The Legacy of Saint Brendan: A History of the Western Hemisphere, 512 to 1400

Maybe? I mean, it somewhat depends on a number of factors: first, how well known is the New World outside of the Gaelic and Norse spheres? Obviously, people know that something is out there as there is trade, but that doesn't mean they know a lot. And I suspect that much of what they know is a mix of fact and a hazy cloud of tall tales and outright fabrications. It also depends on how secretive the Norse and Gaels have been about the New World; after all, they really don't want anyone edging into their market.

Secondly, what are the opportunities that second sons currently have in Europe at this time. Not having an inheritance (or much of one) is bad, yes. But that can be mitigated by other opportunities to make a name for one's self closer to home. Can they attach themselves to another Lord who can grant them land and protection? Are there border regions that might allow a well trained, if unlanded, member of the nobility to make a name for themselves and gain land and title? Does the Church offer a career path that might be a draw to some?

Finally, what reception could they hope for in the New World? Would the Ostish and Gaels look kindly upon some unlanded sons of Frankish nobility - who can't even speak the language - showing up to offer their services? Possibly. Or they might show them the door right quick too. Would the Native peoples be receptive to taking such men on? Once again, maybe - as long as the language barrier can be overcome and the Native peoples see a use for them.

My guess is that there could potentially be a trickle of such men coming to the New World. But not that many. Even with meager inheritances, there are a lot of opportunities closer to home that don't require a long and dangerous ocean voyage into a semi-civilized land (my apologize: I certainly don't think of North America in this TL or OTL as uncivilized at this point in history, but our hypothetical Franks likely would) which may or may not have many opportunities available. There would certainly be some who are interested and excited by this type of scenario, but I think they will decidedly be a small minority..

I’m just looking forward to when people other than the Irish or Ostish find out that North America exists.

Besides, even a trickle of Franks would be interesting. After all, I don’t think any of the European groups in North America came in what we’d call large numbers.

I’m just looking forward to when people other than the Irish or Ostish find out that North America exists.

Besides, even a trickle of Franks would be interesting. After all, I don’t think any of the European groups in North America came in what we’d call large numbers.

Based on the last update, I'm guessing the next group to show up in any numbers would be the Galicians. They already fish off the Great Banks, or they would come to in OTL along with the Basque, and so stumbling upon the lands would be relatively simple. Also, their religious differences would add a fascinating element to any colonies or settlements they establish.

One interesting point to consider here: presuming that the Mexico and Andean regions manage to develop strong native states with sufficient technological/materiel base (especially native steelmaking and horsemanship traditions) and large-scale germ resistance, then in theory they would be extremely hard if not impossible to conquer in the manner as the OTL Spanish Empire did, and even if able to be conquered almost certainly not without being extremely messy and unprofitable.

Aside from the obvious implications for New World native geopolitics and culture, the thing is that you also have the sudden absence of a truly massive amount of gold and silver in the coffers of Europe - precious metals which historically gave the Spanish monarchy at the time the enormous economic clout that it did - which means no Price Revolution and a whole lot of implications towards the socioeconomic/political development of Europe. You've also got the mirror impact of this massive amount of wealth existing in the Americas on its own without requiring secondary economic investment/intake by post-colonial states, which while also huge is far harder to give solid figures on given the sheer differences of these two New Worlds.

Then again the PoD being effectively a millennium before any of this came into effect OTL puts any specifics in question, but it's nonetheless something to consider for at least how Europe would develop in this timeline.

Imagine the Incas using their wealth to hire Northern European mercenaries and privateers to fight the Spanish and Portuguese on their borders.

Last edited:
Don't you think that fiat currency will start earlier? After all, many people would still "chase" after increasingly scarce goods. It can start through checks, maybe?

EDIT: Maybe, the burghers unilaterally declare their own fiat currency after they get tired bartering, or could start as a guild "promo" for a claim stub.

Last edited:
One thing I would think would happen sooner rather than later is a demographic surge in Settraland due to the successive waves of migrants and the decline in relative terms of the native population (allowing access to already cleared and cultivated lands and other resources as in OTL) in favor of mixed groups and European settlers. this would have the effect of starting the domino effect of spreading European tech as well as diseases throughout the northern continent and eventually with the spread south as the borrowed tech allows contact south to expand and then destroy.....

So like weird question, but I’m trying to find art for the next Chapter preview, and it’s hard. Mostly because history is so different now and almost all images of Europeans and natives have muskets :p

If anyone can point me to some semi-relevant art, please feel free to do so!

Not 100% sure what you want but I googled Huron Indian pictures and got a wide range. As a major tribe wiped out by the Iroquois Confederation 250 odd years ago they were eliminated before everyone had firearms.

One interesting point to consider here: presuming that the Mexico and Andean regions manage to develop strong native states with sufficient technological/materiel base (especially native steelmaking and horsemanship traditions) and large-scale germ resistance, then in theory they would be extremely hard if not impossible to conquer in the manner as the OTL Spanish Empire did, and even if able to be conquered almost certainly not without being extremely messy and unprofitable.

Aside from the obvious implications for New World native geopolitics and culture, the thing is that you also have the sudden absence of a truly massive amount of gold and silver in the coffers of Europe - precious metals which historically gave the Spanish monarchy at the time the enormous economic clout that it did - which means no Price Revolution and a whole lot of implications towards the socioeconomic/political development of Europe. You've also got the mirror impact of this massive amount of wealth existing in the Americas on its own without requiring secondary economic investment/intake by post-colonial states, which while also huge is far harder to give solid figures on given the sheer differences of these two New Worlds.

Then again the PoD being effectively a millennium before any of this came into effect OTL puts any specifics in question, but it's nonetheless something to consider for at least how Europe would develop in this timeline.
Since the Europeans haven't penetrated to the interior..beyond scouting the eastern part of the Great Lakes, possibly, I doubt the horse culture will be strong in Mexico..but it will probably still be what it was OTL on the Great Plains...which means, more of a nuisance than a total block.

Now if they pick up steel making and immunity from disease...and considering the difference in technology and cultures will not be as great ITTL...yeah, we may have a whole new ball game.

Chapter Six Preview
AF1BA626-DB82-4D88-A4E9-4778AF562175.jpeg

Chapter Six:
The Great Circle
1150-1300

“From the mouth of the Pishon to the forests beyond Setraland, from the Dawnland to the realm of the Purépechans, all men move in the Great Circle ordained by the Most High...”

A Note on Chapter Six
Electronic Communications Between the Author and Oxnaford University Press

“Har (Author),

“We welcome þe sending in of þe latest heading of your work Þe Ervewardness of Saint Brendan. However, we must shrive þat þere are some intings wiþ Heading Six.

“Heading Six deals wiþ a much broader underþrow þan þe afore headings, now þat þe alhood of þe Western Hemisphere (or nearly so) has been brought into play. Þerefore, we ask þat you shape again your heading to allow unburdened understanding of what is taking ord where and by who.

“We þank you for your work, and look forward to your quick andswere-

“At your beþeening,

“Aeþelred Magnusson.”

“Har Magnusson,

“I will do my best to shape again þe heading at your asking. I do beknow þat I was at first unsure at þe underþrow of my work- whether I orspringly minted it to fuster only on Setraland or on the broader underþrow of European settlening. Þe work has grown greater than I foresaw, and I þank you for your þild.

“At your beþeening,

“(Author)”

Note: For those who do not understand the language of the Anglish, Chapter Six will be formatted differently than its predecessors. As the “story has grown in the telling”, beyond the reaches of the North Atlantic island we started on, I need to reorganize the story so that it can all flow together. To that end, each “section” of this chapter will have different subsections to discuss the developments in the various regions of the Western Hemisphere. For example: The first subsection could say “Setraland”, and thus discuss the developments in that nation. The next subsection could say “Fjorthrland” (the in-universe term for Meso-America [it means “Feather-Land”, and its named for the prevalence of “feathered serpent” deities]), and discuss concurrent developments in that region. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask! Thank you for your patience!

Last edited:
Note: For those who do not understand the language of the Anglish, Chapter Six will be formatted differently than its predecessors. As the “story has grown in the telling”, beyond the reaches of the North Atlantic island we started on, I need to reorganize the story so that it can all flow together. To that end, each “section” of this chapter will have different subsections to discuss the developments in the various regions of the Western Hemisphere. For example: The first subsection could say “Setraland”, and thus discuss the developments in that nation. The next subsection could say “Fjorthrland” (the in-universe term for Meso-America [it means “Feather-Land”, and its named for the prevalence of “feathered serpent” deities]), and discuss concurrent developments in that region. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask! Thank you for your patience!

Understood. I hope one of the sections will deal with the K'omani.

I've been asking myself what happened to Engla- I mean Angland. Has William "þe Conqueror" Of Normandie fail to conquer it?
William was butterflied away, but Angland was conquered by the Ostish a few centuries ago (like around 1000 AD I think? I can’t remember everything off the top of my head).
Understood. I hope one of the sections will deal with the K'omani.
Oh, yeah, they’re there. They’re getting to the point where they cannot be ignored (especially by the end of this chapter when they start some... shenanigans)

thank you this is super helpful

Vuu

Banned
Ooh, looks like letter thorn is still used

But eth (for dh-sound like in the and such) didn't? maybe the difference has been deleted from *English?

Ooh, looks like letter thorn is still used

But eth (for dh-sound like in the and such) didn't? maybe the difference has been deleted from *English?

Yep, ð was gradually subsumed into the thorn-mark over the passage of time. Good eye!

Vuu

Banned
Yep, ð was gradually subsumed into the thorn-mark over the passage of time. Good eye!

Yeah I know my deprecated letters from when I made a wholly new English orthography that would follow phonetic rules completely like Serbian does