The Last Territory: Rasslin in the GDR

Chapter I
Chapter I:

"D'you bring toilet paper, boss?"
I turned around to stare at the moon face of the already drunk at noon Lenny Hudson.
"The Hell I'd need to bring that, Sully?"
For reasons no one could remember Lenny was always called "Sully" by the boys. Technically I was no longer one of the boys now that I was kinda sorta figured into the office, but old habits die hard and I could no more imagine calling him "Lenny" than I could picture him calling the boys anything but "boss."
"You should bring toilet paper, boss."
"We're not going up to Canada for a death tour, Sully. It's Germany."
"Yeah, but the wrong Germany, boss. Been there. Trust me. Bring toilet paper."
The day I trust a professional wrestler is the day I buy a ticket to a show and sit with the rest of the marks. Now I knew was being ribbed.
"Good one, Sully."
"Get toilet paper, boss. That's a shoot."
"We're staying at hotels, ain't we?"
"It's your ass, boss. Don't say I didn't warn you," and off he went to get more beer.

I made eye contact with Dan. He nodded and went after Sully, to make sure he could make the flight. The office promised six workers and me. It was my job to deliver the three heels. Dan Street I could trust. Lenny Hudson no one could trust. And Andy Lee was more trustworthy than the Pope. He sat quietly by our bags and studied a map of the "wrong Germany," even though we were promised buses for the tour. Andy was always like that, always planning ahead. Man has never been late to a show in his life. If I was running things, I'd make him an agent and put him in charge of handing out all the finishes to the heels in the back. But I wasn't running shit, so he was just one of the boys, second from the top when in tags and managed by me at ringside, and curtain jerking when a single (with or without me on the outside), because most bookers in my business couldn't book Lassie into a pet shop.

I dug out a roll of dimes and found a payphone. Time to check on the babyface crew. Now, it wasn't my job or nothing, but if we arrived there with just three heels and no opponents for them, then we'd be about as useful as a spare prick at a wedding and not get paid for our troubles. Tim Morgan picked up on the other side on a fourth ring.
"The Hell you still doing at your house, Tim? You should be at the airport."
"I got time."
"It's an international flight."
"I got time."
"What about Jimmy and Randy?"
"I think they're already at the airport."
"You think? For fuck's sake, Tim, you're in charge of them."
"Fuck off, Byron." And then there was a dial tone. What a miserable hillbilly dumb fuck. I'm all for keeping kayfabe and not having heels and babyfaces travel together, but on an international flight? We could have travelled up North to New York City and flew out of there, with me riding herd. Nobody up there knew who the Hell we were. Trust me, I was in charge of totaling up the gate at our spot show in Long Island last weekend. 117 paid in a building that seats 1,500. Meanwhile, Vince and company sold out the Garden two days later, three days in a row, so don't tell me New York is just a bad market or any of that other carny bullshit. Actually, better yet, we should have driven down to San Antone and flew out of there. 168 paid in a 5,000 seat building last month. San Antone, Texas, folks. We drew 4,132 paid in that same arena five years ago with me in the main, wrestling a midget. Christ, now I needed a beer.

"You good with the bags, Andy?"
Andy nodded. I joined Dan and Sully. Dan somehow had already picked out the cutest waitress in the place and was already getting her number. Sully looked on, his mood darkening. Dan saw it as quick as I did and sent the waitress on her way, so she wouldn't have to hear:
"I sold out the Shea!"
I took a deep sigh. Dan, the consummate worker, did not and actually smiled and nodded.
"Shea. Shea stadium. 36,000 paid. 36,000."
Last time he said 35,000. Next time it'd probably 37.
"Me. Me at the top. Shit."
His career certainly turned to it. I don't know the gate at Shea, but doubt it was north of 22,000. Still, any time you fill up a baseball stadium it's impressive. Trouble was, he didn't sell out Shea. His opponent did. And then Vince moved on and found the next heel for Sully's opponent to wrestle and told Sully he can move down the card or pack his bags. Sully packed his bags and has been milking that Shea run for all his worth, for the last ten years. The last five did not well go for him. Which is why he was now getting drunk before noon and getting ready to join me and five other never will-bes and has-beens for an overseas joint tour with four other dying wrestling promotions in a country nobody visited and everyone tried to escape. Welcome to the business.

"Byron B. Ensign." I nodded and the slow as molasses in February airport official stamped my passport and handed it back to me. "Next."
Dan shoved Sully towards the airport official. Sully made it over there without falling down. Presented his passport and posed for a beauty shot. The official was not impressed and said Sully's shoot name. Sully frowned, then Dan told him to accept it in carny and Sully managed a nod.
I breathed a sigh of relief and did not pay attention to Dan and Andy. They got through it quick.

Andy swapped with Sully for an aisle seat and we kept Sully by a window to pass out without troubling others. Dan scanned the stewardesses and told me in carny to watch the brunette. I did. I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers, but definitely not Dan material.
"For you, Bee, not for me."
I blanched. I was no Dan, but I was on basic cable TV show, with a good market share in most midsized Southern towns, on a semi-weekly basis (at least) and I was always on the road, which meant so long as I was not too picky, I could get it and get it good on a regular basis. I did not need Dan to play match maker for me.
"She knows who you are, Bee. She wants to ask you some questions."
How Dan could tell that from not one minute of observation I can't explain, but you wouldn't question Jack Nicklaus telling you what iron to use at Augusta and you shouldn't question Dan when it comes to the fair sex.
"Her name is Deb. Don't call her Debbie unless she introduces herself as such, Bee."
I could barely tell that she was wearing a nametag, much less what was on it from this distance. Meanwhile eagle eye not only read it, but drew conclusions from it.
"Anything else I should know, Sherlock?"
"Yeah. She's not married. Hasn't been divorced. Doesn't have a boyfriend. Kinda jealous Sasha is banging the second pilot."
"Who the Hell is Sasha?"
"Keep your voice down, Bee. Sasha is the redhead in the main cabin, by the jakes."
"And this Deb, not Debbie, knows who I am?"
"That she does, Bee. Go on."
"What am I gonna do, tittyfuck her over the Atlantic?"
"No, of course not. But she flies out of Atlanta regularly, and we hit that town twice a week, so she can be a regular. And I don't need to tell you that having a stewardess for a rat can be good for getting free flying vouchers."
Fun fact: everything Dan wore on his person was bought for him by his ring rats. Everything. I couldn't remember the last time the man spent his own money on his clothes.
"Got a good line for me?"
"Bee, you on TV and she wants to talk. You don't need a line. Just make eye contact and smile."
I followed his instruction and got a smile back.
"You need to write a book, Dan."
"I can barely read one, Bee."

The brunette and I hit it off and everything Dan said turned out to be true. Man is a genius. I was in a good mood from my long, long chat with the gal and it only soured once the pilot got on the horn and told us: "Folks, we have just entered GDR airspace. We should be arriving at our final destination in half an hour. Please have your passport at the ready and fill out the cards our staff will hand out. Please note, you will not be allowed to enter the German Democratic Republic of Bavaria without that card. Thank you for your cooperation."
My brunette bid me farewell and went off to gather the cards to hand out.
I was watching her sashay away when Andy leaned over to me and said in carny, "Sully is dead."

Last edited:
Chapter II
Chapter II:

I was being ribbed. It had to be a rib. I looked over at Sully. His body leaned against the window. He still had on his sunglasses. His mouth was closed. I reached over to poke him, then stopped myself. Instead, I checked for his pulse. There was none. Lenny Hudson was dead. On a plane about to land into Communist Bavaria. And I was responsible for making sure he got there safe. My nuts retreated into my stomach and decided to stay there until I figured it all out. Dan and Andy were looking to me. I had been their ringside manager for five years and their shoot manager for the last two, negotiating their contracts and making sure they would not get screwed over by office. They depended on me for sage advice. I had none to give.

Deb, not Debbie, appeared with the card and handed it to me and the boys. I wanted to tell anyone but her about the dead man now sitting in the same aisle as me and watched her walk away. Let someone other than her be responsible for this international shit show incident. I unbuckled my belt, ignoring the fasten sign light above me. Got to my feet and walked down to the galley. I picked the fattest ugliest one of the bunch standing about there.
"Ma'am, I need to… One of the gentlemen in my party has expired."
The Fattest One blinked. Sasha the Redhead put a hand to her mouth and froze. The other two looked puzzled. I leaned to repeat myself and to clarify, but The Fattest One stepped back and waved her arms as if to ward me off and the trouble I introduced to her life. Sasha stepped back as well. The other two still looked puzzled.
"Byron, is everything okay?"
Deb, not Debbie, was standing behind me and smiling.
I really did not want to ruin her day, but:
"The gentleman in the window seat has died."
She gave me a blink and her hand flew to her mouth. But at least she did not look puzzled.
"I checked his pulse. Uh, look, I am not sure what is the proper protocol for these kind of things. But, I figured… I figured I should notify the flight crew?"
Deb, not Debbie, snapped out of it and nodded. She straightened her body hugging blue uniform, adjusted her little hat and told The Fattest One, "Go tell the pilot, so he can inform The Tower." The Fattest One moved rather fast for a woman of her size.
Deb, not Debbie, then turned to me, "I am going to have to ask you to return to you seat."
I obeyed. Andy and Dan were waiting for answers.
"They are going to tell The Tower. I think."
"Can't be the first time this happened, right, Byron?" asked Andy almost quizzically.
"Right. Can't be. Has to be a procedure for it," I reasoned nonsensically.

Deb, not Debbie, returned to my row. A large beige blanket over her shoulder. She squatted down to be eye level with me and spoke low but clearly, "I will now check the vitals of the passenger in distress. Should I detect no vital signs, I will put a blanket over him and secure him to the seat."
I nodded, as if I had a vote in the matter.
Deb, not Debbie, leaned over and checked Sully's vitals. She then unbuckled his safety belt, put a blanket over him and secured the blanket to his body and then secured both to the seat with the belt. She then turned to me, "I am unable to detect his vitals, but I am not a medical professional. Please stay calm and do not spread undue rumors." Then she left.
She was not within earshot when a Southern banker type, the fat from the in-flight meal bacon glistening majestically on the second of his third chins, leaned from the other row and asked, "What's wrong with your pal there, buddy?"
"Had too much to drink. They're gonna need to get his stomach pumped once we land," said Andy without missing a beat. Andy might have been the nicest man in the business, but he was still a worker and lying to a mark came as easy to him as breathing or going to Church on Sunday.
Triple Chin chuckled and leaned back. But I could tell some of the others were not buying it.

We had to get off this plane. But not before we filled out our cards. Andy already had his done and asked me in carny if he should do Sully's. I figured there was no harm in it. Dan then did his and my hand stopped shaking long enough to do mine. Deb, not Debbie, came by to collect our cards and asked me in a doctor's voice if I was doing all right. Considering I was sitting next to a dead man who was alive when we go on a plane, no, no I was not all right. But I smiled and nodded, because a good worker don't sell nothing to a mark he don't want to sell.

The other stewardesses went out of their way to avoid coming near our row and more marks nearby picked up on it. Gossip started to spread. Little kids turned to look. As did old biddies. Then the three college kids. I started to sweat, like I had something to do with the death.

The pilot came told us we were making final descent.

I started to get angry. Whatever was going to happen next would suck and would involve me. There'd be forms and phone calls and long talks with all of kinds of people. This is not what I signed up for, at all. I wanted to be a wrestler, but having the body of a stick figure and topping off at five foot and three inches I was not going to be The King of Kingsport, Tennessee, never mind Memphis. So I became the next best thing, a hanger-on. I took ring jackets of wrestler back to the locker room, I helped put up the ring and take it down, handed out flyers and dreamed the dream of becoming a referee, maybe. Then one day I caught a fat teen girl trying to sneak into the babyface locker room and cut a promo on her that had the boys rolling on the floor with tears in their eyes. They told the office and I became a heel manager, cutting those promos on the babyfaces. The first time a fan tried to stab me with a pig sticker coated in shit, I knew I had made it. If you can make someone angry enough to get a knife, roll it in pig crap and bring it to a show to take a stab at you, then you know what you are doing as a heel. I was 18 years old. How do you go from being the boy wonder on the cusp of stardom to the guy next to a dead has-been on a flight to the gritty bung hole of Communist Europe? How does that happen, exactly? I closed my eyes for a moment. When I opened them I was still on the flight, next to a corpse.

The plane landed. Some of the marks applauded. More than a few spared glances at us. Deb, not Debbie, walked up and asked us to please stay on the plane. We nodded. The fasten seat belt signs dimmed and most of the passengers unbuckled and tried to be the first of the plane with their things. We were in the middle of the plane. Twenty people passed us, staring at the blanket body. Now, the boys and I are used to being stared at by marks, so this was actually the most natural thing in the world for us to be doing, being the centers of attention. Dan winked at the pretty girls. Andy scowled at the men. I snorted at derision at them for not being lucky enough to be seated next to us and a body wrapped in a blanket. It was a balm to our nerves.

When the last mark left the plane, Deb, not Debbie, came over and sat across from me.
"The Tower said they will be sending some people. One of them is bound to be a doctor to pronounce the gentleman dead. The others…" she paused, trying to find the right words.
I had an inkling of what would come next as I did the research on Bavaria before coming over, a habit I picked up ever since I was sent to my second territory. After Tennessee, I did me a spell in Louisiana. One night I was managing Andrew Lee and Connie Colson, may he rest in peace, though he was a pervert. We were the heels, naturally. The babyface team we were facing was a plucky duo of black as midnight Sammy Watkins and some blonde kid full of promise who never made it. The road agent told us to tar and feather the babyfaces after we cheated them out of a win. Now, Andrew and Connie were both Tennessee boys and we had seen heels tar and feather babyfaces in Memphis since the dawn of black and white TV. It got people made and they booed and threw things at you when you did it. Well, they didn't boo and throw things at us in New Orleans, when we did it to Sammy Watkins in a downtown arena, they damn near killed us. See, in Louisiana, the tarring and feather was what the Klan did to run people out of town. I didn't know that and almost died because of it. Ever since then, whenever going into a new territory, I boned up on its history, just in case some office dolt asked us to start talking about how great Cromwell was in Dublin.
"They're going to send State Security?"
Deb, not Debbie, blinked at me and nodded, a bit surprised by my knowledge.
"Pair of them, so they can keep an eye on each other while they question us?"
Deb, not Debbie, gave me a second startled nod.
"Who else is coming?"
"The transportation police. They are in charge of airport security. They'll be wearing the green-brown uniforms. There will also be criminal police, since they investigate all serious crimes regardless of where it takes place in GDR. They'll be wearing gray-blue uniforms. And there may be a third set of police officers as well. They are supposed to liaison in all crimes involving foreigners. They'll be wearing dark blue."
I suppose this as good as time as any to tell you I'm color blind. But I nodded.
"How long do you think this will take?"
"Not sure."

We heard noises outside. Sasha the Redhead power walked to Deb, not Debbie.
"They're keeping them all on the tarmac."
"Who?"
"All the passengers. They are not letting them into the airport until the police gets here."
Well, the good news is that as heels were wanted people to hate us. Maybe one of those left to stand on the concrete outside would be so angry at us for having a dead traveler in our party they'd buy a ticket to watch us get our asses kicked tonight. If we were going to make a show. We had four hours.
There were more shouts of dismay outside. Bursts of staccato in the PA in German and English. More shouts. Then more PA announcement to a chorus of groans and complaining.
Dan produced a pack of cards, "Lets play skat?"
Andy stared at him.
"S-K-A-T, Andy. It's a game they play out here. I've been learning. Three men game."
Deb, not Debbie, made her excuses and left. I turned to Dan and got cut off in carny:
"You don't want her to remember as the guy sitting next to a corpse, Bee. Best to not talk to her again until we're back in Atlanta."
"I don't have her phone number."
"I'll get it from Sasha."
"I thought Sasha was banging the second pilot?"
"Yeah, but she's cottoning on he won't be leaving his wife for her any time soon. I'll get Sasha's digits, she'll get Deb's and we'll do a double-date in Hotlanta. Back to skat, boys."

Skat makes no sense, but it's a good way to kill two hours. Which is how long it took for two fellas in cheap suits my drunken uncle wouldn't wear on his way to the liquor store to get on the plane. Four cops in uniform followed them. I can't tell Commie ranks apart and being color blind couldn't tell who was what. Two minutes later, another copper showed up with a harried looking guy with a falling apart carpetbag and half-moon glasses perched on a bulbous nose of a serious drinker. The carpetbagger was wearing an even cheaper looking suit than the others. They got us separated. They made a path for the carpetbagger and he took off the blanket, checked the tongue, eyes and pulse and declared the man dead. I think. I don't speak German.

One of the coppers spoke decent English and asked us our names, while looking at cards, with one of the first set of fellas in a cheap suit looking over his shoulder. The other fella from the first set of cheap suits had a notebook and a pencil and was writing down a lot of things, even when we weren't say anything. Fifteen minutes of them asking us about when and how we thought the man under the blanket had expired, the fella with the notepad closed it, put it into his pocket and walked up to Sully. He patted him down and tested the seams of his jacket. Then got all excited and called over the other fella. The two of them kept feeling the bottom of Sully's jacket and chattering, while the only copper who spoke English studied us, saying nothing.

Then one of the fellas asked carpetbagger for something and he produced a scalpel. This was used to tear open Sully's jacket and they pulled out a paper package wrapped in cellophane.
"Do you know what that is, Comrade Ensign?"
I shook my head, but had a sneaking suspicion it was nose candy, though the package looked large. I didn't think Sully could afford that much, unless he knew a friend of a friend of a mark.
English speaking cop relayed my words to clearing disbelieving fellas. They unwrapped the package together, without bothering to put on gloves or anything else I'd see in TV shows about coppers. Inside the paper package was a tightly pressed sheaf of flimsies bound by a rubber band. The topmost flimsy had a lot of writing on it in German in small cheap font. That I saw later, the first thing I saw was the top of the flimsy. It had a black swastika on the right, a Bavarian Commie red hammer encased in a yellow wreath on the left, and an equal sign between them.

Last edited:
Chapter III
Chapter III:

You ever have that dream where you're in your underwear in front of your whole school? That's what I felt like when the Bavarian Commie fella in a cheap suit pulled out an anti-Commie leaflet from the pocket of Sully. I am not going to say me and Sully were blood brothers. But he was one of the boys and me and him shared some territories in the last three years or so, so I can tell you that the only politics that Sully gave two shits and a holler about were backstage kind. Sully barely knew the name of the US President and once asked me if Reagan was a Democrat or a Republican. The extent of his understanding of the wider world revolved around him remembering which Korean promotion had an agreement with ours: New Korea or Pan Korea, so he would not piss of the wrong office personnel when he booked his appearances there.

All this I tried to think in a coherent manner as the fellas in the cheap suits and yardbirds in police unis started going ape shit and pointing fingers and hollering at me, Andy and Dan. I threw up both hands and yelled out:
"Go ahead and search me, you won't find that shit on me."
English speaking copper translated some of that to his pals and that quieted them down some, except for the two in the cheap suits, who kept on jabbering and jabbing their fingers at us.
"Will your two companions submit to searches as well, Comrade Ensign?"
When you travel with the boys, you get to know their habits. Some like pills. Some like devil's weed. Some like nose candy. Most like all three. Andy was clean. Dan... was Dan. He surfed for fun and hailed from Hawaii. He was not above carrying weed on him on a long flight to world's end. But the only politics that interested Dan were the kind that got him laid. I once saw him convince a Republican thumper gal he was all for saving babies and the next night he got a feminist in the sack by talking about a woman's right to choose.
"Comrade Ensign?"
"Look, you not gonna find any political crap on any of us. But I don't trust you not to plan nothing on us, no offense. So call the consulate official and him come on down and then you can search us for political stuff, of which you find none."

The English speaking copper did not bother to translate any of that to his jabbering monkey allies, thought for a moment and lowered the tone of his voice so only I could hear him:
"It might take a while for a consulate official to show, Comrade. I would hate for you to be late to the wrestling show. And suppose during the search of you and your companions we would find certain... items not legally allowed to be transported into Germany? I would hate for you to get into trouble over smuggling in some recreational items. Suppose, Comrade Ensign, you would consent to be searched by me right now, and if I were to find no political propaganda, I would search your companions and only look for political items."
"Let me ask the boys."
He nodded. I spoke carny:
"Any of you holding?"
Andy shook his head. Dan shrugged.
"Pills, or...?"
"Or. I didn't trust the locals to have medicine."
Weed it is then.
"Cigarette pack?"
"Sealed, Bee."
It was an old trick. Buy a pack of smokes, open it, put in some joints, reseal the pack in plastic and walk on through the customs. Dan was wearing his red leather jacket. It had more pockets than Monroe had husbands.
"Which pocket?"
"Front left."
"How many?"
"One for every other night on the road. I ain't greedy."
Two week tour. Seven joints. I turned back to the English speaking cop:
"Get a consulate official, please. We'll do a full search with him present, as we have nothing to hide."
The English speaking copper was a confused as Andy and Dan. Call me weird, but I don't go into the habit of trusting policemen, especially from a country where they have no democratic rule of law or jury trials. The English speaking copper gave me a funny old look and translated to the jabbering monkeys. They started quizzing him, not us. I spoke carny while not looking at no one in particular:
"Dan, crack open that pack of cigarettes, light up a regular, then treat these assholes to regular ones as well. Stick one regular cigarette behind your ear and when no one is looking start eating the funny ones."
"Eating them, Bee?"
"Eat them all, Dan. While we wait."
"I done never ate them before, Bee."
"Guess we gonna find out what that's like."

The English speaking copper bade us to stay in our seats. The corpse was removed. The fellas in cheap suits stayed behind, along with the guys in uniforms and Dan treated everyone to some smokes. You should have seen their eyes light up when Dan gave out free American made quality cigarettes. They were so busy puffing, they created a cloud Hitler probably used to slink off from Berlin to the mighty, mighty "Alpine Redoubt," never mind Dan eating seven cigarettes full of marijuana. Andy kept an eye on him, in case he'd have to restrain Dan, but Dan showed no ill effects.

Everyone was so happy, I was even given phone privileges and ran off to make a call to what passed for a promoter in this town: some dipshit theater manager, formerly of Tampa, Florida and currently of Munich, Bavaria. I told him of our situation:
"We'll be late to the show, but can still make the card, minus Sully."
"Sully?"
"Lenny Hudson. He died on the plane."
"Oh my... That's terrible. Is there anything I can do?"
"Depends. Did the babyfaces make it?"
"Babyfaces?"
I hate marks.
"Jimmy, Randy and Tim."
"Tim missed his flight and is coming in later. Jimmy and Randy are here already."
Even better.
"All right. Put Dan and Andy against them."
"Uh, okay. I have you as the fifth match?"
I hate marks.
"How many is that from the top?"
"Uh, Yoshida vs. Kanemura is in the main event..."
Kanemura was greener than grass, but Yoshida could make a broomstick have a decent match. I'd have slotted the match in the middle, just to be safe, but I'm not Rikidōzan. The fat old man wanted his boys in the main event, so he got his boys in the main event... in fucking Munich, Commie Bavaria.
"The match before that is, uh, Los Banditos vs. Fishman and Los Caballeros Durango?"
I did wonder who UWA would send on this tour. Fishman was old as shit. He had a colorful mask and a good body, which got him write-ups and photos in the mark mags, but in the ring, he'd drag everyone down. On the other hand, Mando, Chavo and Hector would make him look good and Caballeros wrestled down to their opponent's level. If those five had their working shoes on and we had to follow them, they could make us look bad. Good to know they were after us.
"The match before that is Beaucoup Betty and Alaskan Allie vs. Molly Mayhew and Lacey Lexi."
Molly could go. Beaucoup Betty was washed up and and didn't know a wristlock from a wristwatch. Allie was fat pile who did monster heel spots against tiny girls and even then not very well. Lexi gave the best blowjobs in the business, per Dan. Her oral skills must have been the reason she was brought on an overseas tour as her in-ring stuff looked phonier than a three dollar bill.
"Before them, I have El Dandy vs. El Hijo del Rojo Demon."
El Dandy was half decent, but Demon Jr. was the drizzling shits.
"Then I was supposed to have your team against Tim and Jimmy."
"Put us on after El Dandy. Dan and Andy vs. Jimmy and Randy. Got it?"
Demon Jr. would stink up the joint, then we would come riding to the rescue. The girls would kill the crowd and the Mexican trios match would get everyone into it again, though it'd be harder for them then for us, on account a singles match between a rookie and a veteran would not last too long, so the stink would not last as long as the girls match. Beaucoup Betty never booked herself in a tag match that went less than twenty minutes. It was one of her many, many horrible traits.
"Okay, Mr. Ensign."
I hung up and returned to the cabin.

Given we were wrestlers, the consulate sent the lowest ranking person not mopping the floors. He hemmed and hawed and looked through the propaganda leaflets and kept wanting to call his superiors. But eventually once he realized we three consented to be searched by the Commie cops in his presence, stood by and watched. Andy and I got down to our skivvies easy. When you're one of the boys, getting dressed and undressed in a room full of strangers comes second nature. But once Dan started taking off his clothes, every stewardess on the plane stopped doing what she was doing to come over to take a gander, and Dan, like a good worker, put on a show them gals will remember to their dying days. Even the fellas in the cheap suits were impressed. They poked through our stuff for a while after that, but couldn't find nothing, because there was nothing to find. I checked my watch and realized that if we were all done in the next fifteen minutes, we could still make the show before opening bell, minus the dead man. Where they stored him I had no idea, so when the consulate official started asking about him, I wanted to kick him in the nuts.

We were officially late to the show once all the forms got filled out and we put our clothes on. We were told to report to some office tomorrow for a follow up discussion, but seeing as how they found nothing on us I figured we got off better than we were. We found the taxi guy waiting for us, four hours late, but by the look on his face he was more or less used to waiting and was promised a pay day regardless. Off we drove.

I did a show in downtown Detroit once, before Sheik killed the territory dead and was still in the process of killing it, and I remember what that drive to that shithole was like up from my hometown of Kingsport, Tennessee. Munich made Detroit looked like a Garden of Eden. Gray concrete slabs pretending to be buildings lined the roads and the only color to be had were from neon signs on some of the roofs spelling out Commie propaganda.
Andy shocked the shit out of me by speaking German to the taxi driver.
After the taxi driver was done speaking, Andy nodded and looked about the place.
"Since when do you speak German?"
"Oh I served up in Dresden when I was in the Army, Bee."
"No shit. Why didn't you say nothing when those yardbirds were screaming at us?"
"One of 'em spoke English, so I thought it was all right. He didn't say nothing wrong either, so I let him."
"What'd you ask the driver?"
"What the signs said. I can speak German a little, but can't read it right."
"What'd it say?"
"'Eisner lived. Eisner lives. Eisner will always live.'"
Made sense. Well, as much sense as Commies ever make. As I told you, I read up on places before I go there so not to offend the locals by accident when I want to offend them on purpose. Right after Germans lost the War, the first one, I mean, Kurt Eisner was the Bavarian socialist who declared independence and got shot by a right-wing nutjob. Funny thing, Eisner was so well liked, even Adolf Hitler attended his funeral, wearing a red armband. Go figure. Where it becomes really funny, all of this happened before the Bavarian Commies decided to double down and declare another independence and proclaim the Bavarian Commie state in 1919. That went over about as well as a gangbang at a family picnic and they got stomped like rats in a water closet. Now, you would think the Bavarian Commies of today would try to call on those full-blown Commies as opposed to only half-a-Commie like Eisner. Except the full-blown-Commies of 1919 Bavarias were nuttier than a squirrel and half of them were anarchists to boot and philosophers and mystics and latter-day Hollywood writers. No, seriously, one of them got a start in Hollywood writing Westerns once the Bavarian Commies got stomped out. So all of these real Bavarian Commies got swept under the rug and Eisner was retro-actively made the founding father of the Bavarian Commie republic, whose spiritual heir today was the German Democratic Republic of Bavaria, founded in 1945 or '55, depending on who you ask.

We drove up to something that looked like what an Ancient Greek would throw up after eating gray concrete. It was the venue. It looked huge.
"Ask him how many does it seat?"
Andy went back and forth with the driver.
"30,000, Bee."
Shit. On the one hand we were in a virgin territory, and nobody toured here before, so they at the very least should have been curious. On the other hand, getting 30,000 people to show up for something they did not see on TV beforehand and had a compelling reason to see some heel get his ass kicked by their designated hero was a mighty tall order.
We tipped the driver five marks (well, South-marks, but that's not what they called it here) and ran into the back.

"You're late. Gonna have to fine you."
The words came from the mouth of a sawed off little runt I done never seen before.
"Who are you?"
"I'm Wally, Larry's brother."
"And who's Larry?"
"The guy running this outfit."
Vaguely I recalled the guy on the phone answered to Larry.
"Well, Wally, Larry's brother, you can't fine us, on account we don't work for you or your brother, you little cocksucker. And if you don't want to find out what it's like to pick up teeth off the ground with broken fingers, I suggest you get the fuck out of my way, find a milk crate to stand on so you can qualify to at least be called a midget and go fuck yourself, which I doubt you can, on account your dick is probably so small it counts as a pussy."
Wally stood there blinking, with his jaw open. The boys all around had themselves a good laugh.
I brushed past Wally and found El Dandy. He was sweat free, a good sign that:
"Your match go on already?"
"Nah. I'm up next, Bee."
"Thank you much. How's the ring and the ropes?"
"Ropes are hemp, so running is easy, but that ring is a piece of shit. They used too much plywood under it. I wouldn't bump on it if I were you."
"Fuck. Thanks, amingo. Who can run a message to the babyface locker room?"
El Dandy looked around and picked out a skinny kid in an ill fitting referee striped T-shirt.
"What's your name, kid?"
"Shoot or work?"
"If you ain't working me the fuck I'd want to know your work name?"
"Oh. Sorry. I'm, uh, new to..."
"Your name, kid."
"I'm Carlos."
"Carlos, run over to the babyface locker room, find Randy. Tell him he's the babyface in peril for the heat, Tennessee Two-Step, hot tag, house afire, they hit a double team finisher for the win. Half hour. Tell him to make up a finisher. Something simple that don't involve a big bump. Got it?"
"I think so, uh..."
"Call me 'Bee,' kid."
The kid nodded and went through the curtain right around the same time "Wildcat" Jones stepped through, covered in a sheen of sweat and cursing. "Wildcat" was here as a representative of a Dakota promotion that was running on fumes, which is too bad, on account he was a good worker, just could never keep his mouth shut around office people.
"Jonesy, how's the house?"
"Looks full, but silent as a church."
"Shit."
"You said it, Bee. Ain't nothing popping them. I wanted to get some juice, but..."
We were all warned against blood. Nobody was to get any juice on themselves while on tour. If you got juice hardway, they'd stop the match. It sounded dumb, but Hell, I wrestled in Maryland and their athletic commission is full of marks with the same rules.

I called Andy over. "Andy, feel 'em out?"
Andy nodded, grabbed his gear and stood by the curtain. El Dandy went through it for his match.
I went to change for the match next to Dan, leaving Andy to it. Andy read crowds better than anyone I ever rode with. Sometimes, we'd step into the ring and Andy would look around and say, "They wanna laugh today." And instead of being mean, brutal heels cutting off the babyfaces and stomping a mudhole in them we'd play Keystone Kops and let the smart babyfaces win the day. Sometimes he'd say, "Babyface gotta earn it." And instead of letting the babyfaces run wild on us early with us cutting them off and beating on them, we'd cut off the babyfaces just as they were starting their run and beat on them until the crowd felt the babyfaces earned the right to kick our asses by enduring an asskicking from us.

Andy came back to us as I was gimmicking up the badminton racket I carried to the ring. The handle was taped up just so that when it I hit a babyface in the ribs with it, it'd fall to pieces in front of the marks and the babyface would crumple to the mat as if shot.
"Bad crowd, Bee. Freebies."
Shit. If you work in the business long enough you gonna find yourself booked by a mark pretending to be a promoter. He'll hire you and a dozen others and make all kind of promises about a payday, book a big venue and then won't be able to draw paying customers to see you perform. So he starts sweating and will giveaway tickets on the dumbass assumption that if people will come and see his shit for free, next time he comes to town, they'll pay for the privilege. Never works. But that's the promoter's side of things. For the workers, it means performing in front of people who not only did not come to see you, but did not even want to see your sport. It was either this or staying out in the rain, so they came inside and hoped like Hell you'd keep their kids occupied for a couple of hours so they wouldn't have to sit with the brats at home.
"Well, boys, we getting paid part of the house by the home office regardless. So lets just have a safe ma..."
Dan interrupted my Patton speech by throwing up all over me and falling down on his ass.
"Bee, I think all that shit I ate just hit me."

Last edited: