example, Vancouver was named for this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Vancouver

And he's sorta important to the region. But it is your TL, so do what you want. I'm just trying to help out a bit, although I know you didn't ask for any. :eek::p

Yes I'm from B.C., we learned about Captain Vancouver in school.

And its fine. I thank you for your help Coyote, its very welcome and I appreciate it.

Would it be ASB to have him name his Royal House "the House of Pendragon"? :D

Utherly so.

ETA as to names...Winnipeg at this point has no official name - or better said it has about as many names as it has residents. It isn't incorporated until 1873. Even after that time it's a conglomeration of cities, towns, and rural municipalities - 13 in total eventually - with Winnipeg proper being downtown and surrounding areas, such as Fort Rouge where I live.

However, it might be easier to name Calgary after Arthur. All you need is a spark of patriotism to cause James McLeod to name the city after the King or his House rather than a building he'd visited on Mull. With a Winnipeg you'd need to get Winnipeggers to agree on something, and I wish you good luck with that.

Last edited:
You people do know that the city of Port Arthur on L. Superior is/was named for him already in 1870...Gateway ( one of in any case) to the prairies, and far more important logistically than anything on the prairies outside of perhaps Winnipeg.

Though I suppose something on the prairies could be named after his titles.. New Connaught or New Strathearn or perhaps drop the New.

Last edited:
Bumping, because I want to see where this Kingdom of Canada goes.

Sorry, this will keep going I swear. I've just been really busy with work the last few days, there for, very.... very tired once I got home. I have a week off now, then another short week before the run up to Christmas. I will work on this and my other TL soon.

September, 20th, 1867

Sean Mulroney walked the streets of St. John's Newfoundland keeping an ever watchful eye on the storm forebodingly raging over the Atlantic, creeping slowly towards the island. The wind rustled in the trees, but otherwise the night was quite with the majority of the population braising for the coming storm. The protests and demonstrations had died down in the last weeks. Bennett had rallied support but called for calm among "all true British subjects of Newfoundland". Sighing and covering his forehead with his palm Sean started to make his way to the one room second storey apartment he had managed to rent. The Landlord was pathetic of Confederation and had favoured Sean another member that had tried to rent it from him.

As he walked into the room, bringing a candle to life placing it down near a bill resting at his work place near a slanted skylight, the storm breached Newfoundland's boarders as rain began to bombard the island in ever growing strength. The papers resting on the old stained wooden desk was a finance bill, something to do with Education, a program shared with the Federal Government. A program shared with Ottawa. The city, small and muddy resting on a river somewhere on the mainland was almost a cures in the mouths of Newfoundlanders now. From what he understood things were not much different in Nova Scotia. It, in many ways, looked as if Confederation would die when still in it's infancy. He looked at the bill again. The opposition would never let it pass. They wanted nothing at all to do with the Canadians. They all agreed on that, if not being able to agree on an alternative. Most wanted to return to Britain, others a Confederation with the other colonies in the Maritime region, others yet still wanted independence for their own.

The young Legislative Member took out a page of paper from under his seat, replacing the bill on his desk. dipping a pen in ink he started writing down the names of the opposition, their position in the party, if they had one of note, and their stance on Confederation. He would vote for the bill of course, it wasn't overly important by any means. As Sean began placing his list away, he stopped, turned it over and did the same thing for the members of the Governing Party. The storm raged outside as lightning cracked the skies, giving off momentary flashes of bright white light that filled his apartment.

"The Government is going to fall." He said after hours of studying the names, and listing the connections between them. "That is inevitable. The Premier will have to step down." He said whimsicality to himself. He circled five names, along with his own. If Newfoundland were to stay in Confederation after the rise of the opposition, things would have to work out, and work out exactly as he planned. Taking another blank page from his desk Sean started writing a letter to send of to Ottawa, and another copy to be sent to the Premier. He was sure he knew what to do. His first challenge was to convince some of the smartest, most powerful and well respected men in the Kingdom, that he was right.

Last edited:
Hmm....will Montreal become an English-speaking city as per OTL, or will it simply retain its French fabric uninterrupted? If the former, I could see it continue to remain an English-speaking city, continuing to be the biggest city in Canada.

And while Arthur might be doing his opening in French, it would still be Parisian French, no?

Also, wait, scratch my first point....I swear during this point of time, Montreal was an English city.

Hmm....will Montreal become an English-speaking city as per OTL, or will it simply retain its French fabric uninterrupted? If the former, I could see it continue to remain an English-speaking city, continuing to be the biggest city in Canada.

And while Arthur might be doing his opening in French, it would still be Parisian French, no?

Also, wait, scratch my first point....I swear during this point of time, Montreal was an English city.

Only 1/3 of Montreal is English speaking at this time. Even today it is still about the same if my memory serves me properly.

Only 1/3 of Montreal is English speaking at this time. Even today it is still about the same if my memory serves me properly.

Today was the result of Quebec's laws, but I distinctly remember in the past, Montreal was a largely English-speaking city. For the majority of the twentieth century until the Quiet Revolution, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong though. I'm gonna go and do more research.

Today was the result of Quebec's laws, but I distinctly remember in the past, Montreal was a largely English-speaking city. For the majority of the twentieth century until the Quiet Revolution, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong though. I'm gonna go and do more research.

Montreal has never been an "English-speaking city". It's always been mostly French with a large English minority, and various immigrant groups (after all, Montreal used to be Canada's largest and most important city until the 70's). However, Montreal used to be disproportionately run and influenced by English-speaking Montrealers, although there were plenty of French Canadians who ran/helped run the show and had an incredible amount of influence as well. This is where the "Montreal as an English-speaking city" myth comes from.

Montreal has never been an "English-speaking city". It's always been mostly French with a large English minority, and various immigrant groups (after all, Montreal used to be Canada's largest and most important city until the 70's). However, Montreal used to be disproportionately run and influenced by English-speaking Montrealers, although there were plenty of French Canadians who ran/helped run the show and had an incredible amount of influence as well. This is where the "Montreal as an English-speaking city" myth comes from.

Ah. Okay then.

By the way, any chance of a Canadian civil war in this TL?

very unlikely, Im gearing this towards a more unified Canada than OTL. The nearest thing to that will be the Red River Rebellion in 1869.

THOUGH, I will keep it in mind as a possibility, even if just something of a violent On-To-Ottawa-Trek later on.

Just out of curiosity, how did Canada get away with becoming a Kingdom with the ten ton elephant in the british parliment that is Ireland?
Did they settle that miraculously before hand?