The Map Thread for Turtledove's Great War/Southern Victory series

Thande said:
Thanks...I remembered that South and Central America were a bit different to OTL, but I couldn't remember whether it was Gran Colombia or the United Provinces of Central America that had survived. :eek:

Neither. They both broke up before the POD.

Thande

Donor
Possibly. I'm really just guessing at how much of Russia the Ottomans took; however, given that the pogroms of the 1920s were directed purely at Armenians, I'm assuming it wasn't much beyond the Caucasus. (I know that's a flimsy rationalisation but we really have little other evidence).

Thande said:
Possibly. I'm really just guessing at how much of Russia the Ottomans took; however, given that the pogroms of the 1920s were directed purely at Armenians, I'm assuming it wasn't much beyond the Caucasus. (I know that's a flimsy rationalisation but we really have little other evidence).
It is believable that the Turks would persue the Armenians again, but I doubt that they would even try to persecute the peoples of Central Asia due to certain commonalities with the Anatolian courts.

Thande

Donor
One interesting thing is that Settling Accounts: Return Engagement only talks about the Russians being involved in the Ukraine against Germany, not against the Ottomans. Perhaps this indicates the Ottomans didn't take enough of Russia for its regain to be a major issue for the revanchists? Again, dodgy logic here from me, but it's really hard to get an idea of what Europe looks like from the infrequent hints dropped by Turtledove.

Thande

Donor
For the sake of completedness, a trio of flags mentioned by Turtledove from the timeline:

Great War Turtleworld Flags.GIF

Thande

Donor
There isn't one in the middle on my cover, although come to think of it I think you're right, as there are 12 Confederate sates IIRC? And I doubt Featherston would deliberately take off the one representing Kentucky.

Thande

Donor
A point. So there should really be 16 stars (or 15 if they took the Kentucky star off). I would expect the battle flags then to have four stars per arm of the cross. Of course, probably none of the cover artists have bothered to notice this...

Thande

Donor
That's only one cover, the American edition of The Centre Cannot Hold, and it seems clear to me that that's a mistake (or 'artistic license' to try and draw a comparison between the Freedom Party and the Nazis). By way of comparison, the British edition of that same book shows the USS Remembrance being attacked by British planes, when in the book it's Japanese ones.

Thande

Donor
This map shows the state of play in 1863 upon the Confederacy gaining independence. I've left out the Canadian internal borders because I can't find a reference for what they were. :eek:

North America 1863.GIF

Thande said:
This map shows the state of play in 1863 upon the Confederacy gaining independence. I've left out the Canadian internal borders because I can't find a reference for what they were. :eek:
Why would this Canada differ from OTL?

Minor technicality (I don't remember if the error is also Turtledove's).

The "panhandle" of Oklahoma was never part of Indian Territory and would probably not have become part of the state of Sequoyah. It was referred to as "no man's land" and would probaly have been taken over by Texas in the event of a CSA victory in the American Civil War.

Thande

Donor
You're probably right - I had also realised that - but in Turtledove the Indian Territory and latterly Sequoyah has the same territorial extent as OTL Oklahoma.

Thande said:
For the sake of completedness, a trio of flags mentioned by Turtledove from the timeline:
Nice flags.
Did Turtledove ever mention what the flag of the Republique du Quebec is?

Thande

Donor
In one of the American Empire books he mentions it's the same as the flag of the prewar (and OTL) province of Quebec, a white cross on blue with a fleur de lis in each corner.