The Last Ship (TNT Series)

Well he did appoint him Chief of Naval Operations which is an Admiral's Billet so you might say he really jumped up the ladder. Really the doctor getting shot was an act of stupidity. The Chandler and his executive officer got careless and let down their guard. The result is the doctor was shot. Hopefully they will save her life unlike in Strike Back where her character was killed.

A promotion to Captain can be done in the Field, but Flag rank requires Senate approval, and that has to wait until there's a new Congress elected and convened. The same goes for appointing Cabinet officials, though the proviso "Acting" can be used until such appointments are confirmed by the Senate. Contingency planning for post-nuclear war continuity of government will come in handy.

The Doc will pull through (this is TV, after all), but it does show the problem of Immune die-hards. The President will likely apply the carrot when possible (pardons, grants of amnesty, etc. if they accept the cure), but wielding the stick if they don't. Lone wolves, such as the shooter, though, will be a problem. Besides, a lot of fans of the show are hoping for a wedding-either the Doc and the Captain, or the Doc and Tex-my bet's on the Doc and Tex, while the Captain and Quincy's widow seemed to hit it on in Norfolk, and she and her daughter are living with Chandler's dad and kids).

Any other thoughts on where they may go for Season 3? One thing for sure: the Nathan James will have a new crew member when they are ready for sea again: LT Kara Foster will have had her baby by that time.

Ramsey mentioned the Immunes had strongholds in Europe. I'm sure sombody mentioned Bulgaria at one point? I think a trip across the Atlantic is likely.

True that the President's powers to promote are limited but as during the Civil War and other wars Chandler will have the acting rank of Admiral and the permanent rank of Captain until a congress can be elected and meet.. It will be interesting to see how much of the US military is still operational. I would expect that the Nathan James will not be the only operational warship.

I like that they recited the names of all the KIA sailors. Most TV shows just forget about dead characters the next episode.

Paying homage to their fallen shipmates.....And did anyone see that the only one who noticed Danny and Kara kissing was Halsey (the ship's military working dog)?

Halsey just keeps showing up out of nowhere.

I don't think hes been in an episode since the beginning of the season.

He's been in a couple. When they were first evading the sub, and the ship's going on silent routine, Danny tells the dog to lay down. The dog is now a national-level asset.....

Speaking of rank, I thought the XO was a Lt Cdr. If so he should have had 2 and 1/2 strips on his dress uniform not 3 (I can't remember what color the oak leaves on his working uniform was)

There should have been more naval vessels. Even with the virus, some should have been isolated - for example US nuclear submarines

I didn't like how the guy who shot Doctor Scott at the end of the season yelled "sic semper tyrannis." I mean, I get it's a reference to Lincoln's assassination, but "thus always to tyrants" doesn't make much sense in that scenario.

The XO is a full CDR, same as the Captain. If you look at the burial at sea scenes in Season 1 and the party in Season 2's finale, he's got three stripes, which makes him a full Commander.

To that lunatic, those who created and spread the cure destroyed the dream of an Immune-dominated America. Their dream is over, like John Wilkes Booth and the other conspirators' dream of an independent Confederacy. So they go after those responsible. It'll be a long wait until Season 3....

The XO is a full CDR, same as the Captain. If you look at the burial at sea scenes in Season 1 and the party in Season 2's finale, he's got three stripes, which makes him a full Commander.

That's weird I've only ever seen a CMDR as an XO once and that was because the ship was senior enough to have a CAPT as the Commanding Officer. Usually even if the CO was a CAPT the XO was still a LCDR.

But that would detract away from the series I imagine.

True that the President's powers to promote are limited but as during the Civil War and other wars Chandler will have the acting rank of Admiral and the permanent rank of Captain until a congress can be elected and meet.. It will be interesting to see how much of the US military is still operational. I would expect that the Nathan James will not be the only operational warship.

Im sure in the first season it was mentioned most ships were ordered back to port for some reason. Its likely their crews fell victim onshore. The Nathan James only remained at sea as it had a mission. That being said i think other USN vessels will be operational somewhere.

Ramsey mentioned the Immunes had strongholds in Europe. I'm sure sombody mentioned Bulgaria at one point? I think a trip across the Atlantic is likely.
Tha would be interesting, to see how many countries in Europe are in the hands of the immune
I assume, they must first solve the problems in SouthAmerica, being the closest, then Oceanir or Asia, and then , the new invasion in Europe

There are probably boomers (Ballistic-missile subs) out there, and some captains may have disobeyed orders to return home, or their ship was unable to return home (in a foreign port and unable to obtain fuel, for example, or having mechanical difficulties). Some may have decided to put to sea shorthanded to avoid the pandemic once the chain of command had broken down. I'd check places like Bermuda or the Lesser Antillies: there may be USN (or RN) ships there, waiting for someone to tell them to come home, there is a cure.